Does the Port Shopping talk bug anyone else?

Desert star

We just returned from the CB.

I usually don't go to the onboard shopping talks, but we were traveling with a couple that had never cruised before, and she wanted to go.

Does it bug anyone else that they are now ALL about diamonds, gem stones and jewelry, with one of the few exceptions being Del Sol?

Doesn't anyone want to know where to get a good t-shirt anymore, or those funny little souvenirs to bring home to the kids?

I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one onboard without a jewelry collection. :eek:

Out of 11 cruises I've never been to a Port shoping "upsell" talk.

I see it on the in-room TV, however, when I'm changing the channels.

It seems like a ghastly show.:eek:

Count me in, never been to one in all these years. Not interested at all in the stores that have a deal with the cruise lines to make any purchases. Always reminds me of the private tours when they have those certain shops they take you to where they get a commission on what you purchase. Nope, not for me, thanks!

We went ONCE, and walked out halfway through. The woman was nothing but a shill for Princess approved shops, ie shops that pay Princess a handsome monthly fee for the recommendation. We found it insulting that Princess called it an information session. It wasn't.....and to make things worse they insisted on handing out worthless coupons to entice you to go into stores that one would normally walk right by. We were waiting for her to try to sell us a time share or a condo.

Totally agree with above responses! We've been on 25 cruises and I think the sales pitches are embarrassing for Princess. :o I know they used to ask "serious shoppers" to wear a special Princess shopping sticker! :eek: We used to call those SUCKER STICKERS! Even the onboard coupon books are a scam IMHO. We've always enjoyed reading the "Port Guides" that they pass out the night before a port. On our last cruise the port guides had turned into shopping guides. Very, very disappointing. I mentioned it on the end of cruise survey. Maybe someday Princess will get the idea that not every passenger lives to shop! Some of us truly enjoy travel and learning about new places. ;)

I guess if I thought the shopping talks were truly an educational experience with unbiased opinion I'd be rather upset by them. But seeing as I'm well aware that they are a paid advertisement for those establishments that choose to pay big bucks to be advertised by the cruiselines I sometimes look at them as entertainment and use them to my advantage. My young grandchildren love all the trinkets that Grandma brings home from our cruises and most are freebees obtained from those establishments to entice us to enter their shops. We have absolutely no problem walking in and asking for our free whatever, saying Thank you, and walking back out. Attending the shopping talks is never high on my priority list if there is something else I'd rather be doing, but occasionally when I know that our time in port will allow us to do some browsing and shopping I'll go to the talk to collect the information I need to keep the grandchildren at home happy ! ;)

We just returned from the CB.

I usually don't go to the onboard shopping talks, but we were traveling with a couple that had never cruised before, and she wanted to go.

Does it bug anyone else that they are now ALL about diamonds, gem stones and jewelry, with one of the few exceptions being Del Sol?

Doesn't anyone want to know where to get a good t-shirt anymore, or those funny little souvenirs to bring home to the kids?

I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one onboard without a jewelry collection. :eek:

They get a commission on what is sold to the passengers.........so it makes more sense to hawk jewelry......at thousands per sale.......than tee shirts at a couple of bucks per sale......;)

That was the best thing about my Antarctica cruise, no sales pitches on board, I guess the penguins haven't figured out how to sell stuff yet.

I went on my very first cruise and have not gone since. If I happen to catch it on the TV, I may leave it on just to make my partner roll his eyes.

I believe they suck in all the new cruiser's because after being to one, just once, I doubt you would ever go back. The last cruise we went on, we were with first time cruiser's. I tried to talk my friend out of going but you know that old saying, "live and learn." I think it cost her $25 or more to be able to get all these junk stones at the different ports we went to. She spent her whole amount of time in each port, running like crazy to try and get the free junk. Felt like she had to, seeings as how she had spent money to get the so called free coupons. I got sucked in my first cruise and after getting my great gift at the first port, I just sucked it up and admitted I had been had. I think they should be banned.

On my first cruise I went for simply the reason just to experience what was offered on the ship. Well let me tell you that was the first and last time. It does not take long to figure out what shops princess wants you to go to. As a matter of fact I did not even stay the whole time.

marilyn

Only went on my first cruise. If there's something unusual that I seek out to buy on a trip, I think I would just research it ahead of time on the 'Net rather than spend time on a cruise listening to a bias pitch.

What we usually do is walk a bit farther than DI and the other "recommended" stores. We can often find the same stuff for less money.

Besides, I'm not into jewelry that much. We do like to buy a tee shirt or two to remind us of the port.

Only went on my first cruise. If there's something unusual that I seek out to buy on a trip' date=' I think I would just research it ahead of time on the 'Net rather than spend time on a cruise listening to a bias pitch.

What we usually do is walk a bit farther than DI and the other "recommended" stores. We can often find the same stuff for less money.

Besides, I'm not into jewelry that much. We do like to buy a tee shirt or two to remind us of the port.[/quote']

I research too, and I have been to several ports before,but would it hurt business that much to tell people who had never cruised before or been to that port before where a t-shirt shop is located? :confused:

I mean one that doesn't change color in the sun:D

I believe they suck in all the new cruiser's because after being to one, just once, I doubt you would ever go back. The last cruise we went on, we were with first time cruiser's. I tried to talk my friend out of going but you know that old saying, "live and learn." I think it cost her $25 or more to be able to get all these junk stones at the different ports we went to. She spent her whole amount of time in each port, running like crazy to try and get the free junk. Felt like she had to, seeings as how she had spent money to get the so called free coupons. I got sucked in my first cruise and after getting my great gift at the first port, I just sucked it up and admitted I had been had. I think they should be banned.

After cruising for 28 years, that "talk" is the last place you'd catch me. My DH, on his first cruise a couple of years ago, wanted to go. I went to our CC Meet'n'Greet instead and tried to pursuade him to come with me, but he insisted. I warned him...:rolleyes: After our meetings we got together and he was so disgusted....but he had that $25 coupon book in his hand. I just shook my head. After looking through that book, there was absolutely nothing in it we could use. He learned his lesson and won't even go near it anymore. They have a knack for sucking in newbies. It's a shame. We also stay away from the big shops they want you to go to. Instead, we shop in the little shops in the narrow alleys. There are fewer crowds and better prices.

I agree, those shopping talks should be replaced with information we can really use in port.

Went to one and it was the biggest waste of time to sit and listen to where every jewelry store was located.

Another great thing about European and exotic cruises - no shopping talks!

I have been to those talks and have won prizes (no charge) received great coupons for T-shirts, bought the book with super coupons and enjoyed the talk. Those stores do not only sell expensive gems, they also have cheaper stuff. Lots of earrings, nice ones, for 2 bucks, etc. They make nice inexpensive gifts for grandchildren.

Those bracelets you can acquire free with the charms are also very nice. I do attend as I said and have enjoyed them. The people who run them are usually very nice.

Never been to one. Caught part of one on the TV once and it is pretty much as everyone has already said, a way to try and get you to shop at stores where Princess gets kickbacks from.

To me, its kind of like the art auctions. Another way to get you to over pay for something and kick back more money to the cruise line. I have been to one art auction, when I saw framed prints starting at $600 I finished my champagne and left.

I've never had any wish to go to any of those, but it always looks to me like there're plenty who do. It's baffling to me why many people - and please don't take offense - seem to want to spend every waking vacation hour shopping. I'd rather do nearly anything else, but I suppose it's a different strokes thing.

Archived