Dubrovnik

Croatian travelady, thank you o much for helping with such specific advice. I have been to Medjugorje twice and it is such a tease for me to be so close and yet so far on the short port stop! I only got to see Dubrovnik from the bus ride from the airport to Medjugorje so am looking foward to a real Dubrovnik visit. My ship is tendering to Old town how owuld I then get to the entrance for walls not at Pile gate? Thank you,

Lee Anne

Jade,

You weren't listening when I spoke?

hahahahahaha

I'm kidding...:D

sometimes it takes someone at the destination to verify

what others say...

I'm glad you dropped Ston..

I promise you and your husband will LOVE Dubrovnik even though your tastes are a little different.

One thing we saw A LOT of was mussels as they are grown in many places on the coast...

If you love mussels this is the place and maybe CroatiatravelLady will have recommendation for that!

If you notice in our albums, I gave a link to Bonus Albums..

In the one that says follow us, I say our new home on one picture..

this is in a cove by Fort St. Lawrence/Ft. Lovrijenac outside of the city walls. For those of you who saw the Amazing Race this is where the zip line was.

you will see views that look back to all of old town dubrovnik that is from the top of Fort St. Lawrence/Ft. Lovrijenac

Have a wondeful time...

The country of Croatia is a very special place.

That is an amazing story!

Yes it is, as Ivan was my first true love and I waited 37 years as I never married. I am, by the way, a California lady first lived in Los Angeles, Hawaii and lastly in the foothills on the road to Lake Tahoe. Now I live in a different paradise and I "Live Aloha".

Has anyone figured out what is the translation of "Dobro Dosli"?

LeAnn...

The entrance to the walls is next to the Maritime Museum

VERY CLOSE to your tender drop off...

if you look at a map you will be able to get your bearings.

this is still a climb up, but not as steep as the Pile Gate entrance

BTW, the entrance to the walls also covers the entrance to Ft. St. Lawrence!

One of the days we were in DBV there were 3 ships in and that was crazy!

We had the option of leaving Old Town for awhile and heading back to our hotel for a little siesta just to avoid the crowds...

I can't imagine 6 ships in port! :eek:

Croatian travelady, thank you o much for helping with such specific advice. I have been to Medjugorje twice and it is such a tease for me to be so close and yet so far on the short port stop! I only got to see Dubrovnik from the bus ride from the airport to Medjugorje so am looking foward to a real Dubrovnik visit. My ship is tendering to Old town how owuld I then get to the entrance for walls not at Pile gate? Thank you,

Lee Anne

Do you know positively that your ship is in the Gruz? Take a cab, there will be tons of them sitting there waiting. You do not have enough time to mess with it. Meet me at the Pile gate and I will show you the city wall entrance. You can't miss my Ronchi hat. Google Ronchi Dubrovnik and see what I am taking about. Every woman should own a Ronchi, they are awsome.

Dobro Dosli

CroatiaTravelady...

I know the translation...

and it made me smile..

I wanted the others to learn it, so I didn't say anything!

My husband and I just want to say Hvala to the people

of Croatia...

We had a wonderful journey throughout the country.

We felt embraced with warmth and generosity of the Croatian people.

PS...I live 5 hours south of Lake Tahoe and if you noticed on our website we mention Live Aloha!

I wasn't ever going to attempt to do all three, just two stops. Are silk products still being made and sold in the Konvale valley? I know the process as I lived and worked with silk weavers in Northern Thailand many years ago.

Jade: The silk worms are now eating and sleeping and I must go back to Desa to get more info regarding them. I have had a chance to check out the very few homes who still grow them, but I will have more on the silk later. We are expecting rain for the next few days and I tend not to walk in Stari Grad when it rains, as the "Stradun" can be a river. I will find out and let you know.

Dobro Dosli

CroatiaTravelady...

I know the translation...

and it made me smile..

I wanted the others to learn it, so I didn't say anything!

My husband and I just want to say Hvala to the people

of Croatia...

We had a wonderful journey throughout the country.

We felt embraced with warmth and generosity of the Croatian people.

PS...I live 5 hours south of Lake Tahoe and if you noticed on our website we mention Live Aloha!

I noticed the "Live Aloha" and I still have my bumper sticker which was never on any car, but just taped to a cabinet in the garage. I brought it with me, living in Hawaii was so amazing and I gained so much from my 6 short years there. I am happy now that I left, as I would have not returned to my first love the land of a thousand islands, the Dalmatian coast. Both my parents were born here and I am now working on duel citizenship, marrying a local Dubrovcan doesn't count.

Hvala vajljep

Where is a steak house and is there any special croatian preparation? My Dh is a meat & potato guy. Me too but I also eat shell fish.

Jade: The steak house is called Domino's and it is located on the green market plaza just behind Sv. Vlaho's church. Meat and potatoes when you can have seafood, my my.

It's 8pm now and I am off to make "Palachinka" an old family favorite. I will be back here in the am while you are sleeping. So just list your questions, I am having a great time helping.

Adio i luca noch

Do you know positively that your ship is in the Gruz? Take a cab, there will be tons of them sitting there waiting. You do not have enough time to mess with it. Meet me at the Pile gate and I will show you the city wall entrance. You can't miss my Ronchi hat. Google Ronchi Dubrovnik and see what I am taking about. Every woman should own a Ronchi, they are awsome.

Dobro Dosli

I am an absolute hat lover so now that I saw the Ronchi website, I MUST have one. I guess I'll have to find the shop and happy shopping to me! I am there July 12th will look for you!!

The company I am traveling with made group reservation for Proto restaurant, how is this restaurant? Would you rcommend this or should my DH and I skip the group thing and eat at Jardan??

Lee Anne

LeAnn...

The entrance to the walls is next to the Maritime Museum

VERY CLOSE to your tender drop off...

if you look at a map you will be able to get your bearings.

this is still a climb up, but not as steep as the Pile Gate entrance

BTW, the entrance to the walls also covers the entrance to Ft. St. Lawrence!

One of the days we were in DBV there were 3 ships in and that was crazy!

We had the option of leaving Old Town for awhile and heading back to our hotel for a little siesta just to avoid the crowds...

I can't imagine 6 ships in port! :eek:

Thank you where2next.

I am an absolute hat lover so now that I saw the Ronchi website, I MUST have one. I guess I'll have to find the shop and happy shopping to me! I am there July 12th will look for you!!

The company I am traveling with made group reservation for Proto restaurant, how is this restaurant? Would you rcommend this or should my DH and I skip the group thing and eat at Jardan??

Lee Anne

LeeAnn:

Proto is the sister restaurant to Nautika and it is fine, but located on a busy side street off the Stadun. Jadran has a view and what a view ~ Fort Lovrijenac and sits inside the Pile bay.

Dobro Dosli

LeeAnn:

Proto is the sister restaurant to Nautika and it is fine, but located on a busy side street off the Stadun. Jadran has a view and what a view ~ Fort Lovrijenac and sits inside the Pile bay.

Dobro Dosli

OK so maybe get the freebie dinner at Proto on the company but since I am here from 2:30pm untill midnight enjoy Jardan also on our own. Now go cook for oyur family!!:)

LeeAnn:

Dobro Dosli

And Konavoski dvori restaurant is also a sister. We have a driver that can take us there in the afternoon so we see the valley but my DH wants me to find out if they have an a la carte menu for lunch vs their 35 euro fixed menu. I think the fixed menu is soup, salad, lamb, beef or trout and dessert. Also brandy and figs upon arrival.

Croatian travelady. Thank you so much for your input. We'll be there around Sept 25. Cruise ship is scheduled to be there 8am-6pm. What will the weather and crowds be like then? Do you still advise walking the walls and the trip to Cavtat or would you work in anything else? Thanks

Carol

Hi!

I realize you asked CroatiaLady, but she might already be sleeping..

as it is 9:50pm there, right now.

Here are 2 websites that will help answer your questions

Weather - allows you to view history of past years on the date you will there

wunderground.com

Porttimes.com

plug in your dates, ship etc.

and it will tell you what other ships will be in port with you.

OMG I found it, For July 12th in Dubrovnik there are 11 ships listed and mine isnt one of them!! Perhaps b/c it's a chartered cruise? But that would make 12 ships at one port- unbelievable. Now we get in at 2:30 hopefully some are pulling out then.

Well, it will be a little bit of leg work for you...

BUT

you can print that out then go into each cruise line and check the times

this is why croatiatravelady and myself have been stressing the crowd issue!

We had 3 in and it was a nightmare from 11am-3pm, like I said in another post we were lucky to be able to just go back to our hotel for a little rest and then come back out when the hoarde of people sailed away!

OMG I found it, For July 12th in Dubrovnik there are 11 ships listed and mine isnt one of them!! Perhaps b/c it's a chartered cruise? But that would make 12 ships at one port- unbelievable. Now we get in at 2:30 hopefully some are pulling out then.

Yikes, is that info from Port Times? On my date there are only 2 ships for a total of about 2,000 pax.

How many passengers are the showing total with the 12 ships?

Where2next- I dont even want to look, nothing I can do about it! I will plan on doing walls a little later though just in case.

Jade13- I think the pax load said 17,000. and again my ship isnt even listed!!

Lee Anne:)

Archived