Is there a forced overnight in New York?

remydiva

i'm considering booking a cruise out of New York and would be flying in from Phoenix. The Princess office is closed (arghhhhh!) and I wanted to know if there is a forced overnight in New York when you fly from the 'west'. If so, bonus as we would have a free day in New York. Otherwise I need to book a hotel for one night.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the flight schedules...but my that has to be cutting it close once you factor in flight time & time zone changes. I'm not risk adverse...but I don't know that I'd chance it.

But, to the question asked, how would Princess know when you get to NYC if you book on your own?

I wouldn't do a same day flight, especially on a week day. From San Francisco, it's about 5.5 hours, plus a 3 hour time difference. So a 6:00 am flight would arrive at about 2:30 if it's on time. Figure you're not out of the airport until at least 3pm. Unless the ship leaves after 7pm that's risky given afternoon traffic out of the airport.

I think Phoenix might be a bit better, but a 6am flight would arrive at about 2:00 so you're still cutting it close.

Just my opinion.

When you fly out of Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale, they do a forced overnite which I rather like. However, my flight out of PHX this year to FLL left at **** midnite with a plane change at ...yawn...3am or so in Atlanta so by the time we arrived in FLL and on board we were beat.

the cost from YVR is about $400 more than from PHX which is an option which I guess would trigger the forced overnite so it's 6 to 1, half dozen the other to go a day early and stay in a hotel. I noticed many 'shore excursions' in NY which made me think Princess was getting people in early...I'm thinking not.

Guess I'll have to wait till Monday and phone princess myself. Thanks for the feedback tho.

anyone done the NY-Caribbean route? Is it rough seas the end of Oct?

I noticed many 'shore excursions' in NY which made me think Princess was getting people in early...I'm thinking not.

NYC is often a port stop so it is possible the shore excursions listed are for a port stop and not necessairly for your specific cruise. At least that is what I have noticed in the past.

As a New Yorker, if I were you, I'd fly in the day before. All it takes is a brisk wind and flights are delayed at all three airport here.

Come in the day before and take advantge of Manhattan - it's one of the greatest cities in the world!

We would never fly the day of the cruise. Last year it took our group 9 hours to get to New York, normally a two hour flight from Milwaukee, Wis. There were storms and standing water on the runways. A year earlier about 70 people missed the ship because of storms in New York. They had to be bused up to Boston to pickup the ship.

Fly in early and enjoy the city. We are beginning to really like New York City and feeling more comfortable getting around after each trip.

When you fly out of Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale, they do a forced overnite which I rather like. However, my flight out of PHX this year to FLL left at **** midnite with a plane change at ...yawn...3am or so in Atlanta so by the time we arrived in FLL and on board we were beat.

the cost from YVR is about $400 more than from PHX which is an option which I guess would trigger the forced overnite so it's 6 to 1, half dozen the other to go a day early and stay in a hotel. I noticed many 'shore excursions' in NY which made me think Princess was getting people in early...I'm thinking not.

Guess I'll have to wait till Monday and phone princess myself. Thanks for the feedback tho.

anyone done the NY-Caribbean route? Is it rough seas the end of Oct?

No excursions for departing (embarking) passengers but there are ones for (disembarking) passengers with flights after 2 pm or so.

i'm considering booking a cruise out of New York and would be flying in from Phoenix. The Princess office is closed (arghhhhh!) and I wanted to know if there is a forced overnight in New York when you fly from the 'west'. If so, bonus as we would have a free day in New York. Otherwise I need to book a hotel for one night.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

The ships out of NY generally leave between 5 and 8pm. If you are planning your own air travel, you could always take the red eye out of PHX and get to NY in the morning. Between the inevitable airline delays and the NY traffic, I wouldn't trust a flight that got you to NY within an hour of the ship leaving. For peace of mind, (if you don't like the redeye option) you may want to fly out a day early. There are so many great things to see in NY!

Archived