Comparison shopping for OBC - right or wrong?

Leejnd4

I have booked all my cruises with the same TA (16) to date in the last 8 years and have never received an OBC. He charges the same price as the cruise lines. I decided on my last cruise to try that compete thing and found out that I could get an $850. onboard credit from an online TA on 2 cabins for a Med sailing. That is huge. I talked to a real live person and they don't charge any cancellation fees. So, like the OP I now shop around when I am looking for a sailing. I have cruised enough to know where I want to go and which cabin I want. I usually call my TA with the date and ship. He pretty much just books my room. I have had problems on sailings in the past and he has never gone to bat for me with the cruise lines. I have always had to fight my own battles. So, why I am giving him a huge commission? I would rather save the money. Leejnd4, I don't know why anyone would think shopping is insulting. Look at all the money I could probably have saved on my last 16 cruises if I had been more like you!

Dear LeeAnne:

Let's add something to the pot, stir a little and see what happens. I've taken five cruises and numerous other trips during the past 22 years. During that time I have generally used one travel agent or another to help with the final booking. After each trip, which garnered the travel agent some sort of commission, I've gone back to the same travel agent for my next trip. Each time I have done my research, found the best deal available, offered my prior travel agent the opportunity to match the offer found somewhere else, and each time been rejected. This last time the travel agent couldn't be bothered to even call me back.

I have also tried to make new arrangements with a completely new travel agent of the local, full service variety, only to find that they weren't the least bit interested in doing any work once they realized that I wanted them to work for me, and not just for themselves.

Yes, I have had the experience of a former travel agent, or one that I've contacted regarding new business, contact me regarding cruises, but these are always much more expensive than what I'm interested in, and it seems as if they've never met me or talked with me. They never offer me something as good as I can find on my own, so why in the world would they think I'd use their services.

If I, a lay person, can find really good deals, and put them together, why is it so hard to get a travel agent to do the same?

In the end, I want to encourage you and all other independent cruisers to continue to do your research, make decisions, be happy with those decisions and don't let anyone make you feel bad because you were willing to do the work need to get the cruise and the deal you were entitled to.

Happy cruising to all who can still afford to cruise!

Bob

LeeAnn,

Keep up with your research to find the best OBC. Caveat

Bobbyleduck is one individual that enjoys the challenge of

s t r e c t i n g the dollar. Congrads to both of you.

As long as an individual is happy with what they have paid then let them be happy. But many new/old buyers are finding out through sources such as CC that they can get more for there hard earned and saved travel dollar by doing some research.

Everyone have a safe and happy weekend

Bruton Branch:)

Paula and Bobby

Well the cheap bottle of wine would definitely not steal my business away, as I'm pretty picky about my wine! :D Hey, life's too short to drink cheap wine. :p

I appreciate your feedback. It's actually great to hear the perspective of an actual TA. I kinda figured most TA's would not thumb their noses at someone handing them a commission that required virtually no effort - but it's good to hear from one directly!

I respect your opinion about openness and honesty between you and your client. I am very straightforward when I deal with a TA - I tell them clearly that I am a comparison shopper, and they can be confident that I will require very little actual work on their part...and for that, I expect the best deal possible. And if they can't meet or beat other prices I'm finding, I'm going to go elsewhere. For me it's no different than buying any other product - if I know exactly what I want, and where to buy it, I'm going to hunt around until I find it for the lowest cost, and that's where I'm going to get it.

My approach probably doesn't work well for TA's who pride themselves on their comprehensive knowledge, expertise, and service. And I know several TA's who are extremely successful in that niche. One in particular I can think of, knows more about one of the luxury cruise lines than probably the cruise line executives themselves, and she has many fans who wouldn't dream of going elsewhere. They know they can ask her just about anything, from which shore excursion might run late to which entertainer on the ship might be worth skipping...and she'll know the answer, and more. Her customers don't mind paying a premium for her, and feel that her amazing service is worth the extra cost. (I did too - I used her myself before I got so dang independent!) And in a way I kinda wish I could still give her my business. But she simply can't meet the deals I can get through the online TA's that offer no additinional services. That's not the kind of business she operates - and I respect that.

Well, I do pride myself on my knowledge, expertise and service. But, one thing you learn is that you have to be what each client needs you to be. If YOU only want me to give you a price I will do that for you. On the other hand I have spent more hours that you could count putting together packges and offers for other clients, because that is what THEY want. I am in business to provide what each client NEEDS and WANTS. Filling that need is what gives me satisfaction, I enjoy providing service to my clients as much as I enjoy giving them and OBC. I give an OBC to almost ever client I book as a gift for booking with me. I give great service hoping they will be loyal and return to me.

By the way I ALWAYS charge less than the cruise lines EXCEPT for the Cruise Lines that do not allow discounting by TA's. I never charge a service charge and I never charge a cancellation fee, unless the cruise line charges it. I always call a caller back and I have sold cruises where my commission was a grand total of $25. So do not assume that your TA is getting rich.

So do not assume that your TA is getting rich.
Oh I know how hard it is to make a living as a TA these days - that's one of the reasons I didn't even consider becoming one! I don't make a fortune doing what I do either...but I suspect it's not nearly as challenging as being a TA. So my hat's off to you. It sounds like you are trying to bridge that gap between the different types of TA, and be all things to your clients. Can't be easy, so more power to ya!

I tend to "farm out" my bookings just before final payment, too, after I have done extensive research, made my booking, stated all my preferences to the cruiseline, etc. No hand-holding needed here, but I would like a TA to at least be appreciative of getting an extremely easy commission without having to actually work for it.

One time I transferred a booking to a TA well known on this board for expertise on X and ended up getting the stated perks offered by that person's agency, but the service was nothing special. No "words of wisdom," no great table (far from it), just the basics.

The words "thank you" were never voiced by the TA, neither in email nor on the phone.

Nothing is easy that is worth putting my time and effort into. My thought is I learn something with every phone call/email I respons to. Even if I do not get a booking. I worked for the State of MD, Dept. of Natural Resources for 30 years. Most of the time I really enjoyed my work and the people I worked with. BUT it was a government job so it was a bureaucracy, it is such a joy to now work with people planning great cruises. This IS a great job and I love it. I can't wait everyday to get a new phone call or new email so that I have someone new to assist. Some want something simple and some want something much more complicated I enjoy all of it. Some people I can please and some I cannot, I am please to say that so far I seem to please more than those that I do not. I am not in this business to get rich, I am in it to supplement my lousy retirement from the State of MD and to have fun, and mostly help some fellow cruises.

We could not cruise without my frugal manueverings.I have a licensed daycare home and my DH is on disability.We are certainly off the radar as far as cruise demographics go.Two cruises ago I spent sometime with someone who is 50 yrs old and has cruised 40 times.He shared the info with me about booking on board and transferring to a TA.The more we cruise the more I learn.As long as it is legal I will get the best price we can.As far as I'm concerned it's a game to get the best price.I'd love to be in a position to just book our cruises based on where they go but I can't.I just feel so grateful to have two cruises to look forward to.They will be our 9th and 10th cruise in 9 years.I just feel lucky.Any more frugal cruising advice would be appreciated!!!:) Kathy

We could not cruise without my frugal manueverings.I have a licensed daycare home and my DH is on disability.We are certainly off the radar as far as cruise demographics go.Two cruises ago I spent sometime with someone who is 50 yrs old and has cruised 40 times.He shared the info with me about booking on board and transferring to a TA.The more we cruise the more I learn.As long as it is legal I will get the best price we can.As far as I'm concerned it's a game to get the best price.I'd love to be in a position to just book our cruises based on where they go but I can't.I just feel so grateful to have two cruises to look forward to.They will be our 9th and 10th cruise in 9 years.I just feel lucky.Any more frugal cruising advice would be appreciated!!!:) Kathy

It's nice to know that others on this forum are people who need to cut every corner, save every penny on fares etc. Sometimes you get tired of those that say "If you can afford a cruise...why worry about the extra 2-300$ here and there" More people should realize there are those out here who really love to cruise and sacrifice to do so. Our situation isn't as complicated as yours but we live on SS and pension, plus a part-time job my DH has...some cruises required a refinance of our home!! I too wouldn't mind the research etc., still do my own and then call the TA, which puts someone on my side if problems occur, and costs me nothing on my end. I wouldn't want the responsibility of someones' vacation going down the tubes, or else I'd love to do TA work. On our last 2 cruises I did extensive work setting up tours for ourselves and other Cruise Critic members, and worried the whole time about problems arising, but loved the research.:)

Hi Sandybanksferry...Thank you for the reply. I will definately look into booking with an american TA. I already book our own flights as we always go for an extended holiday and play Ta against each other until I get rock bottom price.

This time we are doing a two week trip in Canada before we pick up our Alaskan cruise.Once we are over the pond we want to see as much as possible.This time we ended up with a £500 discount for using our a..miles also an early discount from the cruise line. I then kept phoning the TA to get them to check with Celebrity if our price had gone down eventually we got a fantastic deal but of course with UK Ta you can lose tour deposit if you have to cancel

I have friends that live on Cape Cod so I will get in touch with the Ta they use.

Do you use a regular land based Ta or trawl the net and use one that way?

Sorry to be a pest but I want to cruise as much as possible and every penny helps!!!icon7.gif

I have learned a lot from this thread. I just booked a cruise for next year for my college-age daughter and me. I did the research on line and selected the cabin I want. I was too impatient to wait and go to a local TA, even though I know one through my local health club. I was hesitant to go to her after booking it myself because I didn't know the booking could be tranferred to her. She works for an agency. I would be happy to transfer it to her to let her get a commission, but I don't want to lose my cabin choice. I would also love to get some OBC for this 14 day cruise. Can I keep all of my arrangements and transfer them to her? I haven't booked my shore excursions yet. Can I do that on my own after switching to a TA?

We have a new TA who has booked 3 cruises for us and each time we have received $100 (4-day), $200 (5-day) and $1800 (14-day) which enables us to pay for shore excursions and spa treatments.....I think we will keep her....

Cathy ~ you can transfer your booking to an agent and nothing changes except you who deal with. You retain your cabin and everything else that is attached to your reservation (dining preference, etc). You can make your shore excursion reservations at anytime as this isn't something the TA does for you. Your reservation is already in Celebrity's system (and remains that way) so you can go on line and book shore excursions at anytime (regardless of who has control of your reservation).

I transfer my bookings to our travel agent because in my experience when I need something after I book, I have found my own agent to be much more responsive. I don't do it for the OBC (I almost always have an OBC for booking on a previous cruise plus I get the stockholder OBC). For me, there is value in being able to go to my own TA at any time and get things accomplished.

Hi Sandybanksferry...Thank you for the reply. I will definately look into booking with an american TA. I already book our own flights as we always go for an extended holiday and play Ta against each other until I get rock bottom price.

This time we are doing a two week trip in Canada before we pick up our Alaskan cruise.Once we are over the pond we want to see as much as possible.This time we ended up with a £500 discount for using our a..miles also an early discount from the cruise line. I then kept phoning the TA to get them to check with Celebrity if our price had gone down eventually we got a fantastic deal but of course with UK Ta you can lose tour deposit if you have to cancel

I have friends that live on Cape Cod so I will get in touch with the Ta they use.

Do you use a regular land based Ta or trawl the net and use one that way?

Sorry to be a pest but I want to cruise as much as possible and every penny helps!!!icon7.gif

Hi Grannybee

that Canada/Alaska trip sounds fantastic

we too try to save every penny we can to maximise our holidays on our budget

in answer to your question I've only used web based agencies so far but would also consider using a "bricks and mortar" agent as our American friends seem to call them.

Competing for a cruise icon12.gif has yielded some handy information from which to work on

Thank you Sandbankferry...I will look at contacting TAs when we get back from our visit to Venice. God Bless Ryanair and Liverpool Airport! It makes the savings on our cruise go towards these lottle cheapy holidays.:)

[quote name='cathy82']I have learned a lot from this thread. I just booked a cruise for next year for my college-age daughter and me. I did the research on line and selected the cabin I want. I was too impatient to wait and go to a local TA, even though I know one through my local health club. I was hesitant to go to her after booking it myself because I didn't know the booking could be tranferred to her. She works for an agency. I would be happy to transfer it to her to let her get a commission, but I don't want to lose my cabin choice. I would also love to get some OBC for this 14 day cruise. Can I keep all of my arrangements and transfer them to her? I haven't booked my shore excursions yet. Can I do that on my own after switching to a TA?[/quote]

You can transfer any booking as look as it is not paid in full. This would allow you to keep all the arrangements you have already made. Celebrity does not allow any TA to discount their cruise prices unless someone has put together a 'group' and thus has already received a group discount. OR you can put together your own group and get a discount that way. BUT TA will often offer you other incentives to get and keep your business. RCCL is another cruise line that does not allow TA to discount the cruise price. Any agency that is discounting the cruise price is merely booking you into a group and giving you that price.

Leeanne,

I have read your posts here and on other threads. They show you to be a very intelligent person. Of course a cruiser looks for an agent who provides the combination of service and cost that best suits that cruiser. Before we had a computer, we used a great travel agent here in Fayetteville. We used her FAX to query small hotels in Europe about price and to reserve rooms, and booked several river cruises through her. She provided great service and we became good friends. Of course the fact that we saw eye to eye about things political also cemented our friendship. Very sadly, she and her architect husband both passed away at too early an age a few years ago.

Since then we have used web agents. After trying two others, who were OK but not great, we have settled on a web agent way out in NM with whom we can correspond by e-mail or telephone, who gives OBC's and has no cancellation fees. We too know where and when we are going on a specific cruise ship, and so inform our agent. We have also used this agent to book river cruises and tours at a sizable discount. There have been a couple of mis communications with Donna, but these have been rapidly corrected.

I also recall trying a blind cruise bidding. The outcome did not result in our using anyone responding, but someone may want to try that.

Changes in technology change many things. The internet and low cost of home computers have changed travel bookings in major ways. We have to "go with the flow".

Bob :cool:

I am on the other side, I feel like I have been insulted by my TA. We are booked, for the first time on a Celebrity ship. We were told by the TA that OBCs are not allowed by Celebrity. Maybe naively on my part I believed her. Anyway we booked through her an expensive 14 day South America cruise on the Infinity for next spring. Now I find out OBCs are standard practice. We have a premier cabin so I do not want to switch TAs and loose the cabin. I find this treatment insulting. I feel like I just got taken by my TA.

I think LeAnne is doing it the correct way. It is a business and why should she not get the best OBC. Basically the OBC is the discount that Celebrity does not allow them to offer. The TA offers the best OBC so LeAnne will book through them again.

Francine

[quote name='missouri_girl']I am on the other side, I feel like I have been insulted by my TA. We are booked, for the first time on a Celebrity ship. We were told by the TA that OBCs are not allowed by Celebrity. Maybe naively on my part I believed her. Anyway we booked through her an expensive 14 day South America cruise on the Infinity for next spring. Now I find out OBCs are standard practice. We have a premier cabin so I do not want to switch TAs and loose the cabin. I find this treatment insulting. I feel like I just got taken by my TA.

I think LeAnne is doing it the correct way. It is a business and why should she not get the best OBC. Basically the OBC is the discount that Celebrity does not allow them to offer. The TA offers the best OBC so LeAnne will book through them again.

Francine[/QUOTE]

It's not too late... show your TA this thread and give her a chance to offer you OBC.

While reading this thread, I realize that Celebrity must be paying substantial commissions to its travel agents if they can afford to give such large On Board Credits and still stay in business.

With this in mind, I wonder if Celebrity will ever make it financially advantageous for people to book directly through them considering the fact that they save a fortune in commissions this way.

[quote name='Bobblsc']Leeanne,

I have read your posts here and on other threads. They show you to be a very intelligent person. Of course a cruiser looks for an agent who provides the combination of service and cost that best suits that cruiser. Before we had a computer, we used a great travel agent here in Fayetteville. We used her FAX to query small hotels in Europe about price and to reserve rooms, and booked several river cruises through her. She provided great service and we became good friends. Of course the fact that we saw eye to eye about things political also cemented our friendship. Very sadly, she and her architect husband both passed away at too early an age a few years ago.

Since then we have used web agents. After trying two others, who were OK but not great, we have settled on a web agent way out in NM with whom we can correspond by e-mail or telephone, who gives OBC's and has no cancellation fees. We too know where and when we are going on a specific cruise ship, and so inform our agent. We have also used this agent to book river cruises and tours at a sizable discount. There have been a couple of mis communications with Donna, but these have been rapidly corrected.

I also recall trying a blind cruise bidding. The outcome did not result in our using anyone responding, but someone may want to try that.

Changes in technology change many things. The internet and low cost of home computers have changed travel bookings in major ways. We have to "go with the flow".

Bob :cool:[/quote]

I agree with you, in that many people already know where they want to go, what ship they want, evev what stateroom they want. I have a number of very good clients just like that. I give them discounted cruise fares, when I can, OBC, and sometimes other gifts as well, depending on who they are and the cruise. I recently had a good friend call me that had never cruised before and had no idea what they wanted. They wanted cruise only out of Seattle. I gave them a GREAT price, booked them on HAL, gave them $200 OBC, roses in their room, lunch and dinner in the Pinnacle and a photo. My goal here is for them to have a great time, love crusing and want to cruise again. That is more important to me than how much $ I make on them off of them.

I want satisfied clients that come back and tell me they had a great time. If they want my help I am here for them 200% if they only want me to do the booking and give them a good price and an OBC I will do that too. BUT ALL my clients are just as important to me! I value each and every one!:D

Thank you, nice lady from Maryland. You may be one of the few who agree with me about anything on these boards. :D

Hey Missouri Girl, I hope you change agents and get an OBC. It is not so much that your current agent did not give you one that is upsetting. It is the fact that she apparently lied. Surely she knew that OBC's were not prohibited.

I grew up in Jeff City and went to school in Columbia. You have got to [U]show me[/U] too. Are you from Central Missouri also? Maybe we could start a Missouri thread at CC. What do you think? I am bobe at uark dot edu. If you want, let me hear from you.

Bob :cool:

[quote name='Bobblsc']Thank you, nice lady from Maryland. You may be one of the few who agree with me about anything on these boards. :D

Hey Missouri Girl, I hope you change agents and get an OBC. It is not so much that your current agent did not give you one that is upsetting. It is the fact that she apparently lied. Surely she knew that OBC's were not prohibited.

I grew up in Jeff City and went to school in Columbia. You have got to [U]show me[/U] too.

Hi Bob :)

In your post quoted above you mentioned that you went to school in Columbia, MO. Was that Mizzou?

[quote name='missouri_girl']I am on the other side, I feel like I have been insulted by my TA. We are booked, for the first time on a Celebrity ship. We were told by the TA that OBCs are not allowed by Celebrity. Maybe naively on my part I believed her. Anyway we booked through her an expensive 14 day South America cruise on the Infinity for next spring. Now I find out OBCs are standard practice. We have a premier cabin so I do not want to switch TAs and loose the cabin. I find this treatment insulting. I feel like I just got taken by my TA.[/QUOTE]

A couple of points. First, shopping around is the only way to purchase anything in my and most peoples minds. There's nothing wrong with comparing prices and services. However not everyone shops on price. I know many people that buy something at Macy's even though they know that same item is at WalMart for a few bucks less. They just choose not to shop at WalMart

Second, your TA isn't necessarily insulting you when they said OBC's are not allowed because, technically, they are against RCCL's policy. When RCCL changed the policy to stop discounting they also disallowed things like gift cards and OBC's, basically anything you could put a specific dollar amount on. For whatever reason, they are not enforcing this policy. When someone offers an OBC and nothing happens, it just makes sense that they'll offer it again if they believe it offers them a competitive advantage. And eventually another agency will say hey, if they can do it, so can I. As a matter of fact, more and more agencies are actually starting to discount RCCL cruises. It's simple to do this, instead of the clients credit card being charged through Royal/Celebrity, the agency charges the discounted amount through their agency and just sends the net due to the cruise line. Royal/Celebrity never knows what the customer actually pays. Until/unless RCCL enforces that policy, you're going to see more and more agencies just offer a straight discount.

There are millions of people that cruise and really, only a small fraction show up here on Cruisecritic. A lot of agencies aren't even aware of it. At least as far as all the information it offers. So your TA may not be insulting you, they may just be doing what they're supposed to by the book and not even aware that OBC's are happening more and more (shame on them for not knowing their marketplace).

[quote name='Sky Sweet']While reading this thread, I realize that Celebrity must be paying substantial commissions to its travel agents if they can afford to give such large On Board Credits and still stay in business.[/QUOTE]

The ones that offer the large OBC's do it on volume. When someone is offered an OBC like the ones mentioned here, the agency profit is most likely in the $50-100 range for a cabin after the OBC. That's it. You can do the math on how many of those commissions it takes to make a living.

[quote name='Sky Sweet']With this in mind, I wonder if Celebrity will ever make it financially advantageous for people to book directly through them considering the fact that they save a fortune in commissions this way.[/QUOTE]

It's what the airlines did. Don't forget their costs go up significantly with that kind of business model. Look at all the customer service issues the airlines have had over the last several years. Airlines pretty much only compete on price and I don't know anyone that likes to fly anymore but they do because the have to. Not very many people have to cruise. It wouldn't surprise me if one day in the near future someone tried net rates to everyone however my money would be on Carnival to start that one.

I do wonder what would happen if one major US airline announced they would pay commissions to agencies again. I can't help but think that airline would see a huge increase in passenger traffic. It would be a neat experiment.

[quote name='Bobblsc']Thank you, nice lady from Maryland. You may be one of the few who agree with me about anything on these boards. :D

I grew up in Jeff City and went to school in Columbia. You have got to [U]show me[/U] too. Are you from Central Missouri also? Maybe we could start a Missouri thread at CC. What do you think? I am bobe at uark dot edu. If you want, let me hear from you.

Hi Bob

I grew up in Rolla, went to Mizzou for graduate school and taught in Jeff City at St Joseph's Catholic School (in the mid 70's). I live in Wisconsin since 1985. Love the Packers but miss Missouri horribly! Especially springtime in the Ozarks.

Francine

Archived