Back from the Prinsendam Med Cruise

cactuslady

I understand you've already heard from 'Vegas Jim, who couldn't resist buying the internet time package onboard. I haven't read his postings yet, and studiously avoided all computers while gone (as I promised). Here are my brief notes and answers to questions I know have been asked. Please ask away if you want more info!

In general, the cruise was wonderful, fabulous, educational, interesting and terrific (even though we didn't have an S suite this time). Of course, I always think so, so I'll try to add some specifics.

Itinerary and Ports

The European Treasures itinerary, which went from Lisbon to Turkey, with 2 days in Rome, a few hours circling Stromboli to watch it smoke, and ending in Athens, was brilliant. We visited most of the places I learned about in Western Civilization class, plus quite a few more amazing sights that were news to me. If it was a wonder of the ancient world or a place where the course of history was changed, we were there. Many libraries have been written about these destinations, so I'll leave off the descriptions.

HAL features I liked: (1) A day or two before each port, we received a 4-page booklet with a map of the town and a description of the history and significance of the area. These are so nice that I kept them all as souvenirs and references. A far cry from my experience in the Caribbean, where we basically got a list of jewelry stores approved by the ship. (2) A Port Lecturer was on board, who narrated the scenic cruising and gave detailed lectures on each port. (3) The Flagship Lecture series was in place, with another expert giving more in-depth insight on particular topics, such as the history of the Olympics, with slides showing ancient pottery depictions of sports. Both port and Flagship lectures were rebroadcast continuously on cabin TV, which we appreciated as we missed attending in person.

Cabin Accommodations

Our SS Veranda Suite was lovely, much larger than the SS cabins on the S class ships. Also much larger and with more amenities than provided for our recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria. No suite dinners or Neptune Lounge privileges, of course, but we had fresh flowers, wool lap blankets, a wonderful dressing table with lighted makeup mirror right next to the windows, another desk (for the DH), beautiful cabinetry, a large walk-in closet, more storage space than we knew what to do with, and a huge bathroom with 2 separate sink areas. The tub was full-size, but I would have preferred a hand-held shower head instead of the fixed one.

Sadly, the new mattresses were not yet in place, although we enjoyed a comfy duvet. Lots and lots of toiletries were provided. We immediately purchased the unlimited laundry and pressing package ($95), and enjoyed clean clothes every day with a minimum of packing and no trips to the washing machine.

We were in Cabin 024 which, along with 022 and the corresponding forward two SSs on the starboard side, has a larger veranda than most. It was nice to have the space, but the veranda ended up being under-furnished. There were two plastic "wicker" armchairs and a ottoman/coffee table. The veranda would have accommmodated a lounge chair, which would have been very nice. Furnishings for 022 were the same. Cabin 022 (and the forward SS on starboard) gets less sun and/or rain than the other SSs, as there is an overhang from the larger balcony above. The overhang extends about 1/3 of the way into the 024 veranda. Otherwise, the SS verandas all stick out a little farther than the deck above (the Lido). Note that we had rough seas one day, with spray sweeping across our veranda and drenching our windows (on deck 10). If you want to avoid this, choose a cabin farther aft.

About those aft-facing cabins everyone wants to know about: They have "patio" areas with coated glass around them, so you can't see in. They get no sun, as pretty much the entire aft private deck area is under cover. It's "private" in that there are ropes keeping the rifraff out, but we could still get on the deck to go up and down the stairs to other decks.

We learned that there were plumbing problems for many of the SS cabins. Fortunately, we were not affected. We were told by the Captain that the ship is being re-piped.

Oh yes -- in contrast to other ships, we heard NO noise from above, below or neighboring cabins. We heard comments to the same effect from people in other cabins.

Dining Room

We shared our second seating table with 4 Dutch New Zealanders, so had quite lively and convivial evenings. Unfortunately, we had no wine steward for the first half of the cruise (were told he was sick). As we were all wine drinkers who had pre-ordered and expected the wines to be present and ready to be served, this was a problem. Once the waiters and dining room supervisors figured out we really wanted our wine, they did their best to fill in, but it was really hit or miss. Then Dindo the wine steward (our hero) came on board in Rome and provided us with the best service for the rest of the trip.

The dining room menu was extensive, and the food uniformly delicious, with very few complaints by anyone at our table. The Dutch Night menu was highly praised by our Dutch friends. Crepes suzette were my favorite, which was offered 3 times on our 13-day cruise.

We did observe that S suite pax could have breakfast and lunch in the Pinnacle Grill.

We ate in the Pinnacle Grill on the last formal night. While the food was mostly excellent and the service wonderful, somehow we were not that impressed. The dining room food was so good, with such a large variety, that the limited Pinnacle menu seemed tame by comparison. I was also truly disappointed in the beefsteak tomato salad, which consisted of 3 slices of pale under-ripe tomatoes, without the rich flavor I was hoping for.

Activities and Entertainment on Board

Can't complain -- I won at Bingo 4 times and DH won twice. Seriously, the Prinsendam attracts a different and more studious crowd, which apparently is more into seeing the ancient ruins than playing games. We were told that on the last cruise, they had to cancel 9 out of 16 bingo sessions for lack of attendance. We only saw people in the card room once or twice. Trivia and the like had moderate attendance. The Prinsendam is unique in that it has a golf simulator and golf pro on board, along with a very nice golf-oriented lounge area. We met the pro and he gave us some free practice/lesson time -- that's how lonely he was.

Although we didn't go to many of the shows (no jugglers being the reason), we heard comments that they were very good. A flutist and classical pianist were featured, along with comedians, magicians, and just a few production song and dance shows.

We didn't look inside the movie theater to see if we thought it was adequate. We are of the school that doesn't want to waste a couple of hours in a dark room when there is the moon, waves, dolphins or volcanos to gaze at.

Yes, there were children on board. We saw 4 or 5, 2 or 3 of which were babies, all well behaved. No skeetshooting was offered. We observed no vandalism or boorish behavior (other than one evening's appearance in the Oak Room by a "lady" with a vocabulary limited to 4-letter words). There were always empty lounge chairs in sight. The dress code was pretty much observed as far as I could see.

The on-board shops were very small, but it seems they carried nicer merchandise than on most ships. For example, there were lovely hand-beaded purses with playing card or slot machine designs, which were specially made for the ship. No gold-by-the-inch, no $10 shop or similar nonsense. The daily ads for sales or art auctions, which came under the door in reams on other ships, somehow did not appear.

In general, a refined and subdued on-board experience to counteract the exciting and exhausting shoreside schedule. I would love to board the Prinsendam again, just as soon as I lose all this weight I gained . . .

Cactuslady, It sounds like you had a marvalous time. I really enjoyed your review. I am looking forward to seeing all of Vegas Jim's 1100 pictures.

I can't believe they did not have a wine steward in the begining:eek: You would of thought someone could attempted the job, possibly a bar tender that would have a little wine knowledge?

Thanks for posting.

Bingo cancelled?!? Nine out of sixteen times!?! Whatever is this world coming to!

(And where do I sign up?)

Thank you, cactuslady, for a most comprehensive report. It made me want to follow in your wake.

Perhaps you could name the Flagship Forum lecturer? I have always enjoyed those lectures on European and South American cruises.

I'd also appreciate it if you could identify those performers you enjoyed.

Thank you. Oh, and welcome home.

Let's see:

* Bingo cancelled

* No bingo or art auction announcements

* No "inch of gold" sale

Are you sure this was a HAL boat? :rolleyes:

-dave

I didn't say there were no bingo announcements. There were, but only one per day (2 on sea days). Just enough to save the HAL reputation. ;)

Thanks, Cactuslady, for your very pleasant and informative review of Prinsendam and its features. You're right, the Mediterranean ports have been reviewed, and I for one have seen what I wanted to there as well.

Did you visit the library and sign the log? Someone posted that each HAL ship has a Cruise Critics log book so you can see if fellow passengers include any you recognize from online.

We are taking a world cruise on Prinsendam in January and are looking forward to it with great anticipation as all we've heard about the ship makes it sound like a good place to call home for a few months.

Is there anything you wished you had packed for the trip but thought you wouldn't need? Did you mingle with other passengers after dinner other than in the theater? If so, where?

The food is apparently very good - I will take your word for everything that is not on my accepted list, as a few pounds gained is outside my goals. :D Unripe tomatoes are the norm for most restaurants on land as well, but not the end of the world. Unripe bananas would be a worse evil for me.

Were you happy to get back home, or would you like to have stayed longer on board?

Slinkie

Did you visit the library and sign the log? Someone posted that each HAL ship has a Cruise Critics log book so you can see if fellow passengers include any you recognize from online.
I don't beleive it's every ship---just the Zuiderdam.

IIRC one of the Cruise Critic posters took the initiative to place a book in the library on that ship; it was not something HAL did.

Perhaps you'd like to continue this on the Prinsendam? It could be the start of a nice tradition.

Yes it sure would be Ruth!! What a great suggestion.:) Ruth, are you considering a Prinsendam trip soon???

Cactuslady- Thanks for your report! Glad you had a nice cruise, so much history to be seen at every turn in the Meditterrean We are very excited about out Baltic cruise on her next summer, thanks for the report!:cool:

I think it would be a great idea to have a CC members log on all HAL ships, including Prinsendam. Since roll calls attract very few people to some cruises, an on-board signup for future passengers to see would be very nice.

Slinkie

Cactuslady: thanks for your informative report and glad to hear that you and Bruce had an interesting, enjoyable and "profitable" cruise! Thanks too, for the report on the aft cabins!

We are looking forward to joining localady and her DH on the Prinsendam next July-hope they have the new piping and beds installed by then!

Welcome home!

Slinkiecat - OOH! just love that name!- wish I'd thought of it!......but I'm a dog lover!

Your 'around the world cruise' is most definitely on my 'to do list' - the Prinsendam, on which we'll sail in November, sounds like 'my' kind of ship ...........DH is not convinced - we're working on it! :)

Hopefully you will keep us posted on at least a week by week basis. :)

Slinkiecat - OOH! just love that name!- wish I'd thought of it!......but I'm a dog lover!

Your 'around the world cruise' is most definitely on my 'to do list' - the Prinsendam, on which we'll sail in November, sounds like 'my' kind of ship ...........DH is not convinced - we're working on it! :)

Hopefully you will keep us posted on at least a week by week basis. :)

I was a breeder and exhibitor of championship Oriental and Siamese cats, known in the fancy as the "slinkies" because of their slender build and elegance. Even though I gave that up when I became widowed and had to change my lifestyle, the name stuck because I couldn't think of one I liked better.

We are taking along our laptops and intend to put them to good use on sea days to keep in touch with the folks back home, to store digital photos and post them, etc.

Slinkie

Perhaps you could name the Flagship Forum lecturer? I have always enjoyed those lectures on European and South American cruises.

I'd also appreciate it if you could identify those performers you enjoyed.

Thank you. Oh, and welcome home.

Sorry, but my memory is completely inadequate for that, and I didn't save any of the papers that named them. Perhaps 'Vegas Jim knows?

Is there anything you wished you had packed for the trip but thought you wouldn't need? Did you mingle with other passengers after dinner other than in the theater? If so, where?

Were you happy to get back home, or would you like to have stayed longer on board?

Slinkie

No Cruise Critic log in the library, which by the way is small.

I lacked for nothing. I didn't even finish the bittersweet chocolate I always take along. I caught the cold going around the ship, but found sufficient cough drops and Dristan on shore and on board to get by. (Who wants to pack a bunch of "just in case" medicine anyway? Why not be optimistic?) Binoculars would have been nice, but no biggie. Had plenty of clean clothes every day, thanks to the laundry package. We each packed only one regular-size suitcase and one small carry-on for our 16-day trip, and had plenty of room to spare. We are not big souvenier-buyers and didn't mind wearing the same outfit more than once. I couldn't believe the huge piles of luggage some people were wrestling around the airports. They must have contained blenders, chainsaws and who knows what else! :rolleyes:

After dinner, we often retired to the Oak Room for port or cognac and a cigar. The place seemed to inspire many philosophical discussions among its visitors. Perhaps it's the leather armchairs, or the photograph of Queen Beatrix over the fireplace.

I could have stayed on board for a long, long, time. Every cruise I go on, I daydream about signing on as a crew member. Sadly, so far I haven't run into a ship that carries a ship's lawyer. :(

Cabin Accommodations

Our SS Veranda Suite was lovely, much larger than the SS cabins on the S class ships. . . .

Thank you for the comprehensive review.

I am a little confused with HAL’s current stateroom/suite descriptions. Did you think that your Cat SS aka as a Superior Verandah Suite at 342sf was better than a SS on a Vista ship which is 393sf. There is no SS on S class ships. What is the comparison there? I know that square footage does not always seem to make a stateroom roomier.

A more straight forward question. What was the gym like? Was it as well equipped as other HAL ships? On the deck play it does not look very large, but that might not be the case.

Thank you for the comprehensive review.

I am a little confused with HAL’s current stateroom/suite descriptions. Did you think that your Cat SS aka as a Superior Verandah Suite at 342sf was better than a SS on a Vista ship which is 393sf. There is no SS on S class ships. What is the comparison there? I know that square footage does not always seem to make a stateroom roomier.

A more straight forward question. What was the gym like? Was it as well equipped as other HAL ships? On the deck play it does not look very large, but that might not be the case.

Oh, dear, my goof. By SS cabin, I meant the Veranda Suites (used to be called Veranda Mini-Suites) on the S class. In other words, the class just down from the S suite. Looks like they are actually called A, B, BB and BC. The web site says they're 284 square feet. I haven't been on the Vista class so can't compare. Sorry about the confusion.

I walked through the gym to see the aft pool, but didn't really notice it. No one was using it. We got our exercise climbing the Acropolis and such, which was plenty. I think there may be pictures of the gym on the shipcafe web site.

Sorry, but my memory is completely inadequate for that, and I didn't save any of the papers that named them. Perhaps 'Vegas Jim knows?
O.K. :( . Thank you, at least, for replying. Good idea to ask 'Vegas Jim.

I have all my daily programs going back to my first cruise. (Sometimes I look up info to answer a question on CC.) Hoped maybe you did the same.

Ruth, are you considering a Prinsendam trip soon???

Oh! I wish! I would love to sail that ship---in spite of the fact it lacks a Piano Bar. I love the size, and from all descriptions, the ambiance. Maybe someday. Maybe someday. :)

The summer of 2003 was the best chance when she was pulled from Asia and given the 14-day Alaska itinerary. Had I not already been booked for the 33-day trans-Atlantic I would have gone then.

Cactuslady-

Thank you for the wonderful review of your Prinsendam cruise. :)

We are leaving on our Med cruise 11/1/04. I am curious about something, maybe you can help.

I read in a local paper about their being a negative attitude toward American tourists in many parts of Europe and the Mediterrean - more so than usual - and was wondering, did you encounter any difficulties locally while in various ports?

Cactuslady-

I read in a local paper about their being a negative attitude toward American tourists in many parts of Europe and the Mediterrean - more so than usual - and was wondering, did you encounter any difficulties locally while in various ports?

None, although we did not stray too far from the usual tourist path. Everyone we encountered was gracious and welcoming. Did not hear one word about American politics or foreign policy. People seemed more concerned with their own governments and economies. We heard from a few people that they were hassled, screamed at, and so forth by vendors in the Bazaar at Kusadasi, Turkey. I gathered this had more to do with a failure to eagerly buy up the goods offered than anything else.

The only controversial comment was a dumb one I made myself. As we were landing in London on a Sunday, looking down at a quiet city, I made an airheaded remarked that perhaps the locals were all away fox hunting. When we read a local paper later, I was shocked to learn that violence had actually erupted because fox hunting had just been banned. :o I must learn to keep my foot out of my mouth a bit more.

EKERR,

We have been to Europe three times so far this year and found no negativity toward us as citizens.

However, many Europeans we talked to in various countries were very negative about our government - but very friendly to us an individuals.

In Kusadasi, our private guide was very up to date on our involvement in Iraq and very curious about our thoughts and observations.

We have never felt any animosity, although it is quite possible some exisits.

TedC & Cactuslady-

Thanks for the info... I haven't been to Europe since 9/11 and was wondering, especially after the newspaper article I read.

Now that I think of it - the substance of article was geared more to an issue with our government, politics etc., rather than people.

DH plans to let his Mom & her DH know - NO discussions about politics - it is too much a sensitive subject. Of course, we will be in Rome on Election day, but I don't think it will too hard for me to refrain from discussing my personal opinions.

We found no animosity nor felt any "bad vibes" toward us anywhere on the Mediterranean sailing. In fact, some commented how they enjoyed the Americans who visited. (Probably because we bring and spend money!) I did experience one tour driver who I felt expressed his political views toward his own country and its officials too much. He also seemed to have some issues with some foreign ethnic groups, which I thought was inappropriate for him to express to us. But nothing bad about Americans. One driver commented that Americans are smart in that they have quit smoking. As a group we don't smell up his cab like some nationalities do!

Archived