I Hope They Don't Do This........

sail7seas

That would be good if they would send them only to the folks that want them. I usually put all mine in the recycle without reading them. It's a real waste. I've got no time to read them and also need to take them time to shread the page with my name and address. It's a bit of a pain.

I agree, they should be sent on request only. As much as I enjoy a book over the internet, I hate to see our tree supply diminished for something that will end up in the trash without being looked at.

I think they are already target mailing brochures. We are only receiving Carribean mailings (which I have indicated in the "win a cruise surveys). My parents get different ones. I like receiving the brochures because they highlight the "unique" itineraries that are difficult to find on their website (one port substituted for a usual one). Frankly, their website needs a lot of work before I think it could be used as their sole selling portal.

Although, the last "major" brochure I received was pretty much outdated by the time I got it. There were no 2009 intineraries so that was a waste of postage.

BTW, I'm 33, read a local newspaper everyday (national and internation news through the web), booked our last cruise through a TA I found online, and I would really miss the pretty brochures for our next cruise, whenever it may be.

We love the brochures. I think of them as I did the old "wish books" that used to come out at Christmas time.

We love to pour over the itineraries and drool over the places we have yet to go. I use them alot in planning.

While we were on the Veendam, the cruise consultant's printer wasn't working for the 21 days that we were on the ship. She had to use the printer in the Pinnacle Grill - which wasn't of good quality. And since her desk was close to the counter of the cafe, she was constantly having to jump up and run and get whatever she printed out.

Thanks for starting this thread Sail7seas!

I enjoy getting the brouchers and dream of the different cruises I could take. If people don't want them in their mail boxes maybe they could contact HAL and be removed from the mailing list. Even if they just throw the broucher in the thrash at least HAL but a thought in their mind about their cruise line. Then they can get online or call their TA and find out if there are any new cruises or discounts available.

I have enjoyed the paper brochures and have ordered the ones I wanted from HAL or my TA. Lately I have been de-cluttering my life and find it quite freeing.But The main reason I started using the online versions is so I can increase to size of the print.This makes reading the fine print so much more comfortable. Don't know if this is age related or not as you don't have to be old to have poor vision.(I am 48):rolleyes:

There is some room for improvement in HAL's website though...But it is better than Cunard's:eek:

Denise

And becausue your're in a suite squiring it off when you want. For the rest, shirt and trousers will do.

Oh, dear. We've never been in a suite, but DH looks so great in his white dinner jacket. Do we have to leave it at home now? :( Nancy

As for us, it was the HAL brochure that I requested that got us started with this line vs. competitor. Not only do I book for the current year using the brochure but it allows me to easily see other itineraries on other ships that we might want to sail. By the time we take our cruise the brochure is pretty well worn by looking at it so frequently and enjoying doing so. Also, we never get one automatically, it is always requested because we would never want to waste an excellent brochure if we didn't have an interest in that particular region of the world. Hope that they don't discontinue printing for those of us that love to get them.

We've only received brochures when requested of our TA, and if she didn't have them , we requested for them from HAL. This week, we received the 2009 Europe brochure and never requested it! :confused: They're still sending them and I'd missed them, too, if they were only available online. (I'm surprised at the number of items being tossed in the trash. Our newspapers, magazines and brochures are all recycled.)

What is more tempting to a cruiser on a ship, having a fantastic time than to look through a polished, pretty brochure and dream about their next cruise. While they may not have even considered booking another cruise when they first came aboard, seeing the brochures could well plant the idea a little more firmly in their heads to go ahead and book a future cruise.

There has to be a way for HAL to have an 'opt in or opt out' of receiving brochures. Make them (mostly) by request only? Do an opt in or out mass e-mailing?

Most of the folks who would say No, no brochures, would be those who have and use their computers so HAL would be reaching most of those folks with an e-mail questionairre. Would cut down hugely on waste of sending to people who don't want them.

. (I'm surprised at the number of items being tossed in the trash. Our newspapers, magazines and brochures are all recycled.)

I'm sure most people's cities and towns recycle and when they say threw in the trash, a great many are recycling. I keep a bin for recycling all paper but still use the verbage 'put it in the trash'. Once it is in the recycle bin, it really is now trash for our household.

I collect brochures from every cruise line that I might possibly sail. If my sister phones and says "I'm taking such and such a cruise" I can grab the brochure, look it up, and discuss her ship with her without having to log on. I can lay three brochures out side by side and evaluate deck plans easily instead of squinting at a screen.

It's a lot easier to fall asleep in bed with a brochure in your hands than a laptop! Although I'm sure some company will someday produce a model that's not only soft and bendable, when you drop it, it will bounce :)

I like the glossy brochures, too (easy to clean off the drool). But, if HAL quit making the hard copies and just had e-brochures, I could live with that.

Now, if HAL gets rid of the YUM-YUM MAN, they've got a fight on their hands.

Perhaps the lines should simply print fewer and smaller brochures - Rather than dozens of booklets with so much overlap, they could create a group of brochures that showed itineraries & detailing the ports and another single brochure would cover the ships, deckplans and include their annual schedules - Folks and TA's would simply cross-reference between the two.

(Of course, that would mean that HAL would have to decide to publish schedules far earlier in advance than they are accustomed...)

Some pretty interesting comments. Now I will share some info regarding the forestry industry in Canada. It is in the worst share it has been in recent memory. Mills are closing, OSB plants are closing forest devestation due to the Pine Beetle. While some of the recent problems can be attributed to gas prices (transportation costs), the increased value of the CDN dollar, downturn in housing starts in the USA, trade agreements with the USA, there has also been over foresting - hence my comments of "save our forests". I just think we need to look at ways to better utilize our natural resources.

Brewster

Very interesting points brewster, I know what pine beetles can do to a forest, it is awful. All though your points are well taken about Canadian forest, apparently they are still cutting down old growth forest rather then owning and growing their own tree farms but I know that not to be the case, maybe for building lumber but not for paper. Both the US and Canada participate in the SFI, Sustainable Forestry Initiative. The SFI program integrates the perpetual growing and harvesting of trees with the protection of wildlife, plants, soil, water and air quality. What really is killing the paper industry in the US and possible Canada too, is not any of the above, it is paper being brought in from China, Indonesia, South American, S. Korea and Northern Europe. Countries where there are no protection of their forest and they really are devastating their forest for sure. Where labor is cheap and with no environment protections, they can sell paper for a lot cheaper then the US and Canada combined.

Although the devastation of pine beetles is sad but certainly not controllable, I just look at it as mother natures way of thinning out forest, which is nessessary for a health forests to prosper.

Sorry CC'ers I know this has gotten off topic, but all in all I still want and like my brochures.

Very interesting points brewster, I know what pine beetles can do to a forest, it is awful. All though your points are well taken about Canadian forest, apparently they are still cutting down old growth forest rather then owning and growing their own tree farms but I know that not to be the case, maybe for building lumber but not for paper. Both the US and Canada participate in the SFI, Sustainable Forestry Initiative. The SFI program integrates the perpetual growing and harvesting of trees with the protection of wildlife, plants, soil, water and air quality. What really is killing the paper industry in the US and possible Canada too, is not any of the above, it is paper being brought in from China, Indonesia, South American, S. Korea and Northern Europe. Countries where there are no protection of their forest and they really are devastating their forest for sure. Where labor is cheap and with no environment protections, they can sell paper for a lot cheaper then the US and Canada combined.

Although the devastation of pine beetles is sad but certainly not controllable, I just look at it as mother natures way of thinning out forest, which is nessessary for a health forests to prosper.

Sorry CC'ers I know this has gotten off topic, but all in all I still want and like my brochures.

I would not argue with you there and agree they can sell their paper cheaper in the far east. All your points are well made and are correct. Well said. I also agree that at the end of the day some people like brochures and others don't. More companies should allow the consumer to choose whether they want a hard copy or e-brochure. I do not think enough currently provide that option.

I keep a set (or pile?) of assorted

HAL brochures, Mariner magazines,

etc. on my night stand.

I read, and re-read itineraries, etc.

It is good, happy bedtime reading,

and produces good dreams, plans,

and yes, bookings!

PS-- HAL sends me letters and flyers,

but no full brochures unless I request.

At my house FAR more paper is wasted on junk-mail ads than on HAL brochures. And once a week a free "community" newspaper goes directly from my driveway to the recycling bin. Let's ban that stuff first! :D

Absolutly!:(

We have booked half our cruises due to the pics and descriptions in a brochure. Sometimes after looking at it many times. Great sales tool! :)

I love to flip through a brochure and have a cruise idea jump out at me.

The 2009 Europe brochure came in the mail the other day; a day or two later my Ocean & Cruise News arrived, with the 2009 Cruise Planner included.

Last night I sat flipping pages in the Planner and there were two consecutive cruises listed side by side. They made a great pair! Back to the Europe brochure for more info. :)

I'm very interested in something I never thought about before. That wouldn't have happened had I not had those brochures. :D

Archived