Dubrovnik

1happyfam

LeeAnn

Are you on the Noordam with State Farm? I am going to week before and will be in Dubrovnik on july 5 with 10,000 people. State Farms logic to arriving at 230pm was that most of the ships would be leaving shortly thereafter and it would not be so crowded

Barbara, Yes I am. I hope you get to post your favorite spots before I leave on the 8th. If you read through this whole thread you'll see alot of ideas on what to do, ( Carol and Karen are definite wealth of knowledge) also here is the map link that Carol gave http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Have a wonderful time!!

Lee Anne :)

We're really looking forward to revisiting Dubrovnik next May. This time our cruise ship will be overnighting arriving at 8:00 a.m. and leaving the next morning at 5:00 a.m.

Joan

Joan...

you would have time to take a day trip to Mostar or Montenegro

if you are interested in that ...

I have pictures on my website of both places

and the listing of the private driver we hired

who was excellent!

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

Karen

Joan...

you would have time to take a day trip to Mostar or Montenegro

if you are interested in that ...

I have pictures on my website of both places

and the listing of the private driver we hired

who was excellent!

Karen

I know someone who wants to go to Montenegro. They were told this could be done in a 7 hour tour from Dubrovnik. I thought I had read that you needed 2 hours each way and 30 minutes to cross the border? How long did it take you to get there in each direction?

I know someone who wants to go to Montenegro. They were told this could be done in a 7 hour tour from Dubrovnik. I thought I had read that you needed 2 hours each way and 30 minutes to cross the border? How long did it take you to get there in each direction?

We were gone for 11 hours, we went to Perast and Kotor as you know we do immersion traveling...

and that included the boat ride and visit out to the famous church in the middle of the Bay of Kotor

if someone wanted to skim it maybe 8 hours

The Border crossings will be backed up in the summer.so just sitting in your car to cross could bring it back up to 11 hours

so you must get a very early start..

I ONLY suggested this to Joan because she is overnighting in Dubrovnik...

for the rest of you ...absolutely NO unless the ship is offering a shorex!

just to continue with a few thoughts

Jade, we were VERY off season for Montenegro traveller....

we had 5 cars in front of us and the borders took 20 minutes each

so 40 minutes total in each direction...because theres a buffer area in the road...

you leave Croatia check point then you drive about 7-10 minutes then you hit the Montenegro check point.

also this is a 2 lane road with very little passing opportunities...

in fact in some places cars will need to pull to the tiny tiny side to let a truck pass.

I forget who was tendering in to old town and I said to enter the wall by the maritime museum

if you pull up the map I linked ....see #4 thats where you want to go... :)

Hey Karen that was me,I assume it is the #4 on the other side than the Pile entrance is that correct?? thanks once again for the info!!

Thanks, Karen. Our ship goes to Kotor, Montenegro after Dubrovnik. It also goes to Split, Croatia and Koper, Slovenia. I'm thrilled with the itinerary.

Joan

Which ship, date and itinerary is this?

Ladyofthecanyon,

Two summers ago I took this tour from our Carnival cruise. I have mixed feelings about it. The tour was great and we stopped at a restaurant Konavoski Dvori for a light snack and glass of wine. My biggest complaint was the bus was not airconditioned (the driver said he had a gas ration and couldn't afford to put it on) and it was VERY HOT! We called the cruise line from the restaurant and complained. After about 1 1/2 hours the cruise ship sent another bus after us. There was almost a mutiny from all of us while we were waiting. Needless to say, I got our money back for this excusion. So... here's my recommendation...if you book the tour and go on the bus and it feels warm (and they tell you it will be colder once they start up and are on our way) get off immediately! It won't get colder and you'll miss sight seeing waiting for another bus.

LeeAnne

If you have any questions for Malta I was just in Gozo and malta for 10 days in April. Went to most of the places the have as shore excursions.

Barbara

Thanks Barbara. Here is my personal email if you want to send me a note there we can post to each other. there is another SF'er that found me on these boards she is going on the first trip.

jcslam@optonline.net

Karen

If you think I'm Lynda's sister you are correct.

I could not find you 2008 travels on your website. I did go into Croatia but found nothing for private drivers. What am I missing? We might like to take a short (2 or so hours) around the Dubrovnik but get back in time to do the wall. We will be arriving at 230pm and someone said the wall closes at 730pm in July. This way we won't be on the wall in the dead of heat.

Thanks for your help

Barbara

Hi Queennie / Barbara

go back to my website,

on the left hand side it says Trip Reports

you click on that and you will find a link to this year Croatia, Montenegro and Bosnia..

.on that page if you scroll down you will see private driver option, videos on Dubrovnik, Montenegro and Mostar

If you go back to the main website you will see a link for Croatia, one for Montenegro and one for Bosnia....

these are our photos...inside the photo album page for Montenegro and Bosnia there is a link to the private driver information.

I have been updating our website, so that might be where the confusion is...

take a look around behind the globe, camera, luggage and journal and of course THE BLOG...

all sorts of nook and crannies with information..that you might find interesting.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Karen

;) We will be in Dubrovnik for one day and my kids have seen pics of parachutes over water, jet skiing, tubing, etc. From what i have been able to research, these things might be offered at the Copacabana but it doesn't sound like it is a sandy beach (for us old folks). Is there any sandy beach that has all of these activities also? I have also tried to find out how much they might cost but have not had any luck. Any ideas? Is it hard to get to the beaches? Thanks. andi

First of all, I'd like to say that I have enjoyed this thread immensely. Thank you everyone, especially Croatian Travel Lady and Where to Next.

My question is actually for Where To Next. I have seen you mention Traditional Christmas Decorations several times... would you mind telling me what they are? That is one thing that I like to collect! Also do you maybe have a picture you could post here of them?

Thank you!

I just read that in your blog! How awful! I know just what you mean! I thought I had lost everything on my computer including some precious pictures that were taken of my family with my father just before he died... after spending hundreds (I'm not exagerating, it was 500 plus a monitor and other equipment) we were able to rescue those pictures!

Then I bought a HP, it had problem with the video card... returned it and bought another HP and it had problems with the sound card from the box... had more problems getting through to support than I did with the computers!

I was fortunate to have been able to save my pictures, but it was agonizing for many days so I can sympathize. Good luck with rebuilding! If there is anything that is truly irreplacable, I wouldn't completely give up, I'd been told by 'experts' that they were completely lost too but kept searching until I found someone willing to try and spend the hours to get them. Thank God.

Archived