Air fares WOW!

milolii

Well we knew this would happen. We know we are all paying for it at the pump, so it makes sense the airfares would go up. Air fares through the roof. The fares do go down after Labor Day. Anyone here have any tips/sites to get from CA over to Hawaii for under $1000.00 this summer?

Well we knew this would happen. We know we are all paying for it at the pump, so it makes sense the airfares would go up. Air fares through the roof. The fares do go down after Labor Day. Anyone here have any tips/sites to get from CA over to Hawaii for under $1000.00 this summer?

:eek: I'm not surprised. Last time I checked, fares were more than $800 from all the central coast regionals. If it's $1000 from LAX (or other large So Ca hub), I don't even want to think about how much it would be from the regionals. Guess we should see about how to go about sprouting wings so we can fly ourselves!:p

Nothing like ensuring that we don't blow our budget on foolish things like visits to Hawaii.:(

beachchick

:eek: I'm not surprised. Last time I checked, fares were more than $800 from all the central coast regionals. If it's $1000 from LAX (or other large So Ca hub), I don't even want to think about how much it would be from the regionals. Guess we should see about how to go about sprouting wings so we can fly ourselves!:p

Nothing like ensuring that we don't blow our budget on foolish things like visits to Hawaii.:(

beachchick

Aloha Beachchick, yes, how foolish of us!

If you fly out of LAX and return midweek (Tuesday or Wednesday) to HNL the fares will be much better than on the weekends. There were several rt fares below $750. SFO should be similar.

After watching fares go up & up (and nearly purchasing on ATA the night before they went belly up) :eek: , we finally bit the bullet and booked our flights for the week prior to Christmas. We actually fly home on the evening of Christmas, which did save a few dollars, but not much. Christmas USED to be the cheapest day to fly, until someone let it out of the bag. We paid $845 each out of SFO to Kona.... but the good thing is that they are both non-stops with excellent arrival & departure times. These same flights on United were 500+ before ATA bailed. Then they went up & up & up. They went up every week, so we decided just to get them. :rolleyes:

We understand that we are traveling at high season, etc. And we knew we were going to go no matter what. But, we did purchase travel insurance for this one... $2500 worth of tickets needed to be protected. We will just spend more time snorkeling, etc. I am saving up points in my MyPoints.com account and will turn those points into gas cards before we go.

Everything has gone up. When I booked our rental car in February, I secured a Midsize for $234 for the 8 days, total. Now that same car is nearly $600 for the 8 days. I am glad I booked early on that one. :rolleyes:

I just purchased, on Sat, a nonstop flight from Newark, NJ to Honolulu with Continental for $600. I had been watching this flight for a while now & before this I saw it as low as $634 & as high as $760, so not all the flights are high.

You just have to be flexible. We are in NY with four airports closer to us than Newark, but Newark was the only one with a nonstop & the nonstop was the cheapest. Go figure.

Best of luck!

There was a special deal yesterday on United Airline website for anyone flying out of New York or Newark or Houston, Monday through Thursday round trip Sept '08 through Feb '09 I think. Believe it or not, the fare was only $274. pp round trip. Some dates were sold out, but you can try and see what you can find. The days and locations were very specific however. Good Luck!

Yep, it's crazy-making for those of us on the west coast because there are more specials to Hawaii from the east coast. There are sometimes specials from the west, but not nearly as often as people think and not nearly at the discounts we often read about for easterly airports. Basically, it usually costs us more to fly to Florida to cruise and it usually costs us more to fly to Hawaii.

beachchick

If you fly out of LAX and return midweek (Tuesday or Wednesday) to HNL the fares will be much better than on the weekends. There were several rt fares below $750. SFO should be similar.

Have not seen that one. We actually fly to Kona, but will check that out. Mahalo for the tip.

After watching fares go up & up (and nearly purchasing on ATA the night before they went belly up) :eek: , we finally bit the bullet and booked our flights for the week prior to Christmas. We actually fly home on the evening of Christmas, which did save a few dollars, but not much. Christmas USED to be the cheapest day to fly, until someone let it out of the bag. We paid $845 each out of SFO to Kona.... but the good thing is that they are both non-stops with excellent arrival & departure times. These same flights on United were 500+ before ATA bailed. Then they went up & up & up. They went up every week, so we decided just to get them. :rolleyes:

We understand that we are traveling at high season, etc. And we knew we were going to go no matter what. But, we did purchase travel insurance for this one... $2500 worth of tickets needed to be protected. We will just spend more time snorkeling, etc. I am saving up points in my MyPoints.com account and will turn those points into gas cards before we go.

Everything has gone up. When I booked our rental car in February, I secured a Midsize for $234 for the 8 days, total. Now that same car is nearly $600 for the 8 days. I am glad I booked early on that one. :rolleyes:

Yes, I saw the increase in rental cars,too. Christmas in Kona, Mele Kalikimaka!

Hi all... we are not going to Hawaii ( darn ) but we are going to Panama in February. For us to fly from Raleigh , North Carolina to Fort Lauderdale, Delta wants $ 550.00 !!!!:mad: My sisiter in LA booked hers from LA R/T to FLL for $ 220.00 when they first starting booking for February.... We are waiting for Southwest to start booking for February in the hopes of getting a lower price. That is just crazy !! It is less than a 2 hour flight ....

Yes, I saw the increase in rental cars,too. Christmas in Kona, Mele Kalikimaka!

The last time we were there it was just after Christmas on our cruise. And we didn't have much time in port. I am really looking forward to being there leading up to Christmas so we can see all of the decorations. DH is going to think I am nuts when I want to pull into a nice hotel to see their lobby! :D

Hi all... we are not going to Hawaii ( darn ) but we are going to Panama in February. For us to fly from Raleigh , North Carolina to Fort Lauderdale, Delta wants $ 550.00 !!!!:mad: My sisiter in LA booked hers from LA R/T to FLL for $ 220.00 when they first starting booking for February.... We are waiting for Southwest to start booking for February in the hopes of getting a lower price. That is just crazy !! It is less than a 2 hour flight ....

I know what you mean.... it's crazy that east coasters are getting better deals than those of us in California. I don't begrudge them of that benefit. I just don't get it. Just when I talk DH into flying for vacation, air goes crazy! We are flying to San Juan NEXT December, and I can only imagine that our flights will probably cost more than our cruise! This will be the one time that I am going to consider booking air thru RCCL. With how volitile the airlines are, securing with the airline seems to be the prudent thing to do... and then I will search for airfare on my own up to cancellation date. :rolleyes:

I booked our airfare through Carnival as well for our 9/09 cruise. I was told it would not be increased. The cruise ships buy a limited amount of air reservations and once they are gone, that's it. If I found a cheaper fare before my final payment is due, I can always drop Carnival's air, but I have a feeling I won't find it any cheaper. We are flying from Ohio to Vancouver and from Honolulu back to Ohio, and I got the airfare for $739pp. + airport fee of $101pp.

MissMet: What is the time frame for your Hawaii flight. I just checked on Continental's site and it is almost $1000 pp rt from Newark for 3/09. Last year when I booked for 01/08 I paid around $600 pp. Did you get your tickets from Continental?

John L.

hey I was saving up mypoints for gas during out trip too, I just got $30 in cards which i know is just a drop in the bucket but every little bit helps. I thought I was so clever, lol

We booked our air through Carnival fro 4-09 hawaii trip. After looking at airfares online I think we got a good deal. Is there any chance that Carnival will change our price? Anyone had that happen?

I don't think Carnival can or will change your airfare...they have a contract w/ you.

Steve

hey I was saving up mypoints for gas during out trip too, I just got $30 in cards which i know is just a drop in the bucket but every little bit helps. I thought I was so clever, lol

I use the HECK out of my MyPoints account since I got it way back when. One year it was tough going at Christmas and I used it for Target gift cards. When I used to travel to SLC every year, I used it for Marriott Gift Certificates to pay for my hotel. I was saving up points to pay for our hotel in San Juan next December. But decided to use them for gas this year and book our hotel for San Juan on Priceline.... Before I buy anything online, I look to see if I can get points thru MyPoints. Even my Priceline bookings earn points! And ebay too!

Have a great trip!

We are cruising to Hawaii untill next April. But the rising fuel costs makes me nervous and our airline tickets. Our dates are just now visible to a price we can barely afford, but is $300 more than the same interary (for another date) I checked out 6 weeks ago. Is it likely the prices will go down any at all? Is there a certain time they lower them temporarily? I want to make them now, but my husband wants to watch the prices. I'm afraid we'll just watch them go higher and never see this price again. We will fly out of Charlotte and are looking at 1 stop both ways. What do you guys think about waiting a while and hoping the price will come down even more? How often do you check?

Louise45...It's just guesswork, but I think no-one foresees any decrease in fuel prices in the future. Today's deals are likely the best you'll see.

Sorry, Steve

We booked our flights on 5/21 since prices kept rising. I just checked and in 10 days they have gone up $100 per person for the same flights (Now almost $950 pp). I am glad I bought them when I did. But, I wish I had bought them when they were closer to $500 pp. Now, we are traveling the week before Christmas so it IS high season. But it is just and real-life comparison for you.

I am so glad I listened to you guys instead of my DH. I went ahead and make the airlines reservations Saturday night and the exact flights went up $192 over night! And this is for 11 1/2 months from now! He was glad too when I showed him. No telling how many hundreds I just saved if I had waited, say a few months. Thanks.

Stressful, isn't it? I am glad you got in at the lower price!

You can continue to watch prices. If they go down, you can often call and they will issue you a future flight credit in the amount of the difference. Although, these days they may be curbing that offer too. :rolleyes:

We bought our airfare tickets in March before we booked our cruise. We plan to leave on Thursday with the ship leaving on Saturday. Now the airline has changed our flight from Madison -Chicago to Madison-Dallas. We will be getting to Honolulu 2 hours later than we originally planned. They have already changed our departure time from Honolulu 3 times! We will wait to book a hotel room until much later in case we don't need a room on Thursday pm.:eek:

Archived