Packing wine...NOT a smuggling question :-)

My daughter will be visiting friends, pre-cruise, and wants to take a bottle of local champagne and a bottle of local wine, as a thank-you for their hospitality.

She is flying United Airlines and according to their website, "...glass bottles must be in a Styrofoam-type insert that is molded to the shape of the bottle and completely encloses the bottle". The actual wording is below. My questions are....has anyone had experience with such a rule? Do you know if they are really strict about using styrofoam? Will they take it away? Or can she get away with using bubblewrap or just wrapping it up in her clothes? Honestly, she is not taking it on the cruise...it is a gift for her friends' hospitality.

Alcoholic beverages

Alcoholic beverages placed in checked baggage must adhere to the following size restrictions and package guidelines.

For all alcoholic beverages:

When placed in checked baggage, glass bottles must be in a Styrofoam-type insert that is molded to the shape of the bottle and completely encloses the bottle Customs regulations outside the U.S. may have additional alcohol transport restrictions

Proofs of alcohol vary. The guidelines for the varied proofs of alcohol are as followed:

Alcoholic beverages – less than 24 percent by volume (48 proof)

Includes most beer and wine

No limit on amount that can be accepted

Alcoholic beverages – 24 to 70 percent by volume (48 - 140 proof)

Covers most alcoholic beverages

Limited to 5 liters (1.3 gallons) per passenger

Alcoholic beverages more than 70 percent by volume (140 proof) are not permitted onboard the aircraft.

Carry-on guidelines

Until further notice, TSA restrictions for carry-on baggage still apply.

:cool: I'd just bubble wrap it, put it into a plastic bag, wrap it in the middle of your CHECKED bag, and let it go. Many times in the old days (when bottles could be brought aboard) this is what I did. No Problem:cool:

Thanks for your reply.

That's what I used to do too, but with security and rules being so much tighter she was concerned that the airline take it from her bag if it wasn't specifically wrapped in styrofoam packaging.

As its turned out, it wasn't as difficult a situation as she thought. She discovered that BevMo has exactly what she needs to wrap it according to United's rules.

The only time I remember reading here about someone having an issue with alcohol and United, it was flying through LAX. The agent asked them if they had any alcohol in there luggage and how was it packaged. They were made to remove the bottles from there luggage.

Having said that, my husband flies United constantly for business. He frequently buys wine in Sonoma and puts it in his checked luggage flying out of SFO. He doesn't have it in styrofoam, just the boxes from the vineyard.

I guess it depends on the airport and the check-in agent.

The only time I remember reading here about someone having an issue with alcohol and United, it was flying through LAX. The agent asked them if they had any alcohol in there luggage and how was it packaged. They were made to remove the bottles from there luggage.

Having said that, my husband flies United constantly for business. He frequently buys wine in Sonoma and puts it in his checked luggage flying out of SFO. He doesn't have it in styrofoam, just the boxes from the vineyard.

She is flying out of San Luis Obispo, to SFO, then to Seattle. She decided to not take the chance and get the styrofoam things.

Thanks for your reply.

I remember reading that post, at least two months ago if not more. If I recall correctly, they had to leave it behind as the bottles were not packed in styrofoam.

As for putting it in packed luggage, not sure if I would do that. A couple of years ago, a friend sent me, by air, 3 bottles of wine packed by the winery, and the corks came out due to the lack of pressure in the hold. I also know of one person who took a bottle in his luggage, and ended up with the same problem--the cork popped out. But, maybe these days the holds are pressurized? I don't know. Best bet is to check with the carrier.

Archived