Can we donate clothing on a cruise?

sppunk

I haven't read a thread on this topic before. It is an interesting idea. I seem to bring too many things for my personal use, so I wouldn't be donating anything to charity groups or individuals while cruising. For other pax, it sounds like some of the locals might appreciate the gently used clothing.

When ever I go to an all inclusive resort ie: cuba, dominican republic or mexico I always take along gifts to give. Especially when I went to Cuba I took along a suitcase of good clothes along with many other items to give away along with a thank you note and some $$. On cruises in the past I have given away "small" gifts along with $$ . I have not given on a cruise the same gifts I gave in Cuba or Dominican or Mexico. For example, I would have no problem giving away clothes in Cuba, but on a cruise I wouldn't. Thinking about giving to the local charity on one of the cruise stops is an excellent idea would probably be very appreciated by the locals. IMHO.

We spent a week at the Barcelo Bavaro Beach property in Punta Cana back in '01.

We brought probably 8 pair of tennis shoes.... the gardeners and the cleaning ladies were tickled pink. :) (It made us happy, as well) ;)

Thanks everyone - as previously stated the intention was never to deduct any tips (as it stands, the "autotip" is not nearly enough and we always give those who serve us extra). That's a different topic of debate and one I will never get caught in!

Good Sunday, all.

Just got off the Oosterdam and I noticed that part of their uniform is the same shoes on all feet so its part of their uniform. AND the fellows make a LOT more money than you think they do. $2400/month minimum not including tips so rest assured that they are doing OK.

Sorry, but it is nowhere near that amount per month.

Also, once the auto-tip was implemented, crew had to begin paying uniforms and other items that were previously covered by the cruiseline.

Many years ago, in Ochos Rio, Jamaica, I was approached by one of the hotel employees and asked if he could have our tennis shoes.

You could have owned the entire city for a carton of American cigarettes and a case of toothpaste.

:)

Sorry, but it is nowhere near that amount per month.

Also, once the auto-tip was implemented, crew had to begin paying uniforms and other items that were previously covered by the cruiseline.

Don't be sorry. Work it out!!!! Sigh I guess I'll have to!!!!

Our wonderful cabin server that did a great job for us gets $3.50 a day tip from each of us in the cabin. Now he works every day the poor soul. 30 days in a month roughly. So $3.50 x 2 = 7$ x 30 days is $210. Now he takes care of 14 cabins. Lets say for safe sake he has only 12 cabins. Thats 210$ x 12 = $2520 per month. So I said maybe 2400 BUCKS American or Canadian. AND he earns every bleedin dollar too from what I've seen. Now as you can see I havent added his/her cash tips that he/she may get. And I havent added her/his stipend from the company that he or she works for.

So instead of saying 'NO they don't make that kind of money", work it out.

So give em cash, not running shoes. Thats what they really need for their familes back at home. :p

So instead of saying 'NO they don't make that kind of money", work it out.

wrecks did the math in a post above, which is a bit closer to the actual amount given what I've been told by numerous crew members.

For awhile, they were having to pay their own airfare, but I believed that may have changed. I do know they must pay for uniforms.

At any rate, since it's not my paycheck, I can't really say with absolute certainty. To assume that they are making $2400 - $2500 per month seemed a bit of conjecture to me, given what I've been told over the years, but I'm not going to split hairs over it. ;)

Also, I wasn't the one who said to "give them shoes" - we always give cash - and have for years. In fact out last 10 day cruise, our cabin steward received any extra $10 per day from us, which he seemed to greatly appreciate. :)

Wrecks arithmetic got only a c-. He mixed apples with oranges.

I simply used facts not conjecture or assumptions and as you can see I never assumed anything. Its amazing how many opinions from us North Americans based on a lack of facts I see on these forums. My turn to apologize for the human condition.

The Indonesian people are wonderful gentle souls and we should appreciate them a lot more than we do. Like most they have their dignity and to bring 'hand me downs' to the ship would not 'IMHO' promote the harmony needed between all. Right then "Enough of my Rant!!!" Enjoy the rest of the day!!!

I would not consider taking used clothing etc for the HAL staff. First of all, what is the chance of a good fit. They live 4 or more in a cabin, they have room for their basic requirements only...not like our closets at home. And finally, I would not haul my disarded clothing by air across the country.

We always say it with cash. They can buy what they need, and probably know where to buy it at the best price. Cash travels well, especially when it is sent home to their families. And it does not take up much room! This especially true now that many of them have taken as much as an effective twenty-thirty percent pay reduction....they are paid in US dollars and the dollar is very weak compared to their home currencies.

Back to the subject at hand "Can we donate clothes ..."

And while we were beating up the OP and bickering, we would have read that OP already identified a church to give the gently used clothing to.

So . . . fuzzy math and drowning in minutia thoughts aside - the OP question was answered. With little help from the posters, I might add.

OP wanted to do the right thing. OP's intent (IMHO) was one of generosity and his/her acts are kinder to mother earth and best of all,they have found a place happy to receive his/her donations.

Thank you sppunk!

Thank you, Coreopsis. I'm ashamed many in this thread believed we were looking for a way to skimp on gratuities, which cannot be further from the truth.

10 days until Alaska. :)

Thank you, Coreopsis. I'm ashamed many in this thread believed we were looking for a way to skimp on gratuities, which cannot be further from the truth.

10 days until Alaska. :)

I didn't think that at all - personally, I believe your heart was in the right place. :)

What I wanted to relay earlier and didn't - after one of our cruises (final cruise of the old Noordam III) all the crew were leaving after a full season in Europe. We had crew asking us if we wanted any of the items they'd picked up - my DH got a set of lovely beer glasses one of the bartenders had picked up in Rostock, Germany, and did not have room to pack to take home to the Phillipines.

We were very touched and saddened to think they did not have enough room to pack all of their belongings, and offered to mail things home for them... I was surprised to learn that many had even donated a lot of their own clothing to local churches right before our cruise.

It's often difficult to know a person's circumstance and I'm glad you didn't just make the assumption that a gift such would be overwhelmingly accepted.

You did the right thing by asking first... I felt some of the responses you recieved were less than appropriate and it looks as if they've been removed.

Have a great cruise - and make sure you come back and tell us how it went. :)

Thanks for that idea, cccole - greatly appreciated.

pengu1n, your negative response was not needed, especially when people are trying to assist the wonderful souls who work so very hard for an extremely limited amount of money.

Great to see that someone on these boards at least has somewhat of a positive outlook on life. I was about to post a reply to Penguin when I saw your reply. We should all try more to look at the positive side of things.

I would actually love to see it if the cruise ships would set up onboard donation boxes and then simply gave them to the people who are coming to the ships for the other discarded items in each port. We were recently on the Prinsendam Grand Africa tour, and at each African port, the ship unloaded various items onto the dock, and there were a throng of people there to take the items. I bet used clothing would be very popular.

• 3 weeks later...

On our last Europe cruise on the Rotterdam, my mother offered to give some of her clothes, such as dresses, to the cabin steward so that he could take them home to his wife or other relatives. He heartily took them and thanked her. So while I might not donate apparel that is very old, it bears keeping in mind that the crew usually comes from a very poor country and/or family...otherwise they they would not be working on a cruise ship. And any donation is better than none at all.

I would actually love to see it if the cruise ships would set up onboard donation boxes and then simply gave them to the people who are coming to the ships for the other discarded items in each port.
I like that idea! One large donation bin near the Front Office, and the Purser's staff could sort out what is truly trash and discreetly discard it. The crew could take what they liked, and the rest could be given to port charity groups.

Our wonderful cabin server that did a great job for us gets $3.50 a day tip from each of us in the cabin. Now he works every day the poor soul. 30 days in a month roughly. So $3.50 x 2 = 7$ x 30 days is $210. Now he takes care of 14 cabins. Lets say for safe sake he has only 12 cabins. Thats 210$ x 12 = $2520 per month.

wrecks did the math in a post above, which is a bit closer to the actual amount given what I've been told by numerous crew members.
My math:

Room steward: $3.50 x 2 people x 15 cabins (typical) x 30.4 days (avg mo) = $3194

Dining room steward: $3.50 x 20 people (avg) x 30.4 days = $2128

However, this assumes no days off. Many staff levels make far less than this.

Keep in mind the stewards have the same luggage restrictions when flying that we have. They cannot simply lug boxes and suitcases aboard in big numbers/heavy weight any more than we can. How are they supposed to get all these discarded dresses home to their wives..assuming they want to. Also, many Indonesian/Filipino ladies are petite vs the small number of very petite American and Canadian women. Even of slim women, most of our clothes may not fit them or our styles suit them.

If you want to thank your stewards, want to give them something extra.....cash is always the right size and travels light.

Archived