How is RCL coffee?

On my Princess cruise, I have read that the coffee is horrible especially if you are a Starbucks coffee fan. I dragged a coffee pot on that cruise because we will not be able to function in the morning without a good cup of coffee. So can you tell me how the coffee is on RCL? I think better than Princess.....I hope so!

roe2ship:

My opinion is that bad coffee on cruise ships is universal..........we were on the Brilliance in April, sister ship to the Radiance..........coffee was just bad.......a little better in the dining room after dinner...........my suggestion is to take your coffee pot.

Hello,

This is an ongoing conversation and you will now bring out the coffee conneseurs who will all share their opinions...

I have never been on Princess, but the distilled consensus of opinion on this board is that the coffee is better than the reconstituted slurry they serve. Most will tell you that this is a relative concept in the same vein with death by lethal injection is more humane than death by electric chair.:o

The other matter is that coffee may vary by ship. People sailing on Vision class ships(Radience, Brilliance, Jewel) imply that the only good coffee is in the coffee shop. On our Voyager class (Navigator of the Seas) cruise the coffee was consistant throughout and most seem to agree.

So here is my opinion. The coffee is different than the standard arabica/Columbian based coffees sold in grocery stores. It tends to be a heavier brew that lacks clarity - even in its fresh brewed state. It is rich, almost chocolatey and dark, but not burned. It does burn quickly though and I found that there were times during the day when the coffee had been sitting for a while and the flavor had deteriorated. However, there were so many coffee drinkers on our cruise that it was rare to find the coffee old.

If you are a cream user there is both half 'n half and non-dairy. Usually they are placed in crocks on opposite sides of the coffee counter. The two do get intermixed on occasion so always check carefully.

Many bring their own coffee makers. I was satisfied that what I was drinking was coffee, though not what I am used to, and will probably be satisfied with the onboard beverage on future cruises.

and the only VERY bad coffee I've drunk on a cruise is Celebrity's...absolutely EVIL.

In general, though, the coffee is, IMHO, a bit better in the dining room on all ships.

Maybe yucky coffee is deliberate so we all go to the onboard coffee cafes and PAY to get a good cuppa!

Malony - I'm with you - Celebrity coffee is dreadful. RCCL not much better but I am hopeful that I can at least slug a latte with the Seattle's best coming on. The only way I could ever stomach cruise ship coffee is with a big shot of Bailey's in it. Otherwise, for morning, I drink tea.

While on the Summit 14-day repo SD to Alaska in May, we took advantage of the stop in Seattle to purchase a French Coffee Press - and a couple of bags of coarse ground coffee! Fortunately, we were one deck below the buffet area where HOT water was abundantly available.

I would not want to take an electric coffee maker on a ship - the French Press easily makes 4 cups of coffee - as strong or as weak asyou like it - and does not take up much room in my carry-on luggage. Won't every board another ship without my French press!

Having been on RCI several times and just recently Princess, I have also decided to bring a small coffee maker on my February Jewel of the Seas cruise. I really, really enjoy a couple of cups of good coffee every morning. And I know I won't find it there.

Can I get coffee with room service in the morning? Do you have to pay extra for it, or is it included?

Where is coffee free (I'll be on the Adventure) and where do you have to pay for it? How much do they charge for just regular old coffee?

sayhello

On our recent EOS sailing we found the coffee in the dining room and that delivered by room service we good. The coffee in the Windjammer was barely palatable. We made it a habit to have coffee delivered every morning and if need be we did splurge and purchase Iced Latte's at the Seattle's Best coffee stand.

The coffee is different than the standard arabica/Columbian based coffees sold in grocery stores. It tends to be a heavier brew that lacks clarity - even in its fresh brewed state. It is rich, almost chocolatey and dark, but not burned.
Thanks for this very thoughtful and meticulous description. It is as I had hoped: This is my favorite type of coffee, and would have been quite disappointed if there wasn't any place aboard ship where I would not be able to find it.

I don't care for RCCL's coffee at all and I enjoy my coffee brewed from a dark blend of beans. Some have said that RCCL's coffee is too dark, but I recall a high acidity combined with a burnt taste and slightly metallic zing. I don't expect the coffee to be the same as if I had made it at home, but I would like to enjoy drinking it! I have been to a few locations of Seattle's Best and didn't mind the coffee they served in their company stores, so I suspect RCCL may be brewing a VERY cheap blend of beans. <---- Not a major surprise! :rolleyes:

On Legends the coffee was as thick and dark as mud. I personally own three different types of coffee makers at home and am a Starbucks junkee. Nothing I did made the coffee on LOS tolerable. There is no alternative on that ship. I never would have thought to bring my own machine with me. Next trip is on the Navigator. If there is not a coffee bar on board I will bring my one cup with. Thanks for the tip.

I know I've mentioned this before but I feel good tasting coffee can start the day off right.

Bring a little coffee maker, buy bottled water in port (bring enough with you for the first couple mornings) and bring your own coffee. Little bottles of Bailey's are a deal on the ship. Milk readily available. I bring my own honey.

I agree with others that the best coffee was in the dining room & room service. I really like coffee so I always have room service deliver a couple of carafes every morning. I also like to bring along a bottle of Baileys with me when I cruise so that no matter where I get the coffee from I'll be able to stomach it with a little bit of added flavor!!

Archived