Looking for transfer recommendations in Athens to Piraeus port

bitobite

I will be cruising with Oceania starting in Athens and wondered if anyone can compare their bus transfer process with 1) either trying to get a taxi after I get my bags at the airport or 2) scheduling a taxi via the internet before leaving home or 3) hiring a private car if it doesn't cost much more. Are taxis reliable or is it better to hire a private car for efficiency purposes? I am concerned about waiting around for the Oceania bus to fill up before it departs and after a long flight, I would like to just grab the bags and go. If anyone can recommend the best method of transfer, I would appreciate it. Thanks much.

Are you going to the port directly from the airport?

Then book or take a taxi

What time do you arrive?

If before 11 am then I would book a taxi tour before the port or you just spend the time sitting at the port until you are allowed to board which depending on you cabin location may be quite awhile.

Maybe you can find others in the "roll call" on your sailing arriving at the same time frame to share a private car/taxi tour.

Hi,

We arrived to Piraeus after 35-day HKK-ATH cruise in May.

I was looking for a possibility to book Paul via Internet, but he was asking for upfront payment using CC, and I wasn't sure how it was going to work out with over a month before actual transfer... So we ended up with simply taking available taxi in Piraeus to Athens' hotel. The price was EUR 25.00 vs. Paul's 35.00; he also quoted me for EUR 50.00 from the hotel to the airport - we (again) just hired a taxi from hotel doors - it was less than EUR 30.00 vs. Paul's quoted EUR 50.00.

So my point is while Paul is highly regarded on CruiseCritic (and maybe rightly so), he is definitely ovepriced. I estimate you can get a taxi from the airport to Piraeus for about EUR 30.00-35.00 - no need to pay via Internet (releasing your credit card info, etc,) to Paul.

One more thing - I red a lot about swarms of cabbies in Piraeus and how they attack/huggle you after you exit the terminal, etc.... Nothing like that. We walked out, a couple of guys offered their service - very gracefully - and we picked the one which was the cheapest. Athens (and Piraeus) is a civilized city, you may eventually see some huggling, but if you keep your cool and be firm, you'll get what you want...

Enjoy your cruise!

Last year we took the express bus X96 to the port. Bus leaves directly from the arrival hall (exit door no. 4). On the left side is a kiosk to purchase ticket. The bus was right there when we arrived. The end of the line was the port. We got off the bus, took a cab (charged us 10 Euro) to the Regatta.

In May, I had pre-arranged with comfortdrive [comfortdrive@hol.gr] for a transfer from the port directly to the airport. I did prepay on VISA, and everything worked out well. I dealt with Chrisa in my e-mails, and we had a great driver, Stefanos. He even helped us with carrying luggage for temporary storage at the airport while we spent a few days in Santorini. Essentially, the car was similar to one of the Mercedes taxis you see at the port. I just liked the idea of having this taken care of in advance. The cost for the 2 of us was 48 Euros, though I did tip him extra because we had 4 very large, heavy bags and 2 carryons. I think the cost might be the same with 3 people and less luggage. I really didn't stress over providing the credit card information because I have always found it easy to dispute an erroneous charge.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be cruising with Oceania starting in Athens and wondered if anyone can compare their bus transfer process with 1) either trying to get a taxi after I get my bags at the airport or 2) scheduling a taxi via the internet before leaving home or 3) hiring a private car if it doesn't cost much more. Are taxis reliable or is it better to hire a private car for efficiency purposes? I am concerned about waiting around for the Oceania bus to fill up before it departs and after a long flight, I would like to just grab the bags and go. If anyone can recommend the best method of transfer, I would appreciate it. Thanks much.

Hi BITOBITE,

We are also looking for the same information. We arrive in Athens on September 1-st at 10:20 a.m. Our cruise Athens to Rome - Sept1-st leaves at 8 p.m.

We would prefer a transfer/tour to the port. We appreciate any advise or information.

Hi,

So my point is while Paul is highly regarded on CruiseCritic (and maybe rightly so), he is definitely ovepriced. I estimate you can get a taxi from the airport to Piraeus for about EUR 30.00-35.00 - no need to pay via Internet (releasing your credit card info, etc,) to Paul.

I too used Paul several years ago. The car was an air-conditioned late-model Mercedes, very comfortable and clean. So my question to you is, were your cabs comfortable, clean and cool? My (one) experience with a cab from Piraeus back to Athens after an island stay was a broken-down cab, with no a/c and a chain-smoking cabbie. So just wondering about your experience.

Hi Alla and Frank,

I appreciate all of the posts to my original request regarding a transfer. I will now feel comfortable arranging a transfer ahead of time with one of the recommended drivers mentioned in the posts. It sounds like it will cost more than just finding one at upon arrival at the airport, but the driver will be waiting and the car most likely will be in better shape. Just my personal preference after reading the above responses.

Archived