How to Spend More Money to Get a Better Cruise?

sail7seas

Are you willing to pay a little more than rock bottom to get a little more? Is price absolutely the 'it' for you?

For those who book Suites, are you starting to flinch at the way the prices have risen? Are you re-thinking the Suite Life?

If they continue to provide all (and more) of what we have come to expect, will you continue to pay a little bit more in order to still have that cruise experience?

Whilst we are prepared to pay more for a better quality cruise (particularly dining), we are just not able to pay for the SA suites that we've had in recent years. We're going on the Eurodam for a 2 week cruise from Quebec to FL in October and the jump from a top category balcony to a Deluxe Veranda Suite is over double the fare. Just not affordable, nor justifyable. It's going to be tough on us, as we've always enjoyed the extra space and particularly loved having breakfast everyday in The Pinnacle. However, the balcony cabins look lovely and I'm sure we'll spend a fare bit of time in the speciality restaurants to compensate the lack of the Neptune lounge.

Have recently had our first balcony cabin for some years on the Independence of the Seas for 4 nights and it was OK.

To be cruising is good in any cabin!

Sue

My answer is a definite yes, within reason. I was quite concerned after 9/11 that by dropping fares to fill ships the cruise lines would end up emulating the airlines--a race to the bottom (no pun intended). Airlines--at least domestically--now compete primarily on price alone, not quality of service, crew and fleets as in decades past.

Time will tell if the current hike in fares is simply to recover increases in costs of fuel and related items, or if the cruise lines are actually listening to some of us and trying to restore some of the amenities that have been lost in recent years.

I would like to say amen to that, but it's the reality of having so many choices that it just won't work anymore. What can be considered nickel-and-diming can also be considered cruising a la carte. Someone may be willing to pay an extra 4 dollars a day for a specialty coffee in the morning, while the next person would rather spend 29 dollars for a single cooking class. They are both spending a comparable amount of additional money on that week-long cruise, but are getting different amenities. Does the coffee drinker want to pay nearly 60 dollars to get his coffee included in the cruise, but also subsidize a cooking class he's not interested in? And does the cook want to do the same, when she's happy drinking tea in the dining room and forgoing the specialty latte? We all want what WE want, but don't want to help the other person get what THEY want. Sigh.

I prefer to pay for what I want and let others do the same - not a fan of all-inclusive myself!

Remember when air fares became available to almost anyone? But, u might be too young to remember :)

Thats fading very fast & returning to the time when only the wealthy cld afford to fly..

As has been so well stated in previous posts - for me anyway - it may be a different now perhaps but still great & YES I shall pay more as time goes on - I can't take it with me :) !!

Enjoy happy cruisin' all!

......Twenty years ago. Many things thoughout our society, indeed the world, were very different twenty years ago.

Used to be a chestnut color :)

Likely won't be here myself but I wonder what it will all be like in another 20 yrs from now?

Sobering thought but likely what is available today will be lamented as luxury 20 yrs hence

hmmm? :(

Enjoy happy cruising all!

That's fading very fast & returning to the time when only the wealthy cld afford to fly..

I don't know where you are getting that idea. I just booked three separate trips ... one from Philly to LAX, another four days later from LAX to Vancouver, and yet a third from San Diego to Philly ... all for about $550.00. Where does that say rich?

I remember when I paid close to $400 just to fly to Orlando and back. Of course, I had more legroom in that seat, and also had the opportunity to enjoy a smoke in flight ... so you can imagine how long ago that was.

I think the airlines are truly the epitome of a commodity anyone can afford. And you see that anytime you watch the people queuing up at the gate to board their flight. You'll see families, you'll see teens who are obviously traveling on a shoestring since they are wearing jeans with holes all over them (yes, one I could actually see the pattern on his underwear).

But cruising at least hasn't gotten that bad yet, and I don't think it ever will. Cruising is more an experience than transportation alone. So while people may only be willing to pay the bare minimum for an airplane seat, they won't want a cruise that doesn't offer at least some ammenities.

Of course, I hate to say it ... but this price cutting and fare wars in the airline industry will continue ... up until the day that a planeload of innocent people goes down, and it turns out that the crash was totally avoidable and was only the result of cost-cutting in the area of maintenance expenses -- because don't think for one minute that the airlines' profits can be squeezed so tightly and they are not gonna have to respond by cutting something. It just is not realistic to believe that. So once that tragedy occurs, then the government will step in and the airlines will once again, at least to some extent, be regulated ... say by imposing minimum prices per 100 miles flown ... or some such strategy.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='kryos']I don't know where you are getting that idea. I just booked three separate trips ... one from Philly to LAX, another four days later from LAX to Vancouver, and yet a third from San Diego to Philly ... all for about $550.00. Where does that say rich?

Blue skies ...--rita[/quote]

The more affordable any commodity becomes, the greater the cost is when expressed as a percentage of the consumer's current or future discretionary income.

[quote name='hammybee']The more affordable any commodity becomes, the greater the cost is when expressed as a percentage of the consumer's current or future discretionary income.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Wow man! That's deep!;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Williebill'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Things were different aboard HAL prior to Carnival taking them over!![/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

I apologize for being off topic but...

Hey Williebill,

We are leaving Georgia Saturday for a 15-day Rotterdam European Capitals cruise on May 26--our first since the Westerdam Alaska journey with you. I hope you guys are doing well.

Gary

I too would be willing to pay more if they increased the level of service in some areas, increased or at least stopped cutting back on the food costs, and finally if they spent more to improve the smaltzy entertainment.

hammybee: Please, we beg you on bended knee; we feel the oracle has spoken: "The more affordable any commodity becomes, the greater the cost is when expressed as a percentage of the consumer's current or future discretionary income," but we have no idea what she's trying to tell us. Maybe we're missing a wonderful investment opportunity or even the answer to our philosophical questions about the meaning of life.

[quote name='kryos']I don't know where you are getting that idea. I just booked three separate trips ... one from Philly to LAX, another four days later from LAX to Vancouver, and yet a third from San Diego to Philly ... all for about $550.00. Where does that say rich?

I remember when I paid close to $400 just to fly to Orlando and back. Of course, I had more legroom in that seat, and also had the opportunity to enjoy a smoke in flight ... so you can imagine how long ago that was.

I think the airlines are truly the epitome of a commodity anyone can afford. And you see that anytime you watch the people queuing up at the gate to board their flight. You'll see families, you'll see teens who are obviously traveling on a shoestring since they are wearing jeans with holes all over them (yes, one I could actually see the pattern on his underwear).

But cruising at least hasn't gotten that bad yet, and I don't think it ever will. Cruising is more an experience than transportation alone. So while people may only be willing to pay the bare minimum for an airplane seat, they won't want a cruise that doesn't offer at least some ammenities.

Of course, I hate to say it ... but this price cutting and fare wars in the airline industry will continue ... up until the day that a planeload of innocent people goes down, and it turns out that the crash was totally avoidable and was only the result of cost-cutting in the area of maintenance expenses -- because don't think for one minute that the airlines' profits can be squeezed so tightly and they are not gonna have to respond by cutting something. It just is not realistic to believe that. So once that tragedy occurs, then the government will step in and the airlines will once again, at least to some extent, be regulated ... say by imposing minimum prices per 100 miles flown ... or some such strategy.

Blue skies ...

--rita[/QUOTE]

Patience - I didn't mean tomorrow or even in 5 yrs - lets wait & see shall we!

As usual, interesting observations!

Have happy cruisin'!

Okay, here's a question ...

If the cruise lines brought the price of cruising down to the point where it was actually lower than it is now, but then charged for a variety of "customized" packages ... in other words, you pay for those items important to you, but receive very little for your actual base cruise fare ... would you prefer that?

For example, let's say the only dining that was included for "general" accommodations (anything other than the higher end suites) was "anytime-style" dining and the Lido. You received no assigned spot in the "elegant" dining room, but only had access to a lesser quality dining room where it was strictly first come, first served ... no reservations taken. You could also, of course, avail yourself of the Lido as well. But for those willing to either take a top level suite ... or those willing to pay a premium on top of their cruise fare, they would receive an assigned seat in the "elegant" dining room, where they could take all three of their meals if they so desired.

Let's take it a step further. We talk about chair hogs? Well, let's say that the cruise line charged a fee for a deck chair for the duration of your cruise. So, you could choose to rent a chair say for about $25 for a seven-day cruise. For that price, the chair would have your name on it and no one else could sit there. Then, of course, if you wanted better, you could rent a cabana and get a reserved spot with prime pool access and sea views for the entire family.

Those not choosing to pay anything extra would simply have no chair whatsoever ... anywhere even remotely near the pool. Of course, there would probably be some free loungers up a couple of decks, out of sight of the main or aft pool.

What I'm suggesting here is a bare bones cruise ... perhaps almost as bare bones as EasyCruise, but where you pay additional to add on those things important to you. If you choose not to pay additional, fine ... but you will only get the very basic cruise experience ... far less than what you get today.

Whadda you think? Would you prefer paying less, and then adding just those items that are truly important to you?

Blue skies ...

--rita

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]No, that type of cruise is not for me. So far I have been happy for the priceI have paid for my (our) cruises. Up to this point I feel I have received good value for $$$ spent. Personally, I abhor even the idea of upcharges for basic items such as you suggest. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Any families would probably move to another line, my DD has 4 small children and paying additional $$ for everything would mean they would probably never get to cruise.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I can understand that things have to change for cruise lines to stay in business, its not just fuel that has gone thru the roof, but rice and flour have also skyrocketed. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Maybe I'm easy to please, (in no way implying you and others are not)and if so I am grateful for that. We just go with the flow, and since we get to spend very little time together, that is what is most important to us. YMMV[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='kryos']Okay, here's a question ...

If the cruise lines brought the price of cruising down to the point where it was actually lower than it is now, but then charged for a variety of "customized" packages ... in other words, you pay for those items important to you, but receive very little for your actual base cruise fare ... would you prefer that?.................................[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Very interesting concept! I had a conversation once with a HAL hotel manager who talked about a very similar idea that could happen in the future. Included in that, besides dining (already being done with the PG and expanding on the signature class), were entertainment choices i.e. you would pay for certain entertainment acts. If you really look at this closely, it's exacty what some of us are already doing with our entertainment off the ship i.e. in the way of shore excursions, the signature collection touring program is one. We'll see what happens![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Very interesting concept! I had a conversation once with a HAL hotel manager who talked about a very similar idea that could happen in the future.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
This is the concept I've heard bandied about with regard to the new builds ... bigger and bigger ships ... up to and including the Genesis class. You will sail with thousands of other people, but will have your own customized cruising experience. Several of the cruise lines, from what I understand, have such customization options on the drawing board even today.

As you so accurately point out, we already do this sort of thing with specialty restaurant dining and with shore excursions. We pay extra to have a premium experience. Why not take it a step further? After all, why should I have to pay for things that don't matter a crap to me, while you pay for things that are not important to you? For example, I'm sure some of my cruise fare goes for dining. Okay, what if the cruise line told me that I could reduce the cost of my cruise by say $250 for a two-week cruise by simply not having a spot in the traditional dining room. I could be in the "bare bones" walk-in restaurant (think NCL) where I could take any one of my meals at a significant reduction of my cruise fare. Only problem is that those restuarants would be the ones with the long lines (since they don't take reservations), and they would be the ones with lesser quality food choices. Well, maybe food is not that important to me and frankly, the Lido would work fine in my case. I could save the money, leave the formal clothes at home, and just dine in the Lido everynight.

Now, while dining is not important to me, maybe onboard "edutainment" is. I want to take part in special onboard educational programs while on my cruise and it just so happens there are some excellent choices being offered on my sailing (think Cunard's Enrichment programs). For example, there may be a series of lectures being offered on sea days on several topics, one being photography for example. The lectures are free to anyone onboard who may want to attend, but for those who purchase the "photography enrichment package," they get priority seating in the front rows for those lectures, plus a series of maybe three or four smaller, hands-on classes. They may also get a couple of shore excursions where a professional photographer accompanies the small group and helps them to take some great pictures. The cost for this "enrichment" program? Oh, merely $500 ... but don't forget, that includes two shore excursions as well. Well, for me that $500 might be worth it. To you, it wouldn't be. You'd rather enjoy fine dining. So, you spend your money on the "fine dining package," while I make do in the walk-in restaurant and the Lido, and I'll blow my $500 on edutainment.

Bottom line is that we both get a great cruise experience, because it is customized to our own personal preferences, and HAL (or whatever cruise line this happens to be) makes more money with the options than they would have off of the basic cruise experience offered previously. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='Sprocket'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Any families would probably move to another line, my DD has 4 small children and paying additional $$ for everything would mean they would probably never get to cruise.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
No, I actually think something like this might come out cheaper for a family. You wouldn't pay extra for "everything," only for some options ... like "fine dining." A family with four young kids is not likely to want fine dining to begin with. The Lido may be where they would dine most nights anyway, so why should they pay for a higher quality of dining that they can't take advantage of anyway.

It would seem to me that your DD would actually benefit from something like this, and could probably cruise even more than she does today.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='kryos']Okay, here's a question ...

If the cruise lines brought the price of cruising down to the point where it was actually lower than it is now, but then charged for a variety of "customized" packages ... in other words, you pay for those items important to you, but receive very little for your actual base cruise fare ... would you prefer that? Blue skies ...--rita[/quote]

This whole concept pretty much sums up the history of HAL, before the class system was abandoned.

Steerage (with clothes lines for DIY laundry)
Tourist Class
First Class

Paying for a deck chair is nothing new. Most cruise lines, including HAL used to do this.

[quote name='hammybee']This whole concept pretty much sums up the history of HAL, before the class system was abandoned.

Steerage (with clothes lines for DIY laundry)
Tourist Class
First Class

Paying for a deck chair is nothing new. Most cruise lines, including HAL used to do this.[/QUOTE]
And they are planning to do it again with the Eurodam ... only it is entire cabanas they are renting.

Personally, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see cruise lines go back to the class system in some respects ... somewhat along the lines that Cunard does it today. You want to eat in one of the Grill restaurants, then you have to book a stateroom in that class. Otherwise, you eat with the masses.

I honestly don't know how I feel about the possible return of the class system. I don't like it on the surface, but in reality haven't we been moving in this direction for quite some time?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am actually very happy with things as they are at present. Except for possibly charging for some classes and entertainment I am not sure what else they could add. At present we personally pay on cruises for a speciality coffee most mornings if at sea, the occasional class - art and craft (though actually HAL is unusual in that it did not charge for this on our South America cruise, and perhaps a meal during the cruise as a treat in the speciality restaurant. Of course there is also a lowish drinks bill. This we are quite happy with.

One or two things that have been said/suggested interest me. Why would they charge for traditional dining. It is exactly the same as open dining, same staff, food etc. It certainly does not cost more so no saving to HAL.

The other thing that interested me was two or three references to deckchairs. We have probably come full circle here. I am just transcribing - with difficulty - my great, great grandfather's diary of their world cruise in 1890. Of course it was not really a world cruise - they travelled on passenger ships to Australia, then travelled round Australia, another passenger ship to New Zealand and train travel round New Zealand, a third passenger ship to America and travel around, and then a fourth ship back. The first leg of the journey to Australia was on the Orient Lines Ormuz. They travelled first class - and indeed in one of the better cabins because it had a porthole but they had bunk beds and the bathroom was up the corridor. No air conditioning of course, but they were allowed to open the porthole once in the Suez Canal!! An interesting thing though was when they arrived in Tilbury to start the journey they had to go to a recommended shop and buy two deckchairs which were delivered on board to the care of their steward.

We have certainly come a long way since then. The line put on the occasional dance for an hour or so after dinner, but entertainment was generally first class passengers putting on a concert for second class passengers and vice versa, and cricket matches - officers v first class, officers v second class and first class v second class - and oh yes they had a sports day lasting two days. They certainly lived it up!! No lido and very set meal times. If you were a bit late back on board as they were in Naples you missed dinner. Much negotiation resulted in a plate of cold meat so they were lucky. There was a Sunday Service each week - Church of England in the First Class Drawing Room, Nonconformists in the Second Class Saloon and the Roman Catholics in the Smoking Room on deck. I guess this pecking order was because most of the Steerage passengers at that time would be Roman Catholic.

I think HAL has it right for the majority of passengers, and of course in these days of bottom lines it will be the majority view that will count.

[B]My sense is it might be we are moving toward totally a la carte cruising.
We would pay upfront only for your cabin and then fully pay as we go for everything you do and eat aboard.
If you want a hamburger, buy it. Dinner....menu prices like in any restaurant. Use the gym, there's a fee.

That is when many will stop cruising.
But the 'newbies' may think it fine and many will start cruising.
We are all replaceable and our threats to stop cruising if the changes become too drastic are probably not all that threatening. If DH and I don't book our Maasdam Suite for our annual summer Canada/New England cruise, someone else will.

JMHO.......[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]My sense is it might be we are moving toward totally a la carte cruising.
We would pay upfront only for your cabin and then fully pay as we go for everything you do and eat aboard.
If you want a hamburger, buy it. Dinner....menu prices like in any restaurant. Use the gym, there's a fee.
[/QUOTE]
Interesting. I think what you are describing there is easyCruise. I might be wrong, but I think you even pay for cabin service on their ships ... i.e., change of bed linens and towels, etc. Meals you pay for as well.

You might be right in that we are headed toward this, but I sure hope you're wrong. I have no problem with a la carte cruising ... when it comes to the "extras" ... special meals, special activities, etc. ... but not the very basics. I wouldn't be cruising any longer then either. Cruising would just no longer be my thing. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='mancunian']I am actually very happy with things as they are at present. Except for possibly charging for some classes and entertainment I am not sure what else they could add. At present we personally pay on cruises for a speciality coffee most mornings if at sea, the occasional class - art and craft (though actually HAL is unusual in that it did not charge for this on our South America cruise, and perhaps a meal during the cruise as a treat in the speciality restaurant. Of course there is also a lowish drinks bill. This we are quite happy with.

One or two things that have been said/suggested interest me. Why would they charge for traditional dining. It is exactly the same as open dining, same staff, food etc. It certainly does not cost more so no saving to HAL.

The other thing that interested me was two or three references to deckchairs. We have probably come full circle here. I am just transcribing - with difficulty - my great, great grandfather's diary of their world cruise in 1890. Of course it was not really a world cruise - they travelled on passenger ships to Australia, then travelled round Australia, another passenger ship to New Zealand and train travel round New Zealand, a third passenger ship to America and travel around, and then a fourth ship back. The first leg of the journey to Australia was on the Orient Lines Ormuz. They travelled first class - and indeed in one of the better cabins because it had a porthole but they had bunk beds and the bathroom was up the corridor. No air conditioning of course, but they were allowed to open the porthole once in the Suez Canal!! An interesting thing though was when they arrived in Tilbury to start the journey they had to go to a recommended shop and buy two deckchairs which were delivered on board to the care of their steward.

We have certainly come a long way since then. The line put on the occasional dance for an hour or so after dinner, but entertainment was generally first class passengers putting on a concert for second class passengers and vice versa, and cricket matches - officers v first class, officers v second class and first class v second class - and oh yes they had a sports day lasting two days. They certainly lived it up!! No lido and very set meal times. If you were a bit late back on board as they were in Naples you missed dinner. Much negotiation resulted in a plate of cold meat so they were lucky. There was a Sunday Service each week - Church of England in the First Class Drawing Room, Nonconformists in the Second Class Saloon and the Roman Catholics in the Smoking Room on deck. I guess this pecking order was because most of the Steerage passengers at that time would be Roman Catholic.

I think HAL has it right for the majority of passengers, and of course in these days of bottom lines it will be the majority view that will count.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for posting...reminds me of the stories I was told by my grandparents regarding their travels..One small omission but perhaps your relatives didn't do it - the gentlemen used to play cards a lot (according to my grandmother) :)

As per set meal times yes but usually lasting 3+ hrs & everyone dressed for dinner!!
Many more courses than we get and exceptional food & wine w/ each course, wld easily out-do the specialty restaurants of today and the service was impeccable.

As far as recreation during sea days went, lots of shuffleboard, badminton, etc and my grandparents loved to read so spent a lot of time just reading & watching the ocean on their deck chairs & yes they owned them - no chair hogs' in those days.. :)

No glitz & glitter or bell ringing like the ships have today with the casinos - it really was a relaxing, refined holiday..for 1st (upper class) & 2nd (middle) class pax. Steerage weren't on holiday, they were just going from one place to another..

Personal activities took up a lot of my grandmothers time - She spent a lot of time with her secretary/maid getting her hair 'dressed', going thru the bathing routine - quite elaborate from what she told me & having her assistance to dress (they changed clothes sometimes 3 or 4 times daily especially in hot climates) plus doing her correspondence & discussing clothes, shoes & jewellery for each evening & daytime. Whew - sounds exhausting...!

Times sure have changed and as much as I also like things as they are now - nothing stays stagnant so I suspect we are seeing the beginning of a 'full circle' in cruisin'.
Time will tell!

Have happy cruisin' all!

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]My sense is it might be we are moving toward totally a la carte cruising.

That is when many will stop cruising.
But the 'newbies' may think it fine and many will start cruising.
We are all replaceable and our threats to stop cruising if the changes become too drastic are probably not all that threatening. If DH and I don't book our Maasdam Suite for our annual summer Canada/New England cruise, someone else will.

JMHO.......[/B][/QUOTE]

I sure hope not because I would surely stop cruising. If they went in this direction, there wouldn't be much difference between cruising and a land based vacation. The attraction of cruising to me is not having to worry about what to pay for my basic food and entertainment needs. Specialty restaurants etc.. are enough "ala carte" for me.

I think that there should be premium cruise line slotted between the mass market budget lines (Like it or not HAL is one of them) and the Luxury lines like Crystal and Seabourn. I personally would pay 3 or 4 hundred more if the food and service were comparable to the specialty restaurants and we didn't have to pay for soda's, ice cream and decent coffee. To me, the cruise experience is more important than the actual ports and that is why I would be willing to pay more for a better experience. For people that find ports to be more important, the mass market cruiselines with more variety of port destinations (bigger and more ships) would be more attractive. I can't see why someone with some deep pockets couldn't purchase a few of the older ships from the mass market lines (i.e. something like the Dawn Princess) and operate them in the caribbean and alaska. Judging by some of the posts on here, there must be some kind of demand for this.

[quote name='fisherguy']I think that there should be premium cruise line slotted between the mass market budget lines (Like it or not HAL is one of them) and the Luxury lines like Crystal and Seabourn. I personally would pay 3 or 4 hundred more if the food and service were comparable to the specialty restaurants and we didn't have to pay for soda's, ice cream and decent coffee.[/QUOTE]
It's funny, but I actually look at HAL as being two distinctly different cruise lines. HAL is clearly not mass market in that they do some really exotic voyages that you won't find on the mass market lines like Carnival and RCI. But yet, HAL does plenty of run-of-the-mill voyages as well ... seven dayers to the Caribbean and Alaska, ten to 12-dayers in Europe, etc. That part of HAL is no more "premium" as far as I am concerned than is Carnival or RCI.

As for a cruise line slotted between mass market and luxury ... what about Disney? In some respects I think they meet all of the requirements you list ... soda included, decent coffee, free ice cream, etc.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived