Dubrovnik

That is definately the Cafe Buza that we stopped in to take a peek at...

we didn't stay...since we had other opportunities to enjoy the fabulous views for just pennies...

I'm not sure which one is one or two... you can print the picture out and take it into port with you...that way when you ask for directions, show the picture too

Where we loved to take our picnic lunch sandwhiches was....

see the 2nd picture above the Cafe Buza on that says Dubrovnik old harbor...there's a walkway right by the wall and the boats on the left of the picture...you follow that out to the end and there's the sea wall...there's a few benches or you can sit on the wall...fabulous view of Lokrum, the harbor, the walls etc. etc.

our sandwhich from the Sandwhich Bar by St. Blaise's church was 18 kuna, water from Konzum 4 kuna which totals to about 5 USD!

Tally

Lunch 5 USD

Million Dollar View...free

My fiance and I will be in Dubrovnik from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and plan on doing things on our own. We'll probably try and just walk around as much as possible but we don't know much about the town. For those that have been there, what are the main things to see and how much time would you give just walking around and soaking it all in? I'd like to jet over to Lokrum as well since I saw someone had posted that it was only 6 euros and didn't take much time. Anyone know how long? And where to find the ferry? And has anyone been swimming in the Mrtvo More? Is that easy to find on the island? Is the island big?

Thanks in advance everyone..

Dobar Dan...

The majority of your questions have been answered earlier in this thread by myself or Croatian Travel Lady..

It would be worth your while to scroll through our posts...

I think they will enhance your time in Dubrovnik tremendously!

If you have still have questions, please let us know!

and we would be happy to assist you!

Dobra Dosli!

K.

Carol, Happy Unbirthday!

Do you know if the city bus tour will still be operating in November? We will be there on Sunday, Nov. 9, 10am -6pm.

Can we just buy tickets on board?

Thanks, Julie

Dobra Dan:

I don't know if the bus will be running in November as schedules change here often, weather or low tourist count. I can't be sure and they just tell me, we'll see in November. Sorry I don't know.

Dobro Dosli

OK ladies sorry it was at this link http://www.europeportreviews.com/Dubrovnik.htm I got the name of the site wrong. Is this site better??? Now scroll to the bottom of the page and tell me if that is Buza 1 or 2? On anothere thread someone referenced this same cafe by name Buza is that correct if you know??

Lee Anne:)

There is no way I can tell by that photo if it's one or two. However because of the location there is only wine or beer, both locations. Finding it is not difficult, if you have enough time, most cruise passengers do not have enough time during the day to do all there is to do and see. Plan your day carefully and see the wonderful gems of this town. Dubrovnik has been called "The Gem of the Adriatic" and it's very true. I know, I moved here from California.

Dobro Dosli

OK ladies sorry it was at this link http://www.europeportreviews.com/Dubrovnik.htm I got the name of the site wrong. Is this site better??? Now scroll to the bottom of the page and tell me if that is Buza 1 or 2? On anothere thread someone referenced this same cafe by name Buza is that correct if you know??

Thank you, however it is the same site I visited yesterday. I stand by my statement, her descriptions are not all correct.

Try locating some of the website which Karen gave you, she did the best research on finding out what to visit.

Please remember your time frame, most of you only have one day here. I have been coming here since 1971 and I still find something new everyday.

Dobro Dosli

My fiance and I will be in Dubrovnik from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and plan on doing things on our own. We'll probably try and just walk around as much as possible but we don't know much about the town. For those that have been there, what are the main things to see and how much time would you give just walking around and soaking it all in? I'd like to jet over to Lokrum as well since I saw someone had posted that it was only 6 euros and didn't take much time. Anyone know how long? And where to find the ferry? And has anyone been swimming in the Mrtvo More? Is that easy to find on the island? Is the island big?

Thanks in advance everyone..

Mrtvo More is "Dead Water" and it's not that easy to find and yes some people do swim in it, I would not. The boat to Lokrum is found at the old port. May I suggest you go back and download the site for the map of Dubrovnik, it will give you a view of finding places.

Also, once you arrive you can find the Dubrovnik tourist office on the Siroka Ulica and get a paper copy to carry with you.

Yes the island is big and there are paths you can walk and it is home to the Natural History Museum, set in the old 10th century Benedictine monastery.

Dobro Dosli

Today we had a day of rain, thunder and lightening and I would not walk to Buza to see which one is in the photo on the port preview, as I am now curious. The forcast for Thursday and Friday are not much better, so it may take me a little more time. I have been to both, but it was last year and as mentioned before, things change here often.

Also tonight the town is celebrating as Croatia just won a soccer game against Germany. This puts us closer to the final in the European Championship. Lots of noise and partying going on in the old town and it will continue until very late, or early tomorrow am. Staying in the old town during the summer months is only for those who like to stay awake until 3 or 4 am......

Dobro Dosli i laku noc

Thanks Carol, I do think in Karen's post at the beginning of this thread she references Buza as a restaurant so maybe she can clear this up without yoiu getting drenched!! Also it is NOT a must see as so many places are I just thought it looked like a good way to start the afternoon there and let the wall crowds die down. But I'm sure I'll find somewhere to go.

Thank you, however it is the same site I visited yesterday. I stand by my statement, her descriptions are not all correct.

Try locating some of the website which Karen gave you, she did the best research on finding out what to visit.

Please remember your time frame, most of you only have one day here. I have been coming here since 1971 and I still find something new everyday.

Dobro Dosli

Hvala! I appreciate that!

Totally agree about the website, that's why I said GREAT pictures!

Zivio,

Well, I had fun reading this thread, though it took a while! I'll be in Dubrovnik in October on a RC cruise and am looking forward to it. Wanted to say that reading the Crotian greetings and such on here...they seem a lot like Slovene! Will my rudimentary grasp of Slovene work in Dubrovnik? I'm sure I'll think of more questions...though many have been answered here.

Nasvidenje

Zivjo (Slovenian) / Bog (Croatian) !

Please note your initial greeting and my response to your greeting is informal, which would be done in those countries with people who are close friends...

The actual greeting should be

Dober dan / Dobar Dan

I was in Ljubljana and Piran 2 years ago...we just loved our journey through Slovenia!

The root of the language is similiar, many words are similiar yet quite a few are different which could pose difficulty.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were understood...

but please note..

English is the 2nd language that is taught in grade school

A LOT of Italian is also spoken in Croatia.

Ciao Ciao for now!

Thanks Carol, I do think in Karen's post at the beginning of this thread she references Buza as a restaurant so maybe she can clear this up without yoiu getting drenched!! Also it is NOT a must see as so many places are I just thought it looked like a good way to start the afternoon there and let the wall crowds die down. But I'm sure I'll find somewhere to go.

Dobra Dan Lee Anne:

The reason I stress doing the city walls as early as possible is because of the heat and the crowds. The times have changed again, now the walls open at 0800 and close 1930 daily. If you wait until later in the day, such as afternoon, the heat will be unbearable and the crowds will be bigger. Yesterday, in the pouring rain, they were still walking on the walls, rain, wind, lightening and thunder. The only time of day to walk the walls is very early morning.

Today has turned out to be fantastic, but I was too busy to get down to Stari Grad (old town) so perhaps tomorrow afternoon I will see Buza 1 & 2 again. I am curious myself if they have changed anything from last September, and believe me I will not do this in the rain. Weather is supposed to be nice on Saturday, so I may have an answer for you sometime this weekend.

What month are you going to be here?

Dobro Dosli

The only problem Carol is that I dont get into port until 2:30pm so the morning walk is impossible. But on the upside maybe some of the 12 ships due in that day will leave before I get there!!

What is the name of your ship and what day of the week do you arrive in Dubrovnik?

What is the name of your ship and what day of the week do you arrive in Dubrovnik?

Carol, I am on the HAL Noordam and I am there July 12th from 2:30-midnight with a business dinner at 8pm. Other than the dinner I am free to do whatever I like.

1happyfam

LeeAnn

Are you on the Noordam with State Farm? I am going to week before and will be in Dubrovnik on july 5 with 10,000 people. State Farms logic to arriving at 230pm was that most of the ships would be leaving shortly thereafter and it would not be so crowded

croatioantravellady

could you please give me the website for the map of dubrovnik. I can't find it. You are a wealth of information along with Karen. I will be there on July 5 and have thought about getting a cab to go outside the city. Any suggestions where to go?

Barbara

Archived