Can't believe we always missed this....

On all our cruises I don't know if when we pulled out of ports if we were on the wrong side of ship or busy doing other things. But on this last cruise we were port side in St Maarten there was a Carnival ship docked next to us.

When it was getting close to sail time and the ships were blowing their horns everyone on both ships seemed to be out on the balconies looking out to-wards the security checkpoint coming onto the pier. You'd hear some one scream "WE GOT A RUNNER"

The crowd would go wild as we watched the person bags in tow and usually a wife several yards behind running for the ship. As we got closer to sail time they'd send golf carts out to pick them up, the crowd would go nuts and it was so fun to watch.

One poor soul missed RCCI the golf cart got him up to the employees entrance just as they were pulling up the ramp! He waved to the ship and we figured his wife was going to be one unhappy camper for the rest of the day. Carnival had the last of the runners and we ended up pulling away first so figure that meant we WON!....

We will be sure to always watch this even if our cabin is on the wrong side we will hit the rail on the Lido cause it was just too funny!!! :D

Too funny????

I'm sorry that would disturb me terribly if I saw someone miss the ship. At the same time I'd be thinking what a dummy that person is because to me, there is no reason for this to happen but still I just couldn't bear to actually see it.

So the guy just waved to the ship as it sailed away? How was he going to get back on?

Too funny????

I'm sorry that would disturb me terribly if I saw someone miss the ship. At the same time I'd be thinking what a dummy that person is because to me, there is no reason for this to happen but still I just couldn't bear to actually see it.

So the guy just waved to the ship as it sailed away? How was he going to get back on?

Well at first I kind of thought the same thing but I tell you there were tons of people on their balconies and on the lido rail watching. We were cheering for them to get there and urging them to run faster. It isn't like anyone was hoping they wouldn't make it although I did hear the word dumba$$ yelled out a few times. It was more like watching a track meet to see who would make it to the finsih line in time.

He just stood there and waved this was our last port so he would have had to fly home he got back in the golf cart and they drove him down the pier. Watching this made my DH and I realize that taking a photo copy of your passport into port with you isn't a bad idea and not letting one person carry all the important things like id and credit cards. Just imagine if his wife had everything in her bag he'd really be in trouble.

It's always a big event when leaving Cozumel to watch the last of the people from carlos 'n charlies stagger/crawl or get carried back on board! For the very last ones running there are usually a few chants of "Run Forest, Run!"

We witnessed the same spectacle as well, same port, same ships. We won that day too!! I will never forget these 2 women, "trying" to run to the ship, the whole time shouting "hold the ship!! Hold the ship!!!"

They did of course, but it was close. I thought it was hilarious .....

Guess I have a warped sense of humor as I did find this funny!! Mostly 'cause I too would be thinking dumba$$. I've not realized that it is quite the "sport" to watch -- will pay more attention when in Key West and Cozumel this December:) .

On all our cruises I don't know if when we pulled out of ports if we were on the wrong side of ship or busy doing other things. But on this last cruise we were port side in St Maarten there was a Carnival ship docked next to us.

When it was getting close to sail time and the ships were blowing their horns everyone on both ships seemed to be out on the balconies looking out to-wards the security checkpoint coming onto the pier. You'd hear some one scream "WE GOT A RUNNER"

The crowd would go wild as we watched the person bags in tow and usually a wife several yards behind running for the ship. As we got closer to sail time they'd send golf carts out to pick them up, the crowd would go nuts and it was so fun to watch.

One poor soul missed RCCI the golf cart got him up to the employees entrance just as they were pulling up the ramp! He waved to the ship and we figured his wife was going to be one unhappy camper for the rest of the day. Carnival had the last of the runners and we ended up pulling away first so figure that meant we WON!....

We will be sure to always watch this even if our cabin is on the wrong side we will hit the rail on the Lido cause it was just too funny!!! :D

I've never seen that happen, but it sounds hilarious!!!:p

It was quite comical last month on Voyager. We were docked with Enchantment, and there was a steady stream of "interesting" characters heading for both ships. Two college age guys were headed back to enchantment with their buddy in between them. They weren't helping him walk...they were dragging him! His legs weren't moving, and the toes of his shoes were just dragging along the pier! The security chief from Enchantment was over talking to the security chief from Voyager, and just shook his head and headad back over to his line!

Then there were the two college age girls in the sombrero's that were about 3' across...they were still under their own power, but BARELY. There were about a dozen guys walking about 10 yards behind ready to "assist" is needed ;)

Very funny!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope to see that too. Goota love people who let responsibility fall to the wayside. It is funny, we didn't screw up.

It's always a big event when leaving Cozumel to watch the last of the people from carlos 'n charlies stagger/crawl or get carried back on board! For the very last ones running there are usually a few chants of "Run Forest, Run!"

LOL! I think many of us have witnessed this a time or two!! Thank God I was never one of them!!

Well in St Thomas we were also docked by Carnival and when the ship was pulling away there was a lot of cheering we were in the cabin we just thought people were cheering cause we were pulling out. The next day in St Maarten we realized all the cheering was for "THE RUNNERS". I have to say it was entertaining.

Even the runners as they got closer to the ships to board would take bows and raise there fists in the air...it was great.

We saw this in Curacao a couple weeks ago... several "stragglers" making a run for the ship... one was especially funny.. she was about 1/2 way to the gangway... when she turned & started running the other direction..turns out her buddy had a ride for them... a pickup truck drove them out on the pier to the gang way.. we were all yelling & clapping...to funny...

I'm sorry, but if you miss your ship, unless it is the fault of a ship-run excursion being late (or some terrible unforseen accident), then you only have yourself to blame. My 12 year old could get back to the ship on time if he had to, why can't an adult do the same?? It's called a watch, they sell them in every port.;)

I myself hate it when the ship is held in port waiting for potential latecomers. I made it back on time, as did 99% of the passengers, why should one person being irresponsible impact 3,000 other people?

But then again, lateness is my pet peeve, I'm always early, so I just don't get it. For me, if the last time to be back on ship is 5:00pm, I'll be back at 3:45, at the latest. Who wants to deal with all the last minute rush and drama.

And, no doubt, some of these folks believe that they are so important that the ship and 3,000 other passengers should wait for them.

We always watch the show, and you can tell the people with the "attitude", they don't even bother running.

I'm sorry, but if you miss your ship, unless it is the fault of a ship-run excursion being late (or some terrible unforseen accident), then you only have yourself to blame. My 12 year old could get back to the ship on time if he had to, why can't an adult do the same?? It's called a watch, they sell them in every port.;)

I myself hate it when the ship is held in port waiting for potential latecomers. I made it back on time, as did 99% of the passengers, why should one person being irresponsible impact 3,000 other people?

But then again, lateness is my pet peeve, I'm always early, so I just don't get it. For me, if the last time to be back on ship is 5:00pm, I'll be back at 3:45, at the latest. Who wants to deal with all the last minute rush and drama.

Well these ships didn't wait for anyone. I think the only time they wait is if a cruise sponsored shore tour is running late for some reason. I think they told everyone to be on ship by 430 they pulled the ramp up at 5 and we moved away from the dock within minutes. But it was very entertaining,.

I guess I should qualify, I would want to watch people run and "make it" and I'd be rooting them on as well but to see someone not make it would kill me...but I'd be thinking dumb $ss for sure!

Also I was told by Guest Services that if you schedule a tour through the cruise line and it gets you back late they will hold the ship but not if you schduled a tour on the island yourself.

Last time we were in Cozumel (Feb. 08) Carlos & Charlies was all boeaded up. Sad to see.

Jan

He just stood there and waved this was our last port so he would have had to fly home he got back in the golf cart and they drove him down the pier. Watching this made my DH and I realize that taking a photo copy of your passport into port with you isn't a bad idea and not letting one person carry all the important things like id and credit cards. Just imagine if his wife had everything in her bag he'd really be in trouble.

Carry your passport-leave the photocopy on the ship-a photocopy will ONLY help you get yours replaced-NOT get you back into the country if you have to return by air-travelers return by air from the Carribbean need a valid passport. While getting it replaced thru an Embassy or Consulate is possible-its time consuming and expensive.

I'd be laughing myself silly watching this! Last year our cabin faced portside to Cozumel, but I was in the shower when we departed. I missed out on some prime entertainment! (I laugh b/c 99% of the time, these adults are irresponsible and late for departure because of too much time at Carlos & Charley's...no sympathy from me in that case)

I watched young couple miss the ship in St. Martin. I know it's likely their own fault they didn't get back on time, but I was heartbroken for this young lady as she fell to the ground in hysterics when she realized the ship had already pulled out. I didn't think there was anything funny about it.

We saw someone-- we believe-- miss the ship once. It looked sad--not funny. We hadn't left and were already late and the gangplank was down. Suddenly a van pulled up with a few passengers. The ship must of been waiting for them. As soon as they were on board the gangplank went up. Seconds later another van pulled up with 2 couples. They stood on the pier talking on cell phone looking at the ship--Brillance. They did not put the gangplank back down. The women were crying. We were at the last port in Rome. They got in the van and left. The ropes went up and we pulled away. I always wondered what happened to these people. If we had left as scheduled we would of been long gone--so they were very late. We found from other people the times for trains in Italy-- are not consistent and they don't always leave as scheduled. I would never do trains there unless time doesn't matter. I am so glad we booked Claudio at the Italy ports. They were the best. His drivers were constantly checking in and there were other tours nearby. I feel even if we had a flat someone would of picked us up. In addition--We heard the captain and other staff warn passengers at least 3 times--the ship will not wait for you.

Archived