Denali National Park Tours - Which one?!?!?

lrskier

What a question to tackle from Kansas. My recommendation is go as far into the park as you can on your visit. Then choose the bus/tour that fits your budget, schedule, style. here is the DNP link to the bus fees and tours, you can check out more there:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-fees.htm

The NHT is not a tour I would recommend taking. It only goes to the Ridge at Marker 17, you can personally drive to marker 15/16 if you have your own car. Little to be gained but narrative. TWT is much better if you have time and the tour to the end is for those that desire the max.

Shuttle bus - This is for those of us that like to do our own thing. The Drivers are all like guides, Ours was excellent. No tvs/cams and seats are school bus style, not Greyhound like. You bring your own food/beverages. You can get off and hike or change directions, its your call. Half the price as tours. Again, go as far as you can. WE got to Fish Creek as WL was not open. go. Remember, wildlife loves to forage early morning and late evening so get up out of the sack in Alaska and stay up late.. These was a moose around the campground area in 07 too.

Don't miss the kennels if you can.

What a jewel we have in this park. Enjoy!!!

LRSkier

Does the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge run shuttles to Denali Park? What times do the shuttles run? We are thinking of doing the Tolkat shuttle early but are concerned about how to get from Lodge to Denali Park to Rail and not miss the rail to Fairbanks.

Thanks in advance! I am holding off on booking the Tolkat shuttle until I know for sure.

Does the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge run shuttles to Denali Park?
Yes, you can call the lodge for the schedule.
We are thinking of doing the Tolkat shuttle early but are concerned about how to get from Lodge to Denali Park to Rail and not miss the rail to Fairbanks.
The NPS Shuttle will bring you back to the WAC (Wilderness Access Center) which is about 1 city block from the train platform. What about your luggage? If you are with a cruisetour, they will care for it, but if you are independent, you will need to make arrangements for it.

The Princess site says that their shuttles to the Park run from 7 am to 8 pm. If you are dependent on that shuttle to get to the park, its best to resv in that time frame. And yes, luggage service is available there also to help you checkout timely for them. I don't know about luggage storage at the Park. Ck your schedule as to your date of visit with the train schedule. Good luck and have a blast.

Thank you Irkskier and thinfool for the information it is appreciated. I am getting excited! We leave for Vancouver on the 16th. I cancelled the NHT last night and Princess said that they will be refunding me for it. I think I will call and schedule the Tolkat shuttle for 7:30 am Is this enough time to get from the Lodge to the Park Shuttle?:confused:

You need to find out Where, the Princess lodge shuttle bus goes??? There is the Access Center- where the Fish Creek/Eielsonl, Wonder Lake, Toklat shuttle buses (and some independent TWT buses) leave from and the Visitor Center, which is NOT the same location.

IF you are taking a shuttle bus INTO the park, be aware that you really need to be in line 30 minutes prior to departure.

Verify all the current information directly with the Princess Denali lodge.

There is a FREE Park Service Shuttle bus to Savage River, with sometimes ranger activies scheduled, Great use of time, if you have extra.

Archived