Golden Princess Reposition - 5/3 to 5/9

bdjam

Thanks for the great review, bdjam. As you said, a few glitches like you had should not diminish the overall quality and enjoyment of your cruise. Attitude is everything.:D

As quoted by Quickcanuck:

We returned last week from the 16 day transatlantic on the Emerald. What a surprise on the very first day when waitstaff came right away as we sat down to ask us what we would like to drink. Every other time after that, ( the rest of the 16 days ) waitstaff would be waiting either at the exit of Horizon Court or see you coming with your plate and offered to take your plate and seat you and then get your drinks. Since we had not sailed Princess since last May, I asked the head waiter in Cafe Caribe if this was a new practice on Princess or just on the Emerald. He told me that they were testing this on the Emerald (and perhaps other ships ) and if it was well received, would become a fleetwide practice. The waitstaff in Cafe Caribe were all excellent and very friendly. They always stopped to talk and returned to see if further drinks etc were needed. You could not have had a more attentive staff as those on the Emerald. Perhaps if you try Princess again, you may experience this on your cruise as I'm sure it will be fleetwide soon. How could this practice not have been received with acolades and positive feedback? We certainly gave it many good reviews. ( Cards were available at each table for comments and feedback.)

We were on the Sun crossing to Australia and I had to laugh in the buffet one lunch time, an older lady asked a waitstaff lady to help her and take her platter she had just filled to her table as she was batteling to walk and her husband had his platter and drink. She took the platter with a huge smile and very happily dumped it in the garbage while they sood and looked on. The husband was mad and the lady had to go manouver thru that buffet line again. The waitstaff lady mis-understood apparently:D

I'm sure this service will go over well and certainly a lot of passengers will appreciate the help.:D

Give it another try - I've found no hard sell on the last few cruises I've been on and others have reported the same. Then again, there are still stories of the hard sell going on...so it might just be hit and miss...but I definitely think it worth a shot...

And it's interesting that both our first cruises were on Starward :o

Do you think they tend to give women the hard sell more than the men??

Do you think they tend to give women the hard sell more than the men??
Good question - I haven't paid attention to really know. I do use some of their products and its sometimes part of our discussion about the treatment - so that might make a difference as well. Because I purchase online, I was given a 10% discount card for product after my first massage this week... :confused:

Good point... that would make an interesting poll! I've considered telling them that the tip will relate directly to the level of 'sell'... but instead have just opted not to partake. I don't want to hijack this thread, though... so I'll leave it at that as far as Steiner Spas go.

bdjam... I do miss Starward era ships... she's why I fell in love with cruising! Ahhh... the 'old' NCL!

My husband and I were on this cruise as well. We did the b2b with the MR as the first leg. The coastal was by far the better of the 2 cruises.

I do have to say that I found a slight decline in service in the anytime dining rooms. One night we sat a half hour before we were even handed a menu. We had been on the Star 2 weeks before and the service was excellent.

The only other "complaint" I had was that we did not get extra time in Victoria. I had never been there and I would have liked to see the town a bit more after our tour. I guess I just have to go back there.

Arriving and departing San Francisco was my highlight. I had not been there in 30 years and seeing the city from the Sun Deck sent chills up my back. It was so beautiful.

I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat. We had a great itinerary, beautiful weather, met wonderful people and had a great time.

Shelly

My husband and I were on this cruise as well. We did the b2b with the MR as the first leg. The coastal was by far the better of the 2 cruises.
There were three couples at my table in the Canaletto dining room and all had done the Mexican Riviera the first week (two couples were traveling together). Ironically they were all from Victoria and left the ship when we arrived there (they had special permission to do so). They enjoyed the Mexican part of the trip as they had not been there before, but also enjoyed the coastal part. Hindsight is 20/20 – if I had it to do again, I would have done the back to back. Six days was just too short.

Victoria – even if there aren’t hold-ups – always seems to be a short stay. I think it has something to do with the day and a half it takes to get there? I agree it would be great to have a longer stay there.

Sorry to hear about the Anytime Dining room – as I say, friends who dined there at 8:00 felt the service excellent. They did have the same table every night but kept commenting on how well they were taken care of.

bdjam... I do miss Starward era ships... she's why I fell in love with cruising! Ahhh... the 'old' NCL!
You betcha - Starward had a magic to her - maybe because she was my first - but even the little portholes we had in our tiny cabin were great!
When we did that route, there must have been 50 plus people from Victoria who left the ship in Victoria (as opposed to Vancouver).
From what I understand, the fare for a ferry from Vancouver to Victoria is some astronomical amount and so it made financial sense for them to leave the ship in Victoria. Not to mention logistical sense. But it was odd saying goodbye to people on the second to last night...had to have two last nights (and one is bad enough).

There were three couples at my table in the Canaletto dining room and all had done the Mexican Riviera the first week (two couples were traveling together). Ironically they were all from Victoria and left the ship when we arrived there (they had special permission to do so). They enjoyed the Mexican part of the trip as they had not been there before, but also enjoyed the coastal part. Hindsight is 20/20 – if I had it to do again, I would have done the back to back. Six days was just too short.

Victoria – even if there aren’t hold-ups – always seems to be a short stay. I think it has something to do with the day and a half it takes to get there? I agree it would be great to have a longer stay there.

Sorry to hear about the Anytime Dining room – as I say, friends who dined there at 8:00 felt the service excellent. They did have the same table every night but kept commenting on how well they were taken care of.

We met people getting off in Victoria as well. They were also on the cruise before. We did enjoy the first cruise but the second part was why we booked. The itinerary was incredible.

I wasn't upset about anytime dining. I really do prefer it. It's just that I had heard reports about the service being less than perfect and I felt it was. We have had some very good service in the past with anytime dining. I just chalked this one up to the luck of the draw. I'm sure we will have a better experience on our next cruise.

I wasn't upset about anytime dining. I really do prefer it. It's just that I had heard reports about the service being less than perfect and I felt it was. We have had some very good service in the past with anytime dining. I just chalked this one up to the luck of the draw. I'm sure we will have a better experience on our next cruise.
I think anytime dining is like any land-based restaurants. Even in the best places, sometimes the service isn't the best...case in point the restaurant I took my mother to for Mother's Day. Traditional seating gives the waitstaff some structure - which would seem to let them relax a bit - so that they can provide a better level of service. I'm sure when my friends went, the dining room was out of it's peak time and was probably more relaxed as well.

It used to be that the wait staff was rotated through anytime and traditional dining rooms. Hopefully that helps to spread the excellence out over different experiences - I would think the team that I had this last week would be excellent anywhere.

We were also on this cruise and had a great time. We had our bags in our cabin in record time. We boarded at just about noon and went straight to our cabin. Just as we set down our carryons there was a knock at the door and there were our bags!! We had been on the Golden in February and most of the shows were the same this cruise. I felt the food in the buffet was better this cruise and I am assuming that it must be due to the new chef.

The service in any time dining was not as good as in the past. There just doesn't seem to be the incentive for the wait staff to go the extra mile, but that doesn't mean the service was bad at all. We had an excellent cabin stewardess. I don't think I ever saw her without a smile on her face. She didn't even want to take the additional tips I gave her.

We were traveling with friends who had never been on Princess before and they were pleased with the ship. The delay out of San Francisco was unfortunate and the shortened time in Victoria was disappointing. Luckily, we have been there before.

All in all another great cruise.

Brian,

As always, it was a pleasure to read your intelligent, poignant, well-written review. Thanks for taking the time to share your most recent cruise experience.

Regarding the steaks in Desert Rose: Unless the animal got up and walked off my plate, I doubt that I'd find a steak too rare :D

Chris

We were on the cruise as well and I submitted a review last evening. We had a great time, the itinerary was good, the ship was in great shape, our cabin, matress and carpet was good, the food and service was excellent. The San Francisco incident was unfortunate but remember the late arrival in Victoria was also a result of the gale force winds that we took right on the nose for most of Wednesday. This wasn't the first time nor the last time a ship was late.

All in all we that the cruise was great and a terrific value.

Brian,

As always, it was a pleasure to read your intelligent, poignant, well-written review. Thanks for taking the time to share your most recent cruise experience.

Regarding the steaks in Desert Rose: Unless the animal got up and walked off my plate, I doubt that I'd find a steak too rare :D

Chris

Well thank you, my friend. I think you would have enjoyed Desert Rose with the rare steaks :) Scratch to Rhett...

I was going to email you Brian and see if you enjoyed your cruise, but I guess I have my answer.:D Sounds like you had a great time. It's too bad about the delays, but we all know that it happens sometimes.:rolleyes: We are so looking forward to our cruise in January. Maybe we can smuggle you in our suitcase.;) Take care, D. and B.

[quote name='partybarbie']I was going to email you Brian and see if you enjoyed your cruise, but I guess I have my answer.:D Sounds like you had a great time. It's too bad about the delays, but we all know that it happens sometimes.:rolleyes: We are so looking forward to our cruise in January. Maybe we can smuggle you in our suitcase.;) Take care, D. and B.[/quote] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hey there - thanks for the note. Yes, great time, just entirely too short. I don't know if Bill told you but he and John have decided to come to Alaska with me on Dawn Princess. We'll chat definitely before your cruise.[/FONT]

Archived