Buying Gold

I am going on a Med cruise - Barcelona, Tunisia, Cairo, Crete, Yalta, and

Athens.

I would like to purchase a man's gold ring; 18 carats or more.

In which of my stops do you think I would get the best value for my dollars, and why? Can anyone recommend a shop?

If the price of pure gold is set by the world market, why is the price different from place to place? :confused:

I've not been to all the ports you list, but I've found the price of gold in Egypt to be more reasonable than most (given that gold is no bargain anywhere these days....) On two separate trips I've bought a lapis and heavy gold ring, and a fairly substantial gold bracelet for much less than I've seen in most European cities.

One reason the price varies is the cost of workmanship. A jeweler in Cairo has an hourly wage much lower than one in Florence, for example, so the finished product costs less. Also depends on how much or how little markup the shop is welling to sell for.

Another good reason to buy in Cairo if you are from the US -- jewelry is duty free.

Athens.

In which of my stops do you think I would get the best value for my dollars, and why? Can anyone recommend a shop?

If the price of pure gold is set by the world market, why is the price different from place to place? :confused:

many greek isles have shops selling gold items. how reliable their prices are can`t say. Italy is considered best for top quality gold but may be expensive.

Athens.

strange cruise Barcelona-Cairo-Yalta:confused:

I wondered about Yalta! Athens may be your best bet, but I have no store recommendations. Gold is a better deal in Greece than in Italy, at least it was a few years back. Not sure if I would feel good about Egypt. We were in mainland Greece, Napflion, and there was gold *everywhere*, and high-caratt stuff, 20 carat was common.

I wondered about Yalta! Athens may be your best bet, but I have no store recommendations. Gold is a better deal in Greece than in Italy, at least it was a few years back. Not sure if I would feel good about Egypt. We were in mainland Greece, Napflion, and there was gold *everywhere*, and high-caratt stuff, 20 carat was common.

If you buy in a reputable store, you will be fine in Egypt. Do NOT buy in the bazaar (unless you have a guide you can trust 100%). There are some areas of the bazaar that our guide took us to that would blow your socks off....not junk but very high quality jewelry....he said the Saudis come and buy the stuff by the bucketful because the Egyptian workmanship is excellent.

The prices in Egypt were much cheaper than Greece. (They are also cheaper in Luxor than in Cairo, FWIW.) The ring I purchased was 22 karat. Had it appraised when I returned to the US and I definitely got a good deal on it.

Thanks for the info...we have a guide through DeCastro for a day tour. I'll let him know what I'm looking for. I've bought jewelry in Greece, but it's the ever escalating Euros that are a problem, now.

Thanks to all for your opinions and suggestions!:)

Archived