Help: Istanbul Tours

Acrusa

We arrive into Istanbul on July 4th for the July 7th Nautica Baltic Sea Cruise.Anybody familiar with EKOL TOURS or ESKI**** TOURS? Or anyother tour operaters?

Just need some input for Sat. and Sun. before we board the Nautica on Monday.

Thanks

We used Ekol for our Ephesus tour and also for a tour in Istanbul. They provide you with a car and driver AND a tour guide, who is very knowledgeable.

We had a tour guide named Burak in Ephesus and a tour guide named Errol in Istanbul. We liked them both. They are extremely accommodating and will take you wherever you want to go - and you have them for the whole day, even if your tour is shorter.

While watching Rick Steves on TV on the Insignia (for the 4/26-5/10 sailing) we found out that Turkish tour guides are not paid. They get their compensation from taking you to a rug store or a pottery store where they get a 20% commission.. If you plan to eschew a rug weaving demonstration (and attendant sales pitch) or do not wish to pay the high prices at the pottery store, plan to tip the tour guide handsomely. That might be his only compensation.

Do plan to visit the Terrace Houses while at Ephesus. It is very well worth it. We were not so sure about the Virgin Mary's House or St. John's Basilica.

Ephesus, itself, is fascinating.

We found that the price for an Ekol tour guide was less for 2 people than taking the ship's tour.

If you would like more information, email me at Charlies71mom at Hotmail dot com.

Roberta

When we started from Istanbul on the Nautica in July 2006, we booked 3 nights pre-cruise at the Conrad and used Ekol for:

1) Airport pick-up

2) A full day tour of Istanbul

3) A half-day Bosporus Cruise and Spice Bazaar tour

4) An evening at the Orient House--dinner/show

5) A full day tour from Kusadasi to Miletus, Didyma and Ephesus...

I felt their prices were entirely reasonable, if not great value...

If I did it over again, I would have just gone with a taxi for the airport pick-up...We had a small problem connecting at the airport and a taxi would have been easier...

The full day tour of Istanbul was outstanding...We had a guide and a driver...They met us at the hotel...and the guide was excellent...we saw a whole lot in very organized, efficient fashion...The guide was very knowledgable, spoke great English (he had lived for several years in Ann Arbor, Michigan)...

The half day cruise tour was actually in conjunction with the tours offered locally...not a "private tour"...the added value to Ekol was that they met us at the hotel and brought us to the tour drop off (near Hagia Sophia) and picked us up at the end and brought us back to the hotel...The Orient House evening (which, BTW, was one of the highlights of our trip) was also basically a pick-up at the hotel after which the Orient House basically took over...We might have done both of these directly, but I don't think Ekol's mark-up for the transportation and logistics was a very large amount in either case...It was very comfortable and easy knowing Ekol had pretty much coordinated our entire visit to Turkey...

The full day tour for two in Kusadasi was even better than the tour in Istanbul...Our guide met us at the ship and took us all over...Another great, informative guide...great English, very knowledgable...

Ekol uses LICENSED tour guides...ans they seemed very dependable...

BTW, make sure to opt OUT of the visit to the Rug merchants...all of the guides, no matter which outfit you deal with, do this--but it's a high pressure, uncomfortable visit...

Have fun...

We are a group of 10 who will be on the black Sea cruise. I have arranged for various 1/2 day and full day tours with Kagan's guide Deniz based upon previous cruise critic comments. What is the Orient house evening? Could we do that on our own?

Thanks, Susan

Thank for all the great info.

BRUIN STEVE: O has a new tour from the port of Kusadasi.

It goes to Miletus,Priene and Didyma.

In your opinion if I had to choose between this new tour and the one to Ephesus and the terrace houses,which would you reccamend.

Thank for all the great info.

BRUIN STEVE: O has a new tour from the port of Kusadasi.

It goes to Miletus,Priene and Didyma.

In your opinion if I had to choose between this new tour and the one to Ephesus and the terrace houses,which would you reccamend.

I wouldn't do either tour through Oceania (And I'm one that actually does a lot of ship's excursions in a lot of places)...You are simply going to pay MORE money to see LESS on a tour with 30 other people on a bus...The local agencies, like Ekol, are so reasonable...and you can go at your own speed...Ephesus is not to be missed, but Ekol will get you to Miletus and Didyma as well...and both are pretty cool...But O's tour's are basically either/or...and they cost more...

What is the Orient house evening? Could we do that on our own?

Susan,

Orient House is a restaurant with dinner show...

It was pretty danged cool...

First, they seat you at a table and place the flag of your home country at your table...

We were seated at a table with a Tunisian couple, a French couple and (I'm forgetting right now where the 4th couple was from)...The next table over had Koreans, Brits and Japanese...next to them were Israelis, Italians and Canadians...Next to them Egyptians and more English...Other tables had Iranians, Palestinians, Saudis, Germans...You name it...Must have been about 40 nationalities...

They served a multi-course meal and put on a show...The emcee spoke about every language and greeted everyone in English, French, Spanish, German, Japanese, Hebrew, Arabic, etc.

They had belly dancers, folk dancers, Turkish music, and a headliner singer who sang songs in different languages aimed at every nationality (The highlight for me was the Tunisian guy at our table singing along with Hava Nagilah)...

They had audience participation, pulling people out of the crowd for a couple of bits...A great time was had by all...and everyone seemed to get along just great--even the Arabs and Israelis!!!

Acrusa,

I am on the same cruise as you---will also be arriving on July 4th. I have a private tour set up with Nejat Incedogan ( he comes highly recommended from several Oceania passengers and CC members) on Sunday, July 6th.

Tour includeds the following sights:

Saint Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and Haram, Mosque of Suleymaniye, Dolmabahce. We are 4 people so far--e-mail me if you want future info pembrokegail@msn.com Please put CRUISE TOUR--so I do not delete

Looking forward to the cruise

Gail

We used a guide in Istanbul through Levant names Yavuz. He gave us the very best tour we have had anywhere. He did not have a car and used the public taxis to shuttle us. We first though it odd and were uncomfortable with it - until you see parking at the Mosques, Covered Bazaar and as you walk through the alleyways he showed us in the various "districts". His English was perfect and he was amazing - adjusting our tour as we went to our likes and dislikes. He included all the fares in his fee including tips for the drivers. We really got everything and much more than in a cruise ship tour.

We used EKOL tours in both Instanbul and Ephesus. They were absolutely fantastic! Great guides, wonderful large van for just 4 of us and they altered the day to do what WE wanted to do as we went along. We highly recommend them and would used them again in a minute.

Enjoy! You're going to a wonderful area.

We used EKOL tours in both Instanbul and Ephesus. They were absolutely fantastic! Great guides, wonderful large van for just 4 of us and they altered the day to do what WE wanted to do as we went along. We highly recommend them and would used them again in a minute.

Enjoy! You're going to a wonderful area.

When you booked did they charge your Credit card at that time, or at the time they did the tour?

How much time was spent at Topkopi.We have been reading the tour books and they say to go to the Harem.How much time do you think we should alot for Topkapi.Would 5 hrs be enough to tour the Aya Sofya and Topkopi in your oppinion?

Took you're advise.Booked Eckol tours for the 7hr tour of Istanbul.

Thanks for all your advise.Filled out there form they told me they would not charge my CC untill they pick us up, for the tour.

• 2 years later...
We are a group of 10 who will be on the black Sea cruise. I have arranged for various 1/2 day and full day tours with Kagan's guide Deniz based upon previous cruise critic comments. What is the Orient house evening? Could we do that on our own?

Thanks, Susan

Hi Susan. Orient House is a dinner/Turkish culture show (read the most amazing belly dancers you have ever seen!). Kagan or Lala's company arranged for the Orient House to pick us up at our hotel. I noticed that the restaurant had many many vans. Could also book through hotel desk or book on line and get taxi or hotel pickup included. Dinner was good but not outstanding. There are several companies that do these dinner shows for about the same price. Lala says not much difference but that she thought the food best at Orient House.

Lala is the wife of Kagan and co-owner. For many years she trained guides for the Tourist Guide Guild. Anyone who works for the Kagan agency is well trained and delightful. Do enjoy Istanbul and Orient House.

I am sitting here at my computer looking at the beautiful ruby red and cream rug that I bought in Istanbul with the wonderful framed scarf above it and I say DON"T opt out of the rug shop. It was fascinating to see these lovely works of art manufactured and there were so many beautiful choices. Everyday I have a little smile as I remember buying this beautiful souvenier. The ruby red was for my 40th wedding anniversary and now 2 years later I still love it. Scarf stores are really different from anything in America and framed they make lovely wall hangings. Another favorite item was the decorated leaf with Bible verse that we went to a store in the bazaar. This is a true work of art and the artist has made them for famous people over the world.

Usually I buy a tiny example of pottery or a pair of ear rings etc. Not big into souveniers but the experience of buying such beauty in Istanbul was very special and LaLa just knows the best shops.

We booked our Ephesus tour (coming up in less than 2 weeks!) last summer with Ekol. They charged our credit card when we booked.

ouch..hope you are still in touch with them..not that I know who or what they are..but had a horrible experience just once ( and once was once too many) about paying upfront. The company did not show up at the ship for our tour at all and try to get your money back after all that time...most credit card companies are only willing to go back 2 to 3 months on a dispute...

You can find highly recommended companies ,on this board.. guides/drivers who will pick you up at the port and tour you and be paid at the end of the tour ..no upfront charges..

good luck..

ouch..hope you are still in touch with them..not that I know who or what they are..but had a horrible experience just once ( and once was once too many) about paying upfront. The company did not show up at the ship for our tour at all and try to get your money back after all that time...most credit card companies are only willing to go back 2 to 3 months on a dispute...

You can find highly recommended companies ,on this board.. guides/drivers who will pick you up at the port and tour you and be paid at the end of the tour ..no upfront charges..

good luck..

Please note the date of the majority of posts in this thread - May of 2008!

For some reason, the thread was revived as if the information of over 2.5 years ago is current. In so many ways the ship has sailed for this thread! :)

Hi

We spent some 4 days in Istanbul in May 2010 after arriving there from Venice on Regent Seven Seas and doing a basic tour of Istanbul with Regent on arrival. Saw some amazing things like the wedding dress displays in shop windows, historical church/mosque etc.

But the highlight for the two of us whoi are in their 60's was the independence we had.

We booked a hotel in Sultanahment and had a transfer organised also from whraf to hotel and hotel to airport for $USD35 for each trip for both of us.

We then walked around Istanbul seeing the sights at our own pace and spending time where we wanted. It depends on what you would like to do and see.

We spent some 7 hours at Topkapi, some time at Blue Mosque during prayer time as we could get in untiul after the prayers had finished. Aya Sofia requires more than 30 mniutes. Being in Sultanahmet we found great food at good prices and evrything was central(Grand Bazaar was 10 minutes walk as was the 1000 column cistern.

Only thing you have to do is pay the entrance fees and have a map of each site with you similar to those in Lonely Planet(go to the library and get a book on Istanbul and you will find details of each site in them)

For the day on the Bosphorous we walked down to the wharf and back again. Great to be among the people and it is not dangerous at all.

Also in the square near Aya Sofia is a currency exchange place and they give good rates. We used it daily.

Also be aware that Aya Sofia is closed one day a week(Monday I think) and Topkapi is closed another day of the week so make sure you allow for that when organising tours.

Traffic is horrendous in Istanbul.

Espehsus is one amazing place. It is a whole city that is exposed and makes a lot of other roman ruins look mild and boring. We did an organised tour with RSSC and we were there 7 hours. Amazing place. Mary's house is important to the locals and the tourist trade but would not include in a private tour.

Istanbul was a very surprising city in what is available to be seen and we did not even get to see Beyoglu.

Enjoy the place and food and the people. Just be aware wine is quite expensive whether by the glass or bottle.

Archived