Just Goodness - Tell Us what you Like!

kontraxed

What a wonderful thread!

Here's my list of things that came immediately to mind:

• I love getting my first view of the ship and knowing that in a few hours I'll be leaving my "real life" behind for a few days.
  • I love the fact that I can relax so thoroughly on a ship.
  • I love being able to read without feeling guilty that I should be doing housework.
  • I love not having to plan, cook, and clean up after meals.
  • I love sailing through the inside passage and seeing the beautiful scenery.
  • I love looking for whales.
  • I love the beautiful islands of the Caribbean.
  • I love meeting new friends from our roll-call or onboard.
  • I love being able to chat with the crew and being able to find out about their homes, their families, and their lives.
  • I love sleeping on the ship, with the motion helping to rock me to sleep.
  • I love doing research on cruise critic to help make our cruise as wonderful as possible.

I love not having to make big decisions on vacations such as where to eat, etc.

I love paying for the vacation before I even go or at least knowing about what it will cost before I go.

I love going places that I only dreamed about going.

On and on it could go. Nancy

What a great thread!

I love:

Never having to make a bed;

Never shopping for, cooking or cleaning up food;

Never washing a load of clothes;

Being away from family and friends so that when I return I appreciate them all the more;

The smell of salty air;

Swimming in warm ocean water (live in Maine and the water is NEVER warm)

Seeing wonderful new destinations without having to fly!

And in two weeks we are cruising with our two sons to Bermuda so I can't wait to spend a full week being able to play, chat and interact with them without the distractions of daily life and the inevitable responsibilities. I look forward to seeing their expressions when they see the blue, blue water and the colorful fish.

~I love leaving the wet towels on the floor and having new clean ones "magically" appear later

~I love that I don't have to drive anywhere

~I love that I don't have to walk my dog (sorry Mosey!)

~I love that our family is together, and that there is limited television

~I loved our cruise so much I rebooked for same cruise next year!

Guest pcreek

I love going out of NYC in Jan / Feb....when you KNOW it will be warmer in a day or two.

I loved coming back into NYC Feb. 2006 -- to the entire City shut down due to snow...loved the snow on the balcony! hey - if you HAVE to come back to snow, it might as well be exciting!! That trip was with my mom & oldest daughter - just the 3 generations. We had a wonderful time.

I love early morning coffee on the balcony...awaiting the sunrise with camera in hand...to evening coffee or wine on the balcony....awaiting the sunset...with camera in hand... LOL

I loved the trip Feb 07 with just my mom - we had all these top lattitude perks due to promotion they were running on board in 06 for pre-booking... that was really nice....(as it will be many years to top level lattitude again).

I love when the ship is a little rocky....walking down the long carpeted hallway to the room, with others 'walking' in front of you....everybody baby steps to the left....then zig zags to the right.... lol... and everyone laughing.

(my daughter made the discovery that the more you drink, the straighter you walk on a ship! )

I absolutley LOVE Cruise Critic boards....to read while on break at work (with Carribean jam playing on the XM radio plugged in) to relive all these wonderful memories....chuckle at the gripes and complaints...wishing I was griping and complaining at this moment about waiting in line at Venetian...arriving very early to get in line to get a coveted BIG window seat...only to have the 5 other groups ahead of you get all the seats.. LOL then laughing and sitting on the side..where the food is just the same, btw. LOL

Thanks for this thread!! <sigh> now back to work.

I agree with sailing by the Statue of Liberty but would like to add hearing bagpipes as we pulled into Halifax from the balcony (balconies add more to the experience). Cave tubing in Belize, kissing a sting ray, a wild taxi ride in Guatemala and so many other great memories. But I guess the biggest are the cruises to come...the anticipation, the planning and reading posts like this one that really get the imagination soaring.

I love being rocked to sleep by the motion of the ocean.

I love the sound of the waves slapping against the ship.

I love watching lights on shore as we sail by at night and wondering . . .

I love my husband handsom, husband with his warm arms around me as we stare out at the sea.

I love the spontoneity of dropping into a shop or cafe or cantino.

I love discovering little things about a far away place.

I love holding a little momento of one of those places and returning there again with only a sigh. My little stacking dolls from Russia or my tiny alabaster vase from Italy.

I love dreaming of the next cruise!

OH yeh, and all of the above postings too!

agree...some of the best of traveling:

the constant discussing of the ports and planning the trip. the time between thinking of booking and taking the trip..nice converstions:D

walking around the ship and hearing friendly voices asking about my day.

exploring new places in countries i never thought i would be able to go to.

plus everything everybody has posted.

There's also all the things I don't do anywhere else except on a cruise.

In my "normal" daily life, I never play bingo. I don't get to go into hot tubs. I wouldn't be caught dead in a spa. I don't get massages. I wouldn't play trivia in a bar with other people. I wouldn't think of going to an art auction. I would never just kick back with a cup of coffee and literally watch the world go by. I don't eat at teppenyaki type restaurants. I don't sit around a lounge at night sipping on a drink and listening to the piano player. You might ask why not and I wouldn't have a good answer.

...but I do (with great pleasure) all these things on a cruiseship!

Most of all I LOVE the wonderful friends I have made on my very first cruise. We have become very good friends, "chatting" almost everyday and getting together and doing things in addition to cruising together.

Cruise Critic is great!!!!!!!

Of course I echo the sentiments of the above posters too!

What's not to LOVE your on a cruise!:D I really do love our Butler because we don't have one at home, I love our concierge service (saves us time) and the room stewards do all the work I don't want to do. We love booking a PH so we can have new friends we meet come join us for private parties. We love not being in our real world for a week or two, just so DH and I can reconnect and realize we love each other more today than all the yesterdays. I could go on and on about ports, meeting really good people, memories ect., but I just have one more sentence. Life is good when you can cruise!:D

Retiredonthesea

I love:

planning out all the details of the cruise,

turning in my time off request at work,

getting to think about nothing,

getting to worry about nothing except where to eat for dinner,

and the best part - relaxing with my husband and having a blast with him. I'm all smiles for a week and it's great.

My job is all about time right now. I am a therapist and we have to see patients for a specific amount of time each day or we won't be reimbursed for the entire time they stay with us at the hospital. Our bosses can make it a very stressful working environment - so the best part about NCL is not having to worry about timing for ANYTHING. It was heaven, I swear.

I love planning and waiting and packing.

I love flying.

I love my room steward.

I love warm smiles from the faces of all the staff who make my vacation special.

I love doing what I want, when I want, if I want.

I love being rocked to sleep in the middle of the afternoon with the sounds of the water and the scent of the sweet sea air drifting in through my open balcony door.

I love sending out my underwear and socks to be laundered and having them returned neatly folded and arranged in a paper lined basket.

I love watching children splashing in the pool.

I love having the pool to myself and floating on my back looking at the stars when all the children have gone to bed.

I love relaxing on a lounge chair with my helmet of Corona and bowl of lime slices.

I love dressing for dinner and sitting across from my husband, studying the lines and wrinkles that have softened his face these 30 years and loving them.

I love the warm sun and warm water on GSC when I know there are ice burgs in the waters surrounding our Island home.

I love NCL for coming up with the concept of relaxed, less formal, more restful freestyle cruising!!!

WinterSky

Love this thread, I love

Not having to drive and waking up in different places.

Getting to the peir early and being one of the first on the ship

Relaxing in the sun by the pool reading and listening to the music.

Staying up late dancing in the clubs and no wondering who will be the DD and drive home.

Sleeping in late on sea days

Freestyle

All the friends I've made on my cruises.

I just love planning the next cruise

And I could go on and on

I think that is what I love about cruising the most. . .it brings families closer together. With at least one sea day, probably more, nobody is going anywhere:D

I have precious memories of cruises with our dd from elementary school age until she was in college

I have precious memories of celebrating my parents 50th anniversary with them, my sisters and our families

I have precious memories of spending couple time with my dh

That is why cruising is special, it appeals to all ages and interests.

I love dressing for dinner and sitting across from my husband, studying the lines and wrinkles that have softened his face these 30 years and loving them.

WinterSky

Now that brought a tear to my eye Wintersky! Great comment!

Coka

My DH normally has to carry 2 pagers and 2 cell phones. I love that when he comes home from work on that last day and I am doing the final packing and he turns off both cell phones and both pagers (something he can NEVER do) and says "I am in cruise mode!". We close up the suitcases, put them in the car and head for the airport. We are far enough from the airport that we always go the night before and stay. It gives us a place to leave the car, a shuttle to the airport and "free parking".

I love sitting on our balcony with a book and a pitcher of ice tea. I don't have to get up and leave there "ever" if I don't want to!

We love watching the waves go by and watching us pull in and out of the wonderful ports that we have visited.

I love walking around the ports we visit and seeing the countryside and cities.

I love walking around the ships and having the time to look at the art, chat with fellow passengers, have a cup of great coffee or a drink.

I love that my DH and I go to the Martini Bar and have a romantic, relaxed drink before dinner. I love that sometimes he suprises me on formal night with a corsage! He is SO sweet!

I love that we sometimes sit out on a quiet deck or in a quiet lounge with a Bailey's after a late dinner.

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT CRUISING!

Thank you for starting this thread.

I enjoy the cranberry juice that's available in the morning. I love the Romance package. I enjoy sitting by the pool with a good book and a bloody mary, made just the way I like it! I enjoy St Thomas shopping to buy cigs and Absolut! I loved going to an unexpected port (Nassau), instead of GSC.

If I tried to put into words why I love to cruise, I would fail to express it fully. All I know is there is something deep in the core of me that is in love with it. I have often told my DP that if we win the lottery, the first thing I am going to do is to buy an apartment or two on The World. If you have never heard of that ship, look it up on the net. It is my dream.

If I had to pick one thing, which is virtually impossible for me to do, I would have to say I love going onboard and unpacking our luggage, and not having to pack it up again every time we leave for another island, port, etc. You unpack once, and pack back up one time.

I love cruising so much that I have a lot of people who come to me all the time asking me to help them find a cruise for their vacation. If I thought I could make a living helping people find a cruise, I would do it. What a wonderful living that would be.. helping people create memories that will last the rest of their lives.

I love waking up in the morning, going out on the balcony and seeing a double rainbow with the end so close you can reach out and touch it. I have seen the end of the rainbow, and yes there is a pot of gold. That pot of gold is all of the wonderful experiences of the best vacation I have ever had. To be able to see so many new and wonderful places with the one you love. To see dolphins swim near the ship and fly out of the water to put on a show just for you. To be able to leave the rest of the world behind and create a taste of heaven on earth to remember forever. Starting each day in a new place and discovering that each new day is better than the day before. And to close, I love the special time with my wonderful wife and to be able to share all of this with her.

Archived