Please Help !

RetdCruizers

My husband and I hosted an exchange student from the former East Berlin about 10 years ago. He became our "third" son and he considers us to be his parents. He's now married and in medical school in Europe. He and his little family are coming to the States (between semesters) to visit us in February 2009 (the worse month of the year to visit the US, weather-wise):eek: ...We were thinking of taking them on a cruise to the Caribbean where it's warm and sunny. However, I don't know how the cruise lines price children (they will have two children at that time, a 2 1/2 year and a 6 month old):

• Do all of the cruise lines charge for each child at an adult fare?
  • Is there an means of securing a "tub" for the children to take a bath, or do you have to bring one onto the ship (inflatable).
  • Does anyone have any suggestions? I can think of more negatives than positives regarding taking our adopted "family" on a cruise.

Your help and suggestions will be much appreciated...

My husband and I hosted an exchange student from the former East Berlin about 10 years ago. He became our "third" son and he considers us to be his parents. He's now married and in medical school in Europe. He and his little family are coming to the States (between semesters) to visit us in February 2009 (the worse month of the year to visit the US, weather-wise):eek: ...We were thinking of taking them on a cruise to the Caribbean where it's warm and sunny. However, I don't know how the cruise lines price children (they will have two children at that time, a 2 1/2 year and a 6 month old):

• Do all of the cruise lines charge for each child at an adult fare?
  • Is there an means of securing a "tub" for the children to take a bath, or do you have to bring one onto the ship (inflatable).
  • Does anyone have any suggestions? I can think of more negatives than positives regarding taking our adopted "family" on a cruise.

Your help and suggestions will be much appreciated...

Princess charges the same rate for children as adult passengers, 3rd and 4th berth rates, so you would not be able to find a deal for the kids on Princess. I am not quite sure, but I think there are other cruise lines out there that discount childrens rates a little more.

Most cruise lines have 'shower only' until you go into the higher category staterooms onboard. Disney is one I have heard supplies them in most of the staterooms though, and they are a bit higher in price.

Best of luck, I hope you find a cruise line to fit your needs.

6 months is the minimum age for children on a lot of cruise lines, so you'll want to be sure that he/she is fully six months old when they sail. NCL, and possibly others, charges a greatly reduced rate for children under 2 years old. The 2 1/2 year old would cruise at the 3rd/4th passenger rate.

The 6 month old could probably bathe in the bathroom sink (padded with towels), but except for the more expensive suites and mini suites, most cabins have only showers. Holland America and Disney do offer more cabins with tubs.

Another consideration is the children's program. NCL's starts at 2 (but must be potty trained; most other cruise lines start at 3. Only a few cruise lines offer private babysitting; Princess is not among them.

Some cruise lines offer promotions that allow children 17 and younger to cruise free with their parents. Some online websites can help you find them. Nearly all HAL outside cabins on their S Class ships have tubs. Good luck!

Disney's regular balcony cabins are comparable to mini-suites on Princess. Both of these type cabins have a tub.

We have found the mini-suites to be less expensive that the balcony cabins on Disney. We also feel the kid's program on Princess to be superior to the Disney offering.

Lew

Archived