United food ?

rxnrn

We will be on a United flight from Chicago straight to Honolulu(8 plus hrs). The docs state that there is no meal but food available for purchase. I haven't flown for a few years, so how does this work? Do they come around and ask if you want something and then pay them cash? What are the food options, is it worth it? I suppose free soft drinks and nuts are a thing of the past also. Any info on your experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks

We will be on a United flight from Chicago straight to Honolulu(8 plus hrs). The docs state that there is no meal but food available for purchase. I haven't flown for a few years, so how does this work? Do they come around and ask if you want something and then pay them cash? What are the food options, is it worth it? I suppose free soft drinks and nuts are a thing of the past also. Any info on your experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks

You will get free soft drinks and pretzel/biscotti type things. Only alcohol requires the $5 payment.

Admittedly I've not done HNL flights on UA but it usually after the first drinks is round is done you'll be offered the chance to buy (in cash) one of the boxes. You need to grab an FA and tell them which box you want. The options are listed in the Hemispheres magazine. Mostly junk type food although there are some 'light' options too.

I'd have thought on a relatively long sector like this you'd want to buy the boxes at the beginning of the flight even if you don't intend to eat them until later. They'll probably go faster and be more popular than on a 4hr mid con flight.

On flights five hours or longer, they offer the snack boxes that have salads or sandwiches. I'm looking at the April Hemispheres right now, and here's what they offer. ($5, cash only. Correct change appreciated, as they say.)

Harvest Moon chopped turkey salad, Mediterranean Chicken salad, or Santa Fe chicken salad. For sandwiches the choices are chicken milano wrap, smoked turkey chipotle wrap, or roast beef, ham, and salami on an asiago roll. I think they also have the little snack boxes with chips, salsa, or other snack stuff. Personally, I'd rather get the sandwich or salad for the same price. ;) Now that I read the magazine closer, all those choices don't sound like they are available. Sounds like United gets to pick what they board. Sorry about that. I do know any time I've flown the longer flights, especially to Hawaii, the boxes do sell quick. I think people eat out of boredom.

It's not too bad a deal considering airport food is fast food at nearly twice the price.

Sorry for such a long post, but hope it helps.

Assuming you are flying economy, on the transatlantic portion food will be provided at no charge. On the flight from San Francisco to Hawaii, there will be food available for purchase (the above mentioned snack boxes).

When you are served a meal in coach, IMO, it's unhealthy and pretty nasty. Consider ordering a special meal; there will be a list of them on UA's webpage. They are usually better then the typical coach meal. Never count on them being loaded on the flight though!

And those snack boxes you may purchase for the shorter flights are nothing I would consider eating. For better choices, bring your own food onboard, or consider ordering a meal from skymeals.com. They are a little more expensive, but it's your vacation.

I eat pretty healthy, although I'm not a fanatic. The UA snack boxes are nutritional disasters full of highly processed food loaded with sodium, simple carbs, and saturated fat. It's the type of food available for "lunch" at AM/PM or 7-11. The salads aren't bad if you avoid the dressing and the same goes for the sandwiches.

The airlines' cost savings goes farther than just the meals. Eliminating hot food allows ovens to be removed and requires fewer carts which saves weight and fuel. There's additional fuel savings from not needing power to run the ovens. But ORD-HNL is a loooong time to go without a hot meal!!

It's not too bad a deal considering airport food is fast food at nearly twice the price.

The variety and quality available in airports has improved over the past few years. Most food vendors in airport terminals will put your food in a "carry on board" bag. I haven't had a problem getting reasonably good food to take on the flight. True it's 2x the price, and there is plenty of fast food too if that's your preference.

I agree whole-heartedly that the food-for-purchase is a nutritional disaster and not worth the money.

If possible create some of your own snack bags from home or purchase smartly at the airport.

SFO actually has some quite amazing restaurants so it might be worth checking out what is available and then making a b-line for that restaurant during your layover rather than paying money for what United is offering on-board.

Archived