Tracy Arm Fjord Cruise

katolb90

Hi all. What's a good company for the day cruise to Tracy Arm out of Juneau? Is Juneau the best location to go from? I just read a post about all the waterfalls you can see in Tracy Fjord so now I might have to change my Juneau plans around. I love waterfalls. Leaving for Vancouver Thursday!

katolb90 - You may want to call Adventure Bound to see if they have a second departure - I'm in Juneau on June 24th and have booked their second departure leaving at 9AM. I don't think they run two cruises all the time but it's worth a call to find out if they have a later departure the day you are in port.

When we were there a few years ago, on NCL, they had an excursion for Tracy Arm where you went on a small boat out of Juneau, saw Tracy Arm and transferred to the NCL ship in Tracy Arm Fjord.

I wish I would have known about it before - I would have done that for sure!

If you are going on the NCL Star or Sun you CAN do the Tracy Arm . It is not listed online you have to call to book it, when the ship leaves port at 1 :15 they go left up the inside and and the Tracy Arm people board a smaller boat and go right then 5 hours later we meet back at the ship. We get the up close view. It is only for the Sun & Star

If you are going on the NCL Star or Sun you CAN do the Tracy Arm . It is not listed online you have to call to book it, when the ship leaves port at 1 :15 they go left up the inside and and the Tracy Arm people board a smaller boat and go right then 5 hours later we meet back at the ship. We get the up close view. It is only for the Sun & Star

HUH?? The cruiseship goes the same route as the Allen Marine jet boat. Only a LOT slower.

I've seen this tour listed on the online shore excursions list.

Frugal is right, it's not on the web site. I called NCL and got the same info. It leaves 15 minutes before the ship and meets up with the ship 5 hours later.

We're debating if we should take it. The star leaves Juneau at 1:30.

Frugal is right, it's not on the web site. I called NCL and got the same info. It leaves 15 minutes before the ship and meets up with the ship 5 hours later.

We're debating if we should take it. The star leaves Juneau at 1:30.

OK photos speak louder than any of my words. I put together this photo sample. This sailing of the Sun, was the first time, last season, it got within view of the South Sawyer glacier- which was the week of July 22. And- the photo, taken with a normal lens, was the ClOSEST it got. Now you decide how you want to see the sights??? The cruiseship passengers didn't see the wildlife either. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

We did this tour about 4 years ago on the Sun. There was one poster last summer who was upset after taking this tour, as she didn't realize that the NCL ship and the excursion boat DO follow the same route. You get much better views of the scenery and wildlife, and normally get MUCH closer to the Sawyer Glaciers at the end of the fjord from the catamaran -- but the passengers on the ship will be seeing the same basic scenery that you will.

The catamaran leaves Juneau shortly before the cruise ship does, and goes much faster on it's way to Tracy Arm. We were lucky enough to see whales on our way, which is not guaranteed, but there's enough time built into the schedule that we were able to stop and whale watch two separate times for probably close to an hour total. Then you head up into the fjord, taking time to see the waterfalls and gorgeous scenerey.

We were lucky enough that the catamaran was able to "crunch" through the ice and see both North and South Sawyer glaciers. The passengers on the cruise ship were iced out of North Sawyer, but had a fairly good view of South Sawyer. From our much closer vantage point, we could see all the seals that were laying on the icebergs in front South Sawyer. It was one of the most awe-inspiring excursions I've ever done, as a mother seal gave birth not far from our catamaran. Then we pulled back alongside the Sun and tendered back onto the cruise ship.

As you can tell :D , I higly recommend this excursion -- but you do need to be aware that the ship will follow the same route the catamaran takes.

OK photos speak louder than any of my words. I put together this photo sample. This sailing of the Sun, was the first time, last season, it got within view of the South Sawyer glacier- which was the week of July 22. And- the photo, taken with a normal lens, was the ClOSEST it got. Now you decide how you want to see the sights??? The cruiseship passengers didn't see the wildlife either. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Nice pix BQ - and you had a mostly bright clear day too. We hope to do Tracy Arm soon - had our fill of Hubbard.

Archived