NCL - Alaska vs. RCCL or Celebrity

tinykygal

Have cruised 2X on RCCL, daughter & son-in-law think Celebrity is the "best". Attempting to get info for an Alaskan cruise - any thoughts out there about NCL vs. RCCL or Celebrity.

I realize that there is no perfection.

I am new to the Boards & appreciate all the fine information I have found.:)

It's a matter of what makes your cruise special? For us freestyle alone keeps us coming back. We have done RCL twice and much prefer NCL for lots of reasons although I think RCL has a few more activities. Most of the Alaskas cruises stop at so many ports ship activities really are not that important and we like the food on NCL better. As for Celebrity it's a great line though we didn't think it was that much better than NCL. I would decide according to price and itinerary, but would think Celebrity and NCL would be a toss up. If pampering is really important to you and your family Celebrity would win. If relaxation is important do NCL. Just me opinion

NMNita

Alaska is unique- so for me, it's important what is outside the ship. So consider- route (I avoid Seattle sailings like the plague - too much outside passage sailing), ports, time in ports, glacier (Glacier Bay is my clear preference), price. Be sure to budget fully for excursions- you get only half a trip without them.

Have cruised 2X on RCCL, daughter & son-in-law think Celebrity is the "best". Attempting to get info for an Alaskan cruise - any thoughts out there about NCL vs. RCCL or Celebrity.

I realize that there is no perfection.

I am new to the Boards & appreciate all the fine information I have found.:)

Yes, to combine what BQ and NMN have said, NCL (and Princes for that matter) allow for open seating dinners which work well in Alaska as you can eat whenever you want and do not have to miss out on port time. AK is about what is off the ship, not what is on. BQ is right about choosing for glaciers as well. THe only ship from RCCL, Celebrity, and NCL that goes into Glacier Bay is the N. Star and that is RT from Seattle. Fo rme, I like the N/S Glacier runs that stop at College Fjord and Glacier Bay. These are the best 2 stops in AK for glaciers.

As for onboard experiences, NCL and RCCL are considered to be on par with one another. Celebrity is RCI's premium brand, so would probably be better, but that is up to personal tastes.

Archived