General Westerdam questions

Barek

We're starting to put together our checklist for packing, and realized we have some questions (never been on HAL before). Any help from those more experienced would be appreciated!

- For the electrical outlets, I understand there's a shortage of available ones. So that we know which power strip to pack - is the outlet in the cabin two or three pronged in the Vista class ships?

- I think that I read somewhere that we can bring some wine and soda on-board with us ... is it possible to have the steward remove everything from the mini-fridge so that we can store our own beverages in it?

- For the wine, are wine glasses available in the cabin, or should we ask the steward for some after boarding?

- For the wine, I think the corkage fee was $15 in the main dining room - correct?

- If we decide to have wine at the bars; what's the price for the wine cards, and what wineries and types of wine are available currently via the wine card? I've also heard that it may be better to purchase the wine card at the bar we intend to hang-out at the most. But, for someone who has never been on the Westerdam ... can someone give a brief summary of the main bars available, and which ones are your favorites for just relaxing, chatting, and/or just people-watching or viewing the coast (for when we're on the inside passage and can see the coast).

- And just a side question related to the bars ... is the piano bar really as horridly decorated as it appears in photos, or is it more elegant in person than it looks on-line? (maybe - hopefully - it just photographs badly?)

I'll give this my best shot---

- For the electrical outlets, I understand there's a shortage of available ones. So that we know which power strip to pack - is the outlet in the cabin two or three pronged in the Vista class ships?

Sorry, I don't remember. :o

- I think that I read somewhere that we can bring some wine and soda on-board with us ... is it possible to have the steward remove everything from the mini-fridge so that we can store our own beverages in it?

Yes, you can. Keep in mind that the fridges are quite small.

- For the wine, are wine glasses available in the cabin, or should we ask the steward for some after boarding?

I had an inside on the Noordam and had glasses in the cabin. If yours are missing just ask the steward.

- For the wine, I think the corkage fee was $15 in the main dining room - correct?

Correct. The corkage fee also applies to the bars, if you should want to have the wine served there.

- If we decide to have wine at the bars; what's the price for the wine cards, and what wineries and types of wine are available currently via the wine card? I've also heard that it may be better to purchase the wine card at the bar we intend to hang-out at the most.

Sorry. Can't help on this.

But, for someone who has never been on the Westerdam ... can someone give a brief summary of the main bars available, and which ones are your favorites for just relaxing, chatting, and/or just people-watching or viewing the coast (for when we're on the inside passage and can see the coast).

Quiet bar on Main Deck in the atrium. It's right by the Front Office. Piano Bar---nighttime, w/piano player. :D . Ocean Bar---open most of the day/night. Great place for pre-dinner cocktails. Dancing pre- and post-dinner. Sports Bar---TV's showing soccer, announced in Spanish (at least that's what seems to be on all the time :rolleyes:). Crow's Nest---room is open all day/night. Great views forward, and some nice chairs to watch from. :) There may be music pre-dinner cocktail time. Explorers Lounge---room is always open; drinks served w/light classical music after dinner. Northern Lights---the nighttime disco. Loud! :eek:

- And just a side question related to the bars ... is the piano bar really as horridly decorated as it appears in photos, or is it more elegant in person than it looks on-line? (maybe - hopefully - it just photographs badly?)

Sorry, I haven't been on this ship. On the Noordam it was nice inside---but it could look garish in pictures.

Hope this helped.

I can't remember if they are 2 prong or 3 prong outlets, but for some reason I am thinking they are 3 prong.

We had the steward remove the mini-bar items. We were able to fit several bottles of wine and some cans of pop that we brought in there. The remaining pop and wine we kept inside the little stool that is beside the fridge.

There were wine glasses in our cabin on the Westerdam but when we were on the Zuiderdam there were not so we just asked our steward for some.

We enjoy the Crows Nest for the night time and the bar by the pool for during the day.

- For the electrical outlets, I understand there's a shortage of available ones. So that we know which power strip to pack - is the outlet in the cabin two or three pronged in the Vista class ships? I am pretty sure it was 3 pronged. I take a small power strip and they are usually they are three pronged. If only I can remember where I put it.... :).

- I think that I read somewhere that we can bring some wine and soda on-board with us ... is it possible to have the steward remove everything from the mini-fridge so that we can store our own beverages in it? We tried but he said he couldn't. Then we discovered he took the cans out which gave us some room. In our veranda balcony cabin the fridge did not get all that cold.

- For the wine, are wine glasses available in the cabin, or should we ask the steward for some after boarding? There should be glasses, but of not, just ask.

- For the wine, I think the corkage fee was $15 in the main dining room - correct? Correct. Dining room and lounges.

Hope this helps.

- For the electrical outlets, I understand there's a shortage of available ones. So that we know which power strip to pack - is the outlet in the cabin two or three pronged in the Vista class ships? I am pretty sure it was 3 pronged. I take a small power strip and they are usually they are three pronged. If only I can remember where I put it....

Found it! It's 3 pronged.

Before you ask the steward, check the little cabinet on the side of the desk (for V cabin) or the cabinet under the little counter where they put the fruit (I guess this is supposed to be a wet-bar) in the S cabins.

We had a little party in our suite and wanted to serve champagne, and called for glassed to be delivered. Only after that did we notice that there were at least 12 glasses right in that cabinet.

They are 3-pronged.

I think that I read somewhere that we can bring some wine and soda on-board with us ... is it possible to have the steward remove everything from the mini-fridge so that we can store our own beverages in it?
Yes, this can be done. As mentioned previously, sometimes the fridge is not all that cold. Also, as a word of caution, be sure to check your final bill carefully. The one time I asked to have the fridge emptied I was charged for the entire contents on my final bill.

I think that I read somewhere that we can bring some wine and soda on-board with us
Yes, you can bring wine, champagne and soda onboard.

Archived