Dubrovnik

Greetings,

We are arriving in Dubrovnik on August 17, 2008, on the Noordam.

I have read through the thread, and I found there is an open air sightseeing bus. I tried to find a website online for the bus but no luck. Does anyone have a website for this bus?

Thanks!

I've read the posts recommending doing the old city in the morning; however, if our port time is limited to one day, to alleviate concerns about timing (our ship leaving while we're driving back, are we better off in our circumstance to save the wall and old city for the afternoon and see some of the countryside in the morning?

Greetings,

We are arriving in Dubrovnik on August 17, 2008, on the Noordam.

I have read through the thread, and I found there is an open air sightseeing bus. I tried to find a website online for the bus but no luck. Does anyone have a website for this bus?

Thanks!

I think this might be it.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/about_dubrovnik.php?id=1162&id_main=1162&box=4

Kolleen...2 Ozujskos for you for reading the entire thread

Sparky ....you get 2 Ozujskos for doing your homework..I'm very proud of you!!!! :)

Read here to find out what you have won! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%C5%BEujsko

The city tour bus began after we had been in Dubrovnik, since our last day there was May 8th and that is still considered off season.

CroatiaTravelLady...will give you exact information...as she

has already or was going to check it out for everyone, if

I remember correctly

but I want to give you a heads up Libertas Busses are for the ENTIRE area and local population

and will take you all over ...

so make sure you are getting on the tourist bus for that tour...

taxjam...when will you be there?

Where2next..thankyou..I will enjoy. :)

I think 1happyfam might be asking which Rick Steves, book, as he has some more general ones too such as Eastern Mediterranean which may I think have a small section on Dubrovnik, but I think perhaps you may have been referring to this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rick-Steves-Croatia-Slovenia/dp/1598800795/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213135235&sr=8-1

(By the way...being as nosy as I am I had a look at your post 45. I am appalled. We too are RC & I've just asked my husband who in fact spent a couple of years training in a Jesuit seminary but didn't complete..& yes, he left before I met him ;)..He is well up on his canon law & was quite shocked. I'm sure they wouldn't try that here in the UK. I agree with you though, it is you & him that counts.)

Hi Sparky!

That's the book!

I guess I should of been more specific..sorry about that...

Regarding the wedding post...

well, you can imagine...I felt sucker punched in the stomach and slapped across the face at the same time!

The fertility issue is hard enough but to have all that said to me...

as you can tell by my posts here I research everything,

I've now blocked most of this from my memory banks..just to move on in my life..

but there was one area in the Vatican text,that says no we couldn't because it was part of the sacrament to vow to have children. AND I wasn't going to LIE!

and then a very small sentence written by someone very respected ...that said it should be determined if our intent was to have children ...if we could

by then the damage had been done...and i was just too tired to fight anymore...the leaders of the 3 archdioceses said sooo many hurtful, judgemental things...

I tell people, we didn't lose our faith, but we realized our faith doesn't need to only exist and lived through those 4 walls..

We joke when we travel...we are holy rollers...considering how many churches, synangoues, and moques we visit.

and then of course all the other wedding drama...

what I wrote there was really the cliff notes...it

was so much more! :eek:

I learned and lived the true meaning of grace under pressure!

but what really came out of all this

is our knowledge that as a couple we have invincible strength for whatever the world throws at us!

ps... if you want to see some wedding photos...if you go to our website, then into THE BLOG

and scroll down to I think the April 25 post ...there's a few pictures on there!

Here;s the link again so you don't have to search for it....http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

Thanks for sharing that..you look so blissfully happy & I'm sure you'll continue to be so. The second picture did make me burst out laughing though!.:)

I've just noticed too your 2009 plans. It seems as if you are looking for something similar to us. We too will be travelling in April, but we leave on 7th ..& share the ports Athens, Rhodes, Cyprus & Alexandria with you.

It looks to me so far that Cyprus will be the toughie.

(Yes, I played hopscotch as a child too..& that was in the 50's...Shhhhh. ;))

Where2next and sparky1664 thanks for the Rick Steves info. I'm a novice at European travel so havent ventured to his books yet but I will look this one up!

Your photo album is lovely especially picture #4 what a great shot! I hope you are a writer by profession if not maybe you should be, I didnt have time to read through it all but you write very well.Thanks for sharing that!

I'm feeling almost prepared... 4weeks from today and counting down.

Lee Anne:)

Hi Happyfam!

Thank you.. I love #1 and #4, see what I mean about being in our own world...especially #1 :) :) :)

BTW just added more to the blog a few minutes ago!

Rick Steves books are a great tool and a very good product..but as with everything else ...they are guidebooks...he has his devotees...but we have found he likes to zip through places more than we do!

So we use other guidebooks such as Lonely Planet, DK Eyewitness and Brandt to supplement many European destinations!

John just got home...need to go greet him

KOLLEEN ...I will study it a little later and see if we can figure it out for you!

back in a little while

Dobar Dan Kolleen....

I will defer to Croatian Travel Lady on this one..

the schedule doesn't look any different than what we used during off season...

and my Croatian isn't good enough to really know...

I will tell you this ...I know for fact DO NOT get on bus 4

That was our bus up to Lapad Bay area hotels...

Where2next- thanks for the other guide books too! I think I just need to look at the map really well since I know the places I want to see and we have a company dinner at Proto, so am working around that. I also have your list of must sees to help.

Dobro Dan:

Well here I am back again, been busy celebrating my birthday. I just turned 33 1/2 for the second time and spent the entire day eating and drinking some local wines. Had lunch at the Orhan, ate barboon (local white fish) and then spent the day wandering around Stari Grad just like a tourist, even had my camera.

There are masses every evening, at 1930 in every church in town. And I found a wonderful small lovely church just around the corner from the Orhan. For those of you who do not understand the 24 hour clock, start learning now.

A friend brough me a couple of fish he had caught diving about 5pm and I had them on a grill and another friends small cafe, Nava. A wonderful, true Dalmatian place with a wondeful owner who is carming and a great cook.

I would love everyone to eat there, but you all seem to want to have a sea view. Nava is in one of the side streets, a few tables and NO view other than that of the Stardun. Nana is a good cook and all of her wine is home made from the Kanavle Valley, her white is my favorite.

This was a fun day and I sure had a good time. Got dressed us for the frist time since I arrived and it felt good. However it is now getting way too hot to wear much other than cotten shorts and shirts and sandals and my new Ronchi hat.

Dobra Dosli

Carol

Where2next you are a font of info, are you sure you are not secretly Croatian??;) I loved the new website and Carol's maps too. Thanks for the info on the cathedral and yes I will still visit St Blaise's. Since you knwo many good webstes would you know one I could find info the avl masses??

Thanks,

Lee Anne

Mass every evening, all churchs, at 1930. Take your pick of which church you wish to attend. The lovely Sv. George in the Pile Bay is small and unique. The Cathedral also has masses, again at 1930.

Dobro Dosli

Carol

Thanks Sparky...now if I could just figure out which of the timetables applies to the sightseeing bus. : )

The sightseeing bus does not have it's schedule posted on the Libertas bus website. It begins around 0900 and returns to main bus terminal at 1650. There are 8 different stops to get on or off, but it does 4 complete circles of town, takes 2 hours for entire trip.

For example:

Pile Gate 0943 1138 1343 1543

Although the Cabriobus is part of our bus system here, it does not run on the same schedule as our public buses. You will not be able to locate this schedule online. Sorry

Dobra Dosli

Carol

:) We dock at Old town and tender in, from there we would like to go to Cafe Buza for a drink and bite to eat and then walk the walls( hopefully it will be less crowded and cooler by then). Coud either of you tell me how to get to the cafe from the tender location at old town and then where to enter the walls?

Dobar Dan:

There are 2 seperate Buza's, the first is called 1 and the other is called 2. Neither serves food, as of last September, just cold drinks in plastic glasses because of the location. I will check again next week, as we are getting a rain storm the rest of this week, to make sure.

Dobro dosli

Carol

Carol, Congrats on the birthday celebration. Sounds wonderful, perhaps I'll cellebrate my 1/2 in Europe too! (it's actually 2days after I get home but who'll know?)

Thanks for the mass info and for letting me know about Buza. I'm not sure if it's 1 or 2 i saw pictures of on portreviews.com. For food I will definitely stop in one of the places you mentioned. I think I told you our company dinner at 8pm is at Proto but I will need to eat before that too:D Which church would be closest to Proto since it would end at 7:30 and dinner is at 8?

Oh also could you tell me where I can get my Ronchi hat??

Hvala- is that right?

Thanks Carol for the information on the bus. Happy 1/2 birthday. I guess we will try for the 9:43 bus at the Pile Gate. Maybe they will have a timetable on board for the different stops.

We took the open top buses all through the UK in 2005. It was February, and we have great pictures of my daughter and I all bundled up and the only ones braving the cold on the top. We love being able to see everything with no roof. This trip is in August, so I guess it will be hats and sunscreen this time.

Carol, Congrats on the birthday celebration. Sounds wonderful, perhaps I'll cellebrate my 1/2 in Europe too! (it's actually 2days after I get home but who'll know?)

Thanks for the mass info and for letting me know about Buza. I'm not sure if it's 1 or 2 i saw pictures of on portreviews.com. For food I will definitely stop in one of the places you mentioned. I think I told you our company dinner at 8pm is at Proto but I will need to eat before that too:D Which church would be closest to Proto since it would end at 7:30 and dinner is at 8?

Hvala- is that right?

LeeAnne:

Hvala, thank you, that is correct.

Ronchi hat is located in the old town, a small corner shop located very close to Sveti Vlaho church. She is only open Monday - Saturday, from 0800 to 1300 closed and reopens at 1500 to 1700 and never open on Sunday. She has a great selection of hats, starting at 120 kuna and upwards to 500 kuna, be prepared.

Just checked the website you mentioned, port review, she is way off base of 75% of the information she has for Dubrovnik. This is a shame for guests who are taking all of her descripations as accurate.

Dobra Dosli

Carol

Thanks Carol for the information on the bus. Happy 1/2 birthday. I guess we will try for the 9:43 bus at the Pile Gate. Maybe they will have a timetable on board for the different stops.

We took the open top buses all through the UK in 2005. It was February, and we have great pictures of my daughter and I all bundled up and the only ones braving the cold on the top. We love being able to see everything with no roof. This trip is in August, so I guess it will be hats and sunscreen this time.

Dobar Don:

The sightseeing bus has a roof, no windows and only one level. You still must have sunscreen and perhaps a hat which will stay on your head as the winds took mine and sent it soaring into the sky. That is how I finally got my Ronchi hat, which I do love dearly. This bus does give you a wonderful view of the old town and the newer sections.

But do remember it is 2 hours long, please be prepared with water. the only chance for a potty break is half way when the bus stops in Lapad, near the President Hotel and you can quietly enter the front doors, turn right and use their facilities.

Dobro Dosli

Carol

Hvala- is that right?

The closest church to Proto restaurant is Malu Braca the Franciscan Monestary, about 50 meters from Proto.

http://www.esculap-teo.hr/restaurant_proto.html

You can look at their location on the website and check the map for the Franciscan Monestary. It will take you a few minutes to reach Siroka Ulica (big street) and it is right there. Have a wonderful meal, the seafood is the best.

Dobra Dosli

Carol

Archived