vacinations needed?

jetstorm

My family will be on the Dec. 20th sailing of the Statendam with stops in Santo Tomas (Guatemala), and Belize City, Belize. How can I find out if we need vacinations like for Yellow Fever? I haven' seen anything on my documents so far about this, but wish to make sure well in advance.

You can also check with a travel clinic -- a clinic that specializes in travel medicine. They can tell you exactly what you need or do not need -- and you share your medical history with them to determine if there is something that for you might be contraindicated.

There are certain immunizations that folks who travel a lot should consider whether or not required (like tetanus, hepatitis A and hepatitis B) but any of that needs to be determined by qualified medical personnel.

We are booked on the Statendam's 26 day cruise in Nov. (voyage of the Incas). HAL requires this shot before boarding.

Chot

Chot, I am assuming you are going to many other ports than just the two I listed, right, and that may be the difference in whether shots are needed. I think I was reading your roll call and that's what got me wondering about my cruise.

I know I needed a yellow fever shot for Guatemala in 2006. HAL was the one that told my TA I needed it. A lot a great information is on this board but personally I think it would be best to contact an authority on the subject just to be sure.

I know I needed a yellow fever shot for Guatemala in 2006. HAL was the one that told my TA I needed it. A lot a great information is on this board but personally I think it would be best to contact an authority on the subject just to be sure.

Thank you and I'll definitely contact an athority as you suggested.

Just to be absolutely sure, I just checked on the CDC site and for stops in Belize and Guatemala (unless traveling from other invected countries) no vacinations are needed.

That is great....I wonder what has changed. I'm glad you did check officially. I wouldn't like it if someone had issues upon boarding because they were not prepared:) . Have an excellent cruise. I'll be on the Statendam just before you. We will try to leave it in one piece:D .

In my experience with HAL if your cruise plans a port that requires a vaccination, HAL informs you and/or your travel agent of the requirement, and then the requirement is checked by HAL personnel upon boarding -- in these cases failure to have all passengers properly vaccinated could prevent the ship from clearing authorities at the port in question.

It is still, however, always wise to check out your itinerary with the CDC and/or a travel clinic for suggested inoculations that may or may not be requirements, but would none-the-less be wise to have before you travel. It is better to be safe than to get sick.

That is great....I wonder what has changed. I'm glad you did check officially. I wouldn't like it if someone had issues upon boarding because they were not prepared:) . Have an excellent cruise. I'll be on the Statendam just before you. We will try to leave it in one piece:D .

Lorekauf,

It's so nice of you to make sure you leave the ship in shape for us. I've read where sometimes people who've had the cabin before you leave things like unused drink cards, of course you most likely won't have the same cabin as us, but if you think of a little reminder note that you were there and tell me where it might be I'll try to look for it on my cruise. Just play nice, nothing naughty. Probably not much chance of anything staying hidden long with such huge turnovers.

Have a great cruise!

Lorekauf,

It's so nice of you to make sure you leave the ship in shape for us. I've read where sometimes people who've had the cabin before you leave things like unused drink cards, of course you most likely won't have the same cabin as us, but if you think of a little reminder note that you were there and tell me where it might be I'll try to look for it on my cruise. Just play nice, nothing naughty. Probably not much chance of anything staying hidden long with such huge turnovers.

Have a great cruise!

I'll be in the cheap seats with a guarentee so I don't know where I'll be just yet. Last guarentee I had I didn't find out until 3 days before. That wasn't too fun. Not too much chance of me having liqour punches left on my card but you never know. I just can't wait for November!

If you find out any great tips or secret doors, that sort of thing on this ship, let me know.

I'm in a cat. C inside on the veranda deck. My brother and his family will have a balcony cabin on the same deck. I guess that makes me the poor branch of the family- ha ha. I don't care where I am as long as I get to sail.

By the way, have you found any interesting excursions in your ports yet? We are thinking of cave tubing in Belize, other ports.... don't have a clue.

Try checking the country's web-site as well, we did for Costa Rica. We were on a Pnanma Canal trip, and we did not need vaccinations at any port

Love your screen name and that's a good idea about checking the country's site.

Now if I could get some other people to join my roll call, it's really lonely over there. None of the HAL roll calls seem overly active.

If you find out any great tips or secret doors, that sort of thing on this ship, let me know.

I'm in a cat. C inside on the veranda deck. My brother and his family will have a balcony cabin on the same deck. I guess that makes me the poor branch of the family- ha ha. I don't care where I am as long as I get to sail.

By the way, have you found any interesting excursions in your ports yet? We are thinking of cave tubing in Belize, other ports.... don't have a clue.

I've got 126 days with HAL and can you beleive I can't think of any secret doors or tips. One place I love to be at sailaway it the front of the ship on the sky deck (?) not sure if this is the proper name but you actually have to walk up to it.

I think my cruise is a different one from yours. Mine goes to South America. Lima is the end point of the 13 days but I am staying on for 26. I would love to go to Machu Picchu but its outragously expensive. I haven't found any tours that even sound remotely interesting but I still have hope. I have to keep looking.

Love your screen name and that's a good idea about checking the country's site.

When I first found cruise critics it just before a voyage on the QM2. CC'ers had set up a meet and geet without using the roll-call (you have to be a member to see the roll calls, I think). DW and I went out of curiosity, and someone said, "oh, you've been lukring on the boards. You should join". Hence the name. ;)

Archived