Eurodam vs. Noordam for New Year's Cruise

Coco Creek

I have a reservation on the Eurodam for the New Year's Cruise and am also holding a stateroom on the Noordam for the same time. Both reservations are aft cabins on the 5th deck (Verandah).

What factors should I consider in making this decision?

• The verandah on the Noordam is quite large, it appears to be normal size on the Eurodam.
  • Eurodam has 65 more cabins that Noordam. Will this mean the Lido Dining Area and other public areas will be more crowed?
  • Eurodam appears from pictures to have a more classic interior, while Eurodam from pictures appears to have a lot of glitz.
  • Eurodam has three specialty restaurants while Noordam has only the Pinnacle Grill.

What's a guy to do. Help a new to Holland America make a decision. What factors are the most important on a HAL cruise ship? What other factors am I not taking into account that I should?

Thank you from a grateful HAL cruiser to be.

Are the verandas you are holding on the aft? The aft verandas on the Noordam are larger than the ones on the Eurodam. There's another thread on the board now about the Eurodam that mentions this. I had an aft veranda on the Noordam in February and loved it. I also happen to love the Noordam. She's a beautiful ship. Since no one has sailed on the Eurodam yet, it's hard to tell you anything. I don't think it would be a mistake to sail either ship. :D

Eurodam appears from pictures to have a more classic interior, while Eurodam from pictures appears to have a lot of glitz.

Huh? :confused:

When do you need to make your final decision? Can you wait until the E-dam completes a cruise or two? Or three?

There's sure to be lots of reports, including pictures, of the new E-dam by the end of July. If you can wait until then, or until after the third cruise ends in August, you may have a better basis on which to make a decision.

I don't think of the Noordam as "glitzy" at all. I think she's quite in line with the rest of the traditional HAL ships.

And the only "pictures" I've seen of the E-dam are artists renditions. The photos posted on CC have the interior unfinished. So, I wouldn't go by that at all.

Is there a difference in the itineraries at all? Even to the point of length of time in port? How about the order of ports? Is the last day a sea day (great for packing), or will it be at HMC, and you won't want to leave the island? :confused:

If all else fails, how about flipping a coin? :D

I don't think of the Noordam as "glitzy" at all. I think she's quite in line with the rest of the traditional HAL ships.

If all else fails, how about flipping a coin? :D

agree with Ruth

I have sailed Noordam two times and do not see "glitz"

The choice is a difficult one and I am interested in finding out the end result! Keep us posted

There is no glitz on the Noordam at all. I've been on the Zuiderdam, and that's glitzy. As mentioned, if you are looking for a larger aft veranda, the ones on deck 5 of the Noordam are large and exposed to sun and shade. The ones on the Eurodam are shorter and appear to be all shaded since the aft of the Eurodam goes straight up and the Noordam has a gentle slope.

It's the Noordam...because of the aft verandah, because of the three stops plus Half Moon Cay versus two stops plus Half Moon Cay and because of fewer passengers.

Thanks to all who helped.

P.S. I expect the Eurodam to be smash hit and I expect you will find me on the Eurodam in the future if I end liking HAL as much as I like Celebrity.

Coco Creek, we're facing the same dilemma as you, except we are trying now to choose between the Westerdam and the Eurodam. We have a corner aft SB and an inside booked on the Eurodam for the NY cruise and we now have a hold on a corner aft SB (both on the Rotterdam deck) and an inside on the Westerdam.

Same itinerary for both, except the Westerdam leaves one day later, which might work better for us anyhow, and the Westerdam is somewhat cheaper. We are concerned about a number of things on the Eurodam, including the private cabanas on the Lido, the smaller size of the aft cabins, plus the fact that they are completely covered and the number of crew per passenger on the Eurodam. We have to decide soon. Advice anyone? We are also first time cruisers with HAL.

Here is the deal. You know with the Westerdam what you will get. The Eurodam still has to prove it can hold the 200 extra passengers without impacting service and that the Cabanas are not going to compromise the Lido pool area.

I really do hope that the Eurodam is highly successful because it is going to be a beautiful ship. Maybe in the future we can meet on the Eurodam.

Here is the deal. You know with the Westerdam what you will get. The Eurodam still has to prove it can hold the 200 extra passengers without impacting service and that the Cabanas are not going to compromise the Lido pool area.

I really do hope that the Eurodam is highly successful because it is going to be a beautiful ship. Maybe in the future we can meet on the Eurodam.

We agree with you, and since we have to choose soon, like you, or lose the aft cabin, I think we're probably going to switch to the Westerdam for this cruise and wait for the reports on the Eurodam before we decide to book on it. I hope it will be successful as well, although I'm old enough to know that newer doesn't necessarily equal better:D. It does look like a beautiful ship and I'm sure we will sail her at one point! I also like the idea of leaving on the 28th, which means we can fly down on the 27th. Because I share custody of my son with his father, we switch up every Christmas day, which means our Christmas with the lad would be on the 26th this year. If we stay with the Eurodam, we'll miss that (he's coming with us on this cruise) because we always fly in the day before. This way, we can have Christmas, use the rest of the day to pack and fly out the next day. How's that for justification?:D

If it works for you, nothing else matters. Let's both enjoy our respective New Year's cruises.:)

I'm sure we will! After all, we'll be on a ship, and for us at least, out of the Canadian cold winter weather.:)

Smooth waters to you.:)

Coco Creek...

Which ever ship you decide on, I'd book it now. Our first cruise was over New Year's (we had a blast) and not only did it book up fast, but the prices went up after we booked. If I remember correctly, we booked sometime in March/April.

I can't make any recommendations on which ship to book. Our next cruise is on the Noordam, but it's not until Jan. 2009. :)

Coco Creek...

Which ever ship you decide on, I'd book it now. Our first cruise was over New Year's (we had a blast) and not only did it book up fast, but the prices went up after we booked. If I remember correctly, we booked sometime in March/April.

I can't make any recommendations on which ship to book. Our next cruise is on the Noordam, but it's not until Jan. 2009. :)

My Noordam cruise is booked and I have my aft verdanda on the 5th deck. Could not be happier.

My Noordam cruise is booked and I have my aft verdanda on the 5th deck. Could not be happier.

We had SO much fun on our New Year's cruise. It's magical being out in the ocean at the stroke of midnight! The cabin you selected sounds wonderful. :)

Have a wonderful time, and come back and tell us all about your experiences. :)

Archived