one bag?

Frosty 77

With all of the talk about airlines charging for checked baggage, here is a site that may come in handy: http://www.onebag.com/.

I am a notorious overpacker. I don't know if I can do it, but I am glad to be flying Southwest!!!!!!

I've been traveling with a 22" roll-on-board for 20 years. Was a tour manager/cruise host for a long time and a very frequent traveler. I've lived for a month out of that suitcase - with a laundromat once in a while.

I'm not a clothes horse and pack pretty much the same things all the time with a little variation depending upon weather, destination, etc....but if it ALL doesn't go into that suitcase, it stays home.

I have a small carryon for odds and ends like a book, camera, snacks, journal, makeup -- small things.

There is such freedom in not having to lug a coupla suitcases around. You don't need all that stuff...you don't need bungee cords and power strips, your own coffee cups, bottles of water, cans of soda, containers of alcohol. You don't need spray disinfectant, handi-wipes, over-the-door shoe thingies.

You only need 3 pair of shoes; a nice basic dress shoe for "fancy evenings", a pair of sandals for the deck and a pair of walking shoes. For formal nights, if you want to dress, a basic black skirt or slacks with 2 dressy tops is fine....don't need to take the Dior gown. If you pack carefully and coordinate your travel clothes, you can get 2 days wear in most cases. What you wear for dinner one night might be worn ashore the next day.

Do you really need that gazillion watt hairdryer? Most ships already have one for your convenience. It isn't a gazillion watts - it might take you longer - but look at the space you save. Do you really need that travel steamer? Not if you pack wrinkle-resistant clothing or use the irons provided onboard.

There are lots of ways to cut down on luggage....sometimes you have to sacrifice fashion for economy.

I've been traveling with a 22" roll-on-board for 20 years. Was a tour manager/cruise host for a long time and a very frequent traveler. I've lived for a month out of that suitcase - with a laundromat once in a while.

I agree... no need for a lot of STUFF people insist on taking.

We have done long cruises with 2 X 22" bag about 50lbs total...this year we did take 2 X 26" bags for a month cruise & a month land holiday but the ship has a laundry room & I am not afraid to use it!!:D

I admire your ability to pack in a rolling suitcase!! I wish all cruiselines had laundromats on them. As of today American Airlines will be charging $15 for the FIRST BAG checked... that's an extra $30 per couple that no one intended to pay! DD and I are strategizing as to how we can pack just 22 inchers for Europe (for 13 days). Mostly black and white clothes and micro-fiber (drip dry :) ) undies; we'll fly in our heavy jacket and do the best we can with what we can bring ... no power strips or coffee mugs on this cruise. (though I have to admit when we drive to the port I take a wee bit too much...)

I will NEVER sacrifice fashion for anything! Pack away, I say!

I consider myself pretty fashionable and for years have cruised with only a 24" suitcase and a carry on, including a 12-day Med cruise plus 3 days in Rome. That includes formal wear and shoes. If you pack smart, it's not that tough.

I do take exception to AA charging even for one bag. I realize their decision is to protect the business traveler, but really....it's the principle of the thing. Somehow, one suitcase seems like an inalienable right!!

I almost always just have a carryon; it's worth washing a small load of laundry to avoid the hassle of checking in luggage and worrying if it gets lost or stolen, etc. This trip I have alot of khaki, blue and purple, so I can mix and match. My dining room clothes are light summer dresses, no formals for me. I'm also going to try the space saver travel bags, the ones that you roll clothes in to save space. Wish me luck.

I admire your ability to pack in a rolling suitcase!! I wish all cruiselines had laundromats on them. As of today American Airlines will be charging $15 for the FIRST BAG checked... that's an extra $30 per couple that no one intended to pay! DD and I are strategizing as to how we can pack just 22 inchers for Europe (for 13 days).

The fee is only on domestic flights so far.

https://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?anchorLocation=index.jhtml&repositoryId=16075429&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada

We have done month long cruises with a 22 " rollaboard each and small carry -on;)

I will NEVER sacrifice fashion for anything! Pack away, I say!

The amount of clothing a person packs has nothing to do with how much they pack or don't pack. It's all in the correct choice of pieces. Total slobs can pack a heavy bag, filled with sloppy clothing. The best dressed person onboard a cruise ship can be one who manages in one small case.

Pack smarter and easier, I say ;)

Archived