Alarm clock? - Doesn't the Ship offer Wake up calls?

StarWarsGal

I will be on the Golden in a few weeks. I keep reading where people say to bring a travel alarm clock? Why? When I sailed with Carnival we just used the wake up call service with the phone in the room. Does Princess not have this feature? :confused:

Yes, you can request wake-up calls. There are no clocks in the room which is why I travel with an alarm clock. Also, it is a backup in case the wake up call fails - which has never happened to me!

TJ

Ban all alarm clocks--it's vacation! LOL

I agree - who needs an Alarm clock on vacation. I just want to make sure that on that one early day I don't miss my excursion.

Thanks to you all! You have been a great help.:)

Although I have never not gotten a wake-up call, I do know it's possible. But I have my watch (which I never wear at home...opposite of other people, I need my watch on vacation...how else to know when it's time to meet?) to see what time it is when I wake up, and I always order coffee from room service to arrive about the same time as the wake-up call. That way, there's a back-up, and a more pleasant back-up than my alarm:) . On our last cruise, we frequently needed to be up before the stated time that breakfast room service was supposed to start in the morning (I think it says 7 on the little order card that you hang on your door), but we just wrote down the time that we wanted it, and it never failed to arrive...usually a little early, even. And they always called first, so it was like 3 alarms!

I like having a travel clock along to check at a glance to make sure if there is something I want to attend, I will make it on time.

I have used the wake up call feature on the phone before, but just as an emergency back up if I shut off the alarm. Especially during port intensive cruises where I have early morning tours.

On sea days it isn't all that necessary to have a clock, but early morning tours and such it is great not to be late.

All these that don't bother with a clock might be the reason why so many tours are held up waiting for those late arrivals. ;) ;)

I will be on the Golden in a few weeks. I keep reading where people say to bring a travel alarm clock? Why? When I sailed with Carnival we just used the wake up call service with the phone in the room. Does Princess not have this feature? :confused:

Yes they have this feature and this is what we use.

Never have taken an alarm clock:D

All these that don't bother with a clock might be the reason why so many tours are held up waiting for those late arrivals. ;) ;)

Perhaps in some cases.

We prefer to be unscheduled on vacation (as opposed to everyday life) and have never been late for any tour we've taken, but have waited for others--some of who never even show up.

Perhaps in some cases.

We prefer to be unscheduled on vacation (as opposed to everyday life) and have never been late for any tour we've taken, but have waited for others--some of who never even show up.

Please don't take my comment personally. It has always been a longtime joke when waiting for those late arrivals that someone always pops up and says "well, guess we know who forgot to pack their alarm clock this time".

Same sort of joke while on excursions when you are always waiting for that last couple or two that were told to be back at a certain time but are always late. Someone always says, "those couples definitely need to set their watch to ships time, as we are tired of waiting for them always returning late back to the bus".

I also bring a small digital clock so I can see what time it is. (I have to put my glasses on to see the time on the telephone and my watch). We just returned from a 15 day on the Coral and I commented to my husband that our clock must be broken as it seemed to loose about 10 minutes a day and I was going to toss it when we got home. Well I plugged it in at home and it's working fine.

I figured thats what it was, was going to check Walmart and see if I could find one that would guarantee me it would loose 12 hours each day so I could extend my vacation

Perhaps in some cases.

Everyone cruises for a different reason. However, if you're on a cruise that's port-intensive (and many like these types of cruises) and are meeting your all-day tour at 7:30AM, it's a good idea to have an alarm clock that you trust with you. I bring a travel clock that not only has an alarm but has the temperature.

I have two very port-intensive cruises coming up: the Crown in July with 9 ports in 10 days, and the Prinsendam in October with 24 ports in 28 days. I think I'm gonna need a "vacation" after these. Oh, right. I just had one (20 sea days out of 31.) :) My alarm clock is going to get a workout.

The ship's automated wake-up call is generally pretty good and accurate but I've gotten calls 15 minutes late, some times. On our recent Sapphire cruise, someone programmed the system incorrectly after we crossed the International Date Line so that the next day, no one got a wake-up call for their port excursions (some people missed them) but the following day, which was a sea day, everyone got their 7AM wake-up call from the day before. :(

Pam, I have heard other stories also about the auto wake up system malfunctioning in the past. I am sure that is a real 'passenger pleaser' when those expecting a wake up, sleep in instead and miss their shore excursions. :(

I often will use that feature if we are very tired or get to bed very late, just as a back up. But my trusty little travel alarm I know I can count on, as long as I don't roll over and shut it off that is. lol (therefore the auto back up system just in case ;))

Port intensive cruises can either make a man outta ya, or show you what a real whimp you are. LOL Sounds like you will be finding out very soon after all those sea days on the last voyage. :)

I read all of the boards about clocks as well. We have cruised many times before, but never had to wake up early for excursions. We are on the Golden the week after you. I just picked up a travel clock (battery operated, back light, and alarm) for $3.99 at Target. I don't want to miss our early excursions in Alaska, so although they offer a wake-up call, I would rather rely on myself, and I am concerned that my cell phone won't work.

I do like to know what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night, so I bring a alarm clock.

Also, the wake-up call system did malfunction when we had a time change. Clocks were set back one hour, but the phone system didn't update. So, our 6am wake up call happened at 5am! Uch. Oh well, at least we were awake to see the sunrise for a change. :D

I would suggest a back-up to the ship system, particularly if you have an early departure or shore excursion; our last cruise on the Grand we wanted to program in a wake-up call for the last morning and the system said it was "Full" and could not accept any more wake-up call requests. And the Purser's office was of no help either; when we asked if they could make a manual call all they said was 'no'. We ended up sleeping fitfully and waking up every hour or two and checking the time.

Ban all alarm clocks--it's vacation! LOL

I am all for banning alarm clocks when cruising the Caribbean or the like. However, on our cruise that is coming up in June, the ship docks in Skagway at 6am and departs at 8:15pm...and in Ketchikan we arrive at 6am and leave 6.5 hours later. There is WAY too much to do in Alaska to sleep through any of it. So, while in general I agree with you, in this case, I must disagree and wouldn't want to miss a minute.

Although I have never not gotten a wake-up call, I do know it's possible. But I have my watch (which I never wear at home...opposite of other people, I need my watch on vacation...how else to know when it's time to meet?) to see what time it is when I wake up, and I always order coffee from room service to arrive about the same time as the wake-up call. That way, there's a back-up, and a more pleasant back-up than my alarm:) . On our last cruise, we frequently needed to be up before the stated time that breakfast room service was supposed to start in the morning (I think it says 7 on the little order card that you hang on your door), but we just wrote down the time that we wanted it, and it never failed to arrive...usually a little early, even. And they always called first, so it was like 3 alarms!

Ditto! I like to have my coffee delivered at the time I want to wake up. They have always delivered with in the 1/2 hour time frame you chose. So chose your time a 1/2 earlier, you will surly be up in time. Once I was on my balcony when they tried to deliver. I did not hear the door. I got a phone call right away. I heard that!

Take a travel clock, have a friend call, use the automated wake up call or program your cell phone alarm. Yes it still works at sea even when there is no signal.

Relax, enjoy!:D

Archived