Need advice on which cruiseline to choose

My DH and our 2 DD's are going on a 4 day cruise to the bahamas in July. The girls have never been, so this will be quite an experience for them. My DH and I want to take a cruise in January or March for our anniversary without our DD's. I would really like advice on which cruise would be best. I am mid 40's, he is mid 50's. Neither of us are partiers, we tend to like the less rowdy set. Classy is fine, but we also enjoy laid back, but without the kid energy, etc. We want to go to the Caribbean, and length doesn't matter, what crowd (based on boat) is more important. I would rather take a longer cruise (more expensive) if that meant we would be on a boat more geared to our temper than a shorter one (cheaper) that would be less to our liking. Thanks for any info you can give.

I would highly suggest Celebrity. They are more laid back, and have a more elegant feel to their ships, and nice itineraries. Celebrity doesn't have the glitz of other cruise lines, and I think has a more mature atmosphere.

Holland America would be just the ticket for you! They have 7-14 day Caribbean itineraries available during the January - March time frame. I think that you would love the Veendam or Maasdam (about 1200 passengers with very few children).

I would suggest Holland America. We were on the Noordam and although it wasn't the cruise line for us, it was a very beautiful ship, great food and excellent service. We went for 10 days in March and didn't see any children at all, the pax were 70 +.

Celebrity sounds like a good fit or perhaps Cunard (my favorite). They focus on more traditional cruising--quality food, more formal dress codes, fewer children and young adults--than some of the lines that are marketed more for sports and activities (Royal Caribbean), parties and fun times (Carnival), and laid-back casualness (NCL). I have not been on Holland America, but it seems to be similar to Crystal (with perhaps an older clientele) or Princess (with perhaps a slightly younger clientele) but they may be similar to Celebrity and Cunard.

The time you go is the key. Yes, you generally have an older crowd on celebrith, HAL...But length of cruise is also important. Early on, I found out that the longer the cruise, the older the crowd, because older folks have more money for longer cruises, and more time off to take them. But I was very surprised last January to find on my 5 day Celebration cruise, a definitely older crowd, particularly several large groups of seniors bused in for the trip. If you stay away from holidays and school breaks, you will have an older crowd no matter what line you choose.. EM

The biggest mistake people make in selecting a cruise is failing to take into account whether the cruise experience that the line is seeking to provide is in tune with their lifestyle. For example, people looking for an informal party cruise atmosphere are not going to be happy on a more formal line. Thus, you have asked exactly the right question.

From what you have said, it sounds like you would be most attuned to the premium market lines such as Celebrity, Cunard, and Holland America. The average age on Celebrity and Cunard is more like your age. Celebrity is somewhat more casual than Cunard.

During the time frame you are looking at the only time Cunard ships will be in the Caribbean is in January as part of their world cruises.

As a general rule, the longer the cruise, the older and the more sophisticated the passengers. This rule even applies on the lines that tend to attract a younger audience such as Princess, RCI, and Carnival. The tipping point is at the 7 day mark.

Also, you have to keep in mind the time of year and whether there are any holidays. People cruising in the winter generally tend to be older and more sophisticated. However, a cruise during President's Day, Spring Break or any other peiord when the schools are not in session are going to have young familes with children.

I was wondering if someone can give me any suggestions about taking the NCL cruises. My husband and I are planning a cruise for the Western Carribean in December of this year. I can't seem to find anyone to give me any information about this cruise line. We went on Princess in December of 2006 and we really loved it but they don't travel to Belize. My husband and I want a ship that will take us to Belize and Cozumel during the same trip. Thanks!

I would suggest Celebrity, Princess, or Holland America. If I were you I would avoid March because that is spring break time.

Because at spring break time even HAL has too many kids.

To the OP-the crusie I would like to do next is a partial Panama Canal. HAL Zuiderdam has the best itternary but RCI Jewel of the Seas (my second choice) which is a radience class ship so very differenat form the voyager class and freedom class-it that does not have all the "bells and whistles" of those monster ships that are designed to attract the age 35 and under set.

Those crusies are 10 day cruises-so I suspect would have hardly any children or teens.

I was wondering if someone can give me any suggestions about taking the NCL cruises. My husband and I are planning a cruise for the Western Carribean in December of this year. I can't seem to find anyone to give me any information about this cruise line. We went on Princess in December of 2006 and we really loved it but they don't travel to Belize. My husband and I want a ship that will take us to Belize and Cozumel during the same trip. Thanks!

Go to the NCL forum-I am sure you will find plenty there.

Newmexiconita can give you plenty of information on that line-look for her posts.

Beyondships - I totally agree with you - too many people choose a cruise based on price and itinerary only and then are upset with the cruiseline because it didn't match their idea of a perfect cruise. They forget that they will be spending plenty of time on the ship and don't realize that each cruiseline caters to a different niche of passengers.

I would advise a new cruiser to look at the ads for the different cruiselines - they reflect the niche that the cruiseline caters to. A good travel agent is also a big help. When we decided to take a cruise for the first time, we met with a local agent who asked us a lot of questions about our likes and dislikes and our thoughts on an ideal vacation. He matched us with Celebrity and we found that although not completely perfect, it met nearly all our ideals.

After all our cruises, we now cruise for the shipboard experience and ports are just gravy - an extra that if tasty (ports we have never been to before and would like to see) we indulge, and if not we stay on the ship.

You can't go wrong with either Celebrity or Royal Carib. Those are the only lines we sail. We have done 4 Carib cruises and have another coming up next Jan. 17th on Celebrity Galaxy to the S. Carib. Our last Carib cruise was also on Galaxy.

The others were on RCCL Explorer and Adventure. The Adventure cruise was also to the S. Carib, 7 nights with stops in Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten and St. Thomas round trip from San Juan.

The coming Jan. one is 11 nights also round trip from San J including Aruba and Curacao, but also Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts and Tortola. We don't ever repeat itineraries, but sometimes ports overlap.

We love Galaxy and hate to hear that this winter is the last season she will be with Celebrity. We're really glad to have a chance to sail her once more. Our other Galaxy cruise was our first of more than 7 nights and we haven't done anything less than 11 since. Our last 4 cruises have been 11, 12, 11, and 14 nights and next year we have the 11-night Galaxy and a 12-night Summit cruise booked. If you book our cruise for next Jan., join the roll call.

!/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour 2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal 6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor.Fjords +3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 1/09 Mercury Aust/NZ

1/09 Galaxy S. Carib. 6/09 Summit Classical Mediterranean

We just got back from Carnival Glory Western itinerary. We went to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan Honduras, and Freeport. Our 3rd time on the Glory and this was our best cruise ever.:D

Take a look at Disney...they have 3 and 4 day cruises to the Bahamas. There will be lots of kids on board for your kids to hang out with, the kids program is really good, the ships are beautiful and I don't think you can top Castaway Cay as a great place to spend the day. We did the 3-day for our first cruise ever (in case we found out that we hated cruising) and wished we had booked something longer. They have some new special itineraries but in general, the itinerary is the same for the 3 and 4 day cruise except with the 4 day, you get a sea day.

I agree with the Celebrity Princess Holland America comment. These lines are all good and the variations one to the other are subtle and usually open more to opinion than to facts.. But do your research .. look at the itineraries and pricing and let that help you choose.

For the one looking for a cruise for the two adults without the children that aren't big partiers and wants relaxation:

Holland is geared more to an older crowd. You will probably see me people 55 and older (senior citizens). However, they are more layed back and not partiers. Activities are low key too. Princess is a happy medium, classy, has plenty to offer but more ages averaging 40-60. RCCL is wonderful, lots to offer in a classy atmosphere, age group probably more 30-60 and Carnival which I also love 30-60. Having said that. I chose according to how long, the itinerary and what the ship has to offer. I am a active person and love all the activities and shows, but I am not a partier. I don't drink but I like to dance. I find carnival has more of a variety of lounges that offer different types of bands and music, where as RCCL has less lounges with actitivites. When I was on Princess that were like RCCL except that had places like the cigar lounge and things geared more towards older people. So you need to think about what you want to get out of the trip. The shows and food to me is about the same. So it would be itinerary and how much actitivies you are looking for. Also the time of the year to stear away from a lot of kid would be end of September, Oct, Nov, Jan, Feb, first of May. Also, where you live and which port you want to go from.

mom of meg,

Carnival Legend from Tampa offers this itinerary every week from Tampa to Belize, Cozumel and Honduras. This would be a nice choice for you or I have been on the Glory and it does this itineray too but not every week from Port Canaveral. These two ships are both Carnival but from a different class. Glory being the newest, but the Legend has a great layout and people seem to enjoy her.

My sister did NCL last year and has cruised several lines as well as myself. What she didn't like was the anytime dining experience. It was more casual and laid back. She enjoys the assigned seating so they can meet new people at their dinner table. So, if you like this aspect and dressing up a couple of nights then, you might rethink it. If you just want to enjoy each others company and don't want dinner companions and more casual atmosphere then you may enjoy it. She said the food was about like others. She says Celeberty has the best food!

Take a look at Disney...they have 3 and 4 day cruises to the Bahamas. There will be lots of kids on board for your kids to hang out with, the kids program is really good, the ships are beautiful and I don't think you can top Castaway Cay as a great place to spend the day. We did the 3-day for our first cruise ever (in case we found out that we hated cruising) and wished we had booked something longer. They have some new special itineraries but in general, the itinerary is the same for the 3 and 4 day cruise except with the 4 day, you get a sea day.

She was asking about a cruise for herself and hubby minus the kids. She had already picked out a 4 day with the kids this July , she also wants to do a 7 day or longer with hubby next January.

mom of meg,

Carnival Legend from Tampa offers this itinerary every week from Tampa to Belize, Cozumel and Honduras. This would be a nice choice for you or I have been on the Glory and it does this itineray too but not every week from Port Canaveral. These two ships are both Carnival but from a different class. Glory being the newest, but the Legend has a great layout and people seem to enjoy her.

I might would consider the legend as it is a spirt class, so it goes to the Panama Canal and makes a partial transit?

My DH and our 2 DD's are going on a 4 day cruise to the bahamas in July. The girls have never been, so this will be quite an experience for them. My DH and I want to take a cruise in January or March for our anniversary without our DD's. I would really like advice on which cruise would be best. I am mid 40's, he is mid 50's. Neither of us are partiers, we tend to like the less rowdy set. Classy is fine, but we also enjoy laid back, but without the kid energy, etc. We want to go to the Caribbean, and length doesn't matter, what crowd (based on boat) is more important. I would rather take a longer cruise (more expensive) if that meant we would be on a boat more geared to our temper than a shorter one (cheaper) that would be less to our liking. Thanks for any info you can give.

I would highly recommend HAL's Westerdam. The ship does a lovely itinerary from Ft. Lauderdale with stops at Half Moon Cay (their private island), Aruba, and Curacao. We've done it two years in a row (Feb. 2007 and April 2008) and loved it both times. The weather, since you are going further south into the caribbean, is very warm, whereas some of the other caribbean islands closer to Florida may not be as warm. And the Westerdam is a fabulous ship. I would suggest avoiding March because of spring break, as well as President's week in February. I would go either very early February or late February. We love that HAL is not the "old" crowd it used to be (although, to be honest, the demographics will be older than Carnival). But it is more like old style cruising. Very limited public announcements, they come around and ring dinner bells when dinner is being seated instead of announcing it over a loudspeaker, etc. And I love that all their cabins have bathtubs, even the inside cabins. But I would recommend a balcony cabin on Deck 4. Those are Cat. VD and among the least expensive balcony cabins, but they have the largest balconies vs. the other standard balcony cabins.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jo-Ann

I would also recommend DCL - DH and I took a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas with NCL, and liked it, but we were blown away by DCL for the kids and the adults, as well). However, I don't know how old your kids are, but we did the 3 night, after 6 nights at the parks, and now they really want to go on a longer cruise (with sea days, since they didn't get to do much on the ship). Castaway Cay - put NCL's island to shame.

The problem with DCL is that you are now spoiled. However, since we're under a 1/2 hour from NJ/NY ports, we will now have to take cruises from there (family of 7 - airfare is a nightmare!).

Archived