Those darn luggage tags again

So this time I printed the luggage tags on thicker paper because I don't have a way to laminate and don't have time to shop for clear tape that I'll only use once and will just clutter up my house. :rolleyes:

So I'm looking at the paper now and it says "Fold Do Not Cut". I folded it in half across the middle. Right so far?

Then what, I fold the sides in where it says "Fold Do Not Cut", which would only leave my ship and cabin # showing on one side of the tag?

I don't even know where to find the zip ties that people talk about. Would string or a baggie twist tie be OK too?

Finally, for guest name should I write my name on one and my son's on the other (2 bags) or would it be better to just use one name?

Thanks.

I printed out some of those and I folding one right. Then again we got paper docs and we're using those luggage tags, the actual orange ones. So much easier.

And I think the zip ties people are talking about could be the kind you buy for trash bags. I could be wrong, but when I think "zip ties" that's what I assume

Really you are stressing too much over nothing. The zip ties can be found at wal-mart or any dollar store. I paid $1 for a bag of flourescent ones at dollar general. As far as the actual tag, As long as your name and cabin number are on there, it will get to you even if you use a generic tag provided at the port. It is always wise to have your own id tag on your luggage with your name & address in case something is lost. We wrote our name & address on a piece of paper and put it the outside pocket of our suitcase.

No, you fold the sides first. You know, where it says "1st fold (do not cut)" - the one "blank" side, then fold the other side where it says "2nd fold (do not cut." This is printed right on the tag!

Seriously, this isn't rocket science!

Fold one side legthwise; fold the second; wrap around handle; tape ends together. All that's showing is the colored portion.

So this time I printed the luggage tags on thicker paper because I don't have a way to laminate and don't have time to shop for clear tape that I'll only use once and will just clutter up my house. :rolleyes:

So I'm looking at the paper now and it says "Fold Do Not Cut". I folded it in half across the middle. Right so far?

Then what, I fold the sides in where it says "Fold Do Not Cut", which would only leave my ship and cabin # showing on one side of the tag?

I don't even know where to find the zip ties that people talk about. Would string or a baggie twist tie be OK too?

Finally, for guest name should I write my name on one and my son's on the other (2 bags) or would it be better to just use one name?

Thanks.

If you don't like the tags that come with the eDocs (and many people don't), you can make up some labels with your name and cabin number on them in advance...just simple "peel & stick" labels are fine. Then, once you get to the port and unload your luggage, ask the porter for luggage tags. They will have the old fashioned kind available - all you'll have to do is stick your pre-made labels to the tags and go.

You can also pick up smaller sized rolls of clear packaging tape at your local Dollar Store to laminate the tags that come with your eDocs. It will take a few pieces for each tag. I would also suggest making more tags that you have bags, just in case you find yourself needing to replace a tag. You will find that you won't have all that much tape left over.

If you are stressing just pick up a blank one when you check in with the porter's desk. He will have a whole pile of blank luggage tags. I had to do that once.

If we have E-docs, that is what we do all the time now..get luggage tags at the port. It takes seconds for two people to scribble in the info. OR you can bring address labels to speed the process a little (then you just have to fill in cabin number).

I refuse to use paper crap tags printed off on my PC.

When you say 'the old fashioned ones' that you can get at the port, do you mean the kind with the boat picture and the elastic string? I know everyone's trying to save a buck, but the tags that came with the paper documents aren't that useful.

Do any of you carry your luggage ONTO the ship? My son is worried about the small chance our bag(s) will be lost. We don't bother with a carry on so we'll have items for both of us in each bag. We'll be boarding around 2:00 so our cabin will be ready. Is it worth the trouble dragging it on and up to the Empress deck for peace of mind? (We'll be taking it off ourselves for self embark anyway/early flight)

This is much ado about nothing. I had no problem with the luggage tags. I printed them on somewhat heavier paper, which becomes heavier after the folding. We brought a mini-stapler with us and stapled them on at the hotel before we left for the cruiseport. The Carnival porters also have staplers at the cruiseport. The tags work fine. I wouldn't waste time with laminating. If it will make you feel better, print out two for each bag in case one falls off. But that's even stretching it.

This is much ado about nothing. I had no problem with the luggage tags.

Yes, it seems that way once you know the procedure. I got it now. I didn't just cruise last month; my last was in 2001. Next time it will be easier.

UMM okay, I'm going to hijack just a little bit.

How do you put your cabin number on the luggage tags at port if they haven't been assigned?

So far I haven't had it assigned (I think I found it, but I wouldn't chance putting that number on my luggage tags) and everyone says to just put the number on once you get there, but don't you give your luggage to the porters before you check in? so how would you know your cabin? VERY CONFUSING!! (but I figured out how to fold the tags!!)

HELP!

Thanks.

We used picture quality paper to print our tags, folded them as per the instructions and used staples to attach to the luggage. Did not have any type of problem and they all came back neatly, just as they were the first day.:)

How do you put your cabin number on the luggage tags at port if they haven't been assigned?

The porters will have a list of all cabin assignments and will tell you your cabin number when you give them your luggage. (At least that was the procedure last year when we booked a Guarantee cabin on the Valor and didn't know our cabin until the porter told us).

I take a little different route for our e-tags. I purchased a pack of the following...

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Office-LAMINATING-SHEETS-LS854/dp/B00006HZ5F

* Note, the above refers to a pack of 25 sheets... I picked up a pack of 5 sheets at Wal-Mart for less than $8, but couldn't find a link to it online.

For me, the self laminating luggage tags didn't do the trick. In order to make things work, I would have had to resize the edocs, etc. Too much work.

With the above linked paper, I print off three of the tags from the e-docs, trim off everything at the "1st fold" and "2nd fold" lines, and fold what's left so that, front and back, you can see the all the info. You can place three of these folded tags side by side (with a little room in between so you can cut later) onto a single sheet of the above paper. Follow the directions to do the lamination (peel off one adhered sheet connected to the inside of the lamination paper as well as an adhesive strip on the end, then simply fold the lamination sheet back to it's original form). Viola, you have 3 laminated tags that are really sturdy. Trim them out of the lamination paper. Take a hole punch, pop a hole in the tag, and secure it to your luggage with a zip tie. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's a piece of cake and they won't (easily) come off your bag by a over-zealous luggage handler at either the airport or the cruise port :) If you are in a TBD room, you can write it right on the lamination with a Sharpie pen real fast while at the port (we keep one in DW's purse).

Joe

UMM okay, I'm going to hijack just a little bit.

So far I haven't had it assigned (I think I found it, but I wouldn't chance putting that number on my luggage tags) and everyone says to just put the number on once you get there, but don't you give your luggage to the porters before you check in? so how would you know your cabin? VERY CONFUSING!! (but I figured out how to fold the tags!!)

HELP!

When you have a TBA cabin..when you get to port..some one who works there..usually in a brite green, or orange vest..will have the manifest in their pocket..and look up you name..the cabin # will be on it, then you proceed with your bag business.

We just returned from the Liberty 2 weeks ago. I printed out my 2 luggage tags and figure we'll get a tag from the porter for our carry-on to send it along with our luggage so we wouldn't have to lug it around the ship till the room was ready. The porter didn't know what I was talking about, didn't give me an additional luggage tag, so we ultimately had to lug our carry on around the ship for 2 hours till room was ready. Maybe this was an isolated incident:confused: , or maybe he ran out of tags and just played dumb.

Hardware stores have the zip ties. How would you use them on the tags from cruise line? When we take children we put my DH name on them.

BTW, the zip ties work great on your unruly children. We play a game where we bind our two kids together with zip ties, blindfold them, and take them to a very remote part (usually the secret door) of the ship before letting them loose.

They have to figure out how to get the blindfolds off, chew through the zip ties, and find their way back to the cabin in 15 minutes, or we don't allow them to have dinner that night.

How long did it take you to figure out I'm joking..LOL!

Archived