Do you book connecting cabins or a cabin across the hall?

55ChevyLady

My husband and I will be cruising with our 2 girls, ages 13 and 7, next January on the Carnival Ecstasy for a 5 day cruise. We have booked connecting cabins E110 and E114. This will be the first cruise for our girls and the second for us.

We went this past Jan. to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and left them with my parents and next Jan. we are going to celebrate our 26th anniversary and are taking them and it will be a surprise to them... :)

I would like others' opinions on cruising with children who have allowed them to stay in a cabin across the hall who are roughly my girls ages and who have had their children stay in a connecting room, as well as parents who have bunked with their children...

The reason I opted to getting them their own cabin was I just couldn't see all of us in 1 cabin for 5 days with 2 berths, 1 hanging over my bed all night...:( I know it would had been cheaper but the privacy for my husband and me was worth a lot.

Any and all information on past experiences will be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Andrea

We booked a family oceanview room that all 6 of us will share. I figure if we can camp in a motorhome for a week together we can handle it. 3 of the kids are girls but only 1 almost teenager.:p

Last year with our 3 boys we did the connecting rooms and found it a little rough considering they acted like it was just one big room and would come in whenever they wanted :eek: (especially if one was in the other bathroom)(Not very romantic) This year because they are a year older we put them in rooms directly across from us... it's great this way because if they need something we're still close but they can't just barge in.:)

IMHO, if both kids are teens, being directly across the hall is just fine, but when one child is as young as 7, I'm not sure being across the hall is the best idea. Connecting cabins is a better choice.

Although my DH and I had cruised before, we had not taken our children until early '07. I would have been fine with cramming all of us into one room, in order to get a balcony, but my DH insisted that we have two cabins. Because of the age of our children, connecting was the only option for us. In order to save on the cost, we booked two connecting insides, and, much to my surprise, it worked out great. I can't tell you how nice it was to have access to two bathrooms at any given time, plus being able to store things in the two connecting rooms.

I realize that many people opt for the across the hall option, in order to save on the second cabin, but after having experienced connecting, I don't know if I would ever consider across the hall. Plus, of course, you have the peace of mind of your children being "right there" and not having to worry about what is going on across the hall.

The adult privacy was also an issue for us. (And, no, I don't mean anything x-rated.) It was nice to be able to put the kids to sleep, but us still be able to stay up in our own (connecting) cabin, watching TV or just talking about our day or planning activities for the next day.

I do have some recommendations based on our experience. First, make sure that you find your cabin steward ASAP and explain that you need the connecting door (the NCL Sun had one door) unlocked and to please give you a door stopper to prop it open. It won't take you long to determine how wide open you will need it for your family, and remember that you can adjust as needed with the door stopper. Also, plan on bringing something that you can use as a night light in, at least, the children's room, so that everyone can see where they are walking. Make sure that it is one that is flexible enough that it can be pointed in different directions. We wound up having to point ours down, because anything out or up reflected off of the mirror and was too bright for sleeping. (I'm glad I'm typing this because I need to find where I put ours, so I can take it on our July cruise.)

Have a wonderful cruise!

We had connecting cabins. Just like at home, the rule was that a closed door cannot be opened without their knock AND my invitation, so there was plenty of privacy for everybody, but they were near enough that I could sleep well and not worry.

We had connecting cabins for our 14 & 15 year old and we chose when the interior door would be open or closed. It worked very well and yes, having the 2nd bathroom and extra storage was wonderful. We always seem to end up with obstructed view cabins but at least we get some light in to our room.

We've done it both ways. Only on Carnival so i'm not sure how other cruise lines have their staterooms designed. we go for inside, as we're always interested in the cheapest way on the ship. if we chose across the hall, one of the cabins would be oceanview, and therefore more expensive. our kids are 12,10,6, and 22 months. our older 2 children are very good and responsible. our kids are good at bedtime and know that when they're put to bed they are to be quiet and not get up. we did forget our nightlight (which i prefer to have) but i turned the bathroom light on, and just cracked the door. our first experience was adjoining cabins. we thought it was great to be able to have 2 bathrooms and more storage at our disposal. we opted not for a suite that all 6 of us could share, only for cost reasons. we had no worries about the kids sleeping by themselves in the cabin. they were right next to us. the 2nd time we had 2 cabins side-by-side but not adjoining. we were a bit worried that they would have to walk out into the hall to get to our cabin. but to our surprise we liked it better. sound traveled through the adjoining staterooms that we didn't think was a big deal, until we tried the 2nd option. it was nice to have the tv on after they went to bed and not worry about them hearing it. and non-adjoining just provided a bit more privacy. the oldest had a key to our room, so he could come over in case of an emergency if we were sleeping. and they knew how to call us and wake us up if they needed. we will definitely go with non-adjoining from now on. and i think i prefer separate staterooms instead of one large that would hold all 6 of us, even if we could afford it. it's just nice to have the privacy.

I am just curious; you've already booked connecting cabins, which is the best choice, IMO. What difference does it make what other people have done?

I would like to learn from others experiences...it is never too late to change my booking it I decide I have made a mistake.

I value honest opinions from fellow cruisers who have cruised with children and who have their children stay in the various cabin situations that I asked about...

I have learned many things from reading posts on Cruise Critic and I will hopely continue to learn more by asking honest questions and receiving honest replies.

To all who took the time to reply so completely I thank you. Your insight has helped me a lot and has eased my mind. The tip about talking with the room steward was excellent and I had forgotten about needing a night-light...;)

Thank you all for your help and tips...:)

For our first three cruises, our kids were in our balcony cabin with us. On the last of those - when they were 12 and 9 - it felt so crammed. The following year, when they were 13 and 10, we got them a cabin across the hall. I thought I'd be nervous about it but I wasn't at all. That's what we've done since then (mostly on Carnival, once on RCCL -- and they got a promenade cabin on that one). We are very comfortable with this arrangement. We have rules and make sure they deadbolt the lock every night (even this year at 15 and 12). They love the responsibility of being "on their own" and always follow the rules.

Our next cruise, we will have connecting cabins. All other times, we have had them in their own cabin across the hall. The first time they were 12 and 15 yo. As soon as we meet our steward we would inform him/her, in front of our sons, of the situation and to let us know if there was any problems from them and we would take care of it. Happily there has never been any problems and we have been informed that they were some of the best behaved youth on our hall. It is nice for the privacy for all parties and you are just a phone call away.

Our kids are a little younger, but we always book two connecting cabins. It's the perfect combination of value, space, and privacy-even better than most suites! And you get an extra bathroom too! :)

For our first three cruises, our kids were in our balcony cabin with us. On the last of those - when they were 12 and 9 - it felt so crammed. The following year, when they were 13 and 10, we got them a cabin across the hall. I thought I'd be nervous about it but I wasn't at all. That's what we've done since then (mostly on Carnival, once on RCCL -- and they got a promenade cabin on that one). We are very comfortable with this arrangement. We have rules and make sure they deadbolt the lock every night (even this year at 15 and 12). They love the responsibility of being "on their own" and always follow the rules.

I am wondering what rules you give your kids. We have a cruise coming up and we will be in an aft JS with our 1yo DD. Our DS11 and DS13 will be in an interior across the hall. How do you communicate with them? Do you get an extra key for you to get into their room, and how? Did they have a key to your cabin? I am thinking of taking my video baby monitor so that I can see them while in my cabin. I am nervous about anyone getting in to their cabin without my knowledge. What sort of rules did you set up for the cleanliness of their cabin? What kind of consequence would you give if rules were broken? Any and all details would be appreciated

My kids are still young (5 and 3), so there is no question for us...we will share a cabin.

I have to say that honestly, in our family, having cabins across the hall, rather than adjoining will NEVER be an option - even when my kids are teens. There are waaaaaay too many what if's, even with the most responsible children and the best of rules. I wouldn't be comfortable with it AT ALL.

In our family, if we are worried about "privacy" on vacation, then we will leave the kids with their grandparents.

I have no problem with the way others to things...to each their own. Although, I have to say, that I'm actually shocked that this is so widely practiced (leaving young kids to a room themselves across the hall). I would be freaking out worried. :eek:

My kids are still young (5 and 3), so there is no question for us...we will share a cabin.

I have to say that honestly, in our family, having cabins across the hall, rather than adjoining will NEVER be an option - even when my kids are teens. There are waaaaaay too many what if's, even with the most responsible children and the best of rules. I wouldn't be comfortable with it AT ALL.

In our family, if we are worried about "privacy" on vacation, then we will leave the kids with their grandparents.

I have no problem with the way others to things...to each their own. Although, I have to say, that I'm actually shocked that this is so widely practiced (leaving young kids to a room themselves across the hall). I would be freaking out worried. :eek:

We're pretty conservative too but I don't think I'd say that our kids staying in separate rooms will NEVER be an option. I know it's hard to fathom today with two young ones at home, but they grow up fast! Remember the OP's oldest daughter will be a teenager of babysitting age so I don't think being across the hall is a huge problem. The girls would be just as safe in their own stateroom on a cruise as being left at home alone (for short periods).

We're pretty conservative too but I don't think I'd say that our kids staying in separate rooms will NEVER be an option. I know it's hard to fathom today with two young ones at home, but they grow up fast! Remember the OP's oldest daughter will be a teenager of babysitting age so I don't think being across the hall is a huge problem. The girls would be just as safe in their own stateroom on a cruise as being left at home alone (for short periods).

This is true. They do grow up fast, and i should never say NEVER. As for safety...I guess that's where my thoughts are just different than others. Kids will always be just that, KIDS. They do things they shouldn't (even the most responsible ones). They break the rules. Heck, even grown ups do! More importantly, they might be as safe in their stateroom as being left at home for short periods, but it's the entire night. I wouldn't leave my kids at the OP's age at home overnight by themselves, and in my mind it's the same.

Maybe I just can't see it because my kids aren't "old" yet.

As far as I am concerned leaving an underaged person (under the age of 18) to sleep in a stateroom without a adult is like leaving them alone for a night in a hotel room. Anything could happen from them waking up from a nightmare to alot worse.

Princess will not let anyone under the age of 18 alone in a stateroom without an adult but couldn't imagine letting my 16 year old son have a stateroom alone.

I feel that if you don't give kids at least a little bit of responsibility and freedom while they are tweens and teenagers, how will they ever adjust once they leave the nest? When my kids were 5 and 3, I don't think that I could imagine them ever in a separate room. Over the years, we have taught our kids how to be responsible and take care of themselves. They rarely disapoint us. We strive to raise them to be well-adjusted adults someday. Anyway, that "someday" will be coming soon. I think that everyone should make the best decision for their families and not rush to judge others. If there were bad things happening in these situations, RCCL would have pulled the plug on it long ago. Look how they handled the infants cruising under six months issue. One baby got sick and poof, no more babies under 6 months on RCCL.

Our kids are still little so there was no debate. We have to go with ajoining cabins and any family suites were gone at booking time.

I was just going to mention that we had trouble with the kids' door. They had to crawl over the second bed to get to the third one. I mentioned it to the Steward, who promptly removed the door. We still had the door on our side so we could decide when to open and close it.

Privicy is never a problem...then again, with three small kids, I wonder if I remember exactly what that is...

I also just want to add that, with younger kids, if there is any chance of using a sitter in the evening, ajoining cabins is much more useful. I didn't use one on this cruise but in hotels we also get two rooms and then the sitter can relax in the other room after the kids are asleep. We also have the option of calling the sitter in our room without the risk of waking the children.

I think it'll be a long, long time before I would even consider having them in an entirely separate room but I'm glad this issue came up here so we can ponder it for both cruises and hotels.

I'm sure these children who stay alone are versed on what to do in a fire (where the emergency exits are) and all the rules regarding when and to whom to open the door. Remind them to always take the room key in an emergency (the ex-Flight Attendant talking!) If there's smoke, your children should know to crawl at knee level as this is where the least dangerous fumes are and to take a towel to cover their faces.

Also as a Flight Attendant, a condition to all hotels had to be an eyehole in the door. My airline wouldn't sign contracts with hotels that didn't have one (and outside the U.S., they're not that common). If the airlines wouldn't allow us adult employees to stay somewhere without them, I would ask about this at booking, as it may influence your decision.

Yes, our emergency training included hotel safety. In my 13 years with the airlines, we had more accidents and incidents in the hotels than in the air. Just something to consider...

Oh, and try to explain all this before you cruise. It's tricky to not scare kids but to make them aware and be sure they're informed. Make it clear that this is information they hopefully and most likely, will never have to use.

I am SO glad I posted this question! I never imagined getting so many responses...but I am so glad this has started. I wanted to hear from others who have cruised with their children and everyone taking the time to share their experiences has been great and I hope others contribute as well...

Yes, we are going with the connecting cabins! Yes, we wanted some privacy and no leaving my girls behind was not an option bec. we did that on our last cruise.The connecting cabin gave us extra space and I didn't want my girls across the hall because I couldn't "see" them and I knew my 7 year old would not stay there anyway. I felt they were still too young and I would worry about them too much.

I thank everyone again for contributing and please keep it up...:)

Our kids are still little so there was no debate. We have to go with ajoining cabins and any family suites were gone at booking time.

I was just going to mention that we had trouble with the kids' door. They had to crawl over the second bed to get to the third one. I mentioned it to the Steward, who promptly removed the door. We still had the door on our side so we could decide when to open and close it.

Privicy is never a problem...then again, with three small kids, I wonder if I remember exactly what that is...

I also just want to add that, with younger kids, if there is any chance of using a sitter in the evening, ajoining cabins is much more useful. I didn't use one on this cruise but in hotels we also get two rooms and then the sitter can relax in the other room after the kids are asleep. We also have the option of calling the sitter in our room without the risk of waking the children.

I think it'll be a long, long time before I would even consider having them in an entirely separate room but I'm glad this issue came up here so we can ponder it for both cruises and hotels.

Just to be clear, adjoining rooms are rooms that are next to each other but don't have a door between the rooms. Connecting rooms are two adjoining rooms with a door in between.

I was on the phone with a cruise line last week and, when we were unable to find a room for 4 in the area we wanted, he suggested the room across the hall setup. I was a bit shocked, and pointed out that the kids would only be 6 and 12 but it sounds like his suggestion wasn't that unheard of. The baby monitor is a good idea, though--especially if you have a video one.

One class of ship on Carnival (the Miracle is one of the ships in that class) has a couple of balcony staterooms that connect to inside cabins. Those would be perfect, but I'll bet they book up pretty quickly.

Archived