Am I paying too much for Buenos Aires TRANSFERS ? ? ?

Crown Prince

Cost of transfers

(1) $US 60. 10:30 AM on 12 January, EZE to THE ART HOTEL.

(2) $US 50. Early Morning, 14 January - Hotel to AEP airport for Igauzu Falls flight.

(3) $US 50. Evening, 16 January - AEP airport to Hotel.

(4) $US 40. 10:30 AM, 17 January to cruise port.

Taxis were quite inexpensive in Buenos Aires. I have no idea when it comes to the airport AEP, but our hotel was further than yours and we ordered a special van because we were three and my mother... well, she doesn't pack efficiently. In any case, we paid a lot less. The hotel called a remis for us, which is more expensive, but we could easily specify that we needed a minivan.

For the airport EZE, it's a fixed price. As you walk out of the secure zone, they have a booth for the regular taxis, with two people taking orders. This are the white taxis called Taxi Ezeiza. The Remis are avialable but much more expensive.

According to the website for the airport authority, a taxi to downtown is about $10 for AEP. See http://www.aa2000.com.ar/index.php

Crown Prince Go to the the Buenos Aires Forum on Tripadvisor. There are so many helpful people who live or travel frequently to Buenos Aires and they will give you the info you need that is current. I have gotten so much info there - a very valuable source.

Check out the cE Design Hotel in BA. They told me they provide free transfers - which I take to mean from the domestic airport to their hotel, and maybe from their hotel to the cruise pier.

The name of the hotel I was thinking about that told me they offer free local transportation is the Design Suites located at M. T. de Alvear 1683.

The cE Design Hotel is located at M. T. de Alvear 1695.

Very confusing situation with similar names and on the same street.

Both are recommended by Fodor's 2006 (which means it was written in 2005 and who knows when the reviewer actually set foot in these places, if ever).

Contact the hotel via email and ask questions and checkout the reviews on TripAdvisor.

Good luck.

That is expensive!!!

There's a very trustful company called 'Manuel Tienda Leon' (google that and you will find their site) they have a booth right ouside customs to the left at the international airport.

I just checked and a private taxi from the airport to downtown Buenos Aires is 35 dollars (1 dollar = 3.1 pesos).

Also they have buses running from the airport to downtown.

One 'tip' for Buenos Aires is that the taxi drivers don't expect a tip. We pay what the meter says and in the case of the services from the airport you pay upfront at the airport (credit cards or dollars are also accepted).

Enjoy your visit here!

You are welcome! I'm glad I help you save some money and worry about one thing less! :)

This forum is helping me so much with my future cruise that I'm trying to give a little back with the knowledge about my city.

gdimanzo:

It is only $38 USD by Taxi from EZE to TERMINAL MADERO (Ida y Vuelta) - I guess that is the CBD.

Crown Prince,

you do realize that "Ida y Vuelta" means "round trip." I thought you were only going to EZE once.

M

• 2 weeks later...

CAN YOU SPELL RIP OFF?

For these prices you should be getting a stretch and champagne.

Until June 1 a one way taxi from the international EZE airport into Palermo ( where the Art is located) used to cost about A$ 70 or less than $25 (at A$ 3.15 per US$) assuming you could get a non-corrupt , non-mafia cab which you could if you walked to the side of the terminal. Otherwise it was A$ 100. In June taxi fares increased 22% and the US $ is now 3.03 so factor those things in to the cost.

A taxi from the pier to nearby Palermo was about US$ 8 so maybe it is $10 after the increase.

The local airport is also close to Palermo/the Art Hotel so a cab would now run about $10.

Watch out for false bills when you get change. Best to have exact change when you pay and watch out that they don't claim your bill was false, ask for a replacement, and return a counterfeit to you instead of the one you gave . Be watchful. Poverty and Envy cause crime.

HI, OWL:

I had forgotten about the counterfeits. I have to remember to get small bills. The Art Hotel website claims to be in Recoleta; however, they seem fairly close to one another.

So, in January, what do you figure the taxi will cost from EZE to Recoleta? :confused:

How do the Legitimate Taxis look different from the unscrupulous guys?

Thanks for your help. :D

HI, OWL:

I had forgotten about the counterfeits. I have to remember to get small bills. The Art Hotel website claims to be in Recoleta; however, they seem fairly close to one another.

So, in January, what do you figure the taxi will cost from EZE to Recoleta? :confused:

Did you really turn your trip over to a tour company?????

JMHO, but you really can do this entire trip yourself and save quite a bit of money. South America as a general rule is VERY easy (not like some areas of the world-Asia in particular) and BA is the easiest of all. Lots of English speakers and they are used to dealing with American tourists.

I am not much help in BA because I don't particularly like BA (too European for me).

Loose the tour company-ESPECIALLY if they are charging you premiums just for booking stuff.

HI, OWL:

The address on Ascuenega is Barrio Norte and I doubt that where it is located is properly part of the Recoleta neighborhood - though it is close. Barrio Norte subsumes Palermo neighborhood - but it is pretty academic as the name of the barrio is not going to affect significantly the cost of taxi to /from EZE , the domestic airport, or the pier.

I might suggest calling a Remise. Has the Hotel offered one? Expect to pay A$100 for a remise and about A$85 if you can catch a moderately honest cab. If you have to catch a cab I suggest walking around to the side of the terminal when you exit. The cabs that are stationed in front are regular cabs, but there is a criminal element that in cooperation with local gendarmes does not allow honest cabs to get in the line for passenger pick ups. The police simply don't let them enter the taxi waiting point unless they agree to participate in the rip off scheme by kicking back A$20 ( now maybe more) to the police. It is disgusting and I do all I can to avoid the lowlife Argentinians who engage in this highway robbery. If you can not avoid the scumbags , expect to pay A$120.

Avoid old looking cabs. They tend to be the ones with dishonest drivers and / or to be pirate cabs.

Did you really turn your trip over to a tour company????? NO

JMHO, but you really can do this entire trip yourself and save quite a bit of money. South America as a general rule is VERY easy (not like some areas of the world-Asia in particular) and BA is the easiest of all. Lots of English speakers and they are used to dealing with American tourists.

I am doing H-9 Tour Post (with Princess) Santiago 1 night San Cristobal Tower; Lima one night, Melia Lima; Cusco one night, Liberator; O.E. to Machu Picchu; one night Cuzco, Liberator; one night Lima, Melia; - fly home. Yes, I even bought the Orient Express because I had wanted to do it in Oz in 2002 but the timing wasn't right for my post-cruise that I did all on my own using their great B&Bs. Shortly thereafter, the OE was scratched from Oz (too expensive for them). Between the flights, coaches, & rail - I felt it too much for my CruiseHeimer brain.

PRE-CRUISE: I AM doing it all on my own. I've already scratched a few private guides in B.A: Dante (way too arrogant) and then there is Ana Luna who is just too far out there to suit me. I'm still thinking of Daniel & Defrancateur.

I still have not bought my air from B.A. to Igauzu for my 2 days there, and it keeps going up in price. But that is pretty easy.

MY BIGGEST DILEMMA NOW: Remember, I got that great rate for International LAX > B.A. (via Santiago) and return after cruise from Santiago to LAX (non stop). Well, since I added the tour, I don't end up in SCL. I end up in Lima, Peru and I see > $700 for this international LIM > SCL and the times suck. My inbound is supposed to leave SCL at 11:55 PM on 7 February. Since I have not paid for my beginning international ticket yet, should I try to change it (booked on LAN Chili) to inbound Lima > LAX

I am not much help in BA because I don't particularly like BA (too European for me).

Loose the tour company-ESPECIALLY if they are charging you premiums just for booking stuff.

I shall ask my Art Hotel about the transfer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help again, Great all the time (not just in the morning). ;)

Did you really turn your trip over to a tour company????? NO

I am doing H-9 Tour Post (with Princess) Santiago 1 night San Cristobal Tower; Lima one night, Melia Lima; Cusco one night, Liberator; O.E. to Machu Picchu; one night Cuzco, Liberator; one night Lima, Melia; - fly home. Yes, I even bought the Orient Express because I had wanted to do it in Oz in 2002 but the timing wasn't right for my post-cruise that I did all on my own using their great B&Bs. Shortly thereafter, the OE was scratched from Oz (too expensive for them). Between the flights, coaches, & rail - I felt it too much for my CruiseHeimer brain.

PRE-CRUISE: I AM doing it all on my own. I've already scratched a few private guides in B.A: Dante (way too arrogant) and then there is Ana Luna who is just too far out there to suit me. I'm still thinking of Daniel & Defrancateur.

I still have not bought my air from B.A. to Igauzu for my 2 days there, and it keeps going up in price. But that is pretty easy.

MY BIGGEST DILEMMA NOW: Remember, I got that great rate for International LAX > B.A. (via Santiago) and return after cruise from Santiago to LAX (non stop). Well, since I added the tour, I don't end up in SCL. I end up in Lima, Peru and I see > $700 for this international LIM > SCL and the times suck. My inbound is supposed to leave SCL at 11:55 PM on 7 February. Since I have not paid for my beginning international ticket yet, should I try to change it (booked on LAN Chili) to inbound Lima > LAX

I shall ask my Art Hotel about the transfer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help again, Great all the time (not just in the morning). ;)

I am totally confused. You booked the tickets but have not paid for them??? And now you need to change??? What day are you now planning to leave Lima OR Santiago???

And you are going on a Princess trip to MP???? I thought you were doing it on your own. ALL trains (even the backpacker) are Orient Express-OE OWNS Peru Rail now. Do you mean the Hiram Bingham???? Save your money-you miss the absolutely fantastic zig zag out of Cusco. The HB leaves from either Poroy or Ollay, depending on the package. They BUS you out of Cusco. You MISS all the areas that show what REAL Peruvian life is like. The Orient Express experience is best experienced by TOURISTS, not TRAVELERS.

http://www.perurail.com/web/tper/tper_a2a_home.jsp

Sorry to say it, but your itinerary on the Princess trip is another one of those rush, rush, rush trips through Lima/Cusco/MP. The plane will arrive from Lima most likely about 9 or 10AM. Then you will be taken to your hotel for a short "nap". And they love to tell you that you will become acclimated in the 3 hours BEFORE they load you on a bus and drag you to the Sun Temple, Sacsayhuaman, and a couple of other places around Cusco. By 6:00PM, you are out of breath and the LAST thing you want to do is see the magic in Plaza de Armas in the evening. Then the next morning, early departure to MP. Then following morning, leave Cusco for Lima again.

My suggestion: Take the late LAN flight to Lima (there are two-one at about 9:00PM, one at 10:30PM) the day your disembark your cruise. Either take a tour from Valpo to Santiago or rent a car and drive yourself. One day is MORE than enough to see the highlights in Santiago. There really is NOT that much to see in Santiago.

When you arrive Lima, go to my favorite little hotel and stay in my favorite little room-first floor, with all the wood and little patio with gorgeous flowers right outside the room. Breakfast included, room service for beer 24/7. In the middle of Miraflores-walking distance to everything in Miraflores. $45-55.00 INCLUDES airport pickup (but not drop off). This was an old mansion, now a hotel.

http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com/photos.htm

The photo showing the two chairs and table outside shows the front of my favorite room (where the drapes are).

Luis also has guides to take you around Lima.

The following day-EARLY flight on LAN to Cusco. There are dozens of hotels I can recommend. TAKE your time this day. Wander around the plaza, go to the train station to get your train tickets (a VERY Peruvian experience). You can even purchase Highram Bingham tickets (if you made pre reservations) Have dinner at Norton's Rat Tavern. See the Sun Temple (walking distance) and the art galleries down town. TODAY, take it VERY easy.

Day 3-I would take a tour to Pisac and the Sacred Valley. Easily bookable ANY place in Cusco (most hotels sell the same tours) for about $25.00.

Day 4-you are now acclimated and can do all the climbing required in MP to see the best sights in the ruins. Train up and back-Vistadome is the best deal going. You can hire a tour guide in Cusco OR just get a guide book and do it on your own. It is much more relaxing doing it on your own. The tours just push tooo hard through the ruins-pointing out all the "ruins" stuff and they miss watching the llama's in the middle of the ruins, sitting on the ledge watching the Urubamba River or sitting at the "guard house" watching the maniacs climbing Wayna Pichu.

Day 5-leave Cusco-you can either get to Lima and fly home to the USA OR take your original flight from SCL. Booking on LAN today, with the above parameters-$560.00 RT-SCL/Lima/Cusco and return to SCL. It may be advantageous just to keep your original LAN international reservation. You will have to check how much they are going to charge you to rebook.

By my calculations, same 5 days from Santiago to Cusco and back. BUT you get a full day in Lima, THREE days in Cusco AND the trip should cost you no more than $1000, including the same hotel in Cusco as the Princess tour (there are MUCH better hotels than the Librator).

Let me know about the air-that really has me confused. How did you book the ticket, but not pay for it??? Through a TA????

We spent 2 days in BA last Feb. before our Celebrity Cruise going around Cape Horn to Santiago. When you land in BA, you do not pay any tax on arriving. If we had landed in Santiago, then we would have had to pay a tax. Lucky us, there is no tax when you leave Santiago, so I guess we planned correctly and avoided airport taxes. We used Ana Luna for transportation from the airport in BA to the Marriott. We were supposed to use her for a half day tour of the city & then to the pier, but cancelled having found a much cheaper tour at our hotel. She was very sweet, car was clean, but spent most of the drive from the airport on her cell phone which I did not like. We had the hotel call a cab to the pier. We loved BA. It is a great walking city with lots to see. Dinners provided some of the best mouth watering beef I have ever had & I rarely eat beef. I hope this info helps.

Does anyone know anything about the Loi Suites hotel in BA?

We spent 2 days in BA last Feb. before our Celebrity Cruise going around Cape Horn to Santiago. When you land in BA, you do not pay any tax on arriving. If we had landed in Santiago, then we would have had to pay a tax. Lucky us, there is no tax when you leave Santiago, so I guess we planned correctly and avoided airport taxes. We used Ana Luna for transportation from the airport in BA to the Marriott. We were supposed to use her for a half day tour of the city & then to the pier, but cancelled having found a much cheaper tour at our hotel. She was very sweet, car was clean, but spent most of the drive from the airport on her cell phone which I did not like. We had the hotel call a cab to the pier. We loved BA. It is a great walking city with lots to see. Dinners provided some of the best mouth watering beef I have ever had & I rarely eat beef. I hope this info helps.

• 5 months later...

We used Carlos at Private Tours earlier this week. Our transfer from the ship to the Marriott was $20 in a private car with a/c. Our transfer to the airport was $40. We also did a great full day tour with him. From my research, it seems that I could have saved a few dollars, but I was very happy with Carlos and felt that his prices were reasonable based on the service provided (i.e. clean & new large vehicle, a/c being used, prompt driver, etc.).

How hot is it now in B.A.?

My Sister leaves in 2 days, and I leave in 2 weeks from tomorrow. :eek: :

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last Saturday (12/20) it was in the mid-to-high 90s and had been for several days. It was HOT and very humid. On Sunday, it cooled down to the high 70s with rain. By Monday, a cold front had settled in and it was in the high 60s - low 70s. The cold front was expected to hang around for much of last week. That's as far as I can get you. http://www.weather.com says it's 91 today.

• 2 months later...

I have the same question regarding the cost of a transfer from EZE to the Sofitel in Retiro. The concierge is quoting a price of $70USD for our party of three plus tolls-- one way. That seems high to me. What is the going rate? I thought it would more around $38-$40. Any companies that I can contact?

Thanks, Linda.

Archived