Complaining Couple Banned from RCI

I would almost bet it was the numerous subsequent reviews on other websites that were very unfair and unbalanced regarding the Radiance Member's cruise that directed RCI to take action. She mentioned many times in those reviews the compensation that they were awarded............and with each review it got better and better.

Being compensated by a cruise line for whatever reason is a private matter and should never be discussed on a message board or revealed in a review unless the compensation was extended to everyone on that sailing.

I disagree. Read any travel magazine where they talk about problems experienced and they always say what the outcome was, including the compensation. What this does is help realistic expectations get set.

The reviewer said that the room smelled of sewage and the complained right away. That would obviously be on record. It is not as if they made this up when they got home just to get a credit.

My wife and I own our own business (bowling center) and there are some customers out there you just cannot please no matter what you do. I have sent at least two different family packing due to their continued complaining. It reaches a point where I say to them "It is obvious we cannot meet the expectations you expect so I am going to ask you to take your business elsewhere."

Tim

Its my view no member should disclose what compo they get from any cruise company and CC should consider tightening the rules on this !!

The review did seem balanced - but IMHO if RC are reading this site ( which we all know they are ) then it was probably other comments/posts that got their backs up.

If thats the case no-one should feel threatened by posting a bad review and i hope CC take this up with Royal Caribbean !! we should feel under no pressure when posting a cruise review.

May i add any time my wife or i have had an issue relating to a cruise RC have dealt with it fairly and reasonable ( without the demand of compo on our part )

jj....

I know I would have complained about that. Back when I was travelling full time for work, I was elite status in the Hotel chain. I always booked non-smoking rooms. One time, because of weather, I got into town really late and the only room left was a smoking room. It smelled of wet cigars and worse. It was nasty and horible. They could not get me moved into a new room until the next day. They put in a room deoderizer, but it did not work. I was staying at the same hotel often, so it was not like I was a new guest.

Anyway, I complained, but the only think I got was moved into an available room the next day. Since work was paying the cost, I let it drop there, but you can bet I would have complained more if I was footing the bill.

I also see nothing wrong with stating the compensation you got. Future credits is not huge because it is still forcing you to spend more money with the cruise line. If you ever read any travel magazine, they always follow up problems with the compensation that was granted.

I had the opposite happen to me, I was compensated by an airline without filing a complaint. I had the unfortunate luck to be stuck sitting in the middle of a group of middle age fisherman on the way home from a weekend drunken fishing trip. Right after the beverage service on the plane, the clod in front of me decided to slam his seat backwards and pinned my wrist between the seat and a tray table bending my wrist backwards. After I used my free hand to slam his seat into the upright position, I went to the back of the plane for ice. Later in the flight, a flight attendant came and filled out an accident report. About a month later, I was sent a compensation package from the airline, including a confidentiality agreement. I had no plans on filing a formal complaint with the airline but I happily accepted their offer.:)

Its my view no member should disclose what compo they get from any cruise company and CC should consider tightening the rules on this !!

jj....

Do you really think silencing is the way to go? Can't there be a happy medium or is that just a utopian thought?

I don't think it had anything to do with the review or her giving out the amount she was comp.

It has more to do with the record of complainants that she and her husband have accumulated over their years of cruising. There comes a point were a business can't be afraid to fire a client. I have done it myself more than once. If I can't meet their needs and have done all I can to try a work with them. Then they do need to take their business else where.

Last time I complained on a RCI ship was on the Brilliance and the Bar Manager sorted it out by buying a round of beers for my trouble. To me she really didn't have to do that but it was greatly appreciated. I've read a ton of people complain about the slightest thing here on the boards. Everytime I go to the Windjammer, I purposely grab the broken cookie and proclaim "This broken cookie has ruined my cruise experience!" I have yet to get a discount on future cruises.

1. If RCCL didn't require a Notice of Confidentiality (about the settlement) to be signed, then this person has every legal right to say whatever they want to say. If CC doesn't want to let it post, that's another matter, but unless she signed away her rights, she can tell whomever she wants about what she got.

2. What some people refer to as "professional complainers" might just be that some people have a higher standard of expectations in customer service, and feel the need to speak up when their standard is not met, which is also their right.

I myself often speak up when faced with incompetence, and and often compensated for such. I actually feel sorry for people that don't speak up and simply choose to take a passive approach towards poor service. As a result of being a "professional complainer" I have received everything from free meals at restaurants to a free trip for 4 to Jamaica (air not included). If people want to label me as a trouble maker, fine, but guess who my friends and family RUN to whenever they have a problem!!!;)

3. RCCL has every right to ban them if they became a bad investment for the company.

I have no opinion either way about whether this person deserved to be banned or not, I just find this whole thread to be very amusing.

Do you really think silencing is the way to go?

In this case yes - reason why - members will be comparing discounts or refunds and then in return complaining to RC i didn't get the same as such and such ( and before you know it members will be fighting )

jj.....

1. If RCCL didn't require a Notice of Confidentiality (about the settlement) to be signed, then this person has every legal right to say whatever they want to say. If CC doesn't want to let it post, that's another matter, but unless she signed away her rights, she can tell whomever she wants about what she got.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Unless a confidentiality agreement was signed, she can tell anyone she wants.

Remind me never to complain about RCCL. ;) :D

In this case yes - reason why - members will be comparing discounts or refunds and then in return complaining to RC i didn't get the same as such and such ( and before you know it members will be fighting )

jj.....

Limiting the correct information from being exchanged defeats the whole of the outward purpose of these boards.

Someone should know and have access to that problem A deserves $400. Not the $200 the company offered initially and not the $1000 the customer thinks they can get out of them.

To limit discussion of this information is not for our benefit. And those that want to cheerlead the cruiselines can go work for them instead.

I'm not saying there wont be people that chase after the money this way. There are. It appears the couple in question were one of them. But the companies of this world know how to deal with these people.

Don't for a minute believe it was the discussion of compensation publicly that got them banned. (unless they signed or verbally agreed not to)

Don't for a minute believe it was the discussion of compensation publicly that got them banned. (unless they signed or verbally agreed not to)

Or, if they were giving out information that the company knew to be false.

It's one thing to tell the truth and another to exaggerate the truth about being compensated. That was the problem in all of the reviews posted on the various websites after they returned from their cruise.

Yes, we all learn from each other on these boards, but if you are going to be compensated for something.......be truthful about it.............unfortunately this was not the case with this individual.

I've read a ton of people complain about the slightest thing here on the boards. Everytime I go to the Windjammer, I purposely grab the broken cookie and proclaim "This broken cookie has ruined my cruise experience!" I have yet to get a discount on future cruises.

Oh, that's because all the calories fall out when a cookie breaks, so the cruise line was actually compensating you with less weight gain. ;)

I have written letters of complaint - but I am choosy because I don't want to get a track record as a constant complainer. And I'm just as likely to send a nice letter as a bad one.

So, does the former cop still post on these boards? It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about this. The reveiws were not bad in any way, but the former cop always had many negative things to say on this board, especially when it came to cleaniness of their cabin. Sometimes, when a company knows that they can't please a customer no matter how hard they try, it is best to tell them to move on. Kind of like Elaine in the Seinfeld episode..."no soup for you!"

How many of you go on a cruise LOOKING for something to complain about? No - you go to have a good time, if the poop hits the fan, you complain and on average are compensated for your problems. On first reading the review sounds ok.. but to me it was dripping in sarcasm.. you could almost hear the reviewer's eye's rolling whilst reading it.

Saying that I'm English .. we don't complain anyway.. we just tut and moan about it on the side.

Maybe I am a little slow on the uptake, but how did RCCL know who to call and ban? Esp if this person has numerous screen names how did they know who it was?

They complained to RCI directly and from this persons posting on these very boards, it wasn't their first time to RCI or a cruise line for that matter. It was not taken from a review. Again a cruise line is not going to ban someone for writing a bad review. Ever hear of the little boy who cried wolf one time too many?

They complained to RCI directly and from this persons posting on these very boards, it wasn't their first time to RCI or a cruise line for that matter. It was not taken from a review. Again a cruise line is not going to ban someone for writing a bad review. Ever hear of the little boy who cried wolf one time too many?

I agree with Gordon........folks there is apparently a history here......it just can't be told. This has nothing to do with the review, announced compensation or anything like that.

Be careful what you ask for from any cruiseline.........you might not like the end result of what you end up getting.

Archived