Fingerprint Farce

sidari

I've seen websites that it is possible to change fingerprints

Of this, I have no doubt. :) In theory, you can disfigure your fingerprints by burning them off, cutting them off, etc. However, eliminating or disfiguring your own is a bit different than altering yours to be a match for someone else.

This seems funny coming from someone in the UK. Britain has some of the most ridiculous Big Brother mentality around. I read where they are going to microchip all their police officers. I've also read that the government wants to take DNA samples from all misbehaved kids in case they grow up to be adult criminals. Surveillance cameras are used much more over there than in the US as well.

I agree that we are giving up our freedoms on a daily basis, but so far the UK is way ahead of the States in that regard. - SF

Err what is to stop the terrorist using a US citizens ID and therefore having to go through hardly any checks. It has always amazed me how lax the US is about its own citizens on cruises visiting other country's without passports.

Maybe of course you do not have any terrorist sympathizers or illegals in the US:eek:

Well, I suppose that's why good old fashioned passports won't go out of fashion any time soon. :)

This seems funny coming from someone in the UK. Britain has some of the most ridiculous Big Brother mentality around. I read where they are going to microchip all their police officers. I've also read that the government wants to take DNA samples from all misbehaved kids in case they grow up to be adult criminals. Surveillance cameras are used much more over there than in the US as well.

I agree that we are giving up our freedoms on a daily basis, but so far the UK is way ahead of the States in that regard. - SF

Well they always were 'ahead' in that regard...

Once upon a time, it prompted a 'Declaration of Independence' and a revolution...

I guess that 'ole 'Don't Tread on Me!' American ideal of personal liberty is "passe"... :(

It's estimated that Billions of $$ have been lost due to the onerous impositions of US TSA and customs on foreign tourists who've decided that visiting the US just isn't worth the hassle.

BUT at least I know I'm protected from 'wrist weight' threats... Wha?

Last year, my family skied in Switzerland. My teenage daughter took a pair of those light sponge covered hand weights (2 lbs.) in her carry on.

The flts Tampa - Atlanta - Zurich then Zurich - Atlanta - Tampa.

No problem going over, and no problem coming back until at the final Atlanta - Tampa leg a TSA chap announced that those little weights were quite the threat and must be confiscated! Of course, the man with the whistle couldn't and wouldn't explain why these weights - seen previously by security in Tampa, Atlanta, and Zurich - were OK then but were subject to confiscation now... OK - take the weights...

I feel SO much safer... :rolleyes:

On that, I totally agree. TSA is entirely too subjective and inconsistent when it comes to what is or is not acceptable to carry with you on a plane. You won't get any argument from me there.

Err what is to stop the terrorist using a US citizens ID and therefore having to go through hardly any checks. It has always amazed me how lax the US is about its own citizens on cruises visiting other country's without passports.

Maybe of course you do not have any terrorist sympathizers or illegals in the US:eek:

I think that's a big reason for the new rules on passports.

So, do you think the majority of US citizens would be willing to have fingerprints taken on entry/exit to the US to discount the possibility of an ID switch whilst abroad. I am not being sarcastic, just trying to play the devils advocate a bit;).

I have just read the latest News item on CC which on the face of it is Big Brothers Bigger Brother at work!!!....:eek:

How ridiculous can you get ? wanting to fingerprint a person 4 times ! during their cruise and stay...what are these people trying to do ? force people not to travel to the USA ?

Totaly ridiculous idea because as far as i know no ones Fingerprints change!!!

US Homeland security madness.

When you form a beaurocracy such as homeland security there will be no end in sight to regulations. A friend of mine worked in dot publication amendments. I asked him about all the useless amendments each month. Some were just punctuation which of course meant a whole new page. His reply: there are ten of us working in this office If we didn't make amendments we wouldn't have a job

Hey, it's coming to the Caribbean too.

Soon everyone must be photographed and figure printed. It's all to keep us safe after all

Here's the link to the new rules :rolleyes:

http://*****.com/4bpg4k

Please list the ways this will keep us all safe..................

IMO TSA is just (another) bureaucratic JOKE !

I don't feel any safer....just more inconvenienced (a.k.a. hassled)

So, do you think the majority of US citizens would be willing to have fingerprints taken on entry/exit to the US to discount the possibility of an ID switch whilst abroad. I am not being sarcastic, just trying to play the devils advocate a bit;).

I think there's a certain level of discomfort with it still, since many people equate it, consciously or unconsciously, with what happens when people are arrested. However, fingerprinting for pre-employment background checks is becoming more and more common, and fingerprint sensors used with computers or cash registers (for retail) are becoming the every day thing. Over the course of time, I think people will get more comfortable with it, especially if it means it increases the security of your identity. It will take some time, though.

IMO TSA is just (another) bureaucratic JOKE !

I don't feel any safer....just more inconvenienced (a.k.a. hassled)

[/font][/size]

Well we have not been attacked since 9/11. They must be doing something rite

Or how would Americans feel about having their fingerprints taken and data stored by a foreign government? (Say Russia)

Naturally, our patriotic knee jerk is, it's different because our government is ethical... (Except we now operate secret prisons abroad and have the dubious distinction of being a country that wages 'pre-emptive war'.)

http://www.wisdomquotes.com/cat_security.html

Hey, it's coming to the Caribbean too.

Soon everyone must be photographed and figure printed. It's all to keep us safe after all

Here's the link to the new rules :rolleyes:

http://*****.com/4bpg4k

Some countries just impose the same ridiculous requirements on US citizens as the US imposes on their citizens. Tit for Tat.

Well we have not been attacked since 9/11. They must be doing something rite

Had our intelligence community (not TSA) been doing their job(s)....expired visas...illegals.... 9/11 would not have happened. What does that have to do with taking your belt off or not having 3oz. of liquid when you can put whatever you want in your checked bag ? Do not take me wrong... I am a proud American..just think too much.

It is all very well having security at US ports, what about at the ports of call, apart from the minimal check on boarding at no time on my last cruise on Coral Princess in March was any photo id checked when I went ashore or came back into the "secure port area".

I have no objection to fingerprinting per sae as long as it is done quickly. It took 90 minutes to get through Miami's immigration in March which is way too long. Another thing is Homeland Security require an address for your first nights stay, do you think they either a) check its valid or b) check you actually went there. It is all largely a show I am afraid, to appear to be doing something and empire building

Regarding Liquids, you might not be able to take more than 3oz through security, but you can buy big bottles of flammable liquid and aerosols after security in the shops

How is using fingerprints as a method of identification somehow giving up one's freedom? :)

Because everytime you give your fingerprints, the government knows where you are.

Consider the toll tags on automobiles that allow you to go through highway toll plazas, having the toll deducted automtically. The authorities then know where your vehicle is, what time it is there, and how long it took for you to get there from the previous toll plaza.

Crossing the country on toll roads that use these tags? Then the authorities know your movements around the nation.

Thank you !

I almost have to give my DH a tranquilizer when we go to the airports these days!! :eek: It's so bad that we generally ship our luggage via Fedex, so we don't have to worry about the TSA rummaging thru our undies and worrying about things being stolen.

And with all the inspections of my iPod, lipstick case & flip-flops, which must really appear to be suspicious, people are still allowed to bring on-board knitting needles and skateboards! :cool: Go figure.

By All means take Fingerprints and Eye recognition when people arrive...no problem... but 4 times is over excessive..:eek: and lets face it anyone traveling to the USA for a cruise has to supply passport details along with their address etc etc! so that they can be checked out before they even arrive!

and lets face the truth no amount of finger printing or passport checking is going to stop a determined terrorist.

I agree with you 100%. It's totally amazing to me how many American's are ready and willing to give up our Freedom's so readily. And I agree, most of this "security" B.S. is smoke & mirrors.....to make the general population think they are "safe".

Well said....

Because everytime you give your fingerprints, the government knows where you are.

Consider the toll tags on automobiles that allow you to go through highway toll plazas, having the toll deducted automtically. The authorities then know where your vehicle is, what time it is there, and how long it took for you to get there from the previous toll plaza.

Crossing the country on toll roads that use these tags? Then the authorities know your movements around the nation.

Are you doing something illegal that you worry about them knowing where you are??

Ron

Archived