American Airlines new baggage rules..

DISFANS3

American Airlines just came out with a new baggage rule, only 1 checked bag per person. Getting ready to go on 10 day vacation, 3 days at Key West before Rci Liberty for 7 days.Have to rethink the packing now? 10 days worth of clothes= 1 bag??? WE are just about to give up flying to much BS...AA did say you can check a second bag for $25.00 one way.. Anyone have this problem????

American Airlines just came out with a new baggage rule, only 1 checked bag per person. Getting ready to go on 10 day vacation, 3 days at Key West before Rci Liberty for 7 days.Have to rethink the packing now? 10 days worth of clothes= 1 bag??? WE are just about to give up flying to much BS...AA did say you can check a second bag for $25.00 one way.. Anyone have this problem????

I'm flying to Hawaii to be on Radiance in a few weeks. Do you know off hand the bag weight they allow? This sucks but hopefully I can get everything into a big bag...also 10 days here.

Now AA is charging money to loose your luggage.

Awesome!

They lost my luggage 3 out of 4 flights. I will never fly them again. Most of the flights left more than an hour late so there was no reason for it to miss the plane.

Another thread regarding this subject was started before this one.

Read AA's rules on this policy. If you purchased your tickets before 12 May 2008, this policy does not apply to you.

There are actually two other forums on this same topic

10 days worth of clothes could = far less than one bag.

We are travelling internationally for 7 weeks and are only allowed one bag weighing 20 Kg (44 pounds).

It can be done, has been done often.

10 days worth of clothes could = far less than one bag.

We are travelling internationally for 7 weeks and are only allowed one bag weighing 20 Kg (44 pounds).

It can be done, has been done often.

Correct. It's called doing laundry. My wife and I had one bag (each) on our last cruise and did laundry in the middle of the cruise. Worked great !

I certainly agree with celle and The Other Tom. I just can't imagine what people take that they need so much luggage. We have only taken 3 7 day cruises (2 TA's on Cunard, one to Alaska). Everything else is AT LEAST 2 weeks and we normally stay on land for another week or two.

2 Hartmann rolling garment bags and 2 carryons + a large messenger bag with the cameras, binoculars, etc. is all we ever need. DH takes his tux AND a dinner jacket, at least one suit and one sport coat. I always take at least 3 beaded long gowns. Plus all the Dockers, tops, 2-3 other dresses, underwear and shoes. Yes, I usually send stuff out on the ship to get cleaned/washed or have the hotel on land send stuff out. And yes, we take the usual duct tape, zip ties and a wad of plastic bags.

I also travel a lot for business. I am leaving tomorrow for 3-4 weeks in Asia. Again, the Hartmann rolling garment bag and a smaller carryon. Taking the messenger bag for all the books, paperwork, etc. AND a laptop. I just can't fathom what everyone puts in 4 large suitcases PLUS 2 carryons for a 7 day cruise.

I certainly agree with celle and The Other Tom. I just can't imagine what people take that they need so much luggage. We have only taken 3 7 day cruises (2 TA's on Cunard, one to Alaska). Everything else is AT LEAST 2 weeks and we normally stay on land for another week or two.

2 Hartmann rolling garment bags and 2 carryons + a large messenger bag with the cameras, binoculars, etc. is all we ever need. DH takes his tux AND a dinner jacket, at least one suit and one sport coat. I always take at least 3 beaded long gowns. Plus all the Dockers, tops, 2-3 other dresses, underwear and shoes. Yes, I usually send stuff out on the ship to get cleaned/washed or have the hotel on land send stuff out. And yes, we take the usual duct tape, zip ties and a wad of plastic bags.

I also travel a lot for business. I am leaving tomorrow for 3-4 weeks in Asia. Again, the Hartmann rolling garment bag and a smaller carryon. Taking the messenger bag for all the books, paperwork, etc. AND a laptop. I just can't fathom what everyone puts in 4 large suitcases PLUS 2 carryons for a 7 day cruise.

There have been numerous threads on this subject... That said, I still think it stinks..... And some of us have 2 bags, not for clothes but for other things.... For me, it's my dive gear.... I think ,and will always think so don't try changing my mind, that 2 bags should be the normal allowance per passenger, not the exception.... :D

Have to rethink the packing now? 10 days worth of clothes= 1 bag???
Certainly, you'll have to re-think the packing. But I've often done 3-6 week trips with only one suitcase.

The main question to ask yourself is this: When you get home, have you worn everything at least once? If there is anything that you haven't worn at all, then you have taken too much with you.

I know that I often take a 40 lb suitcase with me on a 9-night trip and still not wear everything in it.

And some of us have 2 bags, not for clothes but for other things.... For me, it's my dive gear....
I think this is one of the cases where people really will get hurt by the change. But you can still do something to reduce the weight. IMHO, the only really essential thing is one's favourite mask, followed by fins. Everything else can, in truth, be rented.

I think this is one of the cases where people really will get hurt by the change. But you can still do something to reduce the weight. IMHO, the only really essential thing is one's favourite mask, followed by fins. Everything else can, in truth, be rented.

Well, while true. What's the point. After paying for rental gear for several ports at anywhere from $25-$50 per place, it's much better to pay for the extra bag. And, if your a diver, you know we much prefer our own gear. Both for cleanliness reasons and safety reasons. Have you ever seen rental gear?? Some of it is pretty scary.....

I'm one of those with sporting equipment, my golf clubs, that routinely travel with me on golf trips. While renting is definitely an option, I just hate the though of using a strange set of clubs on a course that I'm paying $100+ a round at.

I wish that the airlines would give a discounted 2nd bag purchase fee at time of booking tickets, say $10 or $15 for that 2nd bag or do a combo round trip fee of $30 for instance. On some trips you just -know- that you'll have two bags so there should be a discount for pre-paying for that extra bag.

After paying for rental gear for several ports at anywhere from $25-$50 per place, it's much better to pay for the extra bag.
Then it sounds like $50 round-trip isn't bad value for opting to take your own stuff and not having to take the risks of rental gear you don't like.

Then it sounds like $50 round-trip isn't bad value for opting to take your own stuff and not having to take the risks of rental gear you don't like.

Your right.... But it's a shame that it has to be paid in the first place. They really should allow 2 bags per person. And then anything above that should be charged an extra fee..... JMO

Archived