Elation vs. Radiance - need help deciding

bdlee73

Hello,

I am in the early stages of planning a 4 or 5 nt cruise for 2009. Due to price, length of trip and port tlocation, I have narrowed my choices down to the Elation or Radiance out of San Diego to Baja. Here is my Dillema: do I book an Oceanview on the Elation 5nt for about $400 each or spring for a balcony for $480 each on the Radiance, but lose a port and a day. What would you do?

CCL provides more bang for the buck, but the Radiance looks like a beauty, has wow factor that the Elation is lacking, and we have always wanted to get a balcony on a cruise. To complicate the issue more, I was underwhelmed by my last RCCL cruise on the Sovereign (food and service) while CCL has always been a blast and the food very good. Anyways, I tend to suffer from analysis paralysis, so I'd like the thoughts and suggestions of the community. What should I do?

We have sailed Elation, and really liked her. We were in Cat. 11 suite.

We are booked for Sept. 30, 2009 on Radiance. I jumped at the chance to go on this ship.

The extra port day is in Ensenada, I think. We live in San Diego, and IMO

Ensenada isn't worth the stop.

That said, I would sail Elation again, but I am excited for Radiance.

Pat

I love the Elation (as you can see from my signature) and am glad she's back in SoCal. I hope we'll be able to take a cruise on her next year (bonus time). As you can see I'm a little biased, so knowing that, I say go on the Elation. If I'm reading your OP right, you can go for an extra day for $80 less. It's a no brainer for me. I know a balcony sounds great, and we're going to be in a balcony room for the first time in Aug. (93 days, but who's counting?) but that extra day is, IMHO, the biggest selling point. Heck, I think 7 days is to short, but that's a different post. I haven't looked up the Radiance, she probably one of the mega ships, but again, IMHO, I like the smaller ships. Sure you don't have a ice rink, or a rock wall, but they are just as nice and in some ways better. Some people will disagree, but its all a matter of perception. Maybe if I had cruised on one of the mega ships the first time I would feel deferent, but being that the Elation was my first, I believe I have a preference for her and the Fantasy class ships. As to the extra port, I've also did the wine tour in Ensenada, and enjoyed it. I also did the blow hole tour, it was okay. One more thing, if you take the Elation, check out one of the dining platforms off the buffet dining room aft, behind the bar or pizza place. It's a great place to hang, read, relax, drink, eat and watch the ocean. Enjoy your cruise and keep us posted.;) I know I'll keep an eye out for it.

Hello,

I am in the early stages of planning a 4 or 5 nt cruise for 2009. Due to price, length of trip and port tlocation, I have narrowed my choices down to the Elation or Radiance out of San Diego to Baja. Here is my Dillema: do I book an Oceanview on the Elation 5nt for about $400 each or spring for a balcony for $480 each on the Radiance, but lose a port and a day. What would you do?

CCL provides more bang for the buck, but the Radiance looks like a beauty, has wow factor that the Elation is lacking, and we have always wanted to get a balcony on a cruise. To complicate the issue more, I was underwhelmed by my last RCCL cruise on the Sovereign (food and service) while CCL has always been a blast and the food very good. Anyways, I tend to suffer from analysis paralysis, so I'd like the thoughts and suggestions of the community. What should I do?

ELATION

Thank you for your responses! I posted the same question on the RCCL boards and they are pasionately for booking the Radiance of the Seas which makes the decision tough. I'll keep monitoring the boards for all of your thoughts and opinions.

I have sailed on Radiance three times and she is my FAVORITE ship! The staff really make her special, plus she is such a lovely ship.

The Windjammer Cafe is run extremely well, the specialty restaurants are terrific. Dining room food is good (not great), but service is warm, friendly and accomodating.

Probably the best thing about Radiance is that you never feel crowded.

I have not sailed on Elation, but have been on Fascination and Imagination and Victory. I much prefer the decor to RCI. Carnival is going to have a larger, more comfortable cabin, but not by that much.

I hate that Radiance is not coming back to do Caribbean sailings next year. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and it was so easy to go on her. She is the perfect size. Plenty of ammenties without feeling like cattle.

Good luck and I hope you have fun whichever you choose. I'm sure you will have a good time either way.

tim

Well I have sailed the Elation, and I really enjoyed her. I have also sailed a Radiance class vessel, and thought it was absolutely gorgeous. The reason why I ended up choosing the Radiance in Oct 2009 over the Elation was due to balcony availability. I wanted a good priced Balcony, and Radiance was only $599 for the 5 day vs $839 for the Elation since you have to get a Category 11 to have a balcony. Had I been choosing an inside or oceanview, I would have went with Carnival. OV on CCL was 399 and inside 339... OV on Radiance was 499, inside 399. Neither one in my opinion provides something so much better, that I would choose to pay that much of a higher price for virtually the same itinerary.

Whatever you choose, you will have a great time.

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this response, so I'm going to don my flame-retardant suit as soon as I'm done typing.

First of all, I LOVE Carnival (look at my cruise history and you'll see that I've sailed on Carnival exclusively during the last 4 years). However, I have some friends who sailed on the Elation a few weeks ago and they said that the fellow passengers left a lot to be desired (some may have read my post about a group of passengers with a boombox and coolers in the pool area). My friends said that although they enjoyed the cruise, these passengers along with other passengers that they came across during their 5 day cruise prevented them from enjoying the cruise as much as they would've with their behavior, dining room etiquette, and overall rudeness.

I know that anybody can find bad behavior, terrible ettiquette, or rudeness on ANY cruise or cruise line, but the price that a sailing commands many times determines the type of fellow passengers that you will find onboard. With that said, if the Radiance is more money for less days, chances are that you will also find a group of passengers on this ship that are looking for something more than the absolute cheapest cruise experience.

Looking back at all the cruises that I've taken on Carnival, the worst cruise I ever took was on the Sensation, which coincidentally, was the cheapest one we've ever taken. With that said, cheaper is not always better.

About your experience on the Sovereign, comparing it to the Radiance will be like comparing the Fantasy to the Spirit. Same cruise line, different product.

I would do the Radiance, especially if you're someone who enjoys the comfort of a balcony stateroom. Although people have their opinion about spending extra on a stateroom, you should pick the type of stateroom that you will be happy with (within your budget). If I could have a balcony for only $80 more pp, I would take it even if it means sailing for one day less. Just my opinion....

Archived