Dubrovnik

Hi!

Unfortunately....everything was gone! but I'm glad you were able to retrieve yours...what a relief!

finally got the recovery disks from HP, so still in the restoring process

Christmas ornaments...

2 resources for you..

If you go into my website, into the Croatia link, you will see Bonus Albums at the bottom of the page, click on that ...go into the 1st album that says

follow us..on page 5 is the red and white traditional croatian design...behind the chickens you can kind of see an egg with a ribbon on it...that is one style..which you

will see all over the place

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

the others are actually Easter Eggs which they have put ribbons on and a come in a host designs. Which are

perfect to hang on a Christmas tree

Here's a link for more info for you, but you can dig further on google..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatian_pisanica

K

Hi!

Unfortunately....everything was gone! but I'm glad you were able to retrieve yours...what a relief!

finally got the recovery disks from HP, so still in the restoring process

Christmas ornaments...

2 resources for you..

If you go into my website, into the Croatia link, you will see Bonus Albums at the bottom of the page, click on that ...go into the 1st album that says

follow us..on page 5 is the red and white traditional croatian design...behind the chickens you can kind of see an egg with a ribbon on it...that is one style..which you

will see all over the place

the others are actually Easter Eggs which they have put ribbons on and a come in a host designs. Which are

perfect to hang on a Christmas tree

Here's a link for more info for you, but you can dig further on google..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatian_pisanica

K

Before I say anything else, let me say that your web site is amazing! I see more everytime I go in there. You really do an amazing job!!! Next I'd like to thank you for the info, I will have to find me one of those for sure. Are they very expensive? They definately are fragile! I have this horrible vision of spending $40 and then having it be in pieces before it gets home.

The last thing I'd like to ask you is what is that amazing place that you titled your new home in the same album???? Did you actually make it down to the entrance? How in the world did you find it? Please elaborate! I think you should plan trips for people! I know I'd love to travel with you!

I am so very sorry about your computer. It is very, VERY obvious how much work you do for your trips... how organized you are and I can only imagine what you lost.

Hi Everyone!

On this thread in particular, I feel like we have become kindof board buddies so please check out my blog today 6/20...

K

Karen,

I am sooo sorry about your computer, that is terrible! i can only imagine what you lost. That hapened to us a few years ago and unfortunately we had not backed everything up and I lost so many important/precious things!

Lee Anne :)

Before I say anything else, let me say that your web site is amazing! I see more everytime I go in there. You really do an amazing job!!!

Next I'd like to thank you for the info, I will have to find me one of those for sure. Are they very expensive? They definately are fragile! I have this horrible vision of spending $40 and then having it be in pieces before it gets home.

The last thing I'd like to ask you is what is that amazing place that you titled your new home in the same album???? Did you actually make it down to the entrance? How in the world did you find it? Please elaborate! I think you should plan trips for people! I know I'd love to travel with you!

I am so very sorry about your computer. It is very, VERY obvious how much work you do for your trips... how organized you are and I can only imagine what you lost.

Thank you for the compliment on our website...it's been a labor of love!!!

We love to immerse ourselves wherever we travel to, to do so requires a lot of organization. Also, that is just our personalitys..

It doesn't mean that we aren't plan b or living in the moment travelers..

we just want to make sure we know all there is to see and do and not miss out on something we would have really enjoyed! :)

We are completly shocked how many views the site has recieved in just 3 months...seriously just shocked! :eek:

The eggs are made of wood or maybe a type of plastic and painted over...

at least the ones I was looking at, I know at Easter they are real eggs with the egg blown out,

we saw a small exhibit in the Ethnographic Museum showing how it was done.

The cost was about 21-29 Kuna, the exchange rate in May... 45 kuna was 10 USD.

Our New home picture was taken outside of the Pile Gate in a cove next to Fort St. Lawrence..

.if you watched the Amazing Race that is where the zip line was....

Did you "get" the very 1st picture on that Album,

it's a subtle reference :D :D :D

autoskola..as in us learning how to "navigate" our

stay throughout Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro!

Keep wandering the site, there's all sorts of nooks and crannies...

I will be adding more ...just need to restore all of the great things/ideas I had bookmarked

to share on the website with everyone..

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Caroline:

As of yet, I haven't notices any of those talking headsets just for town. They do have them on the open air sightseeing bus, which I did last week. It was 2 hours and took me all around the entire town, old and new. Carnival is one of the biggest ships and always has been docked in the Gruz which means you could board the bus just at the main bus terminal. Cost is 90 kuna and it must be Kuna they do not have change for other currencies. You can also take the bus transfer into town and it will drop you at the Pile Gate which is western entrance into the old town.

I can recommend someone, so contact me personally so I can give you a name and phone number.

Dobra Dosli

Carol

casosa54@gmail.com

Would you recommend one entrance over the other?

Depending on the weather or your time available, might I suggest a visit to the island of LOKRUM which is about 20 mins from Dubrovnik ..... boats leave from the harbour. It is a natural park, with nice walks (including one that's pretty exhausting in the heat up to the look out point), a restaurant, a few peacocks and peace and quiet! Make sure that your ticket price includes the cost of admission to the island .... and take a bottle of water with you in the heat!

;) We will be in Dubrovnik for one day and my kids have seen pics of parachutes over water, jet skiing, tubing, etc. From what i have been able to research, these things might be offered at the Copacabana but it doesn't sound like it is a sandy beach (for us old folks). Is there any sandy beach that has all of these activities also? I have also tried to find out how much they might cost but have not had any luck. Any ideas? Is it hard to get to the beaches? Thanks. andi

Dobra Dan:

There is only one sandy type of beach in Lapad and Copacabana beach has activities. There are no websites showing the costs of the activities, your on vacation so just enjoy yourself.

If you do stay in Lapad for the day, then you won't have time to visit any of the historical sites. Decide what you want to see and please understand weekends our tourist count can run as high as 30,000.

May I suggest you do some research and decide exactly what you wish to see and do while you are here for only one afternoon.

Dobro Dosli

Will the open air city sightseeing bus operate on Sunday? I know a lot of things are closed on Sundays.

Thanks for the help.

Dobra Dan:

Yes, the Cabrio city tour bus does run on Sunday. And you can get aboard this wonderful bus at the Pile Gate. This is the drop off point for the cruise shuttle buses coming in from the Gruz.

I have no idea if the shuttle is free or there may be a very nominal cost but do get yourself into the old town as early as possible.

This past Saturday there were 30,000 tourists wandering around Stari Grad. Please do plan your visit and know exactly what sites interest you and use the map to locate them.

Dobro Dosli

Depending on the weather or your time available, might I suggest a visit to the island of LOKRUM which is about 20 mins from Dubrovnik ..... boats leave from the harbour. It is a natural park, with nice walks (including one that's pretty exhausting in the heat up to the look out point), a restaurant, a few peacocks and peace and quiet! Make sure that your ticket price includes the cost of admission to the island .... and take a bottle of water with you in the heat!

Dobra Dan:

A visit to the island of Lokrum is a very nice experience. The island is a national preserve, they do have a small cafe and the museum is set in the cloister of a ruined 10th Century Benedictine Monastery.

Your boat ticket is the only ticket you need to visit the island. The museum may charge a small amount to visit, and I have not been there for some time now. however Lokrum is where locals go to swim and escape the heat and the tourists. There is no beach, just jump off the rocks into the sea. So faint of heart, think twice.

Dobro Dosli

Would you recommend one entrance over the other?

Dobra Dan:

The cruises line shuttle will drop off all passengers at the Pile Gate. They do not stop at the other gate, which is called Ploce. You can, however, wait through town and visit the Lazereti which is the old quarantine house. This area is now home to traditional folk dancing, Monday and Friday only at 2130. Also there are several artisans workshops, such as Desa.

Dobra Dosli

Dobra Dan:

The cruises line shuttle will drop off all passengers at the Pile Gate. They do not stop at the other gate, which is called Ploce. You can, however, wait through town and visit the Lazereti which is the old quarantine house. This area is now home to traditional folk dancing, Monday and Friday only at 2130. Also there are several artisans workshops, such as Desa.

Dobra Dosli

Exactly where is Lazereti? I noticed a ship tour taking passengers back through a gate and ending with watching traditional folk dancing. This must be the place. Since the tours are half day the dancing must be at mid day? Did you mean 12:30pm or 9:30pm? Is it out in the open? What is the charge etc?

Dear Travelady,

Last year, my husband and I spent 4 wonderful days in your fabulous city. We took a historic walking tour of the old city and afterwards, visited the interiors of all the buildings of note, we climbed the wall & walked the ramparts, we drove to the mountaintop to see Dubrovnik on a "platter," had dinner at Konavoski Dvori & drove to Trsteno, Ston and the Peljesac Penninsula.

In July, we will be on a cruise & visiting Dubrovnik for the day. Do you have any suggestions of how to best use our time?

Thanks so much & I look forward to hearing from you.:cool:

Exactly where is Lazereti? I noticed a ship tour taking passengers back through a gate and ending with watching traditional folk dancing. This must be the place. Since the tours are half day the dancing must be at mid day? Did you mean 12:30pm or 9:30pm? Is it out in the open? What is the charge etc?

The Lindo dancing is on Monday & Friday evening at 2130. It is at the Lazeriti area, which is just outside the Ploce gate. If your ship sails anytime prior to 2330, you will not be able to watch the dancing. Please learn the 24 clock prior to your arrival, as it is how everything is listed here in Dubrovnik.

Dobro Dosli

Karen and Carol... I felt good about my plans for the day here but in looking at my "plans" they are not really plans but a list of to do's.:cool: So maybe I'm not too good at this planning thing and I need help from you organized travelers!! We dock at 2:30 ( old town port) till midnight with a company dinner at 8pm. I want to do the walls, Fransican Monastary, St. Blaises and Cathedral. Want to buy a Ronchi hat...thank you Carol..and was hoping for a drink at Buza maybe watch the divers. With this business dinner at 8( it's throwing me off) I'm not sure what to do in what order and the map.. ok is just confusing me. Karen I know you are shaking head at my not being able to take off my training wheels you and carol gave me, but what can I say???

Will you help???

Lee Anne:)

Hi!

ok, this is if you are going to do the wall later in the day...

as soon as you enter through the old harbor you will see St. Blaise on the left, you can then walk left towards the Rector Palace for the Cathedral.

you can then head to Buza..back track to the wall entrance by the Maritime Museum...when you exit the walls at Pile, the Franciscan Monastary is right there, just double check the times it is opened..

this is all VERY close together...not a problem..

public bathrooms are in the Rectors Palace..

Don't worry once you are there with your map, you will

think...what was I worried about :)

Dear Travelady,

Last year, my husband and I spent 4 wonderful days in your fabulous city. We took a historic walking tour of the old city and afterwards, visited the interiors of all the buildings of note, we climbed the wall & walked the ramparts, we drove to the mountaintop to see Dubrovnik on a "platter," had dinner at Konavoski Dvori & drove to Trsteno, Ston and the Peljesac Penninsula.

In July, we will be on a cruise & visiting Dubrovnik for the day. Do you have any suggestions of how to best use our time?

Thanks so much & I look forward to hearing from you.:cool:

It appears that you have visited the major sites of Dubrovnik. Do some research on visiting Cavtat, you can pick up a local boat which takes you down there. However there is another small boat which takes you to visit the Elafiti islands, which is lovely. All of these choices are in the old port, which is easy to locate. Or perhaps you would like to have coffee with me at the Gradska Kavana?

Dobro Dosli

Carol

Karen and Carol... I felt good about my plans for the day here but in looking at my "plans" they are not really plans but a list of to do's.:cool: So maybe I'm not too good at this planning thing and I need help from you organized travelers!! We dock at 2:30 ( old town port) till midnight with a company dinner at 8pm. I want to do the walls, Fransican Monastary, St. Blaises and Cathedral. Want to buy a Ronchi hat...thank you Carol..and was hoping for a drink at Buza maybe watch the divers. With this business dinner at 8( it's throwing me off) I'm not sure what to do in what order and the map.. ok is just confusing me. Karen I know you are shaking head at my not being able to take off my training wheels you and carol gave me, but what can I say???

Will you help???

LeeAnne: If you can print the map which I proveded both sides. You can also pick one up in town on the Siroka Ulica at the tourist office. They show the route for several different walks in the old town. It's not a very big town, but you must understand there are MANY other tourists visiting Dubrovnik at the same time. You will only be able to do a certain amount of walking because of the crowds.

Dobro Dosli

Carol

Karen and Carol, Thank you once again for your detailed help:) I know you're right Karen, once there it will all make sense. I'm just trying to be on top of our port stops so once there we can just enjoy. Yes Carol, I understand about the crowds especially the day I'm in with 12 ships!!! I'm glad we get in late hopefully it will help.

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.gifspacer.gif I will be traveling to Dubrovnik on a Princess cruise leaving out of Venice on July 23rd. I am currently signed up for a princess cruise called "Country Home In Konavle" should I bother using Princess or are there guides right off the ship.

Is it worth going to the Country Home in Konavle or should I just stay in Dubronik.

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I just copied and pasted some of the great tips on here for our upcoming trip. I have a question which I have never seen before. When you get up on the wall, is there a certain direction which everyone must walk or can you walk either way? I'm also a little confused as to where the shuttle drops you off. It has been mentioned on this thread that the shuttle drop off is near the Pile Gate and the tender drop off is near the entrance to the Aquarium. Does that mean if I want to enter the gate near the Aquarium, I do not need a shuttle? We are on the Emerald Princess.

We are also planning on having lunch at Orhan Restaurant. The email on their website is invalid. Do I need to make a reservation beforehand or can I just walk in? There are 2 other ships in port that day with a pax load of 6,354. Thanks again.

Bonnie

If it helps in responding to my above question regarding the tour Country Home Tour in Konavle. This is my first time to Dubrovnik and I am increasingly thinking that I should just do a separate tour in Dubronik and see the sites in town plus the wall.

Dobra Dan:

Yes you should stay in Dubrovnik and see the sights. You are only in town for one day, why go somewhere else. Walk the wall in the early morning, if possible. It is very crowded, but if you plan your day properly all the sights can be seen in one afternoon. Princess usually docks in the new port called Gruz and you should buy the shuttle transfer into Stari Grad (old town). I did post the tourist map, use it to plan your day. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik, it is "The Pearl of the Adriatic."

Dobro Dosli

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I just copied and pasted some of the great tips on here for our upcoming trip. I have a question which I have never seen before. When you get up on the wall, is there a certain direction which everyone must walk or can you walk either way? I'm also a little confused as to where the shuttle drops you off. It has been mentioned on this thread that the shuttle drop off is near the Pile Gate and the tender drop off is near the entrance to the Aquarium. Does that mean if I want to enter the gate near the Aquarium, I do not need a shuttle? We are on the Emerald Princess.

We are also planning on having lunch at Orhan Restaurant. The email on their website is invalid. Do I need to make a reservation beforehand or can I just walk in? There are 2 other ships in port that day with a pax load of 6,354. Thanks again.

Bonnie

Dobra Dan:

Princess is usually at anchor in the new port, called the Gruz. Use the shuttle bus from the ship to Stari Grad (old town) and it will drop you at the Pile Gate. This is the western entrance into the old town and one of the four entrances on the walls is just inside. It is, however, the one with the most steps and always jammed with guests. I always use the entrance nearest to the aquarium because I like beginning at the eastern side of town. Also there are the fewest steps and since there is a total of 650 steps on the entire wall, I like to start easy. You may go either direction, but the flow is better if you follow the sign which reads "recommend direction". If you make the entire wall and you can come down and be near to the Cathedral and St. Blaise Church and work you way down back to the Pile. By all means download the tourist map, it is excellent and all sights are marked.

Just had my birthday lunch at Orhan, it was wonderful. And today I had lunch at a small konabe called Nava. It is my favorite place in town, but there is no view and it is located on a small side street just off the Stradun. Funny how everyone wants to have good food, water view and inexpensive prices. Today I had fresh grilled baby squid, my husband had veal, we had 1/2 litre of wine. The cost was about $20 per person, before tip. Typical Dalmatian cooking is not fancy, it is very basic food and always fresh. You probably won't need a reservation at Orhan because it is off the beaten path and everyone is going into Nautika just above. Restaurant reservations are rare here, they fill the table and if you want to wait until someone leaves, that's ok. Life here is very easy going, there is no high stress levels. I love being here away from the pace of the US. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Dobro Dosli

Dobra Dan:

Princess is usually at anchor in the new port, called the Gruz. Use the shuttle bus from the ship to Stari Grad (old town) and it will drop you at the Pile Gate. This is the western entrance into the old town and one of the four entrances on the walls is just inside. It is, however, the one with the most steps and always jammed with guests. I always use the entrance nearest to the aquarium because I like beginning at the eastern side of town. Also there are the fewest steps and since there is a total of 650 steps on the entire wall, I like to start easy. You may go either direction, but the flow is better if you follow the sign which reads "recommend direction". If you make the entire wall and you can come down and be near to the Cathedral and St. Blaise Church and work you way down back to the Pile. By all means download the tourist map, it is excellent and all sights are marked.

Just had my birthday lunch at Orhan, it was wonderful. And today I had lunch at a small konabe called Nava. It is my favorite place in town, but there is no view and it is located on a small side street just off the Stradun. Funny how everyone wants to have good food, water view and inexpensive prices. Today I had fresh grilled baby squid, my husband had veal, we had 1/2 litre of wine. The cost was about $20 per person, before tip. Typical Dalmatian cooking is not fancy, it is very basic food and always fresh. You probably won't need a reservation at Orhan because it is off the beaten path and everyone is going into Nautika just above. Restaurant reservations are rare here, they fill the table and if you want to wait until someone leaves, that's ok. Life here is very easy going, there is no high stress levels. I love being here away from the pace of the US. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Dobro Dosli

Croatian Travelady - Thank you for the excellent tips. Would you recommend walking from Pile Gate to the wall entrance near the aquarium (if so, how long a walk is it?) or just take a cab from the port to the aquarium (if so, how much would it cost - and do taxis take Euros or only Kunas?) Finally, we are traveling with our 10 year old son. We heard of an ice cream parlor where the servers put on quite a show. Do you know the name and where it is located? For lunch, we were also considering Orhan or Polkisar. Any thoughts? My apologies if you have already answered these questions. I am slowly reading through the thread.

Cheers,

Jennifer in Ottawa, Canada

Croatian Travelady - Thank you for the excellent tips. Would you recommend walking from Pile Gate to the wall entrance near the aquarium (if so, how long a walk is it?) or just take a cab from the port to the aquarium (if so, how much would it cost - and do taxis take Euros or only Kunas?) Finally, we are traveling with our 10 year old son. We heard of an ice cream parlor where the servers put on quite a show. Do you know the name and where it is located? For lunch, we were also considering Orhan or Polkisar. Any thoughts? My apologies if you have already answered these questions. I am slowly reading through the thread.

Cheers,

Jennifer in Ottawa, Canada

Jennifer:

The entrance to the city walls near the aquarium is within the old town and you can't get there by taxi. You can enter the old town from the Pile gate and walk down to the aquarium and locate the entrance which is not very easy to find. You can also go up at the Pile gate, however it is always very busy, crowded and has the most steps. The city walls will take dollars, pounds, euros and kunas. There are several ATM's located on the Stradun and you can get the local currency immediately. Please do remember it is very busy, very hot and you must have water and good walking shoes.

Locals don't eat out very often and when we do it is always at restaurant which is usually places without a view as we are more interested in good food.

As for ice cream, there is a stand on every corner and I have never seen any which puts on a show but that doesn't mean there isn't one like that. You must get the name or location from someone who told you about it.

My favorite restaurants are Orhan and Nava, again it's all about the food. Dalmatian cooking is not fancy, just basics with no sauces only a few herbs, such as parsley and basil. The fresh fish is always my first choice, especially grilled baby squid.

Dobro Dosli

Archived