Monarch on TV tonight

Not sure if this has already been talked about, but I am watching a program on the National Geographic Channel (it's 7:20 p here) called "America's Port"...

It's about the underwater bomb squads and port police etc....it's really interesting and all done on the Monarch..worth a watch if you can ;)

I have never watched that show, put it on and there was Captain Karin! Whatdoyaknow!!

It was a great show, you always wonder if that was you on the ship when it had the near collision while you are snoring away :p

Very informative - and scary. That was a close call with the container ship. As noted above, it makes you wonder how many close calls these ships have without anyone knowing about it.

What about the drug sniffing dog climbing on and pawing at the luggage? Now we know why there are all those unexplained marks when we get our luggage back?

Having to evacuate the port due to a possible bomb wasn't any fun either. Lots of the passengers must have been wondering why they chose to sail instead of doing something else. Not the greatest way to start off a vacation!

Good thing the Capt. took the helm back from the pilot when she did. Bet passengers in the rear section of the ship were wondering why the ship was getting so close to the containers and the dock!

MARAPRINCE

Thanks for the heads up. I Divo'd (our name for Comcast DVR) and watched it yesterday. Pretty interesting. The thing I was most surprised at was the pilot saying something along the lines of, "I guess I should've (come in further left).' I don't remember the exact quote, but something like he came in the wrong way. That was surprising to me because I always thought that the reason the pilot comes on is because they know the ins and outs of their area, including current, wind, etc. Yikes. And the 19 year old kid with some pot residue in his bag.

Thanks again.

I agree that the Pilot is the one who is suppose to bring in the ship because he/she knows the waters and ports. WTG Capt Karin on a job well done!

I for one am glad for all the security, a little inconvenience is worth piece of mind. No system is fool proof but still worth all the efforts and procedures we need to follow.

I wish they had fined the pot kid!! What lesson is he going to learn from that except to not have a container with traces of illegal substances in your bag? He'll just throw out the container on the cruise instead of bring it home.

The bomb-searching thing was very interesting!! Does every port do that with every ship? Or just that port? Or is it random?

That near-crash was exciting - yikes!! Could you imagine you wake up, look out your balcony doors (or window) and see that you're way too close to hitting something big?!?!

And the bomb scare evacuation - definitely not how I'd want my vacation to start out!!!

What about the drug sniffing dog climbing on and pawing at the luggage? Now we know why there are all those unexplained marks when we get our luggage back?

The dog only paws the luggage where there are drugs, which leads one to the question of, "How often do you have illegal drugs in your luggage, Maraprince?!" :p

I agree that the Pilot is the one who is suppose to bring in the ship because he/she knows the waters and ports. WTG Capt Karin on a job well done!

Well, after the recent incident we had in the San Francisco Bay where the port pilot was apparently responsible for running a container ship into the Bay Bridge and spilling over 50K gallons of fuel, I can't say the incident with the Monarch surprised me too much :rolleyes:

Does anyone happen to know when this was shot, by the way? The show info said 2008, but one of the port police said something about "winter in Los Angeles," and it looked like they were loading poinsettias onto the Crystal ship, so I'm guessing last December? I did a quick search and couldn't find any mention of the World Cruise Center being evacuated.

Archived