Female Informal vs Casual dining wear question

Julietcf14

There are a lot of posts about men's dress for these nights but not much for woman. I am confused as to the difference between casual and informal nights for woman. I already have my 3 formal dresses (they are all pretty nice cocktail dresses which I think I can get away with; let me know if I am mistaken). I also know you can't wear jeans. So what sets apart the informal and casual nights? The descriptions sound so similar to me, and I am worried I do not have enough dress clothes. Examples would be awesome! Thank you!

There are a lot of posts about men's dress for these nights but not much for woman. I am confused as to the difference between casual and informal nights for woman. I already have my 3 formal dresses (they are all pretty nice cocktail dresses which I think I can get away with; let me know if I am mistaken). I also know you can't wear jeans. So what sets apart the informal and casual nights? The descriptions sound so similar to me, and I am worried I do not have enough dress clothes. Examples would be awesome! Thank you!

Hi Juliet :)

In my opinion, there is a lot of overlap on what can be worn on informal and casual nights. For our upcoming cruise, I am packing three long skirts with nice tops for the informal nights, but I might wear one of them on a casual night with a different type of top, as well.

The main difference is that there are a few things that are acceptable for casual night, such as capri pants, that don't comply with the dress code for informal night.

I think of "Informal" as "Semi-Formal". Not a long gown, but either dressy silk or linen pant outfits or a dress. Casual to me is are knits, dressy cottons or linens. I tend to blur the Informal and Casual...leaning more towards Informal all of the time. But that's just my usual mode of dressing.

For informal I tend to wear cocktail dresses or evening pants with a dressy top. Informal is far dressier than casual.

On casual nights I'll wear a sundress, a skirt and casual top, or even capris. To save on packing space, I'll wear those same clothes ashore on a subsequent day.

Informal: dressy pants or skirt and dressy top

Casual: Nice pants or skirt and nice top

That's just what I'm personally comfortable with. I grew up when there was a difference between Sunday school clothes and school clothes and between school clothes and play clothes. So for me, that would be Sunday school clothes on informal nights, school clothes on casual nights and play clothes during the day.

I think it depends fairly heavily on what line you're cruising with.
I think Celebrity is the only line (left) that has formal, informal and casual.

Do most people buy special clothes for a cruise or bring what they have in their existing wardrobe?
I don't have any formal and very few dressy occasions in real life, so all my formal wear and most of my informal wear is purchased specifically for cruising. That's why I also enjoy the formal and informal nights. I'd be sad to see them go.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I still fear that I will be underdressed on informal nights. I do not have many dressy outfits since I have been in school, and out of the work force, for quite a while. It seems as though I need to go shopping!

as I am leaving ofr NC Monday and leabving o nthe Solstice shortly after coming back to FL I have been trying my Solstice clothes. I have 2 or 3 long formals and oen short for 2 weeks. alos i am taking cocktail clothes for most other nights. for causal i am wearing sundresses in Jan. i am always warm.

I too wear long gowns for formal nights and cocktail dresses or dressy dresses for informal. For casual nights I wear skirts or slacks and sweater sets or sun dresses.

I do not have "cruise" clothes - I just pick from regular wardrobe.

from Merriam-Webster:informal

One entry found.

informal

Main Entry: in·for·mal

Pronunciation: \(ˌ)in-ˈfȯr-məl\

Function: adjective

Date: 1585

1 : marked by the absence of formality or ceremony <an informal meeting>

2 : characteristic of or appropriate to ordinary, casual, or familiar use <informal clothes>

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I still fear that I will be underdressed on informal nights. I do not have many dressy outfits since I have been in school, and out of the work force, for quite a while. It seems as though I need to go shopping!

Don't worry! Sky Sweet just started a poll of what kind of clothes people wear on informal nights and the winner is nice pants and a fancy top. More ladies preferred this type of clothing over all others. You will not be underdressed.:D

Don't worry! Sky Sweet just started a poll of what kind of clothes people wear on informal nights and the winner is nice pants and a fancy top. More ladies preferred this type of clothing over all others. You will not be underdressed.:D

Hi crazybus :)

I was about to post very similar comments :)

In realty, there is a wide range of acceptable options for informal nights so each passenger should decide what is best for them.

In realty, there is a wide range of acceptable options for informal nights so each passenger should decide what is best for them.

I'm leaving next month for a Mediterranean cruise on the Summit. If I were at home, I'd wear a long gown or skirt for a formal event, and a cocktail dress to a semi-formal event. But on this cruise, I'll be 6,000 miles from home, living out of one suitcase for two weeks, and using a teeny bathroom to get ready for dinner by 6:15 pm, often after spending the entire day on some 9 hour shore excursion.

DH has it easy, because he will rent a tux for formal nights and pack a sport coat and tie for informal nights. Plus he doesn't worry about getting our 7 and 11 year old DD's ready for dinner. For me, I'm going to try to keep this simple. For formal nights, I'll take my little black dress and another cocktail dress. My girls will wear their fanciest "holiday" type dresses. For informal nights, I'll probably wear a dress that I would wear to church or one of my nicest pants/top outfits, and the girls will wear nice everyday dresses.

To me, the biggest challenge is not packing too many pairs of shoes.:)

--Junglejane

In previous years, I understood "informal" to be (as others have mentioned above) a cocktail or dressy dress, and "formal" to be a long gown. It seems to me, however, that what people are actually wearing has shifted more towards the casual end - I see more cocktail dresses on formal nights, and nice dresses (not cocktail) or slacks w/ blouses for informal.

And Celebrity isn't helping any - here's how they describe the dress codes on the Solstice class ships on their brochure:

Casual

Men: Sports shirt and slacks

Women: Dress, pantsuit or sporty outfit

Informal

Men: Jacket and slacks

Women: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Formal Wear

Men: Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit, tie

Women: A dressy outfit, formal gown or cocktail dress

So as you can see, they list an "informal" dress for "informal" night. To most people, an informal dress would include a sun dress (in the warmer climes of course), and not include a cocktail dress.

Based on this, while I still plan on shooting for the stars on formal night, I'll be wearing less-dressy clothes on informal night - clothes that I can also wear in some ports, and can dress up a bit for dinner (e.g. with a pretty beaded sweater, some jewelry, heels instead of flats, etc.).

By the way, Regent Seven Seas still has informal nights...although here's how they describe their dress code:

Shipboard attire ranges from Country Club casual to informal to formal. Country Club casual (resort-style attire) is appropriate for daytime on board or ashore. Shorts are not appropriate after 6 p.m. in any of the public rooms or lounges. Guests are asked not to wear bathing suits in the restaurants and lounges at any time. Evening attire can be Country Club casual, informal (sport coat and tie recommended), or formal (black tie optional). Evening dress codes begins at 6 p.m.

Doncha love how they don't even MENTION the women? :rolleyes:

Archived