RCL ownership

E&B

I had an arugument with my SIL last night - or rather she chewed me out for planning the vacation that was right for my family without consulting her. In the midst of her tirade she insisted that she's gone on more cruises than me (although none in the last 4 years) and that she has never paid more than $800 per person for a week-long cruise, and that whether we take RCL or NCL it doesn't matter because one owns the other and they are essentially the same.

Is this ownership thing true? I tried to tell her she was mistaken, but the tirade continued and of course I am sadly misinformed.

Maybe she pay less than 800 a person but your SIL is the one who is sadly mistaken about RC owning NCL and vice versa. If she was in an inside room on deck 2 then yes its possible she paid less than 800 but when was the last time she cruised? Tell her to get on Cruise Critic, we will set her straight...lol!

I had an arugument with my SIL last night - or rather she chewed me out for planning the vacation that was right for my family without consulting her. In the midst of her tirade she insisted that she's gone on more cruises than me (although none in the last 4 years) and that she has never paid more than $800 per person for a week-long cruise, and that whether we take RCL or NCL it doesn't matter because one owns the other and they are essentially the same.

Is this ownership thing true? I tried to tell her she was mistaken, but the tirade continued and of course I am sadly misinformed.

Seems to me that she really over reacted big time. Whats up with that?

She is sadly mistaken, these 2 companies are seperately owned. What's her point anyway? and what does the issue of one owning the other have to do with it?

Depending on the time of year you cruise, you actually can get a cruise for less than $800 per person, but it really depends on the time of year you cruise.

Everyone has an opinion, and if it's not yours it stinks.

Your SIL is wrong about the ownership of the cruise companies. Your SIL is wrong to have an opinion about your vacation, it's none of her business unless she's paying for it.

But, you'll never convince her otherwise and why bother anyway? Just ignore her and do what's right for you and your family. You'll never win, with people who think they're always right, there is no winning. If you do happen to prove your point to her, she will hate you for it. She's competing with you and it is tedious and making you feel bad, life is too short to spend time with people who make you feel bad, I don't care if they are related to you or not.

This kind of reminds me of the sister of mine that I have no relationship with, I got so tired of the competition I finally let her "win" and haven't spoken to her in years. Thank goodness I have another sister who is a sweet friend.

I own 100 shares, for the OBC shareholder benefit, and DS owns one share (well, technically me as custodian, he's 12) for which we have the certificate, because it is fun to have it framed on the wall in his room with a cruise ship--looks like the sovereign--on the certificate.

I cruised with my SIL on my first DCL cruise. I wasn't paying--neither was she, my late DMIL took the entire family as her own 60th b'day present to herself. I wasn't looking forward to it--and while I would probably prefer not to vacation with SIL, the cruise did introduce me to DCL which wow'd me and built my enthusiasm for cruising, which was tepid after our first cruise on Empress (we figured we'd cruise again sometime, but were in no hurry at all after Empress). Then after 4 DCL cruises, ventured back to RCI and loved the Radiance and now its 6 years and 10 cruises since the one w/ SIL. So maybe something very good can come out of a cruise for OP, w/ or w/o his SIL.

Were you planning this as a family vacation to include SIL and her family or just for your immediate family? If the latter, it really is none of her business.

I would cruise with one DB and his family but none of the rest of my family as they are too stressful to be around.

NCL is owned by Star Cruises and Apollo Mgmt.

Royal Caribbean International which is the one who operates the ships under the Royal Caribbean brand is owned by RCCL which is a publicly traded company and also owns Celebrity, Pulmantur, Azamaran (just to name a few) and has a 50% stake in TUI Cruises.

Now if she would make that statement for Carnival, Costa and Princess which are similar, she would be right, Costa and Princess (and many more) are owned by Carnival.

We have never paid more than $650 for a 7 day cruise - 3 on Celebrity and 1 on Princess.

Our next cruise cost $649 - Mariner, Sept. 08.

We don't have fancy cabins - that's not really important to us. We prefer to spend our money in the jewelry stores!!

We have loved all of our cruises and our cabin size/location has never led us to be disappointed (we spend all of about 2 hours in it daily - except for sleeping).

Our best price for a 7 day (Celebrity - Century) was $465, but 1 month prior to the cruise, my DB and DSIL booked to come with us for only $300pp.

Deals are out there - I would love to go on more cruises and hope that we will be able to do that soon.

Archived