Coco Cay

Hi everyone. We sail on the Mariner in two weeks (can't wait!) and we've been looking into shore excursions, possible activities, etc. We also have two DDs, 12 and 8. I understand there is some sort of water park type area on Coco Cay but I don't know much about it. It's on the excursion list, so there's a fee involved. Can anyone tell me a little bit about it. Is it something I need to book ahead of time? Will my daughters like it (they're very comfortable in the water). Is there a time limit on how long they can spend there? And is it something DH and I might enjoy.

Thanks.

You may be referring to an area in relatively shallow water with a humongous floating pyramid, some sort of water trampoline and similar water fun. While I haven't tried it myself, I have watched many people, mostly kids, play out there and must admit that I thought it looked like terrific fun.

I think there is a time limit on the use of the water area. I'm 64 and I think the area would be lots of fun, but I seem to be stuck to the relaxing lounge chairs at Coco Cay instead. As for reserving ahead of time, I would to be safe and make reservations, but I have seen the area when no one was there for periods of time. Mariner is a much bigger ship, though. Everytime I have been at Coco Cay, I was on Majesty, so that has fewer passengers competing for amenities.

There is another fun feature at Coco Cay that is separate and has a separate fee. It is the very large water slide. I like to use lounge chairs in that area, so I can hear the folks on that water slide. From the screams, I'd say they are having tons of fun on that slide.

I hope you all like Coco Cay as much as I do.

There's really no reason to pay extra to use that "water park" at Coco Cay. You've paid to use the island in your fare---just let the kids play in the water, like they would at any beach!

Save you "excursion dollars" for a different port!

We just came back from the Mariner and Coco Cay was wonderful!! We have a 11 yr old and 8 yr old. We didn't book the water park ahead of time because we wanted to use our on board credit but booked it on the TV in our stateroom once we got on board. This was no problem. You sign up for a time slot-I believe they were hourly and you get 50 minutes in the water. This really is enough time though. All 4 of us signed up and enjoyed it. It is not relatively shallow water though. It is fairly deep. No one can touch the bottom and some people were going pretty deep off the rock wall slide. Everyone is required to wear a life jacket which my son didn't enjoy as his didn't fit well. My kids are also very comfortable in the water. The park has two sections that are pretty similar but one is for younger kids and the other part is for your age kids and adults. There is a water trampoline(which was probably our favorite) and some see-saw type inflatables. There was a rock wall with a slide on one side. And a spaceship looking thing that was fun for the teenagers. One warning though, you have to be pretty strong to pull yourself out of the water to get on these things. My 8 yr old struggled and got upset when he couldn't climb on some things.

That being said, both kids loved the huge water slide which is a separate charge but you get a discount if you book both the water park and the slide. And that is good for all day, anytime.

The kids both enjoyed going iguana hunting as well. There is a section where they found about 10 iguanas and some were pretty large.

There is also snorkeling which we did get to do but not for very long. The water was getting very rough and we were running out of time.

We loved Coco Cay and am sure you guys will too!! Have a great time on the Mariner as well.

Shhh....I'm whispering because I'm afraid a certain blonde chick-not-named-EBQ will bust me singing the praises of CoCo Cay. She likes Labadee better and us--well it's CoCo Cay for us.

So, let me add that if the kids like Snorkeling we were surprised that the snorkeling at CoCo was as good as it was. We've had better, but there is a submerged airplane at CoCo. And the reef over in the "advanced" area really was pretty decent. Even a couple of Rays in the water.

We think CoCo is well set-up, well run and a great beach day.

Legal Disclaimer: Any remarks in favor of CoCo Cay should not be heard to represent a dislike of Labadee to Bonnie Voyager. Should BV happen by this thread, or lurk to see what CLQ is talking about online, she should cut him slack and not beat him down too badly for expressing his like for CoCo Cay.

If you have the extra $ let your kids do the aqua park. Even though it only lasts an hour they will have a blast. Our kids did it last year and are still talking about it!:) They have two big pyramids to climb & slide down, 2 trampolines, two of these big water teeter totters, and a floating balance beam. I went with them last year so I could keep an eye on them but since they make them wear life jackets and there is a life guard I could've let them go on their own.:o

There are pictures of the water park area on the cruise line web site. There may even be videos. I've never done it, but looks like a lot of fun.

The Hobie Cats were "broken" down when I was there in May :( Hopefully they have them fixed, because they are a ton of fun.

Shhh....I'm whispering because I'm afraid a certain blonde chick-not-named-EBQ will bust me singing the praises of CoCo Cay. She likes Labadee better and us--well it's CoCo Cay for us.

So, let me add that if the kids like Snorkeling we were surprised that the snorkeling at CoCo was as good as it was. We've had better, but there is a submerged airplane at CoCo. And the reef over in the "advanced" area really was pretty decent. Even a couple of Rays in the water.

We think CoCo is well set-up, well run and a great beach day.

Legal Disclaimer: Any remarks in favor of CoCo Cay should not be heard to represent a dislike of Labadee to Bonnie Voyager. Should BV happen by this thread, or lurk to see what CLQ is talking about online, she should cut him slack and not beat him down too badly for expressing his like for CoCo Cay.

Let me point out that it's not that I don't like Coco Cay....I just like Labadee better! :D I would say the main distinguishing character for me is that Coco Cay's beauty (and it was beautiful) was "man-made" and Labadee's beauty was "God-made"...sort of like it dropped out of heaven and landed in the Caribbean.

Now....back to the regularly scheduled thread! ;)

Let me point out that it's not that I don't like Coco Cay....I just like Labadee better! :D I would say the main distinguishing character for me is that Coco Cay's beauty (and it was beautiful) was "man-made" and Labadee's beauty was "God-made"...sort of like it dropped out of heaven and landed in the Caribbean.

Now....back to the regularly scheduled thread! ;)

It's just that on this topic, you're so much fun to mess with I can't help myself. And, I never said you disliked CoCo. You just like to bust my chops because I like it...Can't help it that I'm a little spoiled about my islands.:)

Bonnie makes an important point. CoCo Cay is a bahamian island--a softer white sand and smooth shorelines with lots of ammenities. It has more of a "Disney" feel with the buildings and the set up. That's in contrast with its sister-island of Labadee which is more rustic and has the pebblier sand and rocky shorelines in places. Both great places in all candor.:)

It's just that on this topic, you're so much fun to mess with I can't help myself. And, I never said you disliked CoCo. You just like to bust my chops because I like it...Can't help it that I'm a little spoiled about my islands.:)

Wouldn't it be neat if we could find a cruise that just stopped at ALL the private islands? We could go from Coco Cay to Castaway Cay to Half Moon Cay to Princess Cay to Labadee...etc... :D I'd sign up for that ship in a heartbeat! ;)

Wouldn't it be neat if we could find a cruise that just stopped at ALL the private islands? We could go from Coco Cay to Castaway Cay to Half Moon Cay to Princess Cay to Labadee...etc... :D I'd sign up for that ship in a heartbeat! ;)
That'd be about the perfect cruise now that I'm thinking about it. I'd go on that in a minute! Especially for the 2 days at CoCo Cay!:eek:

That'd be about the perfect cruise now that I'm thinking about it. I'd go on that in a minute! Especially for the 2 days at CoCo Cay!:eek:

:p That's a different cruise! I'm going on the one that drops me off at Labadee and then comes back a week later and picks me up! :D

I would love a cruise like that. I wouldn't have to think before booking that one. And just think if we could dine in our swimware with a coverup we wouldn't even have to pack any clothes. :cool: :eek:

Archived