Can we donate clothing on a cruise?

sppunk

My wife and I are preparing for our upcoming Alaska voyage, and we have an interesting question I've never seen asked on CC before: Can we bring clothing (in this case we are talking shoes) and donate them to the ship's crew instead of hauling them back home?

We both have shoes we hardly ever wear - they are formal and in good shape - and we'd prefer to donate them to a lovely HAL employee over Goodwill Industries or the like.

Any experiences on this?

Why would you think the crew would want your old shoes, even if they look like new? And where would they want to wear formal shoes? Are you going to run around and look for people with the same size feet as you? I would think the crew has uniform shoes, that are required to meet a certain criteria (like matching their uniform) and casual shoes they wear when not on duty, and not much use or storage space for anything else.

We always try to donate something to the places we go. On our last cruise on Zuiderdam we took a suitcase full of things for the Red Cross Thrift Store on Grand Turk. The dive store that my son spent the day with was thrilled that someone thought about giving back to the island, and took care of getting them delivered. Then....later on the cruise a couple of the crew members were talking about having to go shopping for some of the same things we donated. I thought like you, a lot of the crew are working for a few years so that they can make enough money to go back home, and if there is something we have that they can use, I'd be thrilled to death.

My suggestion for you would be to contact a couple of organizations where you will be docking and if it's after your last formal night you might be able to drop things off at a charity.

Have a great cruise. Cherie

Thanks for that idea, cccole - greatly appreciated.

pengu1n, your negative response was not needed, especially when people are trying to assist the wonderful souls who work so very hard for an extremely limited amount of money.

I was at an all inclusive resort and asked a maid if she would like to have a couple of things I was discarding and she asked me for a note to say I gave them to her as gifts. The employees could be accused of stealing if there is no note.

I know how shoes can increase, but agree that the crew does not have much storage space. The answer below of giving them to a local charity sounds great! If you do something like a dive, the locals will have a better impression of Americans. (Diving is a poor choice here, other venues get more of the UAs).

On a two week cruise, I will throw away the 1st 7 days of underwear, if someone salvages it great. There are a lot of poor in our area and many have poorer relatives in Mexico, so we give our older clothes to our part-time maid or the local church.

In these days where we must pay extra for a 2nd bag and extra for anything over 50 lbs - we won't be brining anything we can't use.

I would also like to ditto taxguys post - the crew does not have very much storage space and often times cannot take things home with them. The best gift you can give is a sincere "thank you" for their services and perhaps some extra cash, if you are so inclined. :)

You might think about donating your extra clothing and shoes to a homeless shelter, those folks really have a use for them and would greatly appreciate anything you can provide - especially during winter.

Sorry to intrude on your board. I usually post on the X board, but enjoy ready all of the posts on CC.

I agree with both opinions on the shoes. You don't want to insult, yet it can also be a nice gesture. One never really knows what one may need/want.

On my last two cruises, I left items behind. I simply informed the butler/room steward that I wasn't going to be packing them and if anyone would like the items, they could have them, and if not, they could be discarded (informing him that they weren't left unintentionally). The last cruise just happened to be brand new flip flops purchased from the gift shop as our luggage was lost by the airline and delayed for one day.

Just my .02 cents.

P.S. I'm glad to see that things get as lively with opinions on this board as they do on the X board. Happy Sailing

pengu1n, your negative response was not needed, especially when people are trying to assist the wonderful souls who work so very hard for an extremely limited amount of money.

I'm not looking to start a war, but don't want to leave the impression that I don't appreciate the hard work of the crew. I think your thought of giving them your discards is insulting. If you want to donate your shoes, give them to goodwill and give your stewards the $25 that you would have to pay for the extra bag. It makes more sense, saves you hauling extra weight, and gives the crew something you know they can use.

My sister and brother-in-law's house burned to the ground. Seven years later she can't get over the out-rage she feels about the discarded junk that people thought she would want because they had lost everything. They lost everything, but not their pride: they certainly didn't want the 2 inch pencil stubs that someone brought over.

Leaving a tip for a job well done, or just because your circumstances allow you to be generous to those with less, is not insulting. If someone admires your shoes, and you say, "here take them, this is the first time I've worn them and they don't fit right" - well, okay, that seems equitable. But leaving your goodwill items for the crew, to me that seems degrading.

Isn't it a fun idea to think you could donate someone else's clothing? :D

You know what I am talking about . . . the clothing not right for a body type? The gown that probably looked terrific 10 years ago and 20lbs ago? The speedo that makes you turn away because of all the "rolls"? Skirts and slacks that force a muffin top? Formal wear that somehow creates back cleavage?

Just having fun . . . no flames, please!

Next time we are in the dining room on formal night . . . look around and imagine what might be fun to donate! But please, keep the thoughts to yourself.

While we are at it, can we donate someone's far too generous "perfume" as well?

To the OP, I think your suggestion was a lovely intention. My daughter takes my shoes all the time! It doesn't bother her in the least that they are "used". I suppose the Smithsonian shouldn't display the First Wive's gowns - how gauche they are used! Madonna shouldn't offer to sell her clothing and donate to charity.

Nice clothing gently used will be much appreciated. Like Mercedes sells its cars - they don't call them "used" they call them "previously owned".

And donating rather than throwing away would be much appreciated by mother nature.

sppunk - I was thinking about your shoes, in particular, and trying to remember what our dining room staff had on their feet. I can't. But I think it was not tennis shoes, and if you were to ask the wonderful people that help you in the dining room and your room steward if they know of anyone who might like a pair of dress shoes, they would probably appreciate it. I'm thinking that they would rather spend their tips on other things. If they say "no", you put them in your bag and take them home.

Regarding the $25-$50 extra bag charge. I don't mind at all paying a charge for an extra bag filled with items that I know can be used where we are traveling. That's what?.....3 umbrella drinks?

A couple of years ago I had arranged to meet a Peace Corps rep in Belize to deliver clothing and asked the cruise line that we were on if they had an area where people could drop off a shirt or whatever if they wanted. The cruse line did not, so we just dropped off our two suitcases of clothing. They were welcomed with incredible thanks.

No one is forced to think of others, but when they do it seems totally inappropriate to try to make them feel bad.

Cherie

Frankly, if I were a ship employee, I would be insulted to be offered your 'donation' of used shoes. I don't think the employees care to be thought of as a charity case. Besides, used shoes? That's nasty.

If I were a crewman... I would feel the same way. My thought is ...... why wouldn't you donote MONEY. That they can use. :D

When ever I go to an all inclusive resort ie: cuba, dominican republic or mexico I always take along gifts to give. Especially when I went to Cuba I took along a suitcase of good clothes along with many other items to give away along with a thank you note and some $$. On cruises in the past I have given away "small" gifts along with $$ . I have not given on a cruise the same gifts I gave in Cuba or Dominican or Mexico. For example, I would have no problem giving away clothes in Cuba, but on a cruise I wouldn't. Thinking about giving to the local charity on one of the cruise stops is an excellent idea would probably be very appreciated by the locals. IMHO.

Shoes to the crew? Naw, I wouldn't do it! Now, books to the ship's library, that's a hot tip and very much appreciated! Give those used doggies you're talking about to Goodwill and load up on books of all sorts - It'll make you feel good!;)

This thread turned out interesting - thanks for all the responses. In fear of upsetting someone or a group of individuals, we have located a local church that provides goods to a homeless shelter.

Someone earlier mentioned donating books - we have always done this and it has always been greatly appreciated.

Happy sailing!

Just got off the Oosterdam and I noticed that part of their uniform is the same shoes on all feet so its part of their uniform. AND the fellows make a LOT more money than you think they do. $2400/month minimum not including tips so rest assured that they are doing OK.

Just got off the Oosterdam and I noticed that part of their uniform is the same shoes on all feet so its part of their uniform. AND the fellows make a LOT more money than you think they do. $2400/month minimum not including tips so rest assured that they are doing OK.

What! No way do they make $2400/month minimum not including tips.:confused:

I have heard figures as low as $50/month not including tips.

I don't want to get into how much waiters on ships make. I don't feel it's my business; however, I know it's not anywhere near the figure you just mentioned.

Since the OP was about Alaska, I think charities and shelters in the ports can use the donations. The towns depend on seasonal tourism and bring in temporary labor for the summer. This is just speculation, but I have the impression a lot of the workers struggle to make ends meet in an area with high costs of living. That may be especially true this year with declines in tourism and the electrical "crisis" in Juneau. If you need the items until the end of your cruise, Seattle, Vancouver, and Anchorage all have people in need like any other city.

Sorry I meant the extra cash tips that people give. I dont know how much the cruise ship lines pay But if you do the arithmetic you can see that the $3.50 a day that you give to them on your statement at the end of the cruise adds up. Go on, get your calculator.

Sorry I meant the extra cash tips that people give. I dont know how much the cruise ship lines pay But if you do the arithmetic you can see that the $3.50 a day that you give to them on your statement at the end of the cruise adds up. Go on, get your calculator.

OK. $3.50/day x 365 (assuming :eek: working everyday with no time off) = $1,277.50 x 1900 pax (no pulled tips and no vacancy) = $2,427,250.00 divided by 450 (number of crew sharing tips) = $5,393.89 annually. Add to that the extra tips per cruise, say 20 couples give an extra $20.00 that's $400.00 times cruises per year, 50? that gives you $20,000.00. Adding those together does give you a monthly income close to your $2,400.00/mo, but... most don't work 365 days a year or do 50 cruises, so, perhaps reduce all by 25%. Then add whatever the cruise lines offer as a salary. An okay salary, but they are away from their families and the crew puts in many, many hours and always with a smile.

Cash, as a tip, is king! Candy as a gift is always fun to give and receive. Save your other donations (including cash) for charities around your home.

I don't think the idea of this thread was to give less cash tips, but to give contribute something that the crew might be able to use so they can keep their cash and salary for things that are not work related.

It really doesn't matter what you give, or how you give, just be generous and kind to those who may not be as fortunate as yourself. It really doesn't take much to make someone else's day!!!!

OK. $3.50/day ... divided by 450 (number of crew sharing tips)

I would have to question your statement that there are 450 cabin stewards, or 450 table stewards on the ship sharing the $3.50/day portion of the auto-tip.

The auto-tip is $10/day. It's shared, in various proportions, by staff.

I would have to question your statement that there are 450 cabin stewards, or 450 table stewards on the ship sharing the $3.50/day portion of the auto-tip.

The auto-tip is $10/day. It's shared, in various proportions, by staff.

You're right of course, I didn't think :eek: when I replyed to the originally stated $3.50/day. As far as shared by 450 people, I was taking a swag at about half of the crew would be sharing the auto tip.

Archived