Dubrovnik

Thanks CroatiaLady and where 2 next for your suggestions. I guess we may have skip the beach. I hear Crotia has some of the best beaches in the world so we werelooking forward to spending some time on them.

So now my second question is- what would you recommed for a day tri from a carnival cruise-

walk the wall and explore the old town on your own? can we hire a walking guide to show us arouns and explain the history? are there those walking headsets you can purchase that will guide you through the city?

or

should we book a tour?

Thanks,

Caroline

Caroline:

As of yet, I haven't notices any of those talking headsets just for town. They do have them on the open air sightseeing bus, which I did last week. It was 2 hours and took me all around the entire town, old and new. Carnival is one of the biggest ships and always has been docked in the Gruz which means you could board the bus just at the main bus terminal. Cost is 90 kuna and it must be Kuna they do not have change for other currencies. You can also take the bus transfer into town and it will drop you at the Pile Gate which is western entrance into the old town.

I can recommend someone, so contact me personally so I can give you a name and phone number.

Dobra Dosli

Carol

casosa54@gmail.com

Dobar Dan

Polly...

One thing I would suggest is perhaps getting your mom one of those canes that has a chair attached..

The main stradun doesn't have a lot of places to sit once you leave the Fransican Monastary until the Cafes by St. Blaise..not even really a stoop. While it isn't a lengthly distance to us, it might be for your mom.

I think a great thing for your mom and you to do, would be

the Franciscan Monastary.

While you can do the boats on your own...

if your comfort level doesn't allow it, it is perfectly acceptable to do the shorex boat part and then ditch the shorex once they start the walking tour...though the tours stop A LOT because each site is very close together.

If you are going to ditch the shorex once the walking tour begins let your tour guide know!

123traveller...what are your port times

Caroline:

As of yet, I haven't notices any of those talking headsets just for town. They do have them on the open air sightseeing bus, which I did last week. It was 2 hours and took me all around the entire town, old and new. Carnival is one of the biggest ships and always has been docked in the Gruz which means you could board the bus just at the main bus terminal. Cost is 90 kuna and it must be Kuna they do not have change for other currencies. You can also take the bus transfer into town and it will drop you at the Pile Gate which is western entrance into the old town.

I can recommend someone, so contact me personally so I can give you a name and phone number.

Dobra Dosli

Carol

casosa54@gmail.com

we did want to tour the wall as early as possible as some have suggestd that the heat would make it unbearable in the afternoon. Would be better off to tour the wall first thing and then take the open air sight seeing bus? Where would we catch the sightseeing bus near the wall?

Thanks so much for all your information!

Caroline

Lots of great information in this thread!

We will be at port in late October and were thinking of doing the sea kayaking. Anyone have any opinions/experience with this? We are at port from 11AM - 7PM and this excursion starts at noon and is 3.5 hours long. Afterwards we were planning on walking the walls.

Thoughts?

I saw something about seakayaking long ago on a previous post. We are scheduled to do this in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

It looks like fun, but what if we can't make it back from the island??:eek:

A couple of random responses

Sea kayaking would be fun, but the water will be freezing in October..it's still chilly in the summer

I never did it because we prefer to immerse ourselves in history, culture and architecture, and there's A LOT of that in Dubrovnik...that of course is what floats our boat...:)

and no disrespect or judgement to others that feel diffrently...

but that's why we didn't do sea kayaking

Beaches... i was in Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar and Split and never saw what I would say is a great beach...especially being from California.

Everything I saw was a few rocks...

What I did see were many pool type ladders that you could use to lower yourself into the most incredibly gorgeous and incredibly clear green-blue water

However I didn't see those ladders in Dubrovnik.

Croatia Travel Lady might know of a spot.

Where the beaches were nicer was down in Montenegro near Budva.

I've provided our extensive checklist...

but if the only thing you think you should do is the wall, I really implore you to at least go into the Franciscan Monastary. The courtyard can be very tranquil. There's a museum that is small but quite nice.

You can find out the details by googling it OR browsing through the Rick Steves book.

Caroline:

. Cost is 90 kuna and it must be Kuna they do not have change for other currencies. You can also take the bus transfer into town and it will drop you at the Pile Gate which is western entrance into the old town.

Just a reminder...

when we were there May 1-16

90 Kuna was equal to 10 USD

xe.com and oanda.com can be used to convert

ALSO, if you go to my website, into the journal, then money page...I give you instructions on how to make

a cheat sheet for numerous currencies. If you have questions on that just let me know..

I saw something about seakayaking long ago on a previous post. We are scheduled to do this in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

It looks like fun, but what if we can't make it back from the island??:eek:

That is when you paddle really hard to try and catch up with the ship.

Hello

Polly calling from England. Can I join this thread please, as you are all so knowledgeable about Dubrovnik.

My ship calls there on 15th September, I will be travelling with my mum who is 86, she walks with a stick, very slowly, but is a great old girl!

The ship's excursions seem mainly for "fit" people, obviously mum doesn't fall into that category, so I'm wondering what to do to make the best of our day. I would like to go up on the wall, but not for 2 hours as I would have to leave mum in a cafe or sitting in the shade - can you just go up and have a little walk, but not all the way?

I would also quite like to go on a boat trip round the old harbour if possible. The ship's excursion offers one, but it is then followed by a guided tour on foot, and mum wouldn't be able to keep up.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Polly

I am unable to keep up with walking tours, so sypathize with your Mum. My wife and I walked at our own pace and enjoyed a wonderful day in Dubrovnik. We had a light lunch at an outdoor cafe, watched a parade (on a Sunday), and she attended Mass at an old church in Latin while I stayed outside and people-watched. There are a number of small shops, some of which will probably be of interest to you.

That is when you paddle really hard to try and catch up with the ship.

Dobra Jutra (Good Morning):

There is kayaking happening at this time, however I doubt if they will still be open in late October. The Adriatic is not a warm body of water, in fact it is always cold. Many locals do swim in September, but you won't find many water sports in late October. The kayak company is located down in the Pile Bay, so when I am at the Orhan for dinner next week, I will inquire about the closing dates for you.

The weather here can be lovely in October, it is the beginning of rainy season. So you will be taking your chances on the weather, be prepared.

Dobra Dosli (Welcome)

Carol

Please visit this site and download the maps to your computers. These maps are excellant guides to help visualize the old and new town. The port in the Gruz is the new port and the area between the old city and Lokrum is where some of the cruisers are at anchor.

Dobra Dosli

Carol

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

I have seen many mentions of going to Cavtat on different posts. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what is Cavtat & what is the attraction of going there? I'm assuming it is an island about 20 min. from Dubrovnik - what is there to see/do there? We are planning on walking the wall in the morning and then spending some time looking around Dubrovnik (Monastery, Rector's Palace, Sponza Palace - anything else?). Thanks for any advice - this post has been very helpful.

Croation travelady,I will be in port on a Sat. July12th 2:30pm-12am. Do you know if any of the churches has mass Sat. evening that I coiuld attend. As I've told you I have been to Medjugorje and loved the Croatian mass it was a daily highlight. I would love to attend one in Dubrovnik. Does St.Blaise church have a relic?

Thanks,

Lee Anne

Curler61, I'm with you. Since we only have hours in Dubrovnik, I don't understand why so many are going elsewhere? Feel like I must be missing something????

Carol - Wow, I missed the boat on "Dobra"! I thought that was your name :o . You mentioned a 2 hour bus ride around town - is there narrative in English? Where do we get info on such a tour; do we need advance reservation? Loved the map you offered. Thanks again for all of your help. Wish we had a clone of you on every port board :D !

Polly, as Where2Next mentioned, the "cane seat" was a great help for my Mother when we traveled. I found it at a golf shop - golfers use it while waiting on the course. Folded up it is a cane; unfolded it is a 3 leg seat.

I have seen many mentions of going to Cavtat on different posts. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what is Cavtat & what is the attraction of going there? I'm assuming it is an island about 20 min. from Dubrovnik - what is there to see/do there? We are planning on walking the wall in the morning and then spending some time looking around Dubrovnik (Monastery, Rector's Palace, Sponza Palace - anything else?). Thanks for any advice - this post has been very helpful.

Here's a link for you on Cavtat..

http://www.croatia.hr/English/Destinacije/Opcenito.aspx?idDestination=29&idProperty=16

if you've never been to Dubrovnik I would stay there, if you've been to Dubrovnik this might be another option to explore.

You will also want to add St. Blaise and the Cathedral to

your list.

Did you see the list I provided a few pages back???

If not you will want to take a look at that!

Croation travelady,I will be in port on a Sat. July12th 2:30pm-12am. Do you know if any of the churches has mass Sat. evening that I coiuld attend. As I've told you I have been to Medjugorje and loved the Croatian mass it was a daily highlight. I would love to attend one in Dubrovnik. Does St.Blaise church have a relic?

Thanks,

Lee Anne

The Cathedral has the relics

HOWEVER ....St. Blaise is the patron saint, and you should see the inside for the statue and ships....

see my next post for more info

Where2next you are a font of info, are you sure you are not secretly Croatian??;) I loved the new website and Carol's maps too. Thanks for the info on the cathedral and yes I will still visit St Blaise's. Since you knwo many good webstes would you know one I could find info the avl masses??

Thanks,

Lee Anne

I guess I should ask the kayak company this-but if it is a 10 minute boat ride from Dubrovnik to Lokrum, how long do you think it would take us to kayak there? Is it hard to do? Does anyone know how far it is across that bay (like is it miles?) Basically, I am afraid of drowning or being stranded...

Where2next you are a font of info, are you sure you are not secretly Croatian??;) I loved the new website and Carol's maps too. Thanks for the info on the cathedral and yes I will still visit St Blaise's. Since you knwo many good webstes would you know one I could find info the avl masses??

Thanks,

Lee Anne

Dobar Dan!

If you go to this thread and my post #45 this will explain why I don't go to church :)

I'm responding to a girl who is having problems with her wedding planning on Princess,

I'm sharing with her all that I went through to help her feel better

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=761197&page=3

But if I did, this is who I would email for assistance

DUBROVNIK TOURIST BOARD

e-mail: tzgd@du.tel.hr, web: http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr

Nope not croatian...I believe I'm a mix of Irish, Scot with a little bit of French thrown in for a little seasoning!:D

We just always research research and more research wherever we go , we believe in total immersion when we travel.

Keep in mind we were in Croatia for 2 weeks on land travel...fending for ourselves with transportation options in off season (not the easiest manuever), FOOD...that REALLY adds up, so we had to learn to live during that time as a Croatian! In addition that hotels in Korcula and Hvar were just opening the week we arrived..so even finding a place to sleep required a lot of research!

Ciao Ciao for now!

OMG!!! That is an unbelievable story:eek: but I must say your retelling is hillarious and made my morning. See something good comes out everything! All I can say is sometimes the human side of the church can totally twist God's intentions. The God I know who made you exactly as you are would not turn you away. The Eucharist is too big a gift to give up, so maybe try another Catholic church. OK I wont go on anymore just wanted you to know a few bad apples dont spoil the whole bunch of us:D

I will try that website or wait for Carol to check in with mass schedule for me.

Our wedding had to be rearranged and put together in a few short weeks due to FIL illness. Sometimes the ones that get put together quickly are the best, ours was!

:) We dock at Old town and tender in, from there we would like to go to Cafe Buza for a drink and bite to eat and then walk the walls( hopefully it will be less crowded and cooler by then). Coud either of you tell me how to get to the cafe from the tender location at old town and then where to enter the walls?

Lee Anne:)

Archived