PG activities for non swimmers?

bev'sid

Hi,

Thank you for all of the great information you are all sharing on this board daily! So, so happy to have found it...and all of you! :)

We are really excited to be going on our first PG cruise in Tahiti, and my DH & DS are looking forward to diving & snorkeling their way through all the wonderful stops. I've been reading about all the great water activities, but also have read, quite a few times, that there is not too much going on onboard the PG -- crowded pool area, very small gym, just ok spa, etc.

Soooo, my question is, as a non swimmer (terrified actually of being in open water -- as opposed to ON it in a ship, lol), will I have stuff to do?? Of course there is the beautiful atmosphere to soak up, but what onboard activities or excursions have people done that don't require swimming/diving, etc.??

Thanks for any advice -- looks like there may be a lecture or two?

:confused:

One of my memorable non-swimming excursions was on the Dr. Poole Dolphin Tour. We saw lots of dolphins and the boat ride was nice too. Gave us plenty of opportunities to take pictures of the islands form the water. Dr. Poole gave a very informative talk as well. His boat has a canvas canopy on it also to help keep the scorching Tahiti sun off. Editing to add a link to Dr. Poole. Says on his website that you may see whales too.....but we never did.

http://www.drmichaelpoole.com/

Pat

There's lots to do for non-swimmers, although the specifics depends on the itinerary. Do you have sea days, or not?

On land, there are jeep tours of many islands, as well as bus tours. There is the dolphin tour that Pat mentioned, it's great if you like wildlife. There are hikes on Moorea. Glass bottom boat rides.

There's the motu day at Taha'a as well. You can sit in the shade and sip a cool drink and soak up the tropical loveliness of it all. And if you want to venture in the water, it is very shallow there, and you can wade up to your waist and watch the fish swim around you.

On Bora Bora you can just go ashore and wander through the little town and shop.

On board, there are lectures about the culture and history of Polynesia. There are deck-side performances, demonstrations and parties. The poolside isn't that terrible, and there are nice places to sit and walk, the open deck at the back of La Palette, and the open deck 9, portside. Shade is an issue, so take cover-ups.

A couple of comments for non-swimmers. Almost all of the areas where the snorkeling expeditions take place have water no more that about 4' deep. And they are areas within the reef so the water is calm. The water is very warm and salty, which makes it very very difficult to sink, even if you want to! Moreover, blow-up flotation vests are furnished on each such excursion.

If excursions such as described above are not for you, there are plenty of land alternatives. But I have seen many "non-swimmers" who take the PG fall in love with these snorkeling expeditions.

This definitely gives me something to go on. We are doing the 7 night, society islands, so no sea days, and I was getting worried about finding things to do on my own -- must be having abandonment issues, lol!

But thanks for the great suggestions! And as for the snorkeling options, maybe I will actually get my nerve up to venture in....!

:eek:

bev

I second the recommendation that you take along reef shoes even though you think you are not going in the water. You may change your mind. There are lots of opportunities to go in the water only waist deep and you can see alot of sea life in shallow water especially at Motu Mahana.

If you are planning to go on Dr. Poole's excursion on Moorea, you might want to take him some Zatarain's Jambalaya mix or seafood boil. He will undoubtedly appreciate it.

As to the Mushroom Patch dive, I guess your experience may vary. We were on a big canoe and while the weather was not so good, it was my first time seeing wide spread crown of thorn infestation and what happens to the reef when they arrive. I also prefer to dive with Dominique and the PG staff but with my limited experience, any dive is a good dive, I guess.

On Bora Bora and Mooorea you can just take the tender to the island and walk around, my wife seamed to enjoy doing that while I was underwater. Les Gaugines have some kind of demonstration or activity just about every day, also.

Archived