Keep Balcony Doors Open?

We had an aft balcony on the Radiance to Hawaii last year 10 sea days wonderful... we spend most sea days sitting on the balcony...does anyone have a secret on keeping the balcony doors open...when the ships rolls from side to side the balcony door opens and then slams shut back and forth back and forth... we tried putting a chair to prop the door open but it still slid and then slammed into the chair....Thanks:):p:D

On keeping your aft slider door open:

Bring a small rubber door stopper frome home and use it prop the door open.

Just an Idea, does anyone who has been in these cabins think this will work?

On the Wind Tunnel effect on the HUMP: Yes, I was a balcony virgin on the Radiance in November of last year and we created a wind tunnel so strong that it literally ripped the clothes out of our closet the strung them throughout the cabin. We couldn't beleive it. It was made worse by the fact that we had the closet door proped open with a suitcase, so the wind almost made a little tornado in the closet.

We laughed for half an hour....

Dave

Dave

Radiance had rubber door stop but it did not keep the door from sliding back and forth. These doors have no way to keep them closed when on the balcony... All we heard all day was the slamming of the balcony doors when we were on the balcony... We did put a chair in the doorway which helped alot

2024130740077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

2954548770077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

its called, turn the a/c off before leaving door open....on that note, its nice to hear the waves, but sometimes you hear this "wind tunnel"...that can be annoying!! lol

Bigtime!! As I was entering the cabin, I blew out the cabin door backwards on the Hump, :eek:

as my husband was opening the balcony door to enter the cabin.

our first balcony was on the adventure, but not the hump....the room steward warned us not to open the hall door when the balcony door was open....well you guessed it!!!! hubby went to go get some coffee in the windjammer the first morning...he went straight from the balcony to the hall door without closing the balcony....our closet door came off the bottom hinge!!!! talk about a racket that made, let alone scare the crap out of him!!!! we learned the hard way to make sure the door was closed!!!

our first balcony was on the adventure, but not the hump....the room steward warned us not to open the hall door when the balcony door was open....well you guessed it!!!! hubby went to go get some coffee in the windjammer the first morning...he went straight from the balcony to the hall door without closing the balcony....our closet door came off the bottom hinge!!!! talk about a racket that made, let alone scare the crap out of him!!!! we learned the hard way to make sure the door was closed!!!

It is truly something I will never forget. :eek: I hope to always remember to never let it happen again. ;)

I do believe a child could get seriously hurt if the cabin door slammed on them as it did on me. :(

I dont think the sign asks to leave the door closed.:confused:

I think it is more "informational" like, "Hey, FYI, you're a/c is going to shut off when you open the door"

or "by the way, if you are wondering why the a/c is not working, try shutting the door"

It makes sense to me. I always shut off the a/c when I have my patio door wide open. I would guess they could care less either way, they are just going to be efficient.

"Please keep balcony door closed" sounds fairly clear to me. If they just wanted to inform you the A/C turns off it would have said something like "Notice: Air conditioning is disabled when balcony door is open."

It isn't just about the A/C

You may not know this but when you do this--a loud wind noise "whooshes" into the hallway from under YOUR door & then affects other cabins--we had a neighbor do this & had to sleep with pillows up against our door to dull the sound--until management could find the culprits & ask them to close their door.

So while I appereciate those who like to do this it does negatively affect others- once you are asleep you don't need to hear anything but your neighbors may hear alot...!

You may not know this but when you do this--a loud wind noise "whooshes" into the hallway from under YOUR door & then affects other cabins--we had a neighbor do this & had to sleep with pillows up against our door to dull the sound--until management could find the culprits & ask them to close their door.

So while I appereciate those who like to do this it does negatively affect others- once you are asleep you don't need to hear anything but your neighbors may hear alot...!

These are the same people who complain about people not following the smoking rules. Guess they like to pick and chose which rules they thing should be followed.;)

we brought bungie cords, to keep balcony door open and it worked great! This was our first time having a balcony, and we loved it! Room stewart brought me a lounge chair, and I slept out there a few nights and woke with the sunrise. Ugh! I want to go back!

P.S. We turned the air off

Mmmmm, I don't buy it. Been on many cruises and yes when I enter the hallway I can hear whooshes from scattered doors but not a whisper of it in my room. never. You must be on ships Ive never been on then but I find that very hard to believe. I'm calling the mythbusters on this one.

Mmmmm, I don't buy it. Been on many cruises and yes when I enter the hallway I can hear whooshes from scattered doors but not a whisper of it in my room. never. You must be on ships Ive never been on then but I find that very hard to believe. I'm calling the mythbusters on this one.

we just were on the explorer and the noise was in our gs when the balcony door was open....did not hear it on the adventure (2x) or the granduer....

Never mind the seagulls and flies... Haven't you noticed the BATS that fly all over the exterior of the ship after dark? No way I want them as a guest! :eek:

Has anyone else ever heard of BATS flying around the ship at night??? If this is true, then they must LIVE on the ship in crevices..yuck..because they can't be flying 24/7 in the middle of the ocean.

I have experienced the wind tunnel...WOW...that'll wake you up real quick! lol:D

On all the Voyager class Ships, (Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator and Mariner) the Air Conditioning shuts off automatically when the balcony door is open.

We were fortunate enough to have a behind the scenes tour with the cheif engineer of Mariner several years ago and he showed us how the system works. It was actually pretty cool. The balcony doors are monitored so when the guests call to complain that the A/C is not working the engineering staff can determine if the door is open.

The good news is it is generally cool enough in the evening that it can be comfortable sleeping with the door open. The comments about the wind tunnel are very true! As are comments about seagulls etc. Remember the ship gets into port very early, and is usually in Seagull range by 6am.

One other note on the balcony, if you smoke don't throw your butts over the side. (They usually end up on the balcony below and behind you) and it is a fire hazard.

Also don't hang towels, and clothes over the railing. The are not only in danger of falling over the side but are also a fire hazzard from the cigarette butts falling from above!

And lastly no matter how romantic you think it sounds DO NOT bring candles on the ship to use on your balcony. This is a major fire hazard. And you don't want to be the person that started the fire that ended everyones cruise early. (Believe it or not we over heard a crewmember and a passenger having an argument about candles in their stateroom)

So while I appreciate those who like to do this it does negatively affect others- once you are asleep you don't need to hear anything but your neighbors may hear alot...!

I have even posted on here that if others hear this noise, to put their towels in front of their doors as I did. ;)

I had cabin #8320, on the Hump, on the Navigator for two weeks in 2006.

When the ship was moving, there was a swooshing whistle coming from somewhere and it drove me nut-so!! :eek: I could not sleep. I finally figured out it was coming in under our cabin door from the hallway. And yes, you could hear it in the hallway. There is a space under the cabin doors and it is just enough to allow that wind to enter every cabin in the hallway nearby. :(

I had to take our beach towels and roll them up and stuff them in front of the cabin door, to stop that noise. We had to do that every time the ship was moving. Day and night.

=Jtd724;14677338]Mmmmm, I don't buy it. Been on many cruises and yes when I enter the hallway I can hear whooshes from scattered doors but not a whisper of it in my room. never. You must be on ships Ive never been on then but I find that very hard to believe. I'm calling the mythbusters on this one.

Just because you have never experienced it, does not mean others haven't. ;) Layout of the ship and the cabins, Direction the ship is traveling, wind conditions, itinerary? Perhaps you were not on the same course as some of us were so the conditions may have been different. ;) Why we heard it and you didn't? Not a clue? Don't care. :D

We have our first balcony stateroom this summer on the Explorer. We thought it'd be nice to fall asleep at night to the sound of the ocean. Do the doors to the balcony stay open? Is there a way to keep them open? Thanks for the info.

I haven't read all the responses.

But the door handle is the locking mechanism.

Just open the door to the desired opening and then lock the handle to keep the door open as far as you want.

Its nice to hear the ocean but it will get warm in the cabin after a while.

Then I have to get up and close the door.

And yes there if you open your stateroom door you can see things flying.

So don't leave important papers laying around or you may see them go overboard

I have even posted on here that if others hear this noise, to put their towels in front of their doors as I did. ;)

I had cabin #8320, on the Hump, on the Navigator for two weeks in 2006.

When the ship was moving, there was a swooshing whistle coming from somewhere and it drove me nut-so!! :eek: I could not sleep. I finally figured out it was coming in under our cabin door from the hallway. And yes, you could hear it in the hallway. There is a space under the cabin doors and it is just enough to allow that wind to enter every cabin in the hallway nearby. :(

I had to take our beach towels and roll them up and stuff them in front of the cabin door, to stop that noise. We had to do that every time the ship was moving. Day and night.

Just because you have never experienced it, does not mean others haven't. ;) Layout of the ship and the cabins, Direction the ship is traveling, wind conditions, itinerary? Perhaps you were not on the same course as some of us were so the conditions may have been different. ;) Why we heard it and you didn't? Not a clue? Don't care. :D

My feeling is mutual. I don't care. My balcony door will be open in 5 days. Yippee.

I do not care for AC unless it is stifling out there .My door is slightly open .Bring a door stopper OPen curtainsSun will wake you before anything else

The sound of light waves and sea breezes is the best lullaby

Michele

Well I´m waiting for some evidence that A/C´s on RCCL ships goes off when the balcony door is open. I don´t believe the stories.

It always amazes me the things people will say in the forum and swear its a fact.

II would really like to know what RCCL ships have those magnets and better yet picture evidence.

I'm still looking for evidence that the themostat knob does anything at all.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm still looking for evidence that the themostat knob does anything at all.

Me Too. I have been on three cruises and this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I like my bedroom really cold, and the temp on the ships just does not get it cold enough. It never seems to make a difference where I have it set, it never gets cold enough....

One warning - never attempt to open the door to the cabin if the balcony door is open. Wind tunnel doesn't even begin to describe what happens.

I did this once and I had a lipstick in my hand. I barely pulled my hand out of the way, but the lipstick (in a metal tube) got SMASHED right in the center when the door slammed on it. I looked at that smashed tube and kept thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dang,, that could have easily been my finger..:eek:

As far as the AC turning off when the balcony doors are open, If you listen, you can hear it shut off when they are open. Then close and you can hear it kick back on...

DH and I almost always leave our balcony door open at night. The air conditioner wreaks havoc on his sinuses so he prefers the fresh ocean air, and I enjoy it as well. Love hearing the ocean sounds as we drift off to sleep. We've never had bats or seagulls invade us.

I have not been on Voyager class and newer ships so I don't know how those balcony doors affect the a/c.

I know on Sovereign and Vision class ships, the a/c does not shut off when the balcony door is left open. I've tried this on several of the ships - Majesty, Sovereign, Rhapsody, and Legend. The wind tunnel affect is there no matter where your cabin is - side or aft. The balcony door will usually not slide when the door handle is rotated down (6 o'clock position) after the door is opened. I say "usually" because some of them are getting old so the door may creep depending on ship motion, especially on aft cabins. In these cabins, we normally adjust the thermostat so the a/c is not running while the door is open.

On Radiance class ships, the a/c does shut off when the balcony door is opened. I've tried this on Radiance and Brilliance and both have the a/c shut off if the door is left open. I also noticed that the door seems to slide on those ships with minimal ship motion. Again, side and aft both have wind tunnel affects but I noticed it worse aft than side. I have not tried a magnet on the door to see if that affects the a/c - normally if I have the door open it's because I want fresh air in the cabin.

In case anyone cares, Celebrity Xpedition a/c also runs if the balcony door is open.

Archived