How much usable time in Whittier before boarding?

buttah75

We're flying from LAX non-stop to Anchorage, arriving at 12:17 the day of our cruise, which departs 9:30pm (I've noted all the warnings, but this is what we're doing - and not what I'm asking about!)

I'm just wondering, assuming our flight gets in on time, obviously... Once we've made the transfer to Whittier, will we have any time to spend in Whittier before boarding? is it at all possible to do, for example, a PWS tour before boarding the ship?

We're currently booked for the Princess transfer - I don't know whether that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

I also would be interested in knowing this. Our plane is due to arrive at 12:09 in Anchorage from Minneapolis. We are using Princess transfer also. Assuming the plane is on time (or close to) and after getting luggage and traveling to Whittier, how much time should we have before boarding the boat?

I think the latest PWS cruises start at ~ 1:30 and last 4-5 hours. You could rent an Avis car at the airport and drive to Whittier, making scenic stops along the way, but you don't have time for much else.

If it's not too late to make changes to your cruise air - you might still consider flying in the day before, staying in a hotel, and then taking the morning train or a shuttle to Whittier. You would arrive early enough to go on a PWS cruise. As it is, you're flying all the way to Anchorage and have allowed yourself little to no time to do anything except board your cruise ship.

you might be able to make the 2:20 alaska leopard tour from Anchorage to whiitier. the PWS tours start at 1:30. The avis rental is an option but expensive.

The Alaskan Leopard shuttle leaves Anchorage at 1:30, and would at least offer some touring along the way. The problem is - if the OP's flight is delayed, Alaskan Leopard doesn't wait and doesn't refund your money. http://alaskanleopard.com/Tours/whittier.htm

A one-way Avis rental is expensive, but transfers for 4 people aren't cheap, either.

Sorry, you don't have time for any boat tours, and likely would not make any 1:30pm transfer.

How have you planned on getting to Whittier??? A one way Avis car would offer you the most, I would spend a short time in Anchorage, then late afternoon, spend time on the Arm. Looking at getting through on the 6:30pm tunnel. A stop at Portage Glacier visitor center, verify hours, is excellent, and a brief stop in Girdwood, and tram, if of interest? Or adding the cheap Portage glacier boat tour.

thanks, everyone. I will consider.

Perhaps we'll just spend the time getting settled and relaxing on the ship.

BQ, those sound like fantastic ideas, but probably too "self-driven" for us 5 hours of flying.

Problem is, other than the boat cruises, there is not much to see and do in Whittier. There is a 4:30pm cruise on Portage Lake aboard the MV Ptarmigan which takes you to the face of Portage Glacier. It's nowhere near a Prince William Sound Cruise but it is a good way to pass an hour.

silly me, I thought PWS was out of Whittier, or nearby. I guess I need to study a map!

PWS (Prince William Sound) cruises are out of Whittier. The Portage Glacier is on the other side of the tunnel to Whittier. It would be hard for you to get to it from the Whittier side without a car.

Hello!

Day of flight and transfer to Whittier, I would enjoy the ship. Here's a clip from the Anchorage newspaper (ADN.com) about an accident on Portage Lake on Saturday 6/7. I drove (for work) to Whittier from Anchorage on Wednesday and the wind was just right and there were many large ice chunks (the size of cars) floating in the lake pushed to shore.

a 'fyi' - Portage lake is right before the tunnel into Whittier. You are not allowed to walk through it and vehicles go in/out of the tunnel based on the top/bottom of the hour. The tunnel is also shared with the train. Once you are in Whittier 'stay put', and enjoy the ship.

Though landing time and arrive time in Whittier sounds like plenty of time for other things - - as a local, I wouldn't. Traffic delays can be horrendous because of the two lane road, falling rocks, accidents and etc. Then there is the tunnel times to add into consideration.

Tour boat strikes iceberg during trip on Portage Lake

2 TO HOSPITAL: The vessel was diverted to get closer to a bear.

By JAMES HALPIN

jhalpin@adn.com

Published: June 7th, 2008 01:16 AM

Last Modified: June 7th, 2008 01:36 AM

A tour boat struck an iceberg while on a cruise of Portage Lake on Friday afternoon, injuring about a dozen passengers and sending two of them to Anchorage hospitals for treatment, according to Alaska State Troopers and Holland America.

The 80-foot M/V Ptarmigan collided with the floating chunk of ice just after 4 p.m., shortly after the vessel had diverted from its return voyage to get a better look at a bear on shore that a passenger had spotted, troopers Girdwood post supervisor Sgt. Bryan Barlow said.

"It sounded like he was maneuvering to continue the trip back and that's when the ice was struck," Barlow said. "As a result of the jolt or the impact, people fell down and hit the deck or the railing."

The size of the iceberg was uncertain, but Barlow, who responded to the scene, said he saw a few substantial chunks floating in the area, which was just about five minutes out from the dock near Begich, Boggs Visitor Center.

There were 186 passengers aboard the vessel at the time of the collision, according to Holland America, which owns Gray Line of Alaska and Portage Glacier Cruises. About a dozen people suffered bumps and bruises and were evaluated at the scene, then released, said Rose Abello, spokeswoman for Holland America. .....

Archived