Jeans in Cagneys?

suzyed

Just got off the Star. Yes, Jeans are allowed in all of the restaurants except for one designated restaurant. On the Star it was the Versailles Main Restaurant.

Do people normally dress up a little for the fancier specialty restaurants, like Cagneys and Le Bistro??? I don't mean formal or anything like that! And regarding jeans, I have seen jeans outfits that are really nice, and others that look pretty sloppy---- which are we more likely to see? We'll be on the Gem in June --- are the European cruises a little more conservative, or not? Sorry for all the questions, we'll be trying to pack as light as we can.

IMHO, I would never wear jeans of any type, they do want you to dress resort casual in the specialty resterants. It is a nicer more elecant feel to Cagney's and Le Bistro, they do allow jeans in one of the main rest. We view the specialty as a special treat, and always dress nice, not super fancy but nice. I don't think they would not let you in, but you probally won't feel confortable if you are looking at and judging they way others are dressed. Now that it in my humble opinon, please don't kill me.

mew1

Do people normally dress up a little for the fancier specialty restaurants, like Cagneys and Le Bistro??? I don't mean formal or anything like that! And regarding jeans, I have seen jeans outfits that are really nice, and others that look pretty sloppy---- which are we more likely to see? We'll be on the Gem in June --- are the European cruises a little more conservative, or not? Sorry for all the questions, we'll be trying to pack as light as we can.

I've seen people dress in everything from jeans to near formal in the specialty restaurants. My wife and I life to dress up a little when we dine at Cagney's or Le Bistro. We're paying more for it and they are really nice inside, so we figure why not dress up a "little" bit. It's a personal choice though really...

My husband always wears dress pants and a collared shirt to LeBistro and Cagneys. He used to wear a sports jacket too, but now leaves his jacket at home as well as the suits he would wear.

I don't mind a nice pair of jeans in the dining room, along with a nice shirt, but to see people in carpenter jeans, holey jeans etc with a tee shirt is a bit much for a fancy restaurant. JMO.

DH wears dockers and a collared golf shirt - I wear a skirt or slacks.

Cagney's and LeBistro are such special restaurants that we dress a little more "up" than maybe we would for Teppanyaki.

We don't even take jeans with us when we cruise - I can wear them to work if I choose so for me, it's fun NOT to wear them.:)

• Administrators

We, too, "dress up" for Le Bistro and other specialties (at least a little bit, I wear a dress instead of capris, SO wears a collared shirt), but to answer the OP, yes, jeans are permitted at Cagney's (and all the other specialties). Others on this thread are reporting what they prefer to do (and I agree with most of them in terms of personal decisions), but jeans are allowed.

Heck, last summer shorts were "permitted" by the Le Bistro maitre'd (that's totally outside NCL's code, but there they were -- three hairy legged men in shorts, fresh from a golf excursion, with their dressed to the 9's wives :eek:). Fortunately, my SO and I were at a fabulous window table for 2 with a view of the ocean, so apart from noticing what they were wearing as they were talking about their rounds, I didn't look at them again.

What? We were on the Pearl last year and dined at Cagney's. We dressed "up" and were glad we did. The sign on the desk at the entrance specifically stated no jeans, shorts, sneakers or warm up suits. Have things changed that much? Don't get me wrong, I don't really care what people wear, but is it now a 'free for all'?

• Administrators
What? We were on the Pearl last year and dined at Cagney's. We dressed "up" and were glad we did. The sign on the desk at the entrance specifically stated no jeans, shorts, sneakers or warm up suits. Have things changed that much? Don't get me wrong, I don't really care what people wear, but is it now a 'free for all'?

No, Cagney's is now consistent with the evening dress code for every other restaurant onboard. Resort casual, jeans okay (except one main dining room), shorts not (except Blue Lagoon and lido/buffet) -- for now. Carnival now permits shorts at dinner, so we'll see what NCL might add/change.

We did just eat at Cagney's and it was amusing to see the differences in the clothing that was worn for the evening that we were there. My DD and I chose to wear fancy dresses. The table next to us had a few people with ripped jeans on. The next table had bathing suits with coverups!! (I was shocked at that) Then a couple of tables over, one father with two sons in tux's! Go figure?

We did just eat at Cagney's and it was amusing to see the differences in the clothing that was worn for the evening that we were there. My DD and I chose to wear fancy dresses. The table next to us had a few people with ripped jeans on. The next table had bathing suits with coverups!! (I was shocked at that) Then a couple of tables over, one father with two sons in tux's! Go figure?

I too just got off the Star, and was amused at the difference in taste in clothing for dinner attire, especially the portly gentleman who wore shorts and different colour Crocs. C'mon, buddy, it's dinner.

Yes, NCL changed the "no jeans" policy at the end of 2007. Jeans are now allowed in all dining venues except for one of the two main restaurants on each ship. (designated daily in the Freestyle Daily.)

As far as sneakers, I never saw that on any sign in any restaurant ever on NCL. In fact, I have worn nothing but sneakers to dinner every night that I have sailed on NCL and I have ate in all the dining venues.

We just got off the Gem a few weeks ago. We had dinner in all the specialty restaurant during the week and my husband dressed in long pants while around us people wore shorts. On the 6th night we went to the main restaurant Magenta and my husband wore nice pressed short and a collared shirt and we were turned away ( but first they swiped our card, was it to see what "class" we were?). They told us he had to go change. We came back and waited in line again just to see them let a couple of guys ahead of us with cargo shorts being seated. That didn't go too well with my husband. He got upset and had a few words with the staff at the restaurant.

NCL doesn't adhere to their dress code policy.

Today there is an article in the paper about a family suing NCL in regards to the way they treat passengers and restaurant policy....(it's on aol)

I've cruised on NCL many times, always enjoyed myself, never had a problem, this was the only time.

Just wanted to share this, didn't think it was fair. I did send a note to ncl as well.

~Jo~

We just got off the Gem a few weeks ago. We had dinner in all the specialty restaurant during the week and my husband dressed in long pants while around us people wore shorts. On the 6th night we went to the main restaurant Magenta and my husband wore nice pressed short and a collared shirt and we were turned away ( but first they swiped our card, was it to see what "class" we were?). They told us he had to go change. We came back and waited in line again just to see them let a couple of guys ahead of us with cargo shorts being seated. That didn't go too well with my husband. He got upset and had a few words with the staff at the restaurant.

NCL doesn't adhere to their dress code policy.

Today there is an article in the paper about a family suing NCL in regards to the way they treat passengers and restaurant policy....(it's on aol)

I've cruised on NCL many times, always enjoyed myself, never had a problem, this was the only time.

Just wanted to share this, didn't think it was fair. I did send a note to ncl as well.

~Jo~

Yes, NCL is very inconsistant in the enforcement of their dress code. One maitre'd will be a stickler to the rules, but another will let anything go.

On the Star in 2005, I had friends on their first NCL cruise with us. I was very careful to go over Resort Casual attire with them. (that was before jeans were allowed.) Their teenage daughters weren't too happy with no shorts and no jeans for dinner, but complied with the rules. One night in Aqua, we were dining and they seated this family of four... the two older teen boys in dirty t-shirts and jeans, the wife in one of those nylon warm up suits and the fat father in a sweat suit. These people walked right by us and were seated behind us. Now, imagine my problems at trying to explain to the teen girls why I had been a stickler to them about resort casual and those people were seated anyway. (and let me add...what those people were wearing didn't bother me, nor did it "ruin" my meal....it was just the inconsistancies in rule enforcement that bothered me.)

I don't understand why they scanned your card. Is this a new "class" system that NCL is instituting?? I thought the Caste System was dead in the US because it is a barbaric system and segregationist in nature.....

I just got off the Spirit yesterday. Yes, jeans are definitely allowed in Cagneys. There is a sign at all of the restaurants stating that they don't allow shorts and tank tops. The ONLY restaurant that said they would not allow jeans, is Windows for dinner. And they didn't even enforce that rule...I saw people with jeans in there, too.

We ate at Cagneys and the night we were there I did not notice anyone wearing jeans- Personally, I care what I am wearing and not my fellow passengers- any vacation give me a great excuse to go shopping for cute outfits! My opinion on jeans- I would wear some True Religion, Seven, Kut or any type of designer jean with a cute top and some great high-sandals with great jewlery and feel just fine at Cagneys-

the slobby people do not bother me, I just photo shop them out of the pictures if they make in my pictures!:)

This is really confusing!!! On the one hand they tell you its OK to wear jeans - then on the other they turn someone away who's wearing them. Can't they make up their minds? I really wouldn't wear jeans to dinner, however its nice to know if you wanted to you could. So now I still don't know what to pack!

Here is a quote from the April Freestyle Daily from the Star.

"Jeans are NOT permitted in the "Designated" venue for dinner. All othr dining venues will allow presentable jeans to be worn in the evenings. Shorts, Track Suits, T-Shirts, Cut Offs, Tank Tops and Flip Flops are not permitted in any dining venue for dinner times. Bare feet and Bathing suits are NOT permitted in any inside dining venues at any time."

And when they list all of the Freestyle Dining restaurants, it will state Designated dining room for the restaurant not allowing jeans. On the Star it was the Versailles every night.

We ate at Cagneys and the night we were there I did not notice anyone wearing jeans- Personally, I care what I am wearing and not my fellow passengers- any vacation give me a great excuse to go shopping for cute outfits! My opinion on jeans- I would wear some True Religion, Seven, Kut or any type of designer jean with a cute top and some great high-sandals with great jewlery and feel just fine at Cagneys-

the slobby people do not bother me, I just photo shop them out of the pictures if they make in my pictures!:)

I had on my Lucky's with a nice top and sandals, with a great necklace...I didn't feel out of place at all! ;)

This is really confusing!!! On the one hand they tell you its OK to wear jeans - then on the other they turn someone away who's wearing them. Can't they make up their minds? I really wouldn't wear jeans to dinner, however its nice to know if you wanted to you could. So now I still don't know what to pack!

You'll be on the Spirit? You will DEFINITELY be able to wear jeans. The only venue they tell you you CAN'T wear jeans, is to Windows. Like I said before, I even saw people wearing jeans in there. Although I do have to say they weren't sloppy or torn jeans...they looked perfectly presentable.

I had on my Lucky's with a nice top and sandals, with a great necklace...I didn't feel out of place at all! ;)

Love it!! Luck's have the greatest cut- bet you looked fab!

I am happy to hear that jeans are acceptable... while I enjoy dressing up, my next cruise is to Alaska and I have worried about night time temps. I want to be able to stroll the decks and not freeze... and being able to wear jeans will help cut down on what I need to pack.

Seems Carribean cruises are much easier to pack for..less is more in that case ;)

I think it may depend on where you are cruising. We just returned from our cruise on the Star to Alaska. It was very casual. You were allowed to wear jeans to any restaurant except the Versailles for dinner. We saw all kinds of dress, but the really dressed up folks kinda looked out of place (to me anyway) Personally I wore black pants and a nice top when we went to dinner.

Have fun!

Archived