LIVE from RADIANCE in KETCHIKAN

Good morning, good morning, good morning from beautiful Ketchikan Alaska! It is 6am local time, the bright sun is out and it's about 64 degrees. Shaping up to be a really nice day...

Just some quick notes on Alaska for those who may be curious...

> Weather has been incredible so far.

> The ship left Friday from Vancouver. Mostly cloudy and in the 60s.

> The weather the day before in YVR was partly sunny and in the high 60s.

> Yesterday's Inside Passage / Day at Sea was like sailing to Bermuda. Sunny and mid 60s. I was at the pool with sunscreen on. Just stay out of the cool wind. :)

> Several whale and dolphin sightings as we sailed yesterday. Nothing spectacular, but still very cool.

> Not sure how long the weather will last, and I certainly don't expect it to, but it's a nice treat for now.

> Plenty of snow on the mountains as we sail by.

Other notes in general...

> Customs line in YVR after deplaning was easily 250+. Took an hour to clear. Not fun after 6 hours of flying. Just depends on how many planes arrive at the same time, I guess.

> YVR is a beautiful city. Come early. Bike the sea wall at Stanley Park.

> Radiance is in decent shape. No real signs of the drydock - just a few patches of carpeting replaced here and there. Mostly behind the scenes work.

> Crew is very friendly.

> Pax are mostly older, but not super-fossils. Just a few kids.

> Hi Ron and Pat! Reyno says hello! Wish you were here!

Well, time to get back out there!

Patrick........thanks for the update!

We were on an early season Alaska B2B on the Mercury in '01 and we had 13 days of sun.........60's and some days in the 70's with only a partial day of rain.

I hope the weather continues to be beautiful for you. Alaska on sunny days is awesome!!

Rick

Good morning, good morning, good morning to you too! :)

Very nice report, sounds like you are off to a great start on the Radiance and Alaska....two of my favorite things about cruising!!

We had encountered the same customs in '02 when we arrived in YVR .....just one huge mob of people and slow moving lines! I just some things just don't change.

Hope your weather continues to hold out for you and you enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Enjoy!!

Good morning, good morning, good morning from beautiful Ketchikan Alaska! It is 6am local time, the bright sun is out and it's about 64 degrees. Shaping up to be a really nice day...

> Yesterday's Inside Passage / Day at Sea was like sailing to Bermuda. Sunny and mid 60s. I was at the pool with sunscreen on. Just stay out of the cool wind. :)

> Several whale and dolphin sightings as we sailed yesterday. Nothing spectacular, but still very cool.

> Not sure how long the weather will last, and I certainly don't expect it to, but it's a nice treat for now.

> Customs line in YVR after deplaning was easily 250+. Took an hour to clear. Not fun after 6 hours of flying. Just depends on how many planes arrive at the same time, I guess.

> Radiance is in decent shape. No real signs of the drydock - just a few patches of carpeting replaced here and there. Mostly behind the scenes work.

> Crew is very friendly.

Hope that is not a hit and run and you continue to post, especially about the weather.

Today in 2009 we will arrive in Fairbanks and it is good to read about some 64F (while not in Fairbanks, still).

Keep posting, you got one interested reader here.

:)

Oh, just the mention of cool weather brought back memories of our Alaska trip last June - absolute perfect weather! I know I shouldn't complain about our hot Texas weather right now, but Alaska sure sounds really good at this point..... We hope to get back June of 2010! Keep the reports coming :)

Hello GMoney, Thanks for your post, we are glad you are having a great cruise. We did the Alaska members cruise last year on the Radiance and had a great time.

If you have time could let us know who the LA is?

Thanks

> Crew is very friendly.

Wonderful!! Please keep posting. We leave in less than 2 weeks for our cruisetour. The weather info is great!! Have fun!:)

We sail July 4, and are getting sooo excited! Glad to hear you are having a great time. When you return, would love to see the Cruise Compasses and/or menus....any info would be greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful trip!

Patrick, please tell Reyno that all the "Special Polar Bears" send their love! We miss him, but are glad he is back on the Radiance! Ask him to see our group picture!

If you see the picture, I am the one with the CC visor:D ...Have a wonderful time...Later, Jill:cool:

Patrick, please tell Reyno that all the "Special Polar Bears" send their love! We miss him, but are glad he is back on the Radiance! Ask him to see our group picture!

Hi Patrick...............tell Reyno hello from Patti and Jim........more Polar Bears. Tell him we look forward to seeing him in September.

FL_Cruiser64: Gweedo is my sister and there are 4 of us sailing on the Radiance with the pre-cruisetour #12. Cruisetour starts on 6-8 and we board the Radiance for the southbound cruise on 6-13. Can't wait!

GMoney: Keep the updates coming and enjoy your cruise!

We sail July 4, and are getting sooo excited! Glad to hear you are having a great time. When you return, would love to see the Cruise Compasses and/or menus....any info would be greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful trip!

Hi Ruth, I will be on the Radiance with you in July. We have not heard from you lately on the Roll Call. I hope you have signed up for the Meet & Mingle. We are looking forward to a great time. See you in July.

GMoney thanks for the update. I hope the weather smiles on us in July. Last year it was chilly from Ketchikan north.

Teresa

I see you are doing a southbound from Seward: Which cruise tour?

We are doing #12 which starts in Anchorage on the 8th. I am really looking forward to this vacation. Are you going to be on #12 also? or on the Radiance?:)

Hello GMoney, Thanks for your post, we are glad you are having a great cruise. We did the Alaska members cruise last year on the Radiance and had a great time.

If you have time could let us know who the LA is?

Thanks

Mary Ann

I will be sure to ask him. :) He is doing a great job.

We are doing #12 which starts in Anchorage on the 8th. I am really looking forward to this vacation. Are you going to be on #12 also? or on the Radiance?:)

Hi - No cruisetour for me. I'm doing the land portion independently. Have a great time!

Ketchikan was a huge success. The clear, sunny, warm weather held up for the entire day. All of the locals were out enjoying it. My kayak excursion was good, but nothing to write home about.

Re-embarkation lines were ridiculously long. Glad it wasn't raining!

Only 1 other ship in port - 7 Seas Mariner.

More whale and dolphin sightings as we sailed away.

Tonight's weather is foggy and some chop - more Alaska-like. Hopefully things will be nice in Juneau!

We met Matt Yee today. What a hoot.

Thank you all for your nice posts.

Archived